This Zack And Wiki: Quest For Barbaros' Treasure LP Is A Stub.

Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure is an early Wii game that takes a lot of use of the motion controls for a fun little adventure game! I wouldn’t say the motion controls are perfect by any means, but by and large they’re pretty well implemented with only a few hiccups. It’s a neat little game I picked up back when I first got a Wii and flew pretty largely under the radar, having rather abysmal sales. I wouldn’t expect a sequel, but I do hope you’ll enjoy this! The game does a pretty good job of explaining itself so I won’t go into too much detail aside from saying that we’re a pirate on a quest for treasure, adventure, and GLORY! The first video will be a bit slow as it’s firmly in the tutorial zone, but things will pick up decently from the second video onwards. As this is a point and click adventure game, there will be plenty of opportunity for death scenes and unwinnable scenarios. All largely self-inflicted! I’ll be doing my best to show those off for each level along with various other cool bits and bobs.

Thread Participation!
The game has a decent appreciation for its own goofiness and the nature of high seas tall tales, so over time talking to one of our friendly crewmates you’ll hear rumors about members of the friendly crew, rival pirates, and about the legendary pirate Barbaros. Some of these conflict between what we’ve heard and what the man himself will tell us! Around the end of the majority of videos I’ll toss out a piece of Barbaros trivia. #barbarosfacts, if you will. I’ll start a poll with every video with a #barbarosfacts blurb and it will by the thread’s job to vote whether they think the fact is true or false. At the end of the thread I’ll go over each fact and give the thread a rating. Can you reach the coveted Unpuzzleable! rank?

Videos!

/Polsy!
/Polsy!#barbarosfacts poll
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!
/Polsy!

Bonus Videos??
Two Alternate Methods/Polsy!
Barbaros’s Bits/Polsy!

3 Likes

Dramatis Personae (in order of presentation)

Our faithful sidekick. Bell. Flying monkey. Thing. Wiki will always be on hand to offer up snark, advice, and point us in the right direction. And to assist us in getting there!

Our noble hero! Wit like a whip and stubborn to boot, he’ll never let danger get him down! Will he achieve his dream of becoming a RENOWNED PIRATE?

Ace pilot and wisdom dispenser, Johnny will be seen around the areas we visit often offering advice and fleeing from danger. Except he knows Zack and Wiki have got this, they don’t need his help!

Our rival and captain of the Rose Rock Crew. Has a bunch of money and isn’t afraid to throw it around. Where a pirate is ranked by how many treasures they get, the Rose Rock Crew wants to grab everything!

No crew would be complete without a set of goons to carry out the captain’s every wish. These guys seem to be damn near invincible, bouncing back from anything! Not the smartest of the bunch, though!

The Legendary Pirate himself! Though he’s looking a bit thin. Barbaros seems to have some past with Wiki, but I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about!

Snitch and victim of a perpetual nasal drip. Dimmy will give us advice on gameplay and also offer us rumors about everyone we meet! (Rumors may not reflect reality)

Incredibly lazy, Loafrey will let us practice with any contraptions or items we run across in game. If you’re going to avoid work, you’ve got to know how to do it first!

Granny runs the crew’s shop, where we’ll get items to offer to the Oracle to gain hints and rewind time if we meet a cruel fate. Also she told me to write that she is incredibly beautiful.

The Big Man of the Sea Rabbits, Captain Hulk is rumored to have been quite the adventurer in his day. We’ll need to check in with him before we head out anywhere!

Ace treasure hunter, Maddy spends more time outside of the hideout than in it. He’ll seek out the small stuff to fill out the bookcase while we seek out the big stuff!

Mysterious Treasures!

Barbaros’ Pieces!

The Elend Bracelet found at the Pit of Tragedy

The Grauen Goblet found at the Three Colossi

The Neid Anchor found with the Flute of the Growlin’ Goblins

The Abscheu Scope found behind the Fountain Guardian

The Verbitterung Axe found with The Crystal Key

The Leid Goblet stolen from The Keeper of the Ice

The Qual Hammer buried within The Icicle of Prosperity

The Ekel Bracelet found at The Bridge of Doom

The Zorn Candleabra found at the Lake of Fire

The Erstaunen Hammer taken from the Relics of the Past

The Trauer Axe found under some Dragon Scales

The Einsamkeit Belt pilfered from the Bell Tower of Requiem

The Groll Anchor found at the Painted Secret

The Entsetzen Compass grabbed from smashing Mirror, Mirror

The Angst Hourglass from performing Mad Science

The Verlangen Hat from the Return of the Legend

1 Like

Wiki’s casual disregard for Zack’s safety is a glorious thing. This is a very charming game and I think I’m gonna enjoy this ride.

It’s been far too long since I’ve seen this game. A level-based Sierra game is a really good idea, and I adore this game’s style. Zack’s one of my favorite silent protagonists and I enjoy the noises he makes.

I did not remember the wanted poster that comes up after a level, and honestly I’m hoping Zack and Wiki never grow in infamy. That picture is perfect as is.

Oh nice. This is probably in my top ten underrated Wii games. The puzzles are really clever and a lot of them have multiple solutions, and I remember spending a lot of time trying to find new ways to do each puzzle.
Also Wiki is the best. He does not give a shit.

[citation needed]

1 Like

It’s time for our first REAL MISSION! Luckily (as everyone has been quite concerned), Wiki is not nearly as hand-holdy from here on out. It’s sink or swim! It’s also time for your first #barbarosfacts quiz. Barbaros’ golden rule of piracy: keep the Wii Remote wrist strap attached at all times!

2 Likes

It’s time now for another perilous adventure, where Zack’s lack of appreciation for the third dimension can leave his attempts at treasure hunting falling a bit flat.

/Polsy!

2 Likes

I love that Rube Goldberg machine of doom. It’s just so needlessly complicated and yet so worryingly effective.

Whoever spent so much time locking up these pieces of Barbaros must’ve really been intent on making sure he doesn’t get put together. Can’t imagine why, probably nothing important.

Diplomacy seems to have broken down.

1 Like

Those goblins are adorable. Terrifyingly bloodthirsty, sure, but mostly adorable.

Pshaw, they’re just extra protective of things.

Time for a nice relaxing fishing expedition.

/Polsy!

2 Likes

It’s time to finish off the Jungle Ruins with a bang! And maybe a whimper!

2 Likes

A short and sweet introduction to the frozen temple. Not much to see here!

/Polsy!

1 Like

Oh wow, ice world already? For some reason I thought I’d forgotten a world theme, but I guess not.

It’s rather nice of them to start the world off with a level that doesn’t kill you at all. That won’t last.

They pull out the ice world stops pretty quick, and the ice world really isn’t that bad aside from difficulty seeing glints against white snow. You are right though, the deathless options won’t last!

1 Like

I feel like Keeper of the Ice is one of the more “iconic” stages of the game to me. There’s just a whole lot of neat puzzles, and the overall setting is fairly memorable. It may have also been the first stage I’d seen of the game, which would explain why it’s so memorable to me.

Keeper of the Ice is prob one of my favorites, too. It’s also super tense your first time through.

I remember Keeper of the Ice having a nice impact on me when I played through it the first time, and it’s something that kinda gets lost with the LP is the fun of figuring things out or the trial and error. I can show off some of the charming stuff, but people don’t quite get the same feeling of accomplishment and whatnot and I’m not sure what to do about that. Alas! Time to move on!

/Polsy!

2 Likes