The closest thing we'll get to HL3 - Let's Play Metro: Last Light

There’s a couple up on the LPArchive, so I wouldn’t stress about it. Watching a subtitled one at the moment actually - boy, those don’t really exist much anymore, do they?

Yeah, those are the ones I linked in the OP, but they are not the Redux version of the game, and I think the updated graphics engine alone justifies taking another stab at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV3xP8-4BRs

Also what do you mean you subtitled LP’s don’t exist much anymore! You’re posting in one! :kissing_cat:

Joking aside, this came up where I originally posted the LP, so let me quote myself on my thought process:

I was originally planning to make this a voiced LP, thinking I’d have to time any commentary as not to talk over dialogue, but I began playing and realised that people talked way more than I remembered and that the lulls in the “conversations” were not long enough for anything longer than a sentence, which would sound super weird, so I gave subtitles a try. I found I could settle into a nice rhythm with some one-off remarks and jokes in between conversations and longer stuff like mechanics or gameplay stuff when people finally shut up that I hope believe goes well with the natural flow of the game; I’m not sure I could have managed that doing voice commentary.

I’m also trying to not be too tone-deaf with what’s happening on screen, so I try to keep quiet during more serious/sober stuff or a particularly atmospheric bit, even if noone’s yapping on at the moment. That’s what I’m going for at least; I’m still new at this though, so I may still be calibrating that particular sensor. Hope some of it is making it through.

Also the sound design is fantastic and I wouldn’t want to spoil it with my voice. :stuck_out_tongue:

Metro 2033 was one of those games where I was super hyped about it from the trailers, but once it came out I had sort-of forgotten about it and never heard much about it from word of mouth to remind me to go see it anywhere… I’m choosing to just skip ahead to watching LL, but I very much agree with your praises on the atmosphere so far, and I do think a subtitled LP compliments this type of game well.

Also, that baby dark one is oddly… cute? Not in a squish-your-little-cheeks way, but in an I’d-feel-guilty-shooting-at-you way, which is an important if not uncommon distinction.

The Little Dark One is adorable and I won’t have anyone saying otherwise.

Hmm, I just edited in today’s update and it didn’t bump the thread like it used to; I was using that as a way to avoid spamming the thread with update posts but at the same time giving you guys a way of knowing a new update was up.

Should I just post everything I’ve got so far in the two main posts? (That’d be the full game, bonus ending and 2 of the DLC missions). I was doing ‘one a day’ to leave room for a bit of discussion, but I’m not sure it’s worth it since everyone can just access everything from my YT profile.

1 Like

:tw: Giant, fuck-off spider-scorpion hybrids. A metric shitton of them.

Where we become Musketeers.

Journal entries for this update:

2 Likes

[SPOILER]Oh god I’m planning on catching up with this LP a bit later but I remember playing through all those things. I’m terrified o spiders they really set me off in games. I am surprised I even managed it with how scary those fuckers are.[/SPOILER]

:tw: We’re back to the small spiders in the cobwebs, but there’s a bit of a jumpscare involving one at 5:46 when I turn the corpse over. Skip to 5:55.

Yeah, I don’t mind them so much but the bloody skittering noises are still erghhhhhhhh. There’s a DLC mission that’s a solid half hour of nothing but those bastards. It’s called “Spider Lair”.

Honestly? I’m fine with, uh… those things. It’s actually the smaller ones that look more like actual spiders that freak me out. Might just be that the bigger ones look more like scorpions than spiders and I find those things cool.

Korbut is a super short level, so have 2 updates! :kissing_cat:

2 Likes
2 Likes

i really like last light, but they made a fatal error in bandits, one which i’m glad you didn’t take advantage of. namely the fact they foolishly left a merchant who will buy guns for military ammo on a map full of people to carrying guns.

Dual update again since Dark Water is super short; I should have posted it alongside Bandits, which I have no idea why it doesn’t end after you crash Regina; they could/should have made the flooded station part of Dark Water, especially considering how short it is.

Bandits is a long level already, and has a lot of backtracking and riding around Regina, so a half hour of me going back to the merchant to sell a couple automatic pistols would have been the most boring video ever. :stuck_out_tongue:
Not to mention that money is not hard to come by precisely; even after a shopping spree in a couple videos (and a really dumb weapon purchase further down the line), we’ll hit the “get 1000 MGR” achievement during this run.

So, here’s the deal. I was posting one video a day to leave some breathing room for discussion, but let’s be honest here, it’s not happening, and with my editing the OP not bumping the thread anymore, I had to keep spamming a daily post just to give you guys a heads up.

I’ve decided to stop spamming the forums since the LP itself was almost completed by the time I started it here, and just update the OP (and second post with the journal entries) with everything available so far. I’ll be updating on Mondays from now on for the few videos we have left.

For the DLC, the ‘release order’ is DLC01 - Anna - DLC02 - Pavel. They’re not related, but I tend to make references to past videos so you may want to check them out in order (the YT playlist has them in release order).

:nws: on video 20: there’s a nipple.Yes, singular. Just a heads up if you’re watching at work, it shows up from 1:20 to 2:00 approximately.

Thanks for watching, hope you enjoy it! See you on Monday.

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

Where we look at things from a distance. Through a scope.

Sorry about the lack of update last Monday, it was an… eventful week and I couldn’t muster the time nor the energy to edit/subtitle.
We have 3 more videos to go: Khan’s mission from Chronicles, a quick look at the Developer Pack, and Kshatriya, the last mission from the Factions Pack. I won’t be doing Tower Pack because it’s rubbish; I may show off the first couple levels alongside Developer but I’m not promising it at this point. Kshatriya is gonna take me a while to do, I have 37 gb of raw footage (and I may have to re-record some sections) for it and I want to see about editing it in a way that shows off the mission but doesn’t become a 2 hour long bore, since there’s a lot of backtracking. I think I have a good ‘route’ by now, so we’ll see how it goes.

/edit: Apologies for the subtitling mistake right after the first zipline. I changed the line and it slipped; but changing it now would mean taking the video down for 4 or 5 hours until I re-encode and upload it and I don’t think it’s worth it. :expressionless:

1 Like

Getting through this LP up to and including this latest video, I feel like everywhere I just keep hearing Steve Bl-

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, I thought I recognized the Americanized Russian accent somewhere!

Bloody hell, I don’t know how you spotted that but good catch.

I would have loved to leave the Russian voices in, but unfortunately they don’t have subtitles for most of the ‘background’ conversations; it has subtitles for the same bits of dialogue the English voices have, so it ends up looking like this:

Which is… not ideal, considering what makes the Metro games is their utterly fantastic worldbuilding.

I had another quick look at the IMDB and uh… huh. What do you know?

I really can’t remember where they were in the game bu-

HOLD ON WHAT?! WHERE?!