The closest thing we'll get to HL3 - Let's Play Metro: Last Light

i really like last light, but they made a fatal error in bandits, one which i’m glad you didn’t take advantage of. namely the fact they foolishly left a merchant who will buy guns for military ammo on a map full of people to carrying guns.

Dual update again since Dark Water is super short; I should have posted it alongside Bandits, which I have no idea why it doesn’t end after you crash Regina; they could/should have made the flooded station part of Dark Water, especially considering how short it is.

Bandits is a long level already, and has a lot of backtracking and riding around Regina, so a half hour of me going back to the merchant to sell a couple automatic pistols would have been the most boring video ever. :stuck_out_tongue:
Not to mention that money is not hard to come by precisely; even after a shopping spree in a couple videos (and a really dumb weapon purchase further down the line), we’ll hit the “get 1000 MGR” achievement during this run.

So, here’s the deal. I was posting one video a day to leave some breathing room for discussion, but let’s be honest here, it’s not happening, and with my editing the OP not bumping the thread anymore, I had to keep spamming a daily post just to give you guys a heads up.

I’ve decided to stop spamming the forums since the LP itself was almost completed by the time I started it here, and just update the OP (and second post with the journal entries) with everything available so far. I’ll be updating on Mondays from now on for the few videos we have left.

For the DLC, the ‘release order’ is DLC01 - Anna - DLC02 - Pavel. They’re not related, but I tend to make references to past videos so you may want to check them out in order (the YT playlist has them in release order).

:nws: on video 20: there’s a nipple.Yes, singular. Just a heads up if you’re watching at work, it shows up from 1:20 to 2:00 approximately.

Thanks for watching, hope you enjoy it! See you on Monday.

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

Where we look at things from a distance. Through a scope.

Sorry about the lack of update last Monday, it was an… eventful week and I couldn’t muster the time nor the energy to edit/subtitle.
We have 3 more videos to go: Khan’s mission from Chronicles, a quick look at the Developer Pack, and Kshatriya, the last mission from the Factions Pack. I won’t be doing Tower Pack because it’s rubbish; I may show off the first couple levels alongside Developer but I’m not promising it at this point. Kshatriya is gonna take me a while to do, I have 37 gb of raw footage (and I may have to re-record some sections) for it and I want to see about editing it in a way that shows off the mission but doesn’t become a 2 hour long bore, since there’s a lot of backtracking. I think I have a good ‘route’ by now, so we’ll see how it goes.

/edit: Apologies for the subtitling mistake right after the first zipline. I changed the line and it slipped; but changing it now would mean taking the video down for 4 or 5 hours until I re-encode and upload it and I don’t think it’s worth it. :expressionless:

1 Like

Getting through this LP up to and including this latest video, I feel like everywhere I just keep hearing Steve Bl-

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, I thought I recognized the Americanized Russian accent somewhere!

Bloody hell, I don’t know how you spotted that but good catch.

I would have loved to leave the Russian voices in, but unfortunately they don’t have subtitles for most of the ‘background’ conversations; it has subtitles for the same bits of dialogue the English voices have, so it ends up looking like this:

Which is… not ideal, considering what makes the Metro games is their utterly fantastic worldbuilding.

I had another quick look at the IMDB and uh… huh. What do you know?

I really can’t remember where they were in the game bu-

HOLD ON WHAT?! WHERE?!

Ahahaha, holy crap, they’re all here! Man, seems like they have more voice actors than in-game models (I keep spotting the bartender from Venice everywhere, he’ll show up again in Kshatriya).

Robin Atkin Dowes is Fuhrer:

:siren: Update time! :siren:

Where we go on a journey to the past.

Here’s a better look at the Bigun:

And this is the contest it originated from:

(How this didn’t win I have no idea).

1 Like

The rat launcher is cool and the winning entry was pretty inventive, but I can only imagine that this gun wasn’t chosen because there has got to be some fucker running around the metro with this already:

“Viktor, how are you going to fire that missile without the launcher?”

“Launcher? No, no. This is for style, not function.”

“You see, when you run out of ammo you can stab mutants. And if the mutants are too far to stab, you just rocket-propel the knife towards them!”

By the way, this is The Mobius trailer, which I mention in the last video and I strongly recommend watching:

The Mobius was created by Alexander Bereznyak, aka Monakh, who was originally employed by 4A as a capture artist. Soon it turned out that his talent was needed in the production team and he took over the role as lead technical artist. But over a couple of months, he continued to work alone on this trailer, that is now made public.

:siren: Update time! :siren:

Where we know true fear.

One more video to go! Kshatriya is one of the best DLC levels, but it’s also really long so it may take me a bit longer to do; expect it to be up in two Mondays from now…

I just… I can’t believe we’re not getting the full Tower experience. How, without endless waves of innumerable, bullet-sponge enemies, can I truly understand what a post-apocalyptic Horde mode is like? How could you???

(Holy shit, how was that first battle a good difficulty to start something like a single player tower defense-style horde mode?)

And is that spectral janitor supposed to be creeping around like that??

That was the first out of 5 levels, and the second one is called “Nosalis Nightmare”, has 5 waves instead of 2, and the Wiki has this to say about it:

Level 2 - Nosalis Nightmare
For many players, regardless of how little trouble with Level 1 they had, this second level is a massive roadblock

No way in hell I was playing through that after it took me forever to complete level 1.

I think the Janitor is time-triggered. The first few times I went into Developer to check out the level and get a rough idea of how to record it, she just stood against the wall creeping, it wasn’t until that bit I got on tape when she started going all eldritch on me.

:siren: Final update time! :siren:

Where we go to the Library.

Here’s a map of the level in case you’re curious:

Some stuff I didn’t mention during the video (or that I didn’t know at the time):
-You can’t ‘top up’ on lightbulbs, you need to spend all 6 before you can pick more up.
-Kuzmich has a pet Lurker, sometimes it’s on his shoulder, sometimes in that cage near the filters. I stare at it a couple times.
-The fucking vines do extra damage to your mask, that’s why I had to replace mine at one point before the first Librarian room.

This is the last piece of DLC, officialy markinging the end of this LP. We do end on a high note, since Kshatriya is one of the best (if not THE best) of the DLC missions.

And before we go, dare I ask a bit of a favour? This was my first LP. I learned a lot making it and while I like to think it wasn’t a complete disaster I’m pretty sure there’s room for improvement, so it would really help me if you could take a couple minutes and tell me your thoughts about the LP. What did you like? What didn’t you like? Did I ‘speak’ too much? Too little? Did I nail the commentary style/tone, or was I too flippant/too serious?
Any and all comments would be appreciated, even if it’s just stating your personal preference regarding some aspect of the LP. Just, you know, don’t be a dick about it.

Goodbye! Farewell! Parting is such sweet sorrow.

See you next LP.

Well, of course you couldn’t hit that demon, it was using its levitation powers to distract you while it flew around.

Anway, on to your questions.

What did you like?

Stealth.

What didn’t you like?

Nosalises.

But seriously, this was a really good LP with really good commentary. Personally, I liked the tone you took, especially when shit hit the fan and, uh, maybe you missed a few shots here and there and panicked. Metro LL isn’t some big drama where being silly would be a distraction, so I thought it worked to mock the game at some points.

To give you an idea, I was just about to call bullshit on this:

This was my first LP.

You’ve got your shit pretty well together for your first LP outing.

Hey, thanks! It means a lot seeing that people actually seem to have liked the commentary since it’s probably the only thing I can consider to be 100% ‘mine’.

My actual playthrough wasn’t very different from what someone replaying the game and using a guide to find the journals would experience; it’s not like I am a walking compendium of trivia and minutiae from the game. My fps skillz are… well, you saw me play. I’m competent enough not to be distracting, but the atmosphere and feel of the game speak for themselves most of the time and I feel it would be really hard to be so bad at the game to actually detract from them.

Recording and editing are comically easy nowadays, so can’t take credit for that either. (Except for the intro to the bad ending video, I’m super proud of that :ocelot:).

I felt the only way I had to make the LP ‘mine’ was through the commentary, so if i managed not only not to fuck that up but actually succeeded in making it enjoyable and to make it feel like it belonged there then fuck, I managed to do more than I set out to and I’m super happy about it. :grin:

I’ve no idea what you’re talking about. I was always in control of the situation.

Plenty of excellent LPs out there to draw from, and lots of fantastic people willing to give a hand.