The Anime Thread: It's not just for kids! It's deep! It's EMOTIONAL!!!

haibane renmei is extremely good and i’d watch it

1 Like

Can anyone recommend me a good Psychological anime? something like Paranoia Agent and Serial Experiments Lain or to a lesser extent Boogiepop Phantom and Sci-fi Harry. I have Erased to watch but the subject matter is a bit too real compared to what I am looking for and I haven’t heard of a good one since I was binging these sort of shows in the mid 00s. Also related to this is Higurashi worth going back to I dropped it in the second or third cycle because I didn’t get the format but I have watched and played Umineko since and wonder if Higurashi is worth exploring too.

I was going to recommend Boogiepop Phantom because that is one of my favorite anime ever. Psychological may not be the best word for it but Ergo Proxy has similar vibes. Shinsekai Yori(From The New World) is also a good watch in a similar vein.

EDIT: Here’s another reason to watch Ergo Proxy
http://imgur.com/k4yEgcM
http://imgur.com/qqs58B1

3 Likes

Is there a place online now where people can legally watch the entirety of Princess Tutu? Asking for a friend, who is me, and wants to make people watch Princess Tutu.

I know the first season was on Netflix for awhile but I only see season one and not season two. I own a copy of the whole thing on DVD and could stream it but I’d rather folks watch it in their own time. Any help?

New Info just dropped last night on the second Kino’s Journey anime. I wasn’t excited when I heard the news that they were going to make another one and with the staff reveal I’m still not. But I am still hoping that it will be good.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/06/09-1/new-kinos-journey-the-beautiful-world-tv-anime-gets-its-initial-cast-and-staff

A nice touch is that the new VA for Kino is the same VA as the girl she visits in the final episode of the original show.

From a quick check it seems to be on Hulu.

EDIT: Since I recommend Ergo Proxy a bit ago I should also mention that Crunchyroll added that it’s it’s back catalog from it’s deal with Funimation.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/06/08/crunchyroll-adds-more-fan-favorite-series-from-funimation

I believe Princess Tutu is also available through standard Amazon Prime, though to note I believe it might be dub-only.

Also, for anyone who’s keeping up with seasonal stuff, how is Kado: The Right Answer shaping up? I know it’s almost over, but I’ve been considering for about 10 weeks of dropping Boruto and picking that up. Is it any good? Seem like it’s going to wrap up satisfactorily?

Pluto anime teased/announced in France, info we know so far it’s produced by Masao Maruyama (his dream project), animated by MAPPA, split into 8 extended episodes (1 per volume), and supervised by Urasawa himself
people are bringing up that Urasawa tends to meddle in adaptations of his work and that’s why Monster is paced so weirdly, but my take is Pluto is so tight already compared to his other work so it could be fine

2 Likes

Not sure why I never posted them before but with the new season coming up here are some links that will help you check out upcoming anime.

http://anichart.net/?season=summer&year=2017&type=Tv&sort=title_romaji

I still want a 20th Century Boys anime. I only read 1 volume of Pluto but I hope this means more Urasawa adaptions so we can also get Billy Bat (A comic which features JFK, Jesus and A cartoon Bat.)

1 Like

Not that I would recommend it but there’s that one motorcycle anime with high school girls from a couple seasons back that has anime JFK and motorcycle Jesus in it

Found out my local cinema was taken over by a different company - One good thing to come from it is that this new company does show anime movies and an exciting one is on the “Coming soon” Schedule.

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/films/perfect-blue-20th-anniversary

I have watched it before but I have not seen any of Satoshi Kon’s work on the big screen.

1 Like

New anime season is now officially underway. If you want a somewhat in-depth overview of most of it forums poster ChorpSaway did a preview of it in their anime podcast Cocoa Disaster.

I can’t believe I haven’t written in this thread yet.

If I had to name favorites they would be: Barakamon, Flying Witch, Haikyuu!!, Little Witch Academia, Mob Psycho 100, Monthly Girl’s Nozaki Kun, My Hero Academia, Nichijou, JoJo’s, One Punch Man, Shirobako, Sound! Euphonium, Steins;Gate, Sweetness and Lightning, Your Lie in April, Yuri!!! on Ice, Avatar/Korra (If you’re willing to count it), and I have a love/hate relationship with Gintama.

With genres, I’m usually willing to try anything good, but I mostly go for comedy and/or slice-of-life, but I have a real soft spot for things that are real adorable. Also, action in things like Hero Academia or Gintama is real fun to watch too. And because of Haikyuu!! I’ve gotten more and more into sports anime.

From the current season: Made in Abyss has to be my favorite one so far, the world they built is super interesting, and I like seeing the creatures that inhabit it. I don’t know what to think after episode 10 though because what the fuck.
Welcome to the Ballroom has also been something really good, and Restaurant to Another World is great for winding down and relaxing. Sakura Quest was much more different than what I imagined, but I’ve enjoyed it nonetheless, and another surprise would be Princess Principal which has been pretty cool so far. And of course, My Hero Academia continues to be top notch :ok_hand:.
I was watching Magical Circle and The Reflection; the former was pretty entertaining, but then it got…bad. :tw: kind of bad. And the latter just felt weirdly paced, and the animation felt stilted.

And anime is Real.

I’ve been keeping up with both Magical Circle(despite telling myself I wouldn’t) and The Reflection. I’m a sucker for superheroes and it’s giving me that fix I need since I don’t really care for My Hero Academia.

The anime I would most recommend from this season so far is Vatican Miracle examiners. Just because it gets pretty silly pretty quick but it still takes itself and it’s ridiculous story seriously enough that it’s effective.

The problem with Vatican Miracle Examiner is that while it does go in some real batshit directions with its mysteries, the build-up is poorly paced and can often be tedious because of that. If you have the patience though, that show is basically the Da Vinci Code But More Extra, with maybe a moderately lesser sense of self-importance.

1 Like

I watched two episodes of Miracle Examiner, but didn’t really get into it, but if it really does get more ridiculous as it goes on, I’ll give it another shot.
While I didn’t like The Reflection, I have to say that I liked what I got to see of I-Guy, like how he had a team devoted to making him look cooler, and how he had an in-universe theme song they played every time he appeared, which I also liked.

1 Like

Vatican Miracle Examiner puts all its cards on the table at the end of its first mystery, which is four episodes in total. It also puts several other series’ cards on the table, as well as some cards it drew in crayon that it added to the deck. It is a Bad show but the payoff for the mysteries is generally entertaining.

1 Like

I-Guy’s theme song is what really sold me on the show. The idea that this hero would blast his own music as he fights to put on a Sky Show is really cool and something I love.They also keep setting up the full reveal of a Japanese group of superhero Magical Girls and that’s something I’m looking forward too a lot.

Recently I started watching Armored Troopers VOTOMS and Great teacher Onizuka. I’ve been enjoying both but I lreally only like GTO for it’s OP and style. Also started trying to watch as many anime based on video games as possibleso if you know of any let me know so I can right them down. I’ve watched the Professor Layton and Animal Crossing movies along with the Tower of Druaga anime so far.

Tower of Druaga is way better than it has any right to be

The video game based anime series that I’ve watched are Stein;Gate, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, Danganronpa: The Animation, the recent Castlevania one, and God Eater (which I didn’t actually finish, but still). For anime movies, I’ve watched Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker, Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike, Last Order: Final Fantasy VII, and Animal Crossing.
There’s also this list on wikipedia with a lot of them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anime_based_on_video_games

I also know about one series coming out in october based on a visual novel called Code:Realize. Hope some of this helps. :slightly_smiling_face: