The Anime Thread: It's not just for kids! It's deep! It's EMOTIONAL!!!

I’ve been getting some good usage out of Funimation recently with the Koro Sensei Quest dub, but they’ve also been dubbing Akiba’s Trip and that anime is too good. It manages to make fun of the premise, otaku culture, and anime in general. At the same time though, it celebrates all of those. I really recommend at least checking out the first two or three episodes, just to see if you like it.

Just like, know it’s Real Fuckin’ Dumb beforehand.

My favorite anime would be Baccano! It’s one of those shows I never get bored of. Most of my other favorites are the usual suspects: Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Trigun, etc.

Also, Cromartie High School is amazing. I need to rewatch that show.

1 Like

Would it be kosher to post a video I made about my favorite anime. I already posted one of mine in the youtube thread, and I don’t want to come across like I’m spamming my stuff all over the board. :sweat:

Go ahead! Nothing wrong with promoting your stuff a little, as long as it’s relevant to the topic.

Well, this is it at least. It’s a little rough around the edges, but I’m proud of it.

I’ll answer my own questions 'cause I’m bored.

• Favourite series: Hard to pick, but I’d say it’s a tie between Love Live! Sunshine!! and Sound! Euphonium. They’re both music shows featuring relatable characters and really well written relationships. They make me laugh, they make me cry, I love them.

• Genres: I’ll watch pretty much anything as long as it’s good, but I’m mainly drawn to music anime, which is probably obvious considering my last answer. I like action-y stuff too, particularly things like Redline and Mob Psycho 100, which present their action in really cool stylish ways. Comedy shows can be fun also, I love shows like Cromartie High and Sabagebu!

• Shows from this season: I try to watch a bit of every show each season in case something surprises me. Nothing has really cemented itself in my watch list yet, except for Little Witch Academia. It’s really charming and fun so far!

• Is anime real? Anime is real.

1 Like

Anime couldn’t be more real, friends.

This season I’m watching Little Witch Academia and Interviews with Monster Girls, though I’ve heard some good things about other series that are making me want to take a peak. I’m pretty terrible about keeping up with shows, though, so I’d hate to put too much on my watchlist.

• Favorite series: FLCL
  • Genres: I watch pretty much anything, depending on the mood.
  • Current season: Errr… what’s going on in the current season, I haven’t kept track? Was Joker Game and Death Parade last season? I liked those.
  • Is anime real: Yes.
1 Like

Everyone fuckin watch little witch academia its so good

I really need to catch up on jojo im still only on part 2…

1 Like

Favorite Series: Original Dirty Pair both TV series and OVAs and the Project EDEN movie (I have the soundtracks to this series on vinyl)
I also am big on Cowboy Bebop, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Tatami Galaxy, Paranoia Agent, FLCL, Tonkatsu DJ, Baccano!, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Mitchiko and Hatchin, original Speed Racer. If we’re talking movies, uh… you have a few hours, right?

Genres: I’m always up for trashy 80s-90s cyberpunk. I tend to like shows with a strong artistic direction, which can fit in pretty much any genre. Really as long as it’s not a show where all you’re seeing is the inside of a classroom for 20 minutes and nothing happens, you can probably convince me to watch an episode.

This Season: Little Witch Academia; goofy, vibrant, and incredibly well animated.

Is Anime Real: no

I’m part of the “Most anime is trash but god when there’s a diamond in the rough, boy is it shiny” crowd. I love the few animes I like which is why I haven’t given up on the medium as a whole, though.

My favs in no particular order:

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure
Sailor Moon
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Kill La Kill
Does RWBY count lol?
Fate/Zero and UBW
FLCL
Berserk
Anything by Junji Ito

Berserk, Junji, and Madoka(and jojo to an extant) fill my horror needs while having really great stories.

I was always a Sailor Moon kid and never liked DBZ, and SM was my entire childhood. Madoka Magica took a lot of things from that and made a fantastic mature modern take and didn’t skimp on the obvious lesbian implications either. Urobuchi is A+. (Sayaka is still my favorite)

FLCL and RWBY are just fun

I try to avoid fanservice animes but KLK(Gamagoori, Tsumugu) and Fate/(Archer, Rider, Lancers) fulfill my wish for equal opportunity fanservice instead of just the girls being sexualized and I’m all for that.

Though i still have a few ~guilty pleasures~ like Panty and Stocking.

Some good stuff:

• One Punch Man
  • FLCL
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Soul Eater

FLCL is just the right kind of dumb.
MP100 is just full of likable characters.
Soul Eater’s ending was so good.

2 Likes

I’m just a filthy casual that enjoys Dragon Ball Super. Who doesn’t want to watch gods play a casual game of baseball?

I’m making my first post on this forum to talk about how much I like 3gatsu No Lion. It’s like, a lot. I like it a lot. I read ahead in the manga after catching up on the show and everything is good and hard and perfect.

It really handles depression in the manner it should be handled in: unflinching but respectful. There’s no self-harm, there’s no grandiose gestures of unfailing sadness. Just soft-spoken spirals into quiet anguish.

And by the same token it goes out of its way to show that it believes that struggle has a purpose to it. I’m talking in broad strokes because I don’t want to lessen the impact of the show but it’s absolutely what I needed in rough, weird times.

4 Likes

I barely watch anime and TV but I’ve seen some lately. I suggest everyone to wath JoJo and Space Patrol Luluco. I loved those. Oh! And Mob Psycho 100.
I have no idea what anime have aired or are airing at the moment to be honest.

Also I saw this on twitter and have no idea if it is real or not https://twitter.com/DUCKNUTS/status/746384762248507392

It’s not, but it might as well be. Macross 7 is rock powered fighter jets versus space vampires and it kinda rules.

I have a love/hate relationship with Kill La Kill. I love the action, humor and the beautiful animation and the story is actually pretty good, if a bit overly absurd. But the fanservice is sooo baaad I feel kinda dirty watching it?

I got halfway through Kill la Kill before that shit turned me off, so I get what you mean there.

Did you get to the part where everyone had to be naked? Because that happens!

I think so? Basically everything about that series escaped my mind the second I stopped watching.