Stay a While and Let's Play Diablo

Direct Link

Today CirclMaster joins me as Rogue ventures down to level 3 to face the cursed King Leoric.

1 Like

Future speed up sections in the LP will feature semi-fitting background music. Rather than go through the La Mulana and Symphony of the Night soundtracks, I’m opening it up crowdsource style with an idea blatantly stolen from @Artix

https://goo.gl/forms/6QwNPluIQBgHAZCg2 That there is a link to a Google Form where you can anonyomously send youtube links to game music. As long as it isn’t something that’ll get my account suspended or smacked with a copyright strike, then I’ll see that it gets used at some point.

Direct Link

@Bohampscious joins in today as we venture down to level 4. I think they were hungry because they kept talking about cheese.

Oh and we retrieve an item stolen from Ogden.

2 Likes

The game you were thinking of, btw, was Blue Stinger
(and literally 5 seconds after I typed that while passing that part of the episode Bohampscious remembered it, dang)

2 Likes

Bo is my friend and is therefore cursed to never be allowed to forget Blue Stinger. It’s one of the many GOTCHAs to being a friend of mine

2 Likes

why ain’t you got no faith in me, huh?

It’s less an issue of my faith in you, more an issue of my faith in anyone voluntarily remembering blue stinger (I only remember cause I did fanart for that thread lol)

Direct Link

@YappingEevee joins again, as we make a detour to Diablo 3 to play through the first 4 floors of the 20th anniversary event that ran in January.

2 Likes

The low-res filter doesn’t really match the feel of Diablo 1 at all, though I don’t know that a shader could quite pull it off. Maybe a sort of tilt-shift/Ray Harryhausen effect would’ve been closer.

2 Likes

Well, the biggest issue is they’re trying to replicate a game built with 2-D sprites in a game built with 3-D models, which gives it a weird look. On top of that, D3’s a much faster game built for modern audiences on modern machines. If the frequent speed ups in the videos have done nothing else, they’ve reminded me of how plodding D1 was.

I think the throwback was a cool idea, but I almost feel like it would have worked better if they’d just muted the pallet or something. The models moving that quickly but looking that artifacted just doesn’t look very good to me. That said, I didn’t much care for D3, so take that with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

I often think of the shaders they used in Saints Row 4 for the retro beat 'em up section. I saw a friend play it and their ridiculous created character was roughly translated to that style, so it’s definitely not a complete trick.

2 Likes

If I remember right for Saints Row 4, they took your character model and scaled down its resolution until it was approximately a 16 bit sprite. I think all that’s being done here is a heavy pixellation filter.

EDIT: And restricting you to 8-directional movement.

2 Likes

Additionally, while SR4 is hearkening back to a genre of games with a general look and feel, D3 is hearkening back to a specific game with a very specific look and feel.

EDIT: Also, I never got far enough into SR4 to get to the retro bit due to a game breaking bug that hit me early on. Shame I missed out on that, cause that looks pretty great.

2 Likes

Direct Link

Goku enters floor 2 of the Diablo 3 anniversary event. CirclMastr also returns, and I poorly explain why Diablo 3 is so much fun.

1 Like

Direct Link

@Bohampscious joins again to discuss Diablo 3 and why using slow weapons is painful. Goku, meanwhile, kills King Leoric.

2 Likes

It’s interesting how much more quickly you can fly through floors when you aren’t moving at a snail’s pace through a labyrinthine cathedral that is frankly too big for it’s own good.

You see what happens when you build crazy catacomb like floors beneath your cathedral? God damn Hell portals, that’s what.

2 Likes

Direct Link

Goku goes down to floor 4, and CirclMastr joins again. The next update will pick back up with Rogue’s adventures on floor 5.

1 Like

Direct Link

It’s Monday, so that means it’s another Diablo update. This time we’re continuing down to level 5 of the labyrinth to find legendary treasure. @YappingEevee also returns once again!

2 Likes

Direct Link

Floor 6! Chamber of Bone! @Bohampscious!

2 Likes

*Chamber of Bonehampscious

1 Like