Sonic is.... good?

• Perhaps Sonic is good?
  • No, Sonic is quite bad

0 voters

Last year was Sonic the Hedgehog’s 25th anniversary, so to celebrate they announced two new games! …Coming in 2017.

Sonic Mania is the first of the two games to be released this year. Developed by the same team that created the amazing Sonic CD port for Steam, Android, and iOS, as well as ports for Sonic 1 and 2 for mobile devices, Sonic Mania is a brand new 2D adventure coming out this Spring on Steam, and for Playstation 4, Xbox 1, and Nintendo Switch.

Announcement Trailer
12 Minutes of Gameplay from Polygon
Knuckles in Flying Battery

Sonic Forces is a game releasing later this year, and features 3 playable characters: Modern Sonic, with 2D/3D gameplay similar to Sonic Unleashed, Classic Sonic, with 2D Gameplay similar to the original Sonic the Hedgehog games, and You the Animal; an opportunity to create your own playable character with gadgets and powerups that you decide! I don’t know if it’s gonna be good or not! I hope so!

Reveal Trailer
Modern Sonic Gameplay
Classic Sonic Gameplay
You the Animal Gameplay

There is also the TV show, Sonic Boom, and the Sonic comic series, neither of which I follow extensively and may not be relevant for a game forum? I dunno I feel like extra topics would be superfluous but don’t know how off topic we should get here.

1 Like

Sonic Boom the cartoon is dumb and not that good except for all the obscure nerd jokes which I admit with some degree of shame made me laugh real hard.

The Sonic Archie series won’t be relevant for long anyway, Archie just announced its cancellation.

I’m so glad to have someone else who thinks Sonic Generations is good. Honestly my personal fav for Sonic games! I really love the controls and recreated levels. For me, it really feels like a Sonic game where you can just go fast the whole time. It almost starts feeling like a rhythm game when you learn the levels!

I’ve always had a love for the sonic games, I even love 06, and Generations was amazing so im excited for the spiritual sequel.

Fucked up if true

4 Likes

Well, it had… well it had a run, that comic’s been going on for ages

listen i dont love it because i think its good

its a horrifying mess in every way

its a beautiful car crash with many layers of garbage, and i love a good show

I’d like to point out that actually, Sonic is bad.

Excited for Sonic Mania though, it looks really great. Even if Sega can’t decide what the hell modern Sonic needs to be the fan community has been doing a lot of cool stuff, and I’m glad to see those efforts rewarded.

1 Like

Sonic is sometimes good but mostly bad. That’s my hot take.

Tell my wife I said, hello.

I mean, I mostly think that Sonic is hot garbage, and that’s coming from someone who is literally in Sonic pjs as we speak.

I gotta say, though, I really miss the edgier days. Maybe it’s me being all nostalgic, but for all their flaws, they had a ton of personality. My favourite would have to be Sonic Heroes – it was a lovely return to something lighter and more arcade-like, but without losing that original flair that Sonic had. Ever since Generations - maybe even Colours? - Sonic’s just felt like bargain bin Mario to me, and I think that’s a real shame.

I hope Sonic 2017 manages to straddle the line. I’m wary with Classic Sonic appearing, but with all the JOIN THE RESISTANCE mojo I hope it’ll be dorky and cheesy again!

since this is such a divisive issue with many different takes, I have implemented a poll to see where people stand on the important issue of “is sonic good”

1 Like

I enjoy the part what where he goes fast.

For real though, even though I’d say that most 3d sonic games are just straight up bad, they have produced some of the funniest lps ever created. And the soundtracks are always incredible.

I will never forget the excitement I had, as a little boopsy, for Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. I will never forget the perplexion I felt as Sonic Spinball and Sonic 3D Blast filled my screen. I will never forget the disappointment of finally seeing the Sonic anime after watching the trailer for it over and over in the gallery of Sonic Jam on the Saturn. I will NEVER forget the inhuman embarrassment of Shadow and Sonic arguing over who’s the ‘faker’ in Sonic Adventure 2.

Sonic the Hedgehog will always be good to me. Sonic the Hedgehog is bad. Life is death. Victory is defeat. Robotnik is Eggman.

Here’s to you, Sonic. (If the tempo of this version is too short for your taste, boost the speed to 1.25x, and remember to do what Nintendon’t.)

Sonic is good, and here’s why:

1 Like

Regardless of whether you think Sonic is good or bad, you have to admit, there aren’t many games out there trying to do what Sonic games do. While the easy joke there is “yeah, because it’s bad” I know I enjoy Sonic Generations and especially Sonic Unleashed’s daytime stages a whole heck of a lot and nothing else out there fills that niche for me.

This dude has a pretty articulate review of the sonic series that I think works pretty well as a vocalization of what made 2d sonic games special, and what the 3d ones are lacking for the most part.

That’s true. As @Lizardwizard points out, there aren’t many other places I can go to watch a hyper-waddling red Sonic repeatedly punch a ghost in the ass.

I’m not ashamed to say I want this, but at $110 it’s a bit out of my price range at the moment…