Sin is In - Persona 2: Innocent Sin

Part of it is that I already own most of the hardware. I got into it when the mini consoles first started coming out: I wanted the SNES mini but they were impossible to get, so I bought a real one instead. Then I got a Sega Saturn so I could play Policenauts and it slowly spiralled out of control until one day I found myself bidding on a consolized Neo Geo MVS.

What made me do Persona 1 and Innocent Sin on real hardware though was the LP of Shin Megami Tensei 1 on the Archive. It was done on an emulator in 2007 (pre-dating the ability to use flash memory cartridges on most retro hardware). I’ll explain some of the problems with it since I played SMT 1 myself… using Kyuuyaku as an example because I just saw a VLP of it that does the same thing.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The first thing you do after naming the hero and heroine (Nakajima and Yumiko, by default) in Megami Tensei 1 is allocating stats. Here’s something the manual probably tells you but the game doesn’t: Nakajima can’t use magic.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Since Intellect governs how strong your magic is, it’d be a waste to put any points into it. Right? Well, if you’re playing on an emulator and don’t mind abusing savestates, sure.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Negotiations in Megami Tensei 1 (and continuing all the way to SMT If) are random. The only thing that influences the outcome is your Intellect and to a lesser extent your Luck stat. On an emulator, you can simply abuse savestates until you get the outcome you want, but for real hardware this isn’t possible.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is what you’d see in an LP done on an emulator - a completely optimal stat build where you just pump Vitality and Strength (maybe putting a few points into Speed) and never touch Intellect. On real hardware, you’d probably want at least a point or two in Intellect to make negotiations better. Doing this will open different strategies that probably would be reset-heavy or impossible otherwise.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The LP of SMT 1 on the archive does this, and then abuses savestates to get significantly stronger than you’d be able to normally by savestating through battles with higher level demons for loads of EXP… but that’s simply not the experience you would have had if you had played it in 1992.

This is why I did Persona 1 and Persona 2 on real hardware. It’s because things like the Snow Queen grind (and having to re-do Thanatos Tower eight times) are part of what you’d experience had you played it in 1996 with a guide. That’s not to say you “cheated” or “haven’t beaten the game” if you’ve played on an emulator even with savestates or speed-up, but it’s simply not the same experience.

Yeah, plus I’d definitely want the PSP version’s music to post. Like this, for instance:

1 Like

I mean *sparkles with angelic purity* I wouldn’t abuse savestates. =D

No update yet - still working on grinding the factory for demon rumors. As it turns out, the estoma trick becomes a lot less useful at high levels. In fact, to really get use out of it I’d have to grind to 70.

Have this, though. The artist is Eligap#5969 on Discord. I can’t link their portfolio or their twitter because they kind of do NSFW stuff on the side.

Alt without the heart.

2 Likes

You can’t link their twitter but you can like, Not Link their twitter I think? Like tell us what their @ is or whatever. Because that is some slick art.

I linked it on my Twitter, which should be fine. The artist’s account is @EligapNSFW and I linked it through my Twitter here: https://twitter.com/TimrodDX/status/1284100773220057089 which should be fine since the link to my tweet has no NSFW material in it whatsoever.

Click Here for Update 21

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This update’s going to be on the short side, but rest assured it took me like two hours and multiple re-records to try and get all the dialog. By the end I was ready to do just about anything else but start Xibalba.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Since I had to do Taurus Temple again, I figured I’d show off Maya’s apartment. This is where you can use the CDs you buy from Giga Macho.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Maya’s apartment is an ungodly ruin that makes my room look clean by comparison.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Spoilers, she’ll never clean her apartment.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Back in Taurus Temple, we now have the fourth skull and have re-acquired the power of Gay. Trust me when I say being gay is going to be very important.

Normal: “Hello, Maya speaking.”

Normal: “Wh-whoa! What’s wrong, Tamaki-san? Calm down and…”

Surprised: “WHAT!? Prince Taurus took Ms. Ideal!?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: God dammit, Tamaki. You should fucking know better.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I should mention that while working from home last week, Youtube recommended me this video from the History Channel titled “America Unearthed: Ancient Mayans in Georgia”, starring a bunch of people willing to say that they honestly thought the Mayans built a city in Georgia before returning to South America because they needed clay or something.

Angry: “That perv’s still alive!? What’s he want a middle-aged lady like her for !?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I actually laughed while watching it because it sounded like they were LARPing Innocent Sin.

Normal: “Their destination is no doubt Xibalba. We should be able to follow them through Heaven’s Gate at Sevens… the Narurato Stone.”

Surprised: “Aiyah! That’s the secret of the Narurato Stone!?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I stopped by Hiiragi Psychotherapy to heal quick before making a trip to the Velvet Room. Maki’s not there. I wonder why?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So, here’s the thing about the Abandoned Factory. Unfortunately, the part I wanted to be level 50 for (so I could abuse Estoma) doesn’t open until after you’ve gone all the way down to the bottom of Xibalba. By the time you’ve done that, the 1% encounter rate demons are horribly out of date.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I replace Jun’s Persona with Isis. Her stats are pretty good, but more importantly this gives us a third person in the party who reflects magic. With Tatsuya being a magic tank, this means that most bosses are going to be dead easy.

New Persona: Isis

Origin: Egypt

First Appearance: Majin Tensei II (SNES)

9_2iVBrO_400x400: There’s three reasons I want Isis. First off, Cu Chulainn (which I had equipped to Jun) sucks. Second, at Rank 8 Isis learns Megidola which means we can pull off both Meltdown and God Hand in one turn. Third, look at that mutation list. Anyone who has played SMT 4 Apocalypse will know why I’d want Dagda. The mutation is apparently very rare but I’m hoping to get it.

New Persona: Mucalinda

Origin: India (Buddhism)

First Appearance: Persona 1

9_2iVBrO_400x400: In Persona 1, Mucalinda was a level 76 Persona who was absolute and utter trash. In this game, it’s slightly better in that it has at least some resistance to magic and takes 1.5x from physical as opposed to the 2x it took in Persona 1. More importantly, it has access to Megidola. I’m still going to ditch it ASAP.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Remember way back at the start of the game when we said Principal Hanya died? This is where that choice comes into play. We don’t actually need to go through here at all and it’s not quite as great as I had hoped, but I did anyway. There’s three classrooms, one on each floor, where we can see the Persona 1 cast back in action.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Brown takes out a pair of nazis without even trying, which is kind of incredible given that he still had Lilim equipped at the end of Snow Queen.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: See this textbox here? It’s glitched. This took me three attempts to capture properly, because it auto-advances and goes by extremely fast compared to the rest of the text in this game.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: You might ask what happens here if we said that Hanya lived. What happens is that instead of the Persona 1 characters, there’s a scene where Principal Hanya shows up and drives off the Last Battalion. It’s incredibly dumb.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Elly takes out five nazis, which is in keeping with the fact that she had the best ultimate Persona in the first game and the only one worth using.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: No, GOLD was that gym that blew up even though the party defused all the bombs.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Getting all these optional scenes sucks because the hallways are full of Last Battalion who like using instakills.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Why they didn’t put Yukino here, I don’t know. It would’ve been nice to see her and Ms. Saeko again. At least we know what Yukino and Anna are doing right now (just look up above this update if you haven’t yet).

9_2iVBrO_400x400: You’ll notice that two of the remaining Persona 1 cast haven’t shown up here, those being Reiji and Nanjo. The wiki insists they’re here somewhere but I did a complete search of the building and did not find them.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Oh, right! I found out that Xibalba is an actual thing in Mayan folklore - it’s the underworld that serves as the land of the dead. Supposedly, there’s a cave that goes there in… I think Colombia.

Normal: “He said that underneath Sevens is the Silver River after it breaks off from Tanabata River… and that the Heaven’s Gate that led to the underground Silver River… it was supposed to be this Narurato Stone.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Just like the end of Snow Queen, we take a pillar of light to the final dungeon.

Normal: “The walls are shining… the Silver River is a pretty appropriate name for it.”

Normal: “If we go down this river, we should come out at the entrance to Xibalba.”

Normal: “One of their boats is over here. Question is, who’s going to pilot it?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Starring Danny DeVito as Eikichi “Michel” Mishina.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Have I mentioned that in Eternal Punishment, it’s revealed that Maya has totalled like three cars?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Maya manages to hit every single rock in the river while doing donuts.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I thought Kasugayama High was the worst dungeon. I was wrong. This is.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Silver River is an autoscrolling stage that lasts anywhere from about thirty minutes to the better part of an hour.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: There are encounters every two seconds, but in a lot of cases the enemies are worth negotiating with.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Vucub-Caquix is definitely worth making a pact with. They give out the smallest number of cards (less than any of the demons in the Zodiac temples) but give you a Garudyne Card if you negotiate with them and ask for an item.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Manbannannan gives out 50 free cards per negotiation, and is definitely worth making a pact with once you’ve gotten a few Garudyne cards.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The correct answer is go straight, because it puts us on the shortest path. I hit “go right” because I’m a dumbass and thought I might grind for some more cards.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Hunab Ku is another demon definitely worth making a pact with because it gives out Magnadyne Cards.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Succubus is one of the reasons I regret going through the longer route. They’re highly resistant to magic and just generally suck to deal with, plus their negotiations are not consistent.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Lucifuge, however, is the reason you do not want to be in this garbage dungeon for even a second. He’s going to be in pretty much every encounter and is completely immune to magic. There’s only one thing that can make him fuck off… the power of Gay.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Pucel just kind of exists and gets mowed down by Meltdown.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Yet another reason not to stick around is Seker (the birds in the back behind Yaksa). Seker likes to use instakill spells and tends to go before the party does. Basically, Silver River sucks and you want to spend as little time as possible in it.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Unfortunately, this section also has auto-scrolling text. The line before this is Lisa going “Aiyaahhh, I’m bored, can’t we be done with this already?” If this dungeon wasn’t a giant piece of shit I’d re-record it.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Next time, we go into Xibalba. Now would also be a good time to mention that the Tatsuya/Jun commission is officially underway and should be done for the end of the LP. If you haven’t seen the Anna/Yukino one, it’s above this post.

2 Likes

The Silver River seems utterly miserable. As for not finding Nanjo and Reiji… looking at their art, it might just have been you didn’t notice them because they’re the two that look the most different? It might also be that you needed to find them in the factory first before they show up at Sevens? That’s as much information as I can find, at least.

also speaking of SMT, Nocturne is getting an HD remaster on the Switch next year.

Oh, I know where they are. Reiji is in a room in the factory we can’t get to yet. It only opens up after you’ve done the first half of Xibalba and requires a bunch of demon rumors to open. Nanjo I think shows up at the same time for one brief scene. I’ll get to it in the update after the next one.

I’ve already heard about the Nocturne remaster and SMT V next year. I’m probably going to do SMT V shortly after it releases, because for once I’d like to do an SMT game without Japan spoiling everything over a year in advance. I’m sure Atlus won’t enjoy that, but the only way they’ll get me to stop is if they were to, say, release an English version of the PSP version of Eternal Punishment.

1 Like

Aah, okay.

Also hey apparently SMT5 is going to have a simultaneous release worldwide, so that might not happen this time around!

Hey, so uh… have the other commission I ordered. It’s done!

2 Likes

This is the best LP now.

1 Like

Click here for Update 22

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is it. The endgame. Welcome to Xibalba. I hope you’re ready for what’s basically Caracol 2.0.

Normal: “That’s odd, though. They know we’re after them… so isn’t it a little too quiet? There’s not even a welcoming committee here.”

Normal: “This spaceship can carry an entire city, so I bet it has tons of high-tech traps. Everyone probably fell for them…”

Normal: “Hmm… I doubt they ALL died, but you’re right, there must be some pretty devious traps in there.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: It doesn’t really matter which one you pick. All that changes is the next cutscene, which I would do both versions of were it not locked behind a godawful 45 minute long autoscroller.

Normal: “Whatever it is, we can’t just stand here. We need to get the Heaven Skull so we can put the city back to normal. Let’s go!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: You can’t see it because of how blurry the screen gets when stuff’s in motion and also because it’s under Eikichi’s portrait, but Lisa is dancing around the lasers trying not to get hit.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Xibalba is easily the second worst dungeon in the game after Silver River. The floors aren’t particularly long or complex - but in exchange, the encounter rate is jacked up to the point where in some cases you’re getting encounters every other step.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Layout wise, it’s pretty much exactly like Caracol - there’s a hallway then a cutscene room, and this repeats until it’s over.

Jun: “Eheheh… I’ll show you some stars, too. Papa knows lots about the stars!”

Lisa: “Wow, that’s so cool! My daddy’s always busy with his job. Hey, Jun! What’s your daddy like?”

Jun: “Huh? Um… well… h-he’s really cool and strong and great… really!”

MayaSmile: “Seriously…? I don’t have a dad, so I’m kinda jealous… you’re so lucky, Jun-kun!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I wonder who Jun’s mother could be? The game will only barely explain it shortly before the final boss in a cutscene room, because Innocent Sin has some serious pacing issues. It feels like there should’ve been another dungeon between Mt. Iwato and Mt. Katatsumuri where they put some of this stuff.

Eikichi: “D-don’t worry about those k-kids… they say even m-meaner stuff to m-me…”

Jun: “My papa… he’s… he’s not a deadbeat!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Honestly, why ARE we seeing this? The entire childhood plot arc was like five dungeons ago.

Surprised: “Jun-kun!? Are you okay…? Hang in there!”

Sad: “I’m… I’m all right… sorry, everyone. Let’s… keep going…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: There’s some optional dialogue here which I feel I need to show so that something about two updates from now when I finish the game makes sense.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Can you guess what the final boss is going to be?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The monsters here are largely the exact same ones we saw in Silver River, with Throne and Fafnir (a Catoblepas recolor I didn’t even realize was a separate demon until I was nearing the 5th floor) being the only new demons. I fought every random encounter in this dungeon without negotiating at all and barely gained a level out of it. Just use the Estoma card.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Oh, Pascal the Dog is here as well. He’s worth exactly jack shit in terms of EXP and money and only usually appears by himself.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Xibalba doesn’t have staircases, it has future space elevators. Most of this dungeon is laid out as follows, to the point where I’m not even going to post the map.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: There’s a hallway, a couple of small side hallways with items in them, a cutscene room or two, and then the elevator. That’s it.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I should mention that around here, I decided to use all the incenses I picked up.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The reason Tatsuya only has 80 dexterity instead of 99 is because each character’s stats are the average of theirs and their Persona’s.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The big one here was Maya, who gained about 90 HP from using all the Vit and HP incenses. She’s still got the lowest max HP of anyone.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’m just going to summarize the rest of this because it’s about ten more lines that do nothing but tell you that Prince Taurus had his face blown off by a laser.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Ares is an enemy that showed up in Silver River that I’m not sure I actually got a shot of. Annoyingly, I wound up using God Hand and a shitty water fusion spell for most of this dungeon because Mucalinda (Eikichi’s Persona) wouldn’t fucking mutate. Eventually it learned Malaquadyne so I could do Meltdown and Undine on the same turn.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Does anyone want to guess what’s in this next cutscene room? Anyone?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Most people think the microwave hallway in Metal Gear Solid 4 originated there, but it actually had a long and storied career before that.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: All Solid Snake really had to do to make it through the microwave hallway was to believe in himself.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: It’s because, as we’re about to learn, Maya is basically a six year old girl in an adult’s body.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: By the way, I started looking at stuff for my next LP and found a design document from one of the artbooks for Devil Survivor. The notes for all of them are basically “Giant breasts, needs bigger breasts, big breasts.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The door opens because the Mayans fucking suck at building traps. It explains why they’re hot garbage in Civ 6 and why the Inca are the superior South American civilization. Seriously I feel like if the Spanish had just left the Inca alone we’d already have a functioning space elevator. Those guys built roads over mountains, it would’ve been a matter of years before they built one to space.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Right outside the microwave hallway we run into the worst enemies in this dungeon. Hellsehen (and the robots, called Metal Zentaurs) are extremely resistant to magic. Worse, they like to spam both poison and confusion to fuck up fusion spells. You basically need either Take-Mikazuchi or a Persona with Maziodyne to kill them.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Seriously this feels like it’s some kind of Mayan temple to daddy issues.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So, this is Maya’s dad. He has a name that as far as I know is only mentioned in the artbooks - it’s Masataka Amano. Remember how I hated Fujii or whatever his name was, the photographer who died outside Caracol? That’s because in Eternal Punishment, we find out that he worked with Maya’s dad.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Keep in mind that Maya is 23, and I think in this scene she’s 6 or 7 years old, meaning that Yukino is still a toddler. Fujii is working with him at this point. Yes, he’s old enough to be Yukino’s father and then some.

Sad: “Is it more important than me or Mom!? That’s… so selfish, Daddy!”

Sad: “Liar! You promised… you promised you’d come home… when you were assigned to the war zone… do you know how scared I was!? That Daddy might have forgotten about me…!?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I like that Atlus went through all the trouble of making what I’m pretty sure is a new portrait for this specific scene. And now we know why she has the rabbit. You know, the one we haven’t seen since the bomb shelter.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So I’m gonna level with you here, I don’t like the writing for this last part of the game at all. The problem is that the plot kind of didn’t have enough time for actual character development (even though it did) and so what we have is the game throwing a giant mess of plot at us and hoping something’s going to stick.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I mean, just thinking about, it we basically went from knowing nothing at all to “Hitler has returned and is using his army of possibly robo-Nazis to raise a Mayan spaceship from the ground so he can take over the world” and then back to nothing.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I think part of it is that up until this point, Atlus was pretty much used to making games that just didn’t have a plot. Persona 1 was, as far as I know, their first attempt at actual writing as opposed to making a dungeon crawler and telling you “there’s demons, kill them all”.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So I’ll just warn you now, a lot of the stuff at the end of the game will make exactly zero sense if you assume Jun is gay and has no romantic interest in Maya.

Sad: “I went into the same line of work as my dad… maybe I was trying to outdo him…”

Sad: “Dad died pursuing his dream. All he left me was this… that’s why I… I wanted to be a successful journalist who could balance my work with a family, the way he couldn’t…”

Sad: “Have you… ever heard this poem before?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: As far as I know, unlike Der Doppelganger, this is not an actual poem. At least, the only results when I searched for it were P2 fansites.

Sad: “What does it take to prove you were ever alive…? Even if you die, as long as you’re remembered, you’ll live on as a memory.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Why the fuck are we going into this NOW!? This is the end of the goddamn game! We’re supposed to be wrapping the plot up, not adding new plot points!

Sad: “But then, if you’re forgotten… that’s really no different from being dead…”

Sad: “No man is an island… so we try to imprint our existence in others. Following one’s dream may be one way of doing so.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Hold on I need to contact that artist again and get a picture of Jun as Venom Snake doing the “You’re all diamonds” thing.

Sad: “That’s how it was with me. If you guys had really forgotten about me… I might not be here right now…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The way he calls her Big Maya just reinforces the whole Metal Gear Solid thing.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’m imagining this as an ad for a fast food restaurant and it’s incredibly amusing. “This… is where my Persona has been guiding me for the last ten years… to Big Jack’s Burger Shack, just five minutes off Exit 39 of I-91. Big Jack’s, where we’ve got the best burgers allowed by state law!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I didn’t capture it because it happened in the same battle, but Isis also got a “change form” mutation. I was like “FUCK YES I GOT DAGDA”. Nope, this game hates me.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Instead, we get the ability to change Isis into King Arthur, who… sucks. Weak to magic across the board, doesn’t even null physical attacks, shit moveset, high SP cost. I think he might actually be the worst Persona in the game, on par with some of the shittier Personas from the first game.

Sigh: “You’ve got a point. We haven’t seen Igor’s face in a while, either. I kinda wish we could have a chance to switch out some of our Personas…”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Yes, I too want to send Mucalinda into the trash pile for being shit and refusing to learn High Pressure.

Hurt: “We’re in a real fix… there’s no time to go back to the city and no way to get there if we could. Just hang in there, guys.”

Sigh: “No use hoping for a miracle. Let’s just go.”

Happy: “Aiyah! We’re so lucky! Let’s go, Tatsuya!”

Smug: “Oh goddess of destiny, thank you! Thank you! Let’s break on through!”

Surprised: “Wait a second, you two…! Doesn’t this seem a little too good to be true!?”

Hurt: “Yikes…”

Normal: “Oh man, this has to be some kind of trap! We need to hurry after them! I’ll go after Eikichi-kun. Tatsuya-kun, you and Jun-kun follow Lisa!”

Normal: “Big Maya’s right, I think. Let’s go, Tatsuya!”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Honestly, I don’t know what the point of this cutscene is. It’s not really advancing character development, because we already know that Eikichi is a complete dumbass who will gladly run face-first into any trap he sees. It’s also not a plot point in the sense that we’re not splitting the party up again.

Surprised: “Aiyah!? Where did you two come from? I don’t remember seeing you inside.”

Normal: “We wanted to ask you the same thing… what happened in there, Lisa?”

Surprised: “Whaaaat!? Nuh-uh. It really was just a healing spring inside. I know, because I was yelling at Trish about what a ripoff her prices were. Maybe you two were just dreaming.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The trap was actually just trying to make Tatsuya and Jun hug.

Normal: “Well, I definitely came out of the Velvet–”

Hurt: “Hang on… what’s going on here? When I was in there, it was full of traps… should we go back in and look again?”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Given how Persona 1 worked, you’d think there would be a different route through the dungeon if you actually tried to go into the Velvet Room, but nope, it’s just a Velvet Room.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The fifth floor has an elevator on it, but Jun refuses to let us use it. This is where I got really confused because there’s supposed to be a way back to the city from here.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: What this is probably supposed to be, given that the name of the room is “Terminal”, is a Nazi-developed version of the teleportation terminals from the mainline SMT games.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Eikichi then proceeds to star in Shin Megami Tensei III, where he is merged with a demon and becomes the “Dummy-fiend”, a creature of pure stupidity.

Surprised: “E-Eikichi-kun!”

obs64 2020-07-24 20-37-41-23

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Honestly though, you’d think there’d be at least some Nazi body parts strewn around here. How would you know when the last person to use the teleporter is off the pad on the other side?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Somehow, Lisa fails at using a Terminal.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: And now we’re back at Sevens. The game does this ostensibly because there’s new armor and weapons we can buy, but now we can do the “ultimate weapons” sidequest… which I’m not going to do for the most part. For one thing, I never actually wound up buying new armor since uh… I think after Mt. Iwato.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Between this and restocking on healing items I was down to around 500k yen.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We were kind of supposed to do Doors 4 and 5 of the Abandoned Factory a long time ago - I think Door 4 opens after the Aerospace Museum and Door 5 opens after Mt. Katatsumuri.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The process for opening up the two hidden rooms in the Factory is extremely annoying. Before you can do any of it, you need to have read all of the notes in the first five rooms.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So now we finally find out what happened here: someone started a rumor that made demons appear. We find out exactly what the deal is (and why there are two hidden rooms) in Room 5.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is where we get the clues about the hidden rooms - the liquid waste disposal area and the secret boardroom. Here’s the annoying part. Instead of this just being a rumor you can take to Todoroki, you have to spread it via demons.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: There’s one final note we need to get, which is done by going through Room 1 and going into Room 5 from there. It doesn’t tell us anything we don’t already know.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Room 6 has a Crimson Wing in a locker, which allows us to fuse Suzaku. This is only really relevant if you’re trying for that one fusion spell.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So basically, here’s how demon rumors work. You have to make a pact with a demon, make it happy again, ask it for information until it gives you the rumor you want, and then use a different demon to spread it.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: In the Boardroom, we run into someone who looks… kinda familiar.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: What he’s really asking here is “Do you want Tatsuya’s ultimate weapon for free?” and the answer is yes.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So in the past three years, Nanjo became a biker. This has to do with his story in Eternal Punishment.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: In Eternal Punishment, Nanjo’s entire storyline is based around a rumor that Kandori somehow survived Persona 1 and is in Sumaru City.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So here’s why the ultimate weapons aren’t worth it. Right now, we could go buy a weapon from the store that has 143 attack. The ultimates can be powered up through demon rumors, but… yeah, no. The other problem is that if you screw up a negotiation, the demon can curse your weapon and render it useless (1 attack). Next time, we’ll finish the factory and finish the game.

2 Likes

Aah, there we go. I was wondering when Mr Number One would show up, because I read he did show up at the school to, but I guess not.

It’s a shame the legendary weapons are so… volatile.

My guess is that in the manga (which I haven’t read) he probably does show up at the school, but doesn’t in the game because I feel like they had no idea what the plot was going to be until it was too late.

1 Like

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Hoo boy do I have something for this thread.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Around the time Eternal Punishment came out, Atlus released a whole bunch of artbooks centered around Persona 1 and the Persona 2 duology. Some (like the Innocent Sin World Guide) have been scanned, but others haven’t. Someone dumped a scanned copy of Persona Club II: Innocent Sin (one of three artbooks in the series) on 4chan today, weighing in at a massive three gigs of scans. You can find it here: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1Ce_osOwbCP9xvNk81qtu5VroMcdCngdw&export=download

I highly recommend that you do NOT look at the artbook until AFTER the LP is finished as the first page has a picture of the final boss of Innocent Sin. Thankfully there’s only one more story update left.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Unfortunately, the pages are WAY too big to post here, but I’ll post some of them.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Here’s a shot of all the ultimate Personas. From the left you have Apollo (Tatsuya), Artemis (Maya), Hermes (who isn’t actually an ultimate), Venus (Lisa), Chronos (Jun), and Hades (Eikichi). Sucks that they put all this time into them when they’re crap in-game.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Each character also has a massive amount of fanart, except the scanned pages are so big that I can only post a quarter of a page at a time. Seriously they’re like 20 MB each.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: They also do an entire Q&A section in the back about plot points in Innocent Sin. I really, really wish I could read these. Here they do a character comparison chart… where Yukino somehow gets compared to the two worst girls and also Mark for some reason. They got this wrong because Mark was slow and shitty and Yukino is the exact opposite of that. Eikichi is actually the slowest character by far.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The back also has maps of all the Innocent Sin dungeons, including one of Silver River which I could’ve used. I had no idea the encounters were fixed or that there were dead ends, which might explain why it took forever when I did it. I think I fell for the first one, where you can turn left or right at Maya. According to this, I fought probably 20 encounters (the longest route is 16). No wonder I hated this so much. Can you imagine how bad it’d be if you got all three dead ends?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Here’s a thing of all the SMT/Persona protagonists up to Innocent Sin. I don’t even know who some of these are. From left:

• Tatsuya (P2 PS1/PSP)
  • Jihei/Naoya (Persona 1, PS1/PSP)
  • Non-Canon Male Protagonist (SMT If, SNES/PS1)
  • Protagonist (Soul Hackers, Saturn/3DS)
  • Kyouji Kuzunoha (Devil Summoner 1, Saturn)
  • Unknown

Right side:

• Nakajima (Megami Tensei 1, NES/SNES)
  • Protagonist [Green Jacket] (Megami Tensei 2, NES/SNES)
  • Protagonist (Majin Tensei 1 and 2, SNES)
  • Protagonist (Shin Megami Tensei 1, SNES/PS1)

I’m not sure why Aleph (the protagonist of SMT II) isn’t on here.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Anyway, that’s about all I’ve got. Take a look for yourself once I get around to finishing the LP, which should be fairly soon. Trust me, you don’t want to know what the last boss is. Well, there’s also this (presumably Western-made) fanart I liked.

2 Likes

MT Wiki says the guy you couldn’t identify in this lineup is actually an early official design for SMT 1’s protagonist.

Oh, right! I forgot about the 30-year time skip (at least I think it’s 30 years) in SMT 1 after the world ends. Presumably they put that in there because the SMT 1 protagonist is still alive in the Persona timeline because Thor and Gotoh had their shit put down before they could do anything, so that’s what he’d look like if SMT 1 had never happened and he hadn’t gone full-on late 80s cyberwarrior.

I kind of wish I had a full-sized arm keyboard.

Also I know that someone hadst invoked the processed one earlier (I’m the processed one) but I’ve been either busy or out of it but I didn’t forget y’all so have Shadow Eikichi and Shadow Tatsuya:

I was working on Shadow Maya but the way she’s got her head angled I wasn’t sure how to lazily draw in a pair of sunglasses and have it look halfway right.

2 Likes

Click here for Update 23

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I know, I keep delaying the final update. I wasn’t actually planning to go as far into the legendary weapons quest as I did, but then I did it and I’m kind of glad I did because there’s some good scenes here.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is the final note we need. It’s big, long, and only really covers things we already know. The only thing we might not know is that the first worker to see a demon appear was not the one who spread the rumor initially about the liquid waste facility underneath the factory.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: In this locker is the hardest fight of the entire game in the PS1 version. We do not want to do this yet. We do not have the tools.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Inside the locker… is Alice. Alice is level 80, extremely resistant to magic, and has two different full-party instakills, one of which bypasses resistances.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Alice opens every fight by using Megidolaon, which three of our five characters reflect back for around 400 damage. Alice has 4,500 HP.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Megalofire is a fire-based instant kill spell, which theoretically SHOULD work on Alice as she’s not immune to fire. However, it doesn’t work because fuck you that’s why.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Alice responds by casting Another Dimension, which is a full-party instakill spell. It cannot be reflected and cannot be nulled, even by Makarakarn.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Once I get out of there without fighting Alice, I get to farming demon rumors. Each legendary weapon has five rumors associated with it once you obtain it - one for each base element and one for making it do Almighty damage. Unfortunately, I didn’t get that one.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We also pick up the rumor for Eikichi’s ultimate weapon. The problem is that even after I was done escaping Liquid Waste Disposal I only had around a million yen, which would just barely cover Eikichi and Maya’s weapons. Unfortunately, Eikichi’s ultimate weapon has more to it than just a demon rumor.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: After half an hour of getting useless bullshit rumors about demons I don’t give a fuck about, I finally get it.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: There we go.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: For some reason, demon rumors never go away, so you can spread the one about the hidden door in the office even though we already did that.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Liquid Waste Disposal is easily the worst area in the game. Walking into it is a lot like walking into Thanatos Tower in the first game: you have demons that are up to 30 levels higher than you wandering around in here… in addition to Alice. This entire room is also a gigantic fucking maze with random encounters every three steps.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: HOWEVER, if you’re over level 70, this is where you go to exploit the game. What you do is hit 70 and then use Estoma. You need two characters to do this, because you need to exploit a fusion spell that I never bothered to get.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The fusion spell is called High End Crusher, and is performed using Zanma and any dark spell. High End Crusher reduces the HP of the highest level enemy in the fight to 1. This works on Alice. With Estoma blocking all demons under level 70, the only thing you CAN run into… is Alice.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This particular encounter is a pain in the ass. Fenrir is immune to fire, meaning Meltdown won’t work. Adramalech has a physical-based instakill move that he loves using. All in all, it sucks.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Girimehkala is extremely weak to magic, as is Valkyrie. Valkyrie gives out an ABSURD number of cards if you can make a pact with her - 70 star cards and I think 50+ free ones as well.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: By the way, remember those 1% spawnrate demons? Guess what I ran into! The worst one in the game! Gaia is a giant blob of HP that does nothing but spam Myriad Arrows for loads of damage. In fact, it has the same amount of HP that Alice does - 4,500. I didn’t test Megalofire against it but I probably should’ve.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Cradle of Creation makes Gaia, a level 72 Empress Persona. I’ll do a quick log of it since we’re never going to make it.

NEW PERSONA: GAIA

Origin: Greece

Persona 2 Original

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Gaia isn’t worth fusing. At all. By level 72 you can do far better. Futsuno Mitama is also pretty meh, having a 2x weakness to magic.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Ouroboros and Ah Puch both die to Meltdown pretty quickly. There’s a palette-swapped version of Ah Puch that I didn’t capture as well.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Then, something bad happens. I run into Alice, and hadn’t saved since before I fought Gaia.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I didn’t think to take any screenshots because I didn’t think it was going to end well. What happened was that Alice kept using her other two moves: Megidolaon and Omega Blaster, which is an instakill that targets the lowest-level enemy first and then moves up, killing one enemy per turn. The trick is that Omega Blaster can’t bypass resistances. I only had her use Another Dimension once and it only killed one person. Most of the damage was Alice having her spells reflected at her.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The entire party levels to 55 off just that one encounter. Keep in mind that this is with everyone alive: if you kill off all but two characters, they’ll get 150,000 EXP each.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: After forever, we’re here.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Wait, who the hell is this?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: If you’ll recall, comparing him to Kandori was the one thing that would piss Reiji off like nothing else in Persona 1… given that Kandori was Reiji’s half-brother before he got eaten by Nyarlathotep.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: And there we have it. That’s all the Persona 1 cast members accounted for, apart from Mark and Ayase who both died on their way back to their home planet.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: So uh, let me just spoil Eternal Punishment. Just a bit. If you do Nanjo’s route, there’s a rumor that Kandori somehow survived Persona 1, even though the entire P1 cast knows he’s dead. It’s actually Reiji, and this exact scene happens in EP except with the EP cast.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I bet it’s because people who want to buy from him have to go through a series of sidequests spanning half the game while also spurning the attention of all the other salespeople.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: A… naked… Boss?! We have to defeat him now so Tatsuya can earn a title. Something meant for someone who could defeat even The Boss… we could call him… uh… Double Boss.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Can we just like, ditch Stinko and pick up Reiji again? Maybe call Elly and see if we can throw Maya somewhere?

9_2iVBrO_400x400: On the way back from Reiji, I noticed that Quetzalcoatl was continuously getting stat up mutations still. He uh… he has higher stats than Lucifer does now, and better resistances to boot.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Once I got back to Room 6, I kept grinding rumors and got the one I wanted for Tatsuya’s weapon. This rumor is the only way the legendary weapons will ever be better than the store-bought ones: spreading the rumor about “hidden power” raises their attack to 160.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Note that you’ll always get the weapon rumors in a specific order. The first one will always be the element associated with the character (Fire for Tatsuya, Earth for Lisa, Water for Eikichi) and then the other three elements followed by the “may by the strongest” rumor.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I also grabbed the rumor for Maya’s legendary weapon. Jun’s is a bit different and does not require a demon rumor - instead, you need to have all the other weapon sidequests done (even if you don’t actually buy Eikichi or Maya’s weapons).

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I accidentally summoned Valkyrie not realizing that her resistances are garbage.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Then I did something real dumb. I looked at the higher-level Personas and figured that only one is worth it - that being Brahma, who is level 67. I am not grinding that shit, so instead I decided to see one of the five-way fusion spells. This is the one that requires Suzaku, Genbu, Seiryuu, Byakko, and Abe no Seimei. I spent all our remaining cards on this shit.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Death Spirit is the worst fusion spell in the game next to the one that randomly kills someone (including your party members). The description states that it “raises all allies’ MDEF and targets enemy weaknesses”. In reality, it’s pretty useless.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: 159 damage. 159 fucking damage for an action that took all five characters. Note that it’s not even hitting a weakness, because Death Spirit only hits a weakness if it’s to water/fire/wind/earth. I don’t get why this is so shitty, considering it requires using Genbu and Byakko who both are low level. Time to reload.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Eikichi and Maya’s legendary weapons have two parts to it. The first is getting the rumor from a demon, the second is actually spreading it. For some reason, even though it’s a demon rumor, you can’t spread it through demons. Instead, you need to talk to the owners of Shiraishi Ramen and Claire de Lune using the “small talk” option which does basically nothing throughout the game.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I mean, we did kind of turn you into a Russian spy, but… yeah.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Once we talk to Soejima and Ma’am, we have to go to Todoroki and pay to spread the rumors. Now please, sit back and enjoy this footage of Eikichi getting owned.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I like to think that the ramen shop owner has an old, beaten-up guitar case somewhere and she’s like “Oh man I can sell it to this idiot for money, let’s see how far I can go with this.”

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I’m not sure if this is better or worse than the banana char siu ramen. I mean, assuming it’s fruit yogurt and you don’t put spices or seasoning on the ramen it might not be bad.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Oh god. I looked it up and apparently, this is a thing people actually do. Notice that last bit there about “can eating ramen kill you” because the answer is yes.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Picking the second one locks you out of getting the weapon. We don’t want that.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Strawberry potstickers actually probably wouldn’t be bad.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: And that’s 500,000 yen down the drain. By the way, please note that Eikichi is currently poisoned, so to whoever asked that question, yes ramen can kill you.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Please also enjoy the following footage of Maya getting owned.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: If you don’t know what kusaya is (because I sure as hell didn’t), it’s dried and fermented herring. It’s kind of like lutefisk, only it’s herring instead of cod. From what I’ve read, it smells like death but has a relatively mild taste. Wikipedia says you’re supposed to consume it with large amounts of shochu or other alcohol, and I can probably guess why.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I wonder, is Sumaru City like Silent Hill, only for food? You go to a restaurant and they just hand you a phone and there’s a guy like “You want to order food? I’ll give you whatever you hate the most…” and then I get handed one of those “corn potage” flavored snacks I got in a Japanese snack box for Christmas one year. I ate that on stream but I don’t think I ever saved it. It was so bad I had to stop the stream. Corn potage, never again.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Oh, okay, I think I get the game’s title now. The “innocent sin” is spreading rumors to get things, and the “eternal punishment” is disgusting food. It all makes sense now.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Welp, Maya’s dead.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I like that he asks Tatsuya even though Tatsuya never ate it. We want to pick the first one.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Next to the Eagle-brand Deagle we find the Legendary Gun, which I spend the rest of our party’s funds on.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Jun’s legendary weapon is both the easiest and the hardest to get. I have no idea how you’d know to find it without a guide. To get it, we need to go back to the Alaya Shrine.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Behind the shrine is this kid. He will only appear if you’ve done the sidequests for Eikichi and Maya’s weapons (you have to have the ability to purchase the weapons but don’t need to actually buy them).

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Honmaru Park has become a meeting ground for a cult. By the way, there’s a hidden clue here as to who Sudou’s father is - this is something that will come up in Eternal Punishment.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: There’s a bulletin board here which I honestly never noticed before.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Kaori, by the way, is one of the healers in Rengedai. She runs an aromatherapy business - because weirdly enough, all of the healers in this game are alternative medicine except for Hiiragi Psychotherapy where Maki works.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: How the hell did they find out about that? We bought those not even minutes after spreading the rumors.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Alucard here has Jun’s weapon… sort of.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is directly foreshadowing how we’re going to get the weapon.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The final part of getting Jun’s weapon is talking to all the rumormongers. Each one has a different rumor about how you get the flower, though I know Baofu has the best one because he’s in the sequel.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: The possible rumors for what happened to the flower are:

• The Count sold the flower to someone (this locks you out of getting it)
  • The Count has it for sale but is hiding it to drive up the price (you can buy it for 800k)
  • The seller is in the Abandoned Factory (spawns an NPC in the office area who will sell it for 500k)
  • A demon stole it (you can win it off Fenrir in the Liquid Waste Disposal area which… no)
  • The Count gave it to a woman as a gift

9_2iVBrO_400x400: We want that last one because that means we get it for free. I wonder who the short-haired woman could be…

9_2iVBrO_400x400: This is one area in which it’s more convenient to say that Hanya lived. If you did, Maki will be at Tony’s Shop instead.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: I mean, I don’t even know what Maki would do with a flower given that in Persona 1 she used bows.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: And with that, we’ve done all the sidequests in the game… apart from that one at Sevens. And the one in Kasugayama High. And the shitty one post-Caracol where you fight that demon that reduces your Persona’s rank to 1 and don’t get a reward for it. Next time, we finish Xibalba.

9_2iVBrO_400x400: Oh, right. I know we’re not done with Xibalba yet (plus there’s some side scenarios I may or may not do in their entirety) but I think I figured out what my next LP is going to be.

2 Likes

I enjoy the fact that Jun just throws flowers at people. Everyone’s got cool powerful legendary weapons and Jun just hucks a bouquet at a demon and it dies.