She's got the Skittles to pay the bills. Let's Play Darkened Skye

Fiendly please get Trale Lewous to co-commentate on the SKITTLES® video game

It’s really good to see someone finally highlighting the writing and creative hatred in this game. I never thought I’d see the day.

Apparently I needed a bit of a break after the prison tower, which is too bad because this level is a good palette cleanser, I’ve been looking forward to it since starting the LP, and I can’t say with any certainty when the next update will be. But none of that matters right now! Live in the moment and enjoy an actually good level of Darkened Skye! (as well as a blizzard if you’re anything like me right now)

6 - On a Magic Carpet Ride

1 Like

First SomethingAwful, now lpzone. Fiendly, you have a habit of making me sign up to the most interesting forums. Anyway, I’ve noticed that you tend to avoid fighting yarros (yaroes? yaros? jahrhoes?) unless you’re relatively close to them and end up taking a lot of fire because of that. Is that because of issues with the blasting spell or do you just hate sniping?

Hey Hipster, welcome to the LPZone! Sorry I brought SA into your life, but maybe this site will make up for it.

The main reason I try to close the distance on yarrows whenever possible is that aiming the attack spell is extremely unreliable. The camera is overly sensitive and the Gamcube’s c-stick is super imprecise, plus melee strikes greatly out-damage spells, so I figure the trade-off in health is worth speeding things up for the video. This wouldn’t be a problem if I were playing this on PC, but alas…

I like the idea of one of the prisms being broken and we have to make a new one … that said I do find it a bit weird that it’s the second prism that’s broken, that they didn’t give us at least one more earned the ‘default’ way before playing with the expectations of how we’ll be getting them. I guess we’ll likely be revisiting that broken prism at a later time in the game.

Also, thanks for the kudos in the video! Linda Larkin will be making an appearance at a comic convention near me in the future, which is how I was able to put her name to her voice. If I had a copy of the game I’d be tempted to get her to sign it for a laugh. I wonder if she’s ever seen the finished game.

Here’s some important backstory on the five birds of harmony:

It is a pretty big swing to go from just finding a prism to building one, but the multi-step process of doing so is a pretty clever way of getting us back to Lynlora between levels to continue working on that goal.

And hey, credit where it’s due. If you do meet Linda Larkin, just have her sign a bag of Skittles! Surely that wouldn’t be awkward and baffling!

I’d forgotten all about this, but I definitely remember seeing it a ton of times now! I can hardly believe we’re about to play a level based on a commercial that was long-forgotten even when the game was new, but that’s Darkened Skye in a nutshell I guess.

1 Like

I think all of Gannish’s visions are taken straight from the old commercials, but I can’t find all of them on Youtube. Alas!

Alright, for those looking for the commercial Merlin in episode 2 was from, I found this

1 Like

Update:
Part 7 - Hot Wings

And here’s the post to which I allude in the video about the planned upgrades to Darkened Skye. Feel free to judge the legitimacy of these claims for yourself.

2 Likes

I might’ve missed it in the video, but is the outfit change just a cosmetic one? Or do we get some enhanced abilities along with it?

Also I feel like the removal of any mention of skittles in the game would be a downgrade, not an upgrade. If anything I say add more skittles! Or go fully nuts and get the M&Ms in there, maybe the Burger King for good measure too.

let me romance the green M&M 10/10 on the spot

2 Likes

The new duds are just to mix things up as far as I can tell, unless they have some really subtle effect I haven’t noticed yet (perhaps they’re somehow to blame for the constant slide whistle sound effect). It’s always surprising to me what the game doesn’t comment on when it’s got such a habit of commenting on every little detail, sometimes multiple times.

I gotta agree that losing the Skittles would be pretty unacceptable. If those new features they wanted to add to the Gamecube version had come at the cost of the candy branding, we’d be looking at the PC version today.

Replace Draak with that M&M Billy West voices, and our arch-nemesis Necroth? His tyranny and hideous visage are nothing compared to that of The Burger King.

2 Likes

Update:
Part 8 - Concussions & Dragons

2 Likes

Update:

Part 9 - Let Sleep the Dogs of War

2 Likes

This game has had so many surprises that for a minute there I honestly thought you were serious about us preparing to slit the general’s throat in his sleep. I kinda wish that we did and the game just had this one moment of out of place violence before going back to collecting skittles.

For the record I’m glad that you stuck with this LP, even if it has dull levels the novelty of a game revolving around collecting skittles to save the world hasn’t gotten old yet (to me at least).

1 Like

Good to see that this LP is still trucking. So, now that we can use our new spells, could you elaborate on them for us? Veil is pretty obvious from the video, but how does Psychic Blast work? Is it an AoE Sap Strength or is it a more unique debuff? And again, thank you for slogging through this game for us Fiendly. And again, I wanna call you Friendly (guess you’re not part of the Cocteau plan)

It’s my understanding that Psychic Blast is basically an AoE Strength Sap, but I was cagey about it in the video because I’m honestly still not 100% sure myself. The answer should come with further experimentation, which means not in today’s update:

Part 10 - Miner Detour

Just wanted to quickly knock out this simple intermission area because I don’t know how long it’ll be before I can do another video and I want it to have actual content when it comes around. Enjoy this refresher morsel and I’ll see ya with more unexplored territory as soon as I’m able!

3 Likes

Glad to see the Green Prism subplot getting moved along. And to see another Skittles Commercial I can link (warning: possible spoilers for video 10)

1 Like