Quit Your Jibber Jabber and Get Back in the Water! Let's Play Aquaria (again)!

What is this?
Aquaria was released by indie developer Bit Blot in 2007. The game is 2D, nonlinear, exploration, underwater action adventure that is hard to define in terms of genre. The way I explain it to people is “Think Metroid and Cave Story underwater.”
The main character is Naija, a fish girl who wakes up one day and realizes that she is alone. This leads to her going out on an adventure to discover h-

Hey, wait a minute, you already LPed this game!
Er…Well, yes, I did. Just a few days over seven years ago, to be exact. And while there isn’t anything particularly bad about the first LP I did of Aquaria, I feel like I could have done a lot better. Which is what I’m doing now.

So how is this any different from the first LP?
Well, I’m still going to be getting 100% of all the things, and I’m going to have subtitled commentary to go with it. But, I’m also going to be doing a version of the videos with my good friend and fellow student of game studies Gibbyjones, where we talk about various things related to the game. We’ll try and be informative about the design of this indie gem, but I’m going to make sure both the subtitles and voice commentary are spoiler free. :siren:And this thread will be spoiler free as well! I know this game is ten years old at this point, but Gibbloki hasn’t played it all the way through, and I’m not going to spoil it for him or anyone else.

Videos

Part 6Part 6 subPart 6 dub
Part 7Part 7 subPart 7 dub
Part 8Part 8 subPart 8 dub
part 9part 9 subpart 9 dub
Part 10Part 10 subPart 10 dub
Part 11Part 11 subPart 11 dub
Part 12Part 12 subPart 12 dub
Part 13Part 13 subPart 13 dub
Part 14Part 14 subPart 14 dub
Part 15Part 15 subPart 15 dub
Part 16Part 16 subPart 16 dub
Part 17Part 17 subPart 17 dub
Part 18Part 18 subPart 18 dub
Part 19Part 19 subPart 19 dub
Part 20Part 20 subPart 20 dub

1 Like

There is an awful lot of audio clicking in the intro and I can’t tell if it’s intentional but it is real heckin’ distracting. Almost like the audio is clipping because it’s too loud? It’s not in Part 1 but…eh. I haven’t seen this game at all so I’m interested???

Yeah, for some reason, the intro is real weird when I record it. I don’t know if it’s my computer, or if it’s just like that. I’ll try redoing it when I get the chance.

:siren: Update time! :siren:

:siren:Update!:siren:

1 Like

:siren:Update time!:siren:

1 Like

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

2 Likes

Your original LP of this convinced me to get this game. Good to see it again.

1 Like

Glad you like the videos!
Part 6Part 6 subPart 6 dub

3 Likes

Part 7Part 7 subPart 7 dub

2 Likes

Part 8Part 8 subPart 8 dub

2 Likes

part 9part 9 subpart 9 dub

1 Like

Part 10Part 10 subPart 10 dub

2 Likes

Part 11Part 11 subPart 11 dub

2 Likes

Part 12Part 12 subPart 12 dub

1 Like

For some reason I got a really big Ecco the Dolphin vibe from the surface section, even as short as it was.

Just as a head’s up, today’s episode may be delayed. I may have done something to anger the ocean, as I might lose power if Harvey gets any closer. I’m not in any immediate danger, thankfully.

Just a day late, it’s :siren:Update time!:siren:
Part 13Part 13 subPart 13 dub

2 Likes

Sorry for the continued delays, Part 14 will hopefully be ready tomorrow. Between the hurricane and classes starting up again, it’s been a bit difficult to schedule commentary sessions, so I hope you all will be patient as I pull things together.

Part 14Part 14 subPart 14 dub

2 Likes