Post your favorite video game glitches

Ocarina of Time has one really fun exploit that, in short, lets you rewrite parts of memory by putting different things in a bottle. One particular thing you can do with this exploit is to upgrade to the best quiver in the game without doing any of the proper mini-games, and this has some funny consequences.

For instance, when you win this mini-game, you are supposed to get a quiver upgrade. But if you already have the best quiver, the game gets confused with what it is supposed to give you as a prize… so this happens!

There is another mini-game that gives you a quiver upgrade that can be fucked with similarly. (I couldn’t find a decent independent video of it, it’s at 5:20 here.)

1 Like

Ride to Hell: Retribution is a masterpiece and here’s one example of why:

Thanks to the Men Drinking Coffee for this glitch

3 Likes

It might be shorter to list the things in the original, NES Final Fantasy that actually worked than the things that were broken and/or glitchy. Most obviously there’s an invisible NPC in the first town, and when you start digging into the code you find other examples. Like four spells don’t do anything, a mistake means the Monk actually gets weaker after the class upgrade, there’s enemies that appear way earlier than they should, stuff like that.

None of it’s on Pokemon’s ‘you can see time by surfing on a beach’ level of brokeass, but basically any singular piece of Final Fantasy you look at is probably not working correctly.

Here’s one of my favourites from the Freelance Astronauts’ playthrough of Mass Effect - granted I’m fairly sure this glitch was caused by Maxwell cheating a tank into the game, but it’s hilarious nevertheless.

Meanwhile, I myself had a bit of an issue when, during a Skyrim playthrough a couple years back, Lydia decided to warp spacetime:

3 Likes

I like this old video of MvC3 made by Kuvo, mostly just because of Thor ranting at the opponents.

https://youtu.be/FPPxbPI7fZQ

Also have some good old Rafty.

https://youtu.be/lIw9CNjuMWU

Sleeping Dogs is great! Also it’s one of the few games I’ve got a recorded glitch from - there was a couple making out on top of a collectible, and, well, this happened:

I’m laughing really hard but also… is that Chie Satonaka?

I’m pretty sure it is. I’m guessing that’s footage from a CAW League of some sort.

1 Like

There was no video of it captured, but during a Skyrim session with a group of friends, we decided to chase a fox to see if it would lead us to treasure, but it eventually dove into a river and we chased after it. Suddenly, we turn around under the water and Lydia is behind us with all of her hair missing for some reason. We had her set to follow us but left her behind ages ago, so we pretty much all had a collective heart attack.

(her hair came back after a couple moments.)

Another one from one of my LPs - in MGS3, if you blow up food storage houses, the guards in that area will be hungry when the area reloads, so they’ll gorge themselves on any and all food you throw near them, so what happens if you throw food somewhere they can’t reach?

https://youtu.be/2XDi4_uvCxQ?t=173

1 Like

In the Old Iron Keep in Dark Souls 2, there was a glitch in which invaders to a host’s world would see it in one state (which a bridge raised) when it was actually in another…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnorJTuXCuM

I’m not familiar enough with Chivalry to know if this is a glitch, or a mod/hack. But this is the best/worst thing.

In case that doesn’t count, here’s my favorite Sonic 06 glitch. Silver can just remove Sonic. Just toss him off the planet entirely.

2 Likes

So, the Secret World has a glitch in which the /smile command is additive:

I went into the game knowing about that glitch, so one of the first things I did was set up a macro that spammed /smile for about two hours straight, so I could just leave it in the background and come back to a world-eating grin.

Well, it turned out that /smile had another glitch: because /smile didn’t interrupt other emotes, you could, say, dance while smiling into the stratosphere. But if you switched to another emote afterwards while still spamming /smile, the game would sometimes glitch out and make you do all three emotes at once…

5 Likes

“You are still dressed as a member of the NCR” popping up around there sounds more like reassurance than a simple notification

1 Like

I saw True Crime: New York City mentioned somewhere today and it reminded me of when I tried to emulate it. It had some minor glitches, see if you can spot them.

Installing a bunch of mods always leads to glitches sooner or later, but I’m still not sure how the game breaks this badly in this video.

1 Like
5 Likes

A few more favorites, though they’re mostly AI fuckery,

Earth Defense Force is a good series.

1 Like

Some old stuff I put on youtube forever ago when I first found out MSI Afterburner had a recording function:

YouTube decided it needed to “fix” this next video.

Also this video should have been posted by now: