Mega Man 4 As You've Never Seen It Before: Let's Play Rockman 4 Minus Infinity!

Remember when I posted that LP of Rockman CX? Well, what if I told you there was a romhack out there that did the same things it did, but actually good?

"Made by talented ROM hacker: Puresabe, comes Rockman 4: Minus Infinity. A ROMhack that does what others only dream of achieving.

It is a masterwork in terms of game design and ROM hacking. All of the weapons are powerful and fill different niches. There’s at least one or two impressive new features on each level, and they’re integrated into the game well.

Many of the bosses change their pattern at critical health. They also have custom AI patterns designed to counter the Rush Cannon (a one-hit-kill weapon) that they switch to when you equip it. They become extremely difficult, but not impossible, to hit in this state…

The levels have branching pathways and hidden bosses from other Rockman games that have also been given massive boosts, plus new enemies from other games in the franchise, make an already fantastic game a platforming masterpiece. "

But is that all true? Let’s find out!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #1: Ring Ring Ring (Heavy Sigh, jspades, and Great Joe)

HOWEVER! There’s more to this LP than just that! This game comes with its own Hard Mode, and there’s a hell of a lot more going on with that than a simple damage boost! We’re going through the whole game in Hard Mode, so get your weapons ready for some truly fiendish platforming!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #1: Ring Land (Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and Kalonzombie)

1 Like

Oddly enough, the first time I ever saw this game was in speedrun form. Which is quite wild, but you don’t get nearly as much time to contemplate how amazingly built this hack is. I can’t remember if it was a speedrun of hard mode or not, but the difference between that and normal is impressive.

I think the first time I saw this game was someone blind streaming it, which went about as well as you’d expect. It’s one I’ve been meaning to play for ages.

I played through this hack recently but never tried out the hard mode. I really like how the platforming challenge was amplified by a single change. It forces the player to be more active in their approach in a reasonable way. The other changes were generally about what I expected: a little bit excessive for its own good.

Dive, officer, Dive through that ring!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #2: The deep Blue Hogale (Heavy Sigh, Jspades, and Great Joe)

And, for our hard Mode run, we’ll be going somewhere a little different for a bit.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #2: Dust Zombie (Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and Kalonzombie)

oh, and https://youtu.be/43an9DgGe8E

2 Likes

RIP Rush, never should have turned into a submarine.

And we’re back to plumb the depths of the earth with all the construction tools we can find!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #3: We the Red Miners (Heavy Sigh, jspades, and Great Joe)

And after that, we can enjoy a nice, refreshing dip in the incredibly painful salt water.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #3: Commie Kids (Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and Shinryu )

2 Likes

The Enker fight in Megaman 10 was at least made a little more interesting due to the fact that he can just stop in the middle of the room to mess with your timing. Kind of disappointed that the hard mode version of Enker in this hack didn’t take that idea but at the same time it would have made the new attack of his harder to dodge.

Now armed with drills, we finally get around to Dust Man and his hodgepodge of weird gimmicks.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #4: Talk to me of Recycling (Heavy Sigh, Great Joe, and Jspades)

Meanwhile, in Hard Mode, we get murdered by rocks.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #4: Red Militaire (Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Jspades, Shinryu, and Word on the Wind)

1 Like

The end of Dust Man’s stage is pretty much taken from one of the worst parts of Gradius 3 arcade: the cube rush sequence.

Cube rush video

https://youtu.be/an0qDwbvVgU

There’s a reason this part was cut from the SNES port of Gradius 3 so I can’t fathom why they’d add this stupid thing to Minus Infinity.

You know what this game needed? DINOSAUR BONES.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #5: White Army, Blue Baron (Heavy Sigh, jspades, and Great Joe)

and In today’s Hard Mode episode, the runs sync back up, so now you can directly compare what Hard Mode brings to the table, like DOUBLE HELL WHEEL.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #5: Skull Island (Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Jspades, Shinryu, and Word on the Wind)

2 Likes

I always liked the gameboy style of presentation.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #6: The Bright Way (Heavy Sigh, jspades, and Great Joe)

YOU GOT BLIND POWER.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #6: Bright Chaser (Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Jspades, Shinryu, and Word on the Wind )

1 Like

You can actually pick up the E-Tank in the dark area without the ring boomerang, but it involves dropping down what would seem like death.
rock4miBright

1 Like

This level contains some graphic cursing, so I must kindly ask that all children to either leave this thread now or be accompanied by a legal guardian.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #7: Pals, we must not grow old in our Pyramids (Heavy Sigh, jspades, and Great Joe)

Meanwhile, in Hard Mode, we ask a simple question: How many bullets can you fit onscreen at once?

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #7: Pharoah of Fillmore (Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Jspades, Shinryu, and Word on the Wind)

2 Likes

~Slip’n’slide down the drain, and find yourself in a world of pain~

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #8: Oh, toads (Heavy Sigh, jspades, and Great Joe)

Meanwhile, in Hard Mode, Toad Man somehow managed to accumulate more junk than Dust Man.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #8: For the Toad the Bell Tolls (Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Jspades, Shinryu, and Word on the Wind)

2 Likes

Stuff happened, and now we’re back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #9: Our Balloon (Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and Shinryu)

oh, and FUCK THIS GIMMICK.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #9: Wrath of the Red Moth (Heavy Sigh, shinryu, word on the wind, and new friends dijondujour and Terror Van)

1 Like

Hot damn was the hard mode change real bad. I would have said that adding the smaller hitbox would have helped but the sheer number of them as well as Rush’s slow movement ensures practically undodgeable situations. That the frogs can also turn to bullets is just a final insult.

It’s time to start Cossack 2, and what better way to start it off than with some Disappearing Blocks?

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #10: Little Laboratory (Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and Shinryu)

Oh, and maybe throw in some QuickBeams for Hard Mode?

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #10: Hero Megaman in the Cossack Laboratory (Heavy Sigh, shinryu, Word On The Wind, dijondujour and Terror Van)

2 Likes

If I remember from playing the in-development versions of this the vertical wire room was originally the layout used by the final hard mode version. I guess playtesters had problems messing with the wire there and was changed for normal mode despite there really being no pressure.

I played mario a lot this week.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #11: Song about Sewers (Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and Shinryu)

and a lot of fire emblem.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #11: Devil Killer Mega Man (Heavy Sigh, shinryu, word on the wind, dijondujour and Terror Van)

2 Likes