Mega Man 4 As You've Never Seen It Before: Let's Play Rockman 4 Minus Infinity!

As much as I like the boss fight at the end, the bubble challenge just before it has got to be one of the worst parts of the game. It’s a really long fight where there isn’t any good way of clearing it quickly. It isn’t even difficult in the end, just tedious.

It is time to finish off the Red Menace once and for all!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #12: Cossack Final Battle (Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and Shinryu)

And as for hard mode, anyone here good with those crane games?

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #12: Red Hopper (Heavy Sigh, shinryu, word on the wind, dijondujour and Terror Van)

1 Like

For our first foray into Wily’s Fortress of Death, what better greeting could we get than the old Mega Man staple…

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #13: Under the eyes of Joes (Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and shinryu)

and in Hard Mode, well, Wily could always use a few more spikes…

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #13: Wily Serial Productions (Heavy Sigh, NGBDSS, shinryu, Simply Simon and Word on the Wind)

1 Like

Now it’s time for EVERY ENEMY IN THE GAME to fight us.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #14: Unfinished Marseillaise (Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and shinryu)

And in Hard Mode, a piece of 21XX technology makes its way back to the past, just for our sake.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #14: Rushed Out Overheat (Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, dijondujour, shinryu, NGBDSS, and Word On The Wind)

3 Likes

I’ve really been digging the side-by-side videos to better appreciate just what Hard Mode does (or doesn’t do) differently. Were there any plans the hack creator had they just couldn’t make work, or are we seeing more or less a director’s cut of Minus Infinity?

Also, are there any changes for Hard Mode you think are objectively worse than their standard mode versions?

While I can’t say for certain whether there was anything that PureSabe wanted to do in Rockman 4 but couldn’t, I can say for certainty that a lot of the Hard Mode Changes were actually from previous versions of the hack, as playtesters complained about parts being too hard, Like the wire room in Cossack 2. So in some respects, Hard Mode is a pre-beta version of R4MI.

As for objectively worse, the only one that massively stands out is Cossack 1. That whole stage, already only playable thanks to Balloon’s high speed, gets massively worse once the death bullets come in.

2 Likes

You got your Metroid in my Megaman!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #15: Maze of the Defenders of Wily (Heavy Sigh, Great Joe, and Crow)

And it’s Still there!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #15: Wily’s Pursuit (Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, dijondujour, shinryu, NGBDSS, and Word On The Wind)

3 Likes

Better late than never, it’s time to finish off the last proper stage of the game!

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #16: The International (Heavy Sigh, corn in the bible, Combat Lobster and Great Joe)

And as always, at center square, Doctor Wily.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #16: Something Wily (Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, Shinryu, Word on the Wind, and dijondujour)

3 Likes

I don’t like the final Wily fight because it’s too hectic for Mega Man’s movement to reasonably handle. It probably doesn’t help that the hitboxes are also a bit weird for the rapid laser shots which makes dodging without getting hit a crapshoot.

Edit: Almost forgot. Puresabe still does some stuff but usually keeps quiet. He recently released a 2018 New Years hack recently: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3801/

And for our last fight, only one man can challenge the undying.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity: The Shadow Under Moscow (Featuring Heavy Sigh, shinryu, word on the wind, dijondujour and Terror Van.)

3 Likes

A thing not mentioned is that dying to the special Shadow Man fight means you have to go through the rest of the game again to refight him. It’s a pretty bad design decision but I can understand why since it’s supposed to be a secret. I wish that if you reached that point without dying that he’d at least stick around until you run out of lives instead since he can use an insta-kill attack and some of the other ones are essentially also insta-kill.

I suppose if you’re good enough to fight him in the first place you’re also good enough to have gotten all of the other items and a bunch of E-tanks with some degree of consistency, so it’s not entirely unreasonable to expect the player can win without dying.