London calling to the underworld - Let's Play Nightmare Creatures

Update:
11 - London Zoo

Ya wait nearly two months for a video and what do ya get? Well, I won’t poison the well, but… it’s the worst level in the game

1 Like

Hooray, the thread’s back! …even if the game decidedly isn’t!

This level feels weirdly unfinished to me; the museum section is pretty fleshed-out, and clearly had some love put into it, but the rest of the zoo strikes me very much as the kind of level you’d download off a forum that was using purely pre-existing assets to try and recreate somebody’s office building or what have you. You can kind of see what they were going for but somewhere along the line it seems like they ran out of time/money/etc. to really bring their vision to life.

At least everything after this point is better?

1 Like

Update:
12 - Marylebone

I might take a short break here (much shorter than my absurd absences from the LP though) to prepare Something that I think will serve the remaining videos. Until then, have a much-needed palette cleanser level

1 Like

Update:
13 - Bloomsbury

Turns out my short break is the shortest amount of time between videos in recent memory, and it’s gonna get shorter from here. What remains of the game has an excellent momentum to it, so I’m going to try to post another video every day for the rest of this week to finish the LP by the end of the month, unless I burn out and fail! Also, the OP is now complete (except for the remaining videos) so go check out Kalisto’s pithy comments about all the items and monsters in the game.

2 Likes

I like the design of the hellhounds, partially because they’re actually some sort of color (and therefore stand out against the greeny-gray brownness of the majority of background assets) and partially because I think the low-poly look really works for making them look otherworldly. Some PSX-era stuff ages more gracefully than others so it’s nice seeing an example where everything seems to work out!

Also they slice up enormously satisfyingly if the video is to be believed.

I find the hellhound faces to be especially creepy in that they’re vaguely human-like but heavily distorted. A nice bonus is that they can’t block your attacks when a Berserker is active like all the other monsters can, which makes chopping them up a joy.

Update:
14 - Pimlico

The fire rages on, but one gigantic mutant is too busy throwing knives to care.

2 Likes

No update today, I hit loads of technical troubles working on the latest vids and even the recordings that didn’t get corrupted took tons of editing to salvage (i think the latest Windows update wrecked all the settings I’d used for the rest of the LP). Plus it took nearly an hour to get a deathless run of the Ripper boss, it’s way harder than I let on. The next video is ready for commentary, but i am not, so I’ll have to get that done and posted tomorrow.

Update:
15 - Westminster

We’ve made it to the final level of Nightmare Creatures.

Not the end of the LP, though. I’ll have to break my promise to rush to the end, recording issues caused significant delays and my plans for the finale are very ambitious, so I want to take enough time to get everything done right. I’ll see you with the ending when it’s ready!

2 Likes

We’ve been getting a LOT more close-ups of Crowley’s big weird head in these past few levels; it gives me an almost Double Fine vibe with how aggressively Eurocomicky it is. I kind of wish the extreme stylization had carried over to Nadia and Ignatius! Makes me wonder if they’ll go for any of that in the (attempted?) new title using the IP, or if we’re just going to get the same “decent portfolio piece but kind of bland overall” modeling for the various players and uglies.

Update:
16 - Westminster II

Game Over. Time to check out everything I could find that’s tangentially related to the game.

@moderators this LP is completed

3 Likes

Hey there! Been lurking for a while around here since I found your interesting NC discussions, I myself just recently found out that there’s a fan-made Nightmare Creatures game in the works, I don’t expect much but I’d be damn impressed if it’s going to be half as good as the original titles. By the way, is it true that after Kalisto closed down Ubisoft took over the NC series and started working on a third installment but it was canceled later? If so any idea why? And do you think Ubisoft might make one in the future since there are many NC fans that would LOVE another installment of the series? also love your LP series! keep it up :slight_smile:

Haven’t seen anything about a cancelled third game nor any involvement with Ubisoft myself, the only lost piece of Nightmare Creatures media on record is a feature film that was announced in 2000 then never heard from again. The franchise is currently owned by a company called Albino Moose, because apparently no one owned it after Kalisto shut down, and they’ve announced a new game that’s both a sequel and prequel to the original. They claim they’re hard at work getting that done, so it’s the best shot we’ve had at a new game in years.

Ahh, I’m a little disappointed you won’t do the sequel but, as someone who beat it myself, I can’t really blame you. :stuck_out_tongue:
Great LP like always Fiendly.

1 Like

Thank you for another quality LP, Fiendly!

1 Like

I’ll echo everyone else and simply repeat: Great LP as always! This was an odd little game that I probably never would’ve heard about had you not done the LP. Thanks for soldering on with this one! I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with Deadly Creatures!

1 Like