London calling to the underworld - Let's Play Nightmare Creatures

Shudders Still love this LP and glad you’re playing it. Despite the spooders.

Update:
07 - Queenhite Docks

I was on track to have this episode posted Thursday, but a local snowstorm fucked up everything. Still managed to get it done by the end of the week at least. Anyway, I doubt I have to tell you that the name of the level is misspelled, the real-world location is called Queenhithe.

2 Likes

Update:
08 - City

The city is alive tonight as we technically round the halfway point of the LP.

3 Likes

What do you mean there’s a new Nightmare Creatures game?

Huh. Well I’ll be.

I consider it very unlikely that this new game ever comes out, and even if it does it’ll probably be incredibly terrible considering the previous work of the developers, but it is pretty funny that anyone would bother trying to get people to care about Nightmare Creatures again (speaking from experience, that’s a lost cause)

Still feel like Nightmare Creatures has some good ideas and good game within the package. Just needs more refinement.

Yeah, it’s a great choice for a revival because it has so much unfulfilled potential, but I’m quite sure Albino Moose just had some nostalgia for a cheap old IP and wanted to take advantage of people who share that nostalgia. They’ve only ever released a gimmicky comedy horror game designed for youtubers to play with scarecams, and they’re working on two other games that appear to be RPG Maker-style trash.

Been watching the LP and really enjoying it. Always wanted to know more about this and the sequel, since I never beat them as a kid.

1 Like

Hey, thanks! Every time I play one of these levels I think “Who’s gonna watch this? It’s just the same thing again.” But commentary keeps coming together and support for the LP has exceeded expectations, so on we go.

Update:
09 - Smithfield

Don’t eat the red snow.

3 Likes

This has been a pretty cool LP so far. Like your stuff btw, Fiendly. Watched the LP of Manhunt, and it makes me want to ask, are you going to do what you did there with the videos detailing figures the various characters have been named after? It’s a pretty silly question, I know, especially as you’ve already explained Samuel Pepys of course, but I’m more asking because I’m pretty particularly fascinated by the real life Aleister Crowley. Will you go more into depth over that?
Tbf, I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t. Some of the details of his life are… well…
Not to mention the game’s Crowely is hardly based on him beyond the obvious occult associations of his name.

1 Like

Hey, thanks! I’m not gonna do whole produced segments like I did with Manhunt, they were a crazy amount of work and I’m making this LP too slowly as it is, and like ya said, real Crowley was a pretty unsavory figure (certainly no more unsavory than the figures I covered in Manhunt, but it’d still be a tonal shift for this LP). I definitely intend to go more into him in the LP commentary at some point, though, I’ve just had to cover so many gameplay mechanics that I haven’t had much room for fun facts. Most of the mechanics are covered now, so there’ll be more minutia and diversions for the second half of the game.

2 Likes

Update:
Bonus - Cheats

We’re overdue for an update, but we’re super overdue for the cheatstravaganza I’ve been talking about since October!

3 Likes

Remember, folks, irresponsible breeders frequently try to pass off young, underfed werewolves as “teacup” lycanthropes. Don’t get suckered into buying a monster that hasn’t finished growing if you don’t have the space to house a full-sized adult!

The Unlimited mode looks like it’d be a great thing to unwind with after a bad day: just wander around, dismember monsters with your infinite goodies, and push a button to get back up if too much of your red comes out. I kind of miss some of the incredibly extensive cheat menus you’d see on games from this era, if only because they frequently didn’t give a single solitary damn about whether or not the game was still playable with them on because hey, you’re cheating anyway, who cares?

1 Like

oh man, chibi crowley’s tiny evil laugh was wonderful

1 Like

I recorded that after I had almost finished editing everything else, when I was struck with the realization that Crowley had one voice clip in an actual level that might be affected by the cheat. Was thrilled to discover it worked as expected.

I finally got caught up with this series! I always like your LPs Fiendly, they’re always well played and well researched… and as a plus, aside from Splatterhouse, you have a knack for picking games that I’ve never heard of. It’s fun to go into an LP completely blind to what’s going to happen.

Regarding what you said in Part 6 regarding how Nadia has more of a reason to pursue Crowley, it reminded me of the original Alone in the Dark game. A similar thing happened there, the female character has all the emotional investment in the story (which also happens to relate to the death of a family member), but it ends up being the male character with no such personal connection who ends up becoming the series’ main protagonist. Both games had French developers, funnily enough.

1 Like

Nice! Most people only like either my violent LPs or my silly LPs. I’m not sure what category this one falls into, so I have no idea who’s watching this.

I have some serious concerns about French developers in general thanks to David Cage. I still have yet to get around to explaining Ignatius’ place in the story, but it’s coming! I can probably tie it into talking about Crowley’s namesake in the next video.

Update:
10 - Regent’s Canal

Welcome back to Nightmare Creatures. Been a very long time due to illness, and my voice still isn’t where I’d like it to be, but the show must go on.

2 Likes