Lights, Camera, Action! Let's Debut in Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Speaking of songs, I just finished Persona 5 last night and uh, wow was it’s credits song awful. On fact, most of its music was pretty bad and that’s kind of a shame because the game itself was real good up until the endgame.

So with you having finished both, I’ve rumblings that some are of the mind that TMS is better than P5. Your thoughts?

I would count myself among that group. I posted some thoughts on Twitter last night, but the short version is that I think it absolutely falls apart towards the end of the game, and the quality of life stuff throughout felt like one step forward, one step back, and a side step here and there. The only huge, glaring problem P5 really has is Mementos, but it’s got a bunch of little niggling things that really annoyed me while i was playing, especially later on when you get told to go to bed for the 50th fucking time yes I know morgana maybe I should get some fucking sleep we have a big day tomorrow

E: Oh I guess I should note there are some incredibly vague spoilers in those thoughts but you know, whatever. Nothing too explicit but I do talk a bit about the late and endgame.

E2: Now that I’m not on the bus and can sit down for a bit, my biggest criticism of P5 is that at the end of the day, it wants to be a real SMT game and a Persona game it ends up doing neither as well as it could. The actual mechanics feel like lazily shoehorning SMT IV into the Persona engine, and the Persona bits are riddled with a bunch of annoyances like constant stat locks and making you go do dungeon crawling to continue S-Links. Hell, there’s one link that requires Guts 4 to start, Guts 5 to finish, and then continues giving you Guts for doing the link even though you have to have Guts maxed to get to that point in the first place. There’s so many little things like that, and it feels like they didn’t think it through at all.

putting the pieces
together. found my
way out of the maze.

Kiria’s status has updated now that we’ve finished her first sidequest, and…

[quote] hrrgh… I made friends with a girl from the photo shoot, but I haven’t been able to reach her… ‘^’;
and I saw some of her pictures on the wall in the Idolasphere. guess that means she’s in there, huh…?[/quote]

Well, that just means we have to get her out, doesn’t it? Back to Illusory Shibuya.

The second room starts off pretty straightforward. Up the stairs, we immediately run into a one-way wall, so down the ledge it is.

There was an encounter here, it’s gone now.

On the lower floor, we hang a right and hit another one-way wall. The locked chest has a Chakra Pot if you’ve got a key handy.

New enemies! The Abyss is an upgraded Man O’ War from Illusory 106, complete with its focus on causing status ailments. However, as you can see, they’re weak to literally everything, so dealing with them is far more trivial than their jellyfish cousins.

Heading the other direction, we pass an incredibly obvious camera and work our way back up to 3F, grabbing a pair of Dis-Charms along the way.

And there’s our first shortcut for the area.

Moving on, we head down the stairs and hit another ledge.

That drops us down to here. The far chest has a pair of Beads, to the right is progress.

The girl on the left is our first Cleric enemy. As the name implies, they can heal up enemies if you give them a chance, but they’re mostly content to cast low-level magic like Flux or try and whack you with their mace. Weak to Swords, Fire, and Light, resist Ice, Electric, and Dark.

For a second, I thought I was actually stuck here because of how that camera is positioned, but their view is actually very narrow and we can easily slip behind it. Hell, there’s one later on that you basically walk right up to in order to grab an item; you essentially have to walk directly in front of it to get caught.

Itsuki finally picks up Mazio, and we drop Rakukaja for it. Admittedly it’s not as clear cut as a traditional SMT game because you get skills from weapons, but L20 feels really late to be picking up the Tier 1 multi-targets. I think Ryuji is the only person to have a similar time on that, and his excuse is that he’s literally Kanji and should be punching people instead.

Another camera that’ll get you if you’re not paying attention. This one is guarding Nightlife Flicker, a Performa that we need to get one of Tsubasa’s Radiant Skills.

And there’s Wall #2. Up the stairs we go!

But not too quickly! There’s a locked chest tucked away immediately to the left, and it’s incredibly easy to miss. The Roaring Ear Plugs are a real interesting accessory, trading 3 points of Def/Res for 12 Speed, plus being marginally better than our current stuff in armor value. I still don’t use it because I’m boring, but at least this one is actually worth the tradeoff. 12 speed is plenty to more or less guarantee that whoever you give it to will go first in the turn queue.

At the top of the stairs, the path splits into three options. There’s really no way to tell which one is correct, so we might as well just pick one and see where it leads. The left one seems like as good of a place to start as any.

This one drops us all the way down to 1F, with a camera blocking us off to the right and a large open area to our left.

I’ve always been a firm believer that the Suku (de-)buffs are the most important of the lot. Taru and Raku are nice (and certainly have their place, to be sure) but they’re reliant on hitting in the first place, whereas the Sukus help you avoid that situation altogether. Although that said, Kiria is pretty slow and needs all the help she can get for dodging.

And speaking of dodging, Hamstring is Touma’s equivalent of Fang Breaker, but for Hit/Evade. Like Fang Breaker, it is never leaving his skill slots for as long as I can feasibly hold on to it.

Anyway, if we bear right in that large open area, we’ll eventually work our way over to a Res Incense.

And if we go up the stairs from there, we’ll reach the end of this area past another camera hallway.

…Huh, well that wasn’t supposed to happen. Guess we should go back and check out those other ledges.

The center ledge drops us on the other side of that pesky camera. Up the stairs?

Nothing! Pick again, fucker.

Stage Rank 4 nets us Unyielding Lord, raising his evade against Lances. Again, it’s kinda filler-y, but getting a free Evade skill against one of your weaknesses (that doesn’t take up a skill slot!) is pretty solid.

As you can probably guess, the right ledge drops us behind that camera and lets us grab a cool ten grand in cold, hard cash. And hey, we’re about to fight a miniboss, so why not put that money to use and stock up on supplies?

The Obelisk is one of those “weird weapons” I mentioned when we were discussing skills and weapon inheritance, and a quick look at its resistance set should be enough to show why. It’s one of Tsubasa’s only weapons to resist fire, tosses in a Null Light because it can, and if I was so inclined, I could use it to teach Tsubasa Agilao (among other things). This is important because this literally allows her to make Touma obsolete, assuming you’re happy with her session skills.

Of course, Touma can do the same thing. The Yomotsu Hirasaka would allow Touma to pick up Wind Strike, letting him pull double duty on Tsubasa’s elemental coverage. This isn’t as viable long-term because Agilao is a Tier 2 spell (whereas Wind Strike is a Tier 1 physical attack), and Touma will still be lacking Tsubasa’s healing prowess, but you could absolutely do it if you’re feeling saucy.

Kiria, meanwhile, just has a couple standard upgrades. The Silver Rod blocks Sleep, but otherwise neither of her new weapons are particularly notable.

Anyway, let’s go rescue some models.

Ah… I remember those people! They were at the photo shoot!

We have to save them!

And standing in our way is…a sentient camera. Well at least it’s on-brand.

We’ll have to take this thing down first if we want to save them.

Yeah. Let’s do this, Chrom!

:siren: Vs. Tarnished Myrmidon :siren:

Like most of the minibosses, Tarnished Myrmidon mostly coasts on his support crew to really do damage. That said, he’s got a couple fun surprises in store for us.

First of all, we should deal with these guys. This is our first taste of archers, and we really don’t want Tsubasa on the receiving end of that.

Kiria isn’t particularly useful either, but she’s better for clearing out these mooks. The shaman is kind of a joke, and I’m not sure why he got to tag along here.

TM gets two moves a turn, and starts his cycle by casting Tarukaja and Sukukaja. This is your freebie turn before shit hits the fan.

Fortunately the archers are weak to Electric and Lances, so cleaning them out is pretty trivial. If you get Itsuki and Touma lined up right in the turn queue, you might even wipe them out before they get a shot off.

Here’s where things start getting ugly. On his second turn, TM will cast Order Snipers, which gives all the enemies an elemental flavor, and causes them to attack the same target. He’ll also throw out a Media to top off any of the archers that are still alive.

Now, because you’re a smart cookie who knows what all your weaknesses are, this is the point where you switch out whoever the game decided to target. This has the benefit of breaking the lock-on, but you’re still going to get everyone hit by the new elemental arrows. It’s a minor damage boost, but nothing you shouldn’t be able to shrug off.

Alternatively, you can be like me and kill them all before they get to do anything at all. I recommend that one.

TM himself is weak to Ice and Lances. The ice weakness is incredibly tempting, especially considering Kiria’s sky-high magic stat, but he gets two turns and you really don’t want him repeatedly smacking her with Cleave. Touma and Tsubasa are more than enough to tear him apart safely.

That said, he’s perfectly capable of fucking up Tsubasa’s day too. Granted, this is with a Tarukaja active, but Wind Strike does respectable enough damage that two of them will easily kill her in one turn.

That’s all he has in his bag of tricks, though. Once he’s alone, he goes down real quick.

And a round of new skills for everyone. Tsubasa, Touma, and Kiria get Sukukaja, Speed Boost, and Mabufu respectively.

Looks like they’re all back to normal. What a relief…

Itsuki and the others rescued the kidnapped models…

Before we check out for today, let’s see what everyone has to say at the halfway point.

It seems like he was taking the girls’ Peforma through their pictures.

Let’s keep this up and rescue Ms. Maiko!

If things had been even a little different, Tsubasa might have gotten taken too, right? Maybe it’s good the photo shoot got stopped!

1 Like

I promise, this is the last update for the actual dungeon, then we can move on to way more interesting things.

On to the final part of the dungeon!

Look!

So yeah, you might notice that the decor has changed. Horinozawa really was not kidding about the muse thing.

H-Hey… Is this…?

Mmm. Let’s go.

Area 3 introduces the final new obstacle, these big roll-up photographs. They’ll be our shortcuts later on, but we’ll have to find a way to unroll them first.

And hey, look who we have here.

Ugh…Huh? Hey, I’m busy, can’t you see that? Geez, quit botherin’ me and scram. What is it about my Performa? Is it THAT amazing? I’ve been attractin’ nothing but losers…

And what do YOU want- Hey, I know you! You’re the human fella! Look at that, still alive are ya? Great! There’s more nitwits that just won’t leave me alone. Go make yourself useful and take care of 'em, will ya?

Itsuki accepted the quest Pummel the Pests.

Right, I need you to track down that dreary-as-heck Shaman and his friend the hideous, spooky Skellington. Oh! And I forget his name, but the last one in the trio is the worst. The worst! Get that pompous punk in the hat!

Alrighty! Go get 'em, tiger!

And just like before, we’re actually mostly done with this already. Shamans are all over the second room, and the pompous punk is an archer, which we got from the miniboss. We’ll just have to keep an eye out for the Skellingtons.

And immediately to her left, we have a big blue switch.

This causes the blue photograph to unroll. Mystery solved?

Before we cross it though, we can jump off a ledge to find a Clap Track. They immediately fill a full bar of SP, which sounds really good but in practice it’s either really situtational or too little too late. If you’re in the position where you need to bust out an SP Attack but don’t have enough charge for it, you’re probably in bad enough shape that it wouldn’t have helped anyway.

Across the blue photo, we have a one-way door and a handful of cameras.

There’s also a very sneaky light wall hidden around the right corner. This one is incredibly easy to miss, and we’re going to want to remember where all of these guys are about 30 hours from now!

There’s our Skellington friend. Like their clown cousins, swords will tear them up pretty quickly, and they’ve traded an electric weakness for a fire one. He’s got a pretty nasty Bufula on him, but that’s about all he can do to fuck you up.

Heading up the stairs by the one-way door takes us to a red photo and another camera/item. Sleeping Sand is exactly what it sounds like, and can be used to inflict sleep on an enemy. Just use Dormina, or better yet don’t use ailments at all.

Past the Sleeping Sands, the path just kinda meanders for a bit. Along the way, Touma picks up Ice-Lunge, making Itsuki/Kiria/Touma a pretty viable party if we were so inclined.

Maybe if I could shine brightly enough, it’d throw off their focus. I think there was a skill like that, wasn’t there?

Another red photo, and an extremely forced tutorial on Lightoma. It certainly has its uses later on, but it’s extremely easy to see the cameras and where they’re guarding. Maybe next time, buddy! :buddy:

Just down the stairs from our tutorial friend, there’s a Performa hidden in plain sight. You can see how narrow the camera’s field of view actually is, given that we’re in no danger here.

New enemies! The Regal Myrmidon is packing Fire Strike (and subsequently is weak to Ice) but otherwise is exactly what you’d expect out of a sword enemy.

Immediately to the right of the performa, we can head up the stairs to break that one-way wall. And hey, this gives us a straight shot back to that cleric. Might as well go turn that quest in now.

Itsuki showed her the Skellington Force!

Ah! So you found that no-good hideous, spooky Skellington, huh? That’s all of 'em! Good work there.

Say, you’re pretty useful! Maybe you’ll come in handy again sometime. Later, stud!

>Obtained Treasure Key!

:toot:

A brief diversion back to the office to fuse some new weapons. The main standouts are Tsubasa’s new weapons, as the Killer Lance has a higher crit rate and the Blood Lance teaches her Life Drain. We also have those weird weapons still available, which I’ll probably make after the chapter is over. Which one would you guys rather see?

And hey, speaking of diversions!

You know, working here as a clerk, I tend to hear a lot of rumors about the entertainment industry. Most of it is just nonsense and heresay, but…there are a few things that worry me. Itsuki, can you do me a favor and check out a rumor for me?

Itsuki accepted the request The Voiceless Voice Actress!

Thank you. Have you heard about a voice actress named Nanane Anigoe? She voiced Grippon on “The People of Diatama Village.” She’s a rising star in the voice-over industry.

It seem like she recently fell into a bit of a depression, which isn’t like her at all. I think a mirage might have done something to her, and if that’s the case we can’t ignore it.

She’s currently performing in an event at Daitama Observatory. Could you go check up on her?

Seems straightforward enough, and we’re already blowing off the plot as-is, so why not? To Daitama!

Anyway, the hunched over girl might be Anigoe. You know, just a thought.

But…my voice…it’s no good… I can’t go on like this… Why!? Why did this…!?

Itsuki, there is no doubt that her performa has been stolen.

So it IS a mirage’s doing… We should return to Ayaha and report this.

So we go back to the office and have a deep and meaningful conversation where she tells us to go kill a demon in Illusory Daitama. Please contain your surprise.

And sure enough, a new orange enemy has spawned. Approaching him triggers the fight, so saving beforehand is…highly recommended, shall we say.

So, on one hand, these are still the regular Illusory Daitama enemies, just jacked up 20 levels. We already know their weaknesses and more or less what they can do. On the other hand, this means they have an extra 20 levels of stats and moves, on top of being a five man fight. What does that mean for us?

Well, all things considered, not much. Those are some rather large numbers (especially on Touma), but it’s really not that bad once they’re doing it once a turn instead of five times. That said, having Tsubasa around for healing duty is highly recommended if you’re not horrendously overlevelled.

All in all, a nice bundle of experience. I like that these little challenge fights are just scattered around, since the main game itself is pretty easy.

And this… Oh, Fangbreaker. My sweet, precious baby Fangbreaker. This is going on Itsuki and literally never leaving, because it’s a combination sword attack and Tarunda. There is nothing in the game that is immune to it (barring the obvious “things that reflect swords”), it costs basically nothing, and it guarantees that Itsuki always has something he can be doing in a fight, no matter how useless he would otherwise be. Touma has Hamstring, which is the Sukunda equivalent of this skill and is equally amazing.

Anyway, with that done, let’s go back and check up with Anigoe.

I can touch people’s hearts with my voice, so I need to have confidence in myself and work hard!

(It looks like she’ll be okay now. I should go report to Ayaha.)

There may be similar cases involving Mirages that aren’t apparent on the surface, I’ll let you know if I hear anything suspicious. And when that time comes, I’ll be counting on you, Itsuki.

Request complete! Obtained Clap Track!

Back to the dungeon, picking up from the one-way wall. It’s kind of a pain to navigate with all the cameras and blocked passages, but progress from here is a left, followed by a right up the stairs.

And that will bring us to the red lock. :toot: If we continue up the stairs past the red lock, we’ll find a pair of smoke machines and a ledge to drop off that brings us back to the one-way.

Elusive Distance is the same as Itsuki’s Unyielding Lord, and gives Kiria a free Evade Physical.

With the red lock open, we can backtrack a little bit and find a pair of treasure keys(!!).

And on the way back, we find another one of these guys. We could play its game and try to chip away its 8 or so HP, or we could just nuke it with Kiria.

Straight ahead and to the left from the one-way sends us up to the last leg of our journey.

Along the way, we grab a pair of Revival Beads and Itsuki upgrades to the Tier 2 Sword skill.

And that’s the end of the dungeon. Before we charge in though, we can find a few more goodies by scouring the area, including a pair of Soma Droplets and four Amrita Sodas.

Next time, we throw down with Horinozawa! See you then!

1 Like

Time to wrap this dungeon up. What do you have for us, Horinozawa?

Large, dramatic staircase? Check. Giant mural of Maiko in the background? Check. Gentlemen, we have a boss arena.

:siren: A Waste of My Time :siren:

It’s kind of hard to show in screenshots, but like before, Horinozawa is doing the whole teleporty thing. He snaps a picture, moves, takes another one, etc.

Isn’t it obvious? It’s a photo shoot…

Just as I thought. You, Maiko… You alone are worthy of my art… Heh… ahaha…! Haaahahaha!

This photo shoot’s over… Now, let go of Ms. Maiko!

Hm…? You… Tsubasa Oribe!

Oh yeah, we mentioned he can seal our mirages, right? That’s kind of an important thing with Horinozawa.

…Chrom!? Chrom! What’s wrong!?

Caeda? Caeda!? No… she’s not responding…

We have to fall back! We can’t fight without our Carnage Forms!

Y-Yeah!

I’m talking to you… Tsubasa Oribe!

Y-Yes, sir!?

You know, when I heard you were from Maiko’s agency, I had such high hopes for you. I thought if ANYONE truly understood what it takes to be a model, unlike the amateurs, it would be someone from Maiko’s office!

But look at you! You’re no different from those frauds in the end! You have no respect or desire for art… I don’t need these talentless idols! Has Maiko gone blind!?

You’re right… I’m just an amateur… and maybe I can’t get anything right. I understand you’re angry… but…! It’s my fault alone! Not Ms. Maiko’s!

What?

Ms. Maiko isn’t blind…! And I’m poing to groove it to you!

I-I mean… I’ll show you what I can really do!

Ugh! Damn amateurs… You talk the talk, but if you want to impress me, you’ll have to walk the walk!

Once again, Tsubasa comes through with a thoroughly well thought-out plan. Excellent work, team.

Ugh. Now THAT was a waste of my time.

Ahaha… I told you before. You’re the only one who can be my muse, Maiko!

So yeah, we can’t touch him yet and have to do something in the real world before we can continue. Thanks for stealing this mechanic, by the way, Persona 5. It’s even better when you’re on a time limit and each dive counts as a day!

I guess that means we aren’t ready… Wait, where’s Chrom!?

…Don’t worry, we’re all right. It looks like that man’s camera has the power to seal away a Mirage’s power temporarily.

…That’s going to be an issue.

Itsuki, look!

What is it?

Yashiro Tsurugi’s live concert…? Oh, right. I totally forgot it was today, after all that other stuff.

Wait…that’s weird. The city’s under the effect of the Mirages, but this place seems so lively. Why is that?

You’ll know once you see it.

Huh…? But we shouldn’t be going to see a concert at a time like this…

It’s because it’s a “time like this” that we should. Remember? You’re Mirage Masters now. There’s definitely something you can learn from a first-class artist.

I-I see!

You have your tickets, right? Come on.

:siren: :siren: :siren: Yashiro Tsurugi ~ Black Rain Full Song :siren: :siren: :siren:

[quote=Lyrics]I break though any limit keeping me from my goal,
Till the dawn of an awakened new world under my control!

I could never forget the ice-cold memory,
Yet I’ll forge on with a fire burning in me.
Beyond the darkness, what awaits?
No matter what, it must be fate.
I’ll walk my path, blindly,
Shining illusions, deceive my heart,
And try to lead me astray.
But with this power absolute, unleash it all…
And tear through the pain!

I break though any limit keeping me from my goal,
I can feel the flames burning ever higher in my soul!
Hide the pain, hide the bloody shame of your wounded love,
In the end, only those with power are the ones who rise above![/quote]

I…really don’t have anything to say about Black Rain. I’m not particularly fond of it as a song, and it feels like it’s just kinda there (although admittedly it does seem to be one of the more popular songs in the game, based on some incredibly unscientific Gamefaqs polling). It does, however, tell you everything you need to know about Yashiro’s aesthetic, for good or ill.

:siren: A True Performer :siren:

Wow… Yashiro Tsurugi’s concert was amazing…

He’s the real deal. You could say he’s one of the few true artists in the field.

…Take a look around.

Yashirooooo!

Ah… I feel like my weathered soul has been healed… The world’s never looked so bright…!

…Wow. Shibuya’s still dark, but all his fans seem fine…

Yashiro catches sight of Itsuki, and then wanders off. Real friendly fellow, if you haven’t noticed yet.

…A truly incredible performance can enthrall an audience, no matter the situation. This is the same thing Horinozawa was talking about. You understand, Tsubasa?

Huh…? Oh.

Performing live or posing as a model… They’re different, but they both demand the same thing: captivating your audience.

Captivating my audience through performing…and photos…?

What you need is an idea of how you want to present yourself. A clear vision of what you want to do.

Vision…?

I think she means you need to know what you want your pictures - your work - to express.

What I want to express… What kind of pictures I want…

Well, it’s a start, I guess, but it doesn’t really help us get past Horinozawa’s magic camera. Maybe Tiki or Aya has an idea.

[quote] Um, big brother? Are you guys back in the real Shibuya now? Could you come back to the office?
There’s someone here… I wonder who it is…? I don’t think I’ve ever met this person before.
[/quote]

A surprise visitor, you say? What a coincidence! Let’s head back now.

:siren: A Surprise Visit :siren:

Why, it’s Mr. Hatanaka! I guess we should uh, probably give him the bad news about Maiko.

Hm? Oh, you’re… Ah, I see. You were a member of Fortuna Entertainment.

Uh… I’d say I’m still in training. What brings you to our office, Mr. Hatanaka?

Your president called me over to discuss something. She said she wanted to discuss a new marketing strategy for…let’s see…Tsubasa Oribe, was it?

F-For me?

Yep, that’s right. So, any idea when Ms. Shimazaki will be back in the office?

…She’s busy at the moment. She might not be back for a while.

Really? I opened up my schedule just for this… Well, that’s a downer. I guess another of her meetings must be dragging on long or something.

She’s in a meeting with Nobu Horinozawa…

Ah, a rendezvous with Mr. Horinozawa. Wow… I didn’t expect the two of them to still be in contact. I was convinced that after she retired from her career, their relationship was over too. I mean, considering everything…

What do you mean?

The two of them used to be a pretty famous duo in the modeling world.

Really?

Oh, well… I guess you might be too young to know about it. Wow, I feel a lot older all of a sudden…

“My Complex”?

It’s a photo book featuring Ms. Shimazaki. It was released right after she started branching out from modeling work into other parts of the entertainment business.

Her smile, her pose…all of it was filled with this charm, this coquettish ennui! She enthralled the men of Japan… Why, that photo book ended up having a huge impact on the fashion industry! At the time, anyway.

…And her photographer was none other than Mr. Horinozawa.

I’ll skip the gory details… They were a great duo. But there were rumors that their relationship was…more than professional. That caused some problems for both of them, and their reputation in the industry suffered for it.

I had no idea…

I’ll see you around.

Most of this really isn’t much of a surprise. Maiko herself told us she used to be a model and that she knew Horinozawa before he was a big shot photographer. And on the other side, Horinozawa’s obsession with Maiko as his “muse” certainly lends credence to the idea that they had done extensive work together, if not something more. But hey, good to have confirmation, I guess.

Why don’t we try looking for some photos of Maiko from when she was a model?

Her photos?

The only person Nobu Horinozawa considers worthy of his photography is Maiko. So if we take a look at Maiko’s old photos, maybe we’ll find some kind of clue.

You’re right. Something Ms. Maiko has, but Tsubasa doesn’t… There must be some kind of hint in those pictures.

Exactly. Let’s split up and look for that photo book Hatanaka mentioned.

We have free reign to look around the office at this point, but really it’s gotta be somewhere in this mess. Clean your shit up, Maiko! How is anyone supposed to find something on these shelves?

:siren: My Complex :siren: (You should really watch this video)

Alright, come on guys, it’s just a photo book. How good could it really-

:staredog:

This is…a real professional’s work. Both model and photographer are expressing themselves, and they won’t settle for less.

Oh, Touma’s getting some inspiration all right, but somehow I don’t think that’s what you meant, Itsuki.

I did notice something. In every single one of these photos, Ms. Maiko looks so…relaxed.

Touma, can I take a closer look at “My Complex”?

Huh…? Wh- Oh! Oh, yeah. Sure.

Hey, come on! I can’t help it! No guy could resist this! Especially- look, right there!

It’s like I’m getting a glimpse into her private life! Like the kinda intimate look she’d only show her boyfriend! Oh, man… This is the weirdest thing. I understand that it’s Ms. Maiko on these pages, but I- I mean, I…

…I’m…getting a little too excited, huh.

…Yeah.

…Ahaha… ha…

Yeah, okay, I know what that laugh means…

That’s our Touma. :allears:

That’s why Ms. Maiko trusted him so completely…and how he took pictures that were so breathtaking.

And me… I was just so embarrassed about the whole thing. I just did what I was told, hoping it’d be over quicker. No wonder he was angry with me… What I did was disrespectful to the staff at the shoot, and everyone who sees my photos.

That’s what I learned from “My Complex”… I’m not going to run away from having my picture taken anymore. I have to face my camera…and my audience, head on!

I see… Yeah, I think that’s more like you, Tsubasa.

So… Itsuki, I have a little favor to ask. I have some poses I was kind of thinking about…and I want a guy’s opinion.

Sure. As long as you’re okay with my input.

fade to black

Suddenly, Itsuki is a master of photography and posing. Seriously, go watch the video if only for this part. Touma and Kiria’s reactions to what’s going on are incredible. :allears:

Got it, Itsuki!

Maybe a little more… If you had a hint of nervousness and shyness in your facial expression…?

L-Like this?

Perfect. That’s great. But I think you can do better. Try a little more cheerfulness and anticipation in your pose…

Okay, I’ll try it!

A little more cuteness… but still passionate…!

Yeah… I think this is it!

And there’s our plot token. Now we’re ready to fight Horinozawa, for real this time.

Ah… A Performa…

You did it, Tsubasa.

Well done. I think with that, you can finally prove yourself to Horinozawa.

Feel My Soul is a very…interesting skill for Tsubasa. And by “interesting” I mean “bad” because she literally only has a single skill that inflicts Charm, and it requires 5-star Prestiges to make, putting it about three dungeons down the road. But hey, it’s a plot skill so shrug

Yes, I believe you can. You did your utmost to reach this point, Tsubasa. I know you can succeed.

Yeah! I’m… I’m going to do it! With this pose that Itsuki and I came up with, I’m going to save Ms. Maiko!

That’s the spirit, Tsubasa!

3 Likes

Itsuki’s two character traits are apparently being a good advisor and passionately describing food, huh

That last video there is a really great sequence, though I think the single best part is the look that Itsuki’s giving Touma.

I am liking how the framework of the game is that while Itsuki’s the Player Character, the whole thing is ultimately about Tsubasa and her lessons and struggles with what it means to have her dream job.

The Man With The Demon Camera, take two.

:siren: The Photo Shoot :siren:

Yes…I understand! Tsubasa Oribe’s taking the stage!

Well. That uh, certainly is an outfit.

Of course, this scene means it’s time to dive back into the world of localization and “censorship”. In the JP version, this gig was for gravure modelling, complete with a far more provocative outfit. Whether the change was warranted or not is not the point (insert your own “puritan westerners” argument here), but it’s something to bear in mind about what this scene was “supposed” to be.

Both Itsuki and I worked to come up with this pose… It’s going to work! This…is the best performance I can give!

I can see it… She’s going on a first date with the boy of her dreams, and she wants to go all out for him…

Street chic, full of energy and joy… And her smile, with that hint of bashfulness! It’s the perfect harmony!

Seductive, without being direct or explicit! That perfect balance, that genuine feel of teen romance! This is…Tsubasa Oribe!

That’s right!

Yes! Yes! These are the greatest shots EVERRR!

:staredog: Well, someone did an awful quick 180. I mean, he’s still possessed by a demon of some sort, but it certainly seems like we got through to the real Horinozawa.

I can’t believe TMS is going to use its best mirage design in Chapter 2. It’s all downhill from here, folks. :allears:

[quote]

Gangrel is the primary antagonist of the first act of Awakening. He’s known as the “Mad King of Plegia”, and harbors a special hatred of Ylisse because of the war started by Chrom’s father. He responds in kind by starting one of his own, and the climax of the first act comes when he kills Chrom’s sister, Emmeryn. He can be recruited toward the end of the game, and while he doesn’t have a whole lot to say, most of his characterization is along of the lines of “Wow, I was a little too into the whole tyrant thing, huh?”[/quote]

No! I’m not embarrassed! Because…I want to show everyone the best me I possibly can!

She’s right… And you don’t have a single ounce of artistic taste in you. So be quiet!

Pardon me while I vomit! Is that all it takes to win you over, Horinozawa? Some vapid, doe-eyed strumpet? Is that all you wanted!?

Hm… True, her technique is still lacking… But her poses have heart! She has spirit! And that’s all that matters in the beginning!

Well, I’m heartbroken. Truly. Is that all you’re good for? You’re a pathetic excuse for a man!

And YOU are a philistine! You have no appreciation for the art of photography! I won’t let an artless creature like you hide inside me anymore! Get the hell out of me!

Horinozawa rejecting Gangrel causes their bond to weaken and reveal the orb that binds them. The fact that that’s even a thing that can happen raises several more questions, but they can wait until after we murder this magnificent, JoJo’s-ass demon.

Itsuki! This might be our chance! I think we can separate that Mirage from the photographer!

Way ahead of you, Chrom. Let’s rock and roll!

You… MAGGOTS! Get out of my way…you TRASH!

:siren: Boss Fight: Gangrel :siren:

Gangrel isn’t significantly harder than Aversa, but he’s the first real-deal boss that gets multiple attacks per turn, and he does significantly more damage than she did. If Goujin is the tutorial and Aversa is the “You understand sessions” check, Gangrel is the “This is still an SMT game” boss.

Our first order of business is to buff up, since his first turn isn’t spent on direct attacks. Itsuki will be making liberal use of Fang Breaker throughout the fight, but he does have Tarukaja available as necessary, and Tsubasa has a Sukukaja ready to go at any time.

Ugh… Pathetic! All of you!

His first trick is Reversal of Fortunes, which summons three barbarians and a myrmidon to the field. This is immediately followed up by…

Hurry it up! If you can’t take a hit, you’re WORTHLESS!

Shield me!, which is exactly what it sounds like. Anything specifically targeted at Gangrel (including attacks in the middle of a session) will be transferred to one of his minions instead.

So, herein lies the main problem with the Gangrel fight. You’ve got three goons who are going to tear up Touma and Tsubasa, with another one (and the boss!) who are going to ruin Kiria’s day. Unlike Aversa, who was very explicit about who she was going to fuck up, you are always carrying a liability in this fight, and enemy sessions are as real of a threat as ever.

And these are not fodder enemies. The barbarians aren’t quite as hardy, but a full session’s worth of attacks didn’t even drop the myrmidon to half health.

Once you mop up the myrmidon, Kiria needs to come out ASAP. Not only are the barbarians weak to ice, Mabufu gets past Protect Me! to hit Gangrel as well.

Gangrel has two offensive patterns as long as his lackeys are still alive. The first and more likely one involves him detaching his head and swiping at you for moderate sword damage, which is still a lot of damage! With Tarunda active and hitting Tsubasa (who resists swords), he still did almost 100 damage a pop. If he decides to focus on Kiria (or maybe even Itsuki, depending on condition), you can absolutely lose them in a single turn.

His second pattern starts with Strobe Pulse, which has a chance of inflicting silence seal on the entire party. As you might expect, this prevents you from using any skills with the affected party member, as well as blocks them from participating in sessions. This will be followed up by one of his physical attacks, usually Dire Slice unless he’s really low on health.

Now that we’ve cleaned house, the question of party composition becomes a lot more interesting. As previously mentioned, Gangrel is weak to Ice, and Kiria can pump out way more damage than Tsubasa, even before you consider that she’s hitting weaknesses with every single session. However, she’s weak to swords and is completely crippled by getting hit with Strobe Pulse. Personally, I consider that too much liability for a marginal damage increase, but if you’re feeling lucky, you can easily shave a turn or two off the fight by being aggressive and just shoving her full of Revival Beads as necessary.

That said, I have him down in the red before the first set of reinforcements appear. Itsuki/Tsubasa/Touma might be the “safe” and slower party, but it is by no means less capable of fucking him up.

After a couple turns of beating up on him, he’ll call in more reinforcements and reactivate Protect Me! If Kiria dodged Strobe Pulse (or has since been cured), you’re golden! Repeat steps 1-3 and Gangrel will be done in no time.

…Oh.

Now, a smarter man than I would look at this situation and say “Yeah, Full Throttle is perfect here.” Sure, it would only kill one of the barbarians, but it’s way better than pulling out a defenseless caster immediately before three barbarians in a row get turns.

Unfortunately, that man was not the one holding the controller.

To past-me’s credit, I did use Aerial Dance to try and mitigate the damage. In addition to heavy lance damage to all enemies, that gives the entire party regen for three turns afterwards. See if you can spot the problem with this strategy.

No, go on, I insist.

Can’t heal when you’re already dead!

“That’s what all our Spicy Curries and Revival Beads are for!” I hear you saying.

Unfortunately, the damage is done. There’s too many barbarians up to safely revive Kiria or Tsubasa, and Itsuki can’t take all three hits on his own.

But hey, maybe you get lucky and Itsuki somehow pulls through. You’re finally at a safe point to start picking people up and put an end to this fight. You’ve still got this, right?

Well, my friend, say hello to Dire Slice Ultra. This is “Dire Slice, but to everyone” and it will absolutely fuck you up if you aren’t ready for it. It’s not that the damage is particularly high - rather, it’s that he hits everyone and will continue to use it once a turn until you kill him or wipe. It is very, very easy to get caught in a loop of someone dying, getting revived, and then getting killed again before they actually get a turn to act.

Incidentally, there is no game over screen in this game. In the event of a TPK, the game just fades to black and boots you back to the title screen where you can load a save file.

This time, there will be no such mistakes.

Good night, sweet prince.

A healthy round of experience for everyone, and a handful of new skills for the crew.

Itsuki picks up Safety Leader, which makes enemies less likely to get an ambush on us, as well as learning Res Boost and upgrading Fire-Slash.

Touma unlocks his second sidequest, along with Tarukaja.

Tsubasa collects a full set of new skills, with Mazan and Null Sleep being the standouts.

And poor Kiria just gets Flux +1. At least she’s most of the way to picking up Agi?

Next time, it’s the end of Chapter 2 and the promised photo shoot!

Dang, that’s a good-ass Gangrel. Not my first guess as the mirage behind a photography-related incident, but his design and demeanor are absolutely fantastic.

I wasn’t aware it was originally gravure modeling, and while it makes the boss lady’s book make more sense I’m really glad they decided to change it.

Also I love Gangrel’s marching band looking ass

Really, the outfit replacing the gravure one is one of the better ones for Tsubasa, IMO. Changing it might make the plot have a few odd minor details, but aesthetically it’s pretty good. It’s also doesn’t change the fact that Tsubasa is modeling for the first time and would be nervous and incredibly inexperienced regardless of the subject matter for the shoot, so the purpose of the plot doesn’t change.

I really like this design of Gangrel. I think it does a really good job of tweaking his original design to fit in with a more modern, pop-culture aesthetic.

(…Or maybe I just think that because they made his crown into a hat. That’s a strong possibility.)

1 Like

It’s a damn good hat.

I prefer the change for the Western release, but maybe I’m just one of those puritanical westerners that were talked about?

2 Likes

Considering that, again, this is Tsubasa’s story of overcoming her hang-ups and inexperience, I think the revised version suits the character and flow of that undertone much more effectively, making it more about her becoming confident and capable as opposed to sexualizing her. Similarly this reflects on Horinozawa as the former makes him actually come across as an artist with passion while the latter makes him come across like a big creep.

1 Like

I feel like I’ve missed something here, what is this revised version people are talking about?

The Western version of this game had several changes made to it, as mentioned in the intro post. One of these changes was revealed in the latest update; go to the part where Tsubasa changes her outfit, or do a text search for gravure.

I was going to explain it, but since I was beaten to the punch, I’ll just say that I support the change too. There are some good arguments for it already mentioned, so all I can add is that the street fashion is just more interesting to look at. It’s cute and colorful!

:siren: Safe and Sound :siren:

Nnh… Everyone…?

Actually, Ms. Maiko, I think you’re the one that saved me. If it wasn’t for your photo book, I don’t know if I could have gotten through this…

After I saw your photos, I realized something very important.

Photo book…? Are you talking about “My Complex”?

Yes! Thanks to that, I found an answer of my own!

Hee hee… Is that so? Well, I’m glad it came in handy for you, Tsubasa.

Nobu…

And Oribe.

Y-Yes!?

I know now there was something wrong with me. You helped open my eyes to what I had been doing. I want to thank you… There was a part of me that felt like all idols were worthless.

But you healed my clouded judgement! There’s still people who know what it means to model! I have my art back… Let’s take wonderful pictures together!

Y-Yes, sir! I- Um… It’ll be ply measure!

Aw, it’s a happy ending for everyone!

I always thought Maiko looked really awkward here. Tsubasa and the blonde girl can pull the look off, but Maiko is just too old for that overalls getup. She looked much more natural in the original swimsuit, albeit still kind of out of place next to the others.

A successful photo shoot. Well done, gang!

I thought I might be falling for you! I can understand now why Touma was so into that photo book.

Huh? U-Um… F-F-Falling… for me…? Wh-What’s gotten into you all of a sudden?

I think I understand what Kiria meant when she talked about a performance that can captivate a viewer. I’m sure those pictures you just took will capture the hearts of your fans, Tsubasa.

…Oh…

What’s wrong?

Nothing…

Another day, another opportunity for Itsuki to shove his foot in his mouth.

Anyway… it was thanks to you that I managed to get this far, Itsuki. So… Thank you.

…? What’s the problem? Something on my face?

Oh, uh- No…

…Whatever. Bye. I have to go pack up for the day. leaves

That girl really stands out…

She sure does, Itsuki. She’s almost as rude as Yashiro, and that’s quite the accomplishment!

Anyway, back to the office to close this chapter out.

:siren: Eleonora Yumizuru :siren:

O-O-Ohmygosh! Wh-What do I do, Itsuki!? Kiria’s complimenting me!

Then again, maybe some things aren’t going to change…

Huh?

I’m looking forward to seeing you improve even more.

Eeeeek! Y-Y-Yes, ma’am! Mank you thery vuch!

I never would have guessed from how you act, Kiria, but you really do care a lot about other people.

I… have no idea what you’re talking about.

And the enemies are slowly getting stronger, too. This could be bad.

I know what you mean, Kiria… If we can’t find a way to fight back, the attacks might get to be more than we can handle.

Our best shot is to take down the root of all this… The enemy Mirage that’s commanding all of them. The problem is, how exactly are we going to find this leader…?

First of all… Do we know what kind of a person we’re up against?

Well, not quite, Itsuki. The leader’s bound to be a Mirage, not a human.

Right, but what I mean is if this Mirage leader is possessing someone, what kind of person would it possess?

Well… If we’re talking about the boss of all our enemies, it’d probably possess a powerful figure in the industry…

Gasp! That’s it… All the powerful Mirages that were involved in the incidents have been directly possessing humans! I was imagining someone more like Tiki… but if they’re actively plotting against us, they’d need a body in our world!

So the enemy leader would possess someone influential enough in entertainment that they could afford Nobu’s time… No…that doesn’t get us very far, actually. There’d still be way too many possibilities.

What do you mean?

Mr. Horinozawa’s personality would have been different immediately before and after he was possessed.

I see… So the point right before the change would be when he came into contact with the Mirage mastermind! Nice thinking, Itsuki!

All right. Time to put all my connections to good use!

This is a surprisingly solid plan, given our group’s track record! Of course, it hinges on Maiko’s business connections knowing pretty much every media executive and knowing when this personality change happened and that said personality change was drastic enough that other executives noticed.

…So yeah, it’s pretty much on par with our other hair-brained schemes. Great work, team!

She?

???: Oh, did I keep you waiting? Well, I’m back now. A true Hollywood-style homecoming!

Hey, it’s the blonde girl from earlier. See if you can figure out her gimmick before the end of the update, they’re pretty subtle about it.

Welcome back, Ellie!

This is Eleonora Yumizuru. She’s a Mirage Master like you all, and also a young actress with Fortuna Entertainment.

That’s right. I’m a rising star right now, but I’ll be at the top of Hollywood soon enough.

Wait, you were at that shoot too…? I didn’t know you were with Fortuna.

I’m a new Mirage Master here. My name’s Itsuki Aoi. It’s nice to meet you.

A new Master, huh. And what exactly are you aiming to be?

I haven’t really figured that out yet. I don’t really know if I’m good at anything…

Geez. So you really are just a total newbie here. Well, if you ever need anything, just come to me for help. Experienced veterans have to show the newbies how everything works. That’s how it works in Hollywood!

…Yeah, Hollywood and everywhere else…

Itsuki is clearly not impressed by Ellie’s veteran status. Kiria seems like a far more approachable role model if he really had any questions.

Just Ellie’s fine. Everyone calls me that. It sounds way more Hollywood.

Sounds…Hollywood?

Exactly. So, what’s up?

Are you…biracial, Ellie?

You got it. My mom’s side is from Europe.

I see…

What? It’s not like that’s a big deal.

Some day, this is going to bite us in the ass. But today is not that day. :allears:

Well, you’re just so pretty. I was just thinking you probably look great on-screen when you’re in movies or TV shows.

Wh-

G-Geez, and out comes the sweet talk! I can see right through your little act, you know!

Wh-What? No, that’s not my intention at all.

That’s our Itsuki! cue laugh track

So, Ellie, what kind of shows have you been in?

What? Are you serious? Are you telling me you’ve never seen “Dandelion in Love”!? It’s getting really big these days!

Sorry, I’ve never heard of it…but it must be an amazing show.

O-Of course it is! And it’s exactly the breakout hit I need to become a huge star someday!

Okay…

What’s your deal…? Fine. You just watch. One day, you won’t be able to turn on the TV without seeing my face!

And YOU can cut it out with that patronizing attitude! I’m not a fan!

I’m not trying to be patronizing… but that show of yours isn’t getting great ratings. And barely anyone’s talking about it.

I-It’s just getting started! It’s foreshadowing for the big dramatic turnaround, like in all success story movies! You just don’t get it!

Thank you, Touma. :allears:

And are you new here, too?

Mhm! My name is Tsubasa Oribe. It’s my pleasure to be working with you, Ms. Eleonora.

Tsubasa, huh? You can just call me Ellie, too. That sounds more movie-star-ish.

In the midst of all this silliness, Maiko gets a phone call.

And that must be a new offer for me!

Yes…? Yes… I’ll let her know. Thank you very much.

So, what’s the new gig?

Uh, well, it was a job offer… for Mamori…

Um… well… Never give up, Ellie! Tomorrow is another day!

O-Oh… that’s fine! I mean, I just came back from a job anyways! Gotta get some rest first!

Haha… guess our office is going to get a lot louder again…

Hair that vaguely resembles a habit, white button-down shirt, unrevealing attire, holier-than-thou attitude, I’m calling it that this lady is a Cleric. Given the general trend to be Awakening or original, I’m imagining she’s going to be Lissa.