Let's Play Mouse Guard: a Six Feats Under campaign

I forgot to post this a few episodes ago. But you know. A podcast is basically a boat. It a vessel that sets sail on a sea of imagination.

2 Likes

MG_Tander
Heat 07 - Bridge Patrol Over Troubled Waters

With the main task completed and a few day’s downtime before her next mission, granny is ready to give her patrol a rare, unexpected vacation. Unfortunately for the Mouse Guard, there’s no such thing as vacation - a militia is forming, the frogs are breeding, and there’s something weird going on at Tito’s place.

2 Likes

I really wish that Drakkels mike(?) got fixed, it’s so hard to hear him. :confused:

The upcoming Bonus Feat this week comes in much better, but, yeah, I already relayed this to him while I was editing to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Audacity can only do so much, as much as I tend to bash it.

there’s an Open Mike joke here somewhere

2 Likes

MG_Lily
Heat 08 - Bat Patrol Mixes It All Together

The patrol has finally made their way to Walnutpeck, where Gwendolyn will meet with the Bat King, asking for their support. Francisca, Isolde, Lily, and Zeke need this meeting to go well. With the help of teamwork, mom cooking tips, and a certain legendary spooky mouse, they’ll do whatever it takes.

3 Likes

Since it is clearly necessary here is my head canon for best to worst hand writing. It may differ from the players actual perspectives however:

Granny
Marx
Sable
Lily
Tander
Francisca
Zeke
Isolde

1 Like

Soon, our next episode will go up. In that episode I promise to make a few posts on some background info. Here’s the first now, because I’m not going to be home later. This is slight spoilers? Technically?

Guide to the Territories pt10: Rosard and Stjepan

The rest of the posts in this series are about how our game’s background is built from the series canon. This time, we’re getting semi-canonical. These two characters first appeared as prints in David Petersen’s store, and then process posts on his blog. They may appear as background extras in the upcoming volume covering the Weasel War of 1149, so let’s wait and see.

Rosard’s character in our story is based entirely on his look (since that’s all I had to go on), but it’s a look that says a lot. He’s severe and direct, without much interest in nuance. After seeing this picture on Petersen’s blog I felt I had to find a place for him in our campaign, and a brainstorming session with Gnome helped find what that place was. More on the title of “Judge”, and the other Guard Captain roles, in the next post.

This is the face I mention distracting me. Rosard was made in tribute to Ross Ritchie, head of Boom! Studios, the comics publisher that handles the Mouse Guard titles among others, and his working relationship with Petersen goes back even before Boom! acquired Archaia, the series’ original home.

Stjepan’s characterization in our story is also based on his look. He’s sharp, poised, and maybe a little too cunning. His tabbard/cloak combo suggested a high rank, so while I knew he would be a double act with Rosard, it meant the both of them would be senior mice in the Guard. As Castellan his core duties include maintaining Lockhaven itself and her defenses, but more on that later.

Stjepan the mouse was created for Stephen Christy the man. He is an important part of Archaia, and he and Ritchie were the ones to give Peterson the good news about the Mouse Guard movie’s green light at Fox, and were both serving as producers. Ironically, the blog posts about these mouse designs were published just days before production was canceled. Director Wes Ball is keeping hope alive though. Maybe someday.

And now here is that episode:

MG_Waxwort
Heat 09 - Dark Patrol Does Not Exist

In a secret location only revealed to the six mice attending, Dark Patrol meets to discuss the future of the territories. The words spoken in secret here will have a great impact on the events to come: This is a war council.

3 Likes

Guide to the Territories 10.5: Guard Captains
The first half was semi-canonical, and this is where we go completely separate from the source material. These titles and jobs are as original to our game as the PCs we play. I’m not sure how all this began, because we started talking about it on call after recording the end of Bridge Patrol, so just give the credit for the good stuff to Gnome.

This is inspired by the description of Lockhaven’s government on page 175 of the rulebook:

The Matriarch operates as strategist, ambassador and administrator. She has several captains and administrators beneath her, including a scribe, a castellan and a quartermaster.

Well it says “captain” right there, and Guard Captain is a rank, so that kicked off this whole train of thought. Here is a list of the six titles, their current holders, and what their duties entail.

Quartermaster: Genrui
In charge of monitoring the material supplies and stores of Lockhaven. Quartermaster is the only role whose duties are entirely suggested by the name, because that alone takes 10 hours a day when he’s lucky.

Scribe: Roibin
The Scribe is charged with recording the history of the Guard, maintaining Lockhaven’s libraries, managing the mail routes, and promoting the Arts across the territories. Roibin is a poet himself, and both the comics and RPG start many chapters with quotes from his work. Roibin is assisted by a black beetle he rescued and trained named Connal.

Judge: Rosard(current), Granny(former)
The Judge is charged with maintaining the law of Lockhaven and their jurisdiction over the wilderness within the scent border. They must maintain peace, and, when that fails, wage war. In her time as Judge, Ivy Waxwort wrote the current Banishment Vigil ritual, served as general in the battles against weasels in Sable’s childhood, and secured the peace that has followed since. Rosard’s time as her successor has seen that peace become a cold war, now on the brink of battle.

Castellan: Stjepan
the Castellan is in charge of the building, maintenance, and defense of Lockhaven. Road building and trail maintenance are in his portfolio, as well as consulting on all sorts of large building and engineering projects.

Stargazer: TBD
The Stargazer’s duties include weather watching, advising Gwendolyn and the guard on scientific matters, assisting he territories with planting and harvesting, and settling any disputes over the shipping lanes.

Hunter: TBD
The Hunter deals with Wild Country and anything to do with it. They arrange for the laying of the Scent Barrier, keep a journal of beast sightings, manage the apiary (in practice, Granny took this one off their hands for a few decades), and any mouse that has been banished is treated under the Hunter’s traditions instead of the Judge’s laws.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, on top of Mouse Guard, our Bonus Feat series, Deadbeat Monster Dad, dropped its second episode today! Both episodes currently are here:

MG_Zeke
Heat 10 - Fire Patrol Takes The Heat

A fire has been spotted and is moving north into the territories. Zeke and Lily quickly find their fellow patrol mates, Sable and Tander, and quickly take to their mission: they must save the settlements Gilpledge and Dorigift, before they disappear in a sea of flames.

2 Likes

Hey folks, this will likely be made into a separate topic once the episode releases publicly next month, but right now anyone backing the Patreon has early access to our newest long campaign: Shadow of the Demon Lord. This campaign introduces a real bundle of dubious heroes who are brought together seeking treatment for a plague they have all contracted recently. If I had to narrow down my favorite thing about this first episode, it’s Poorweather’s descriptions and Thyl’s music creating a unique atmosphere.

MG_Francisca
Heat 11 - Dark Patrol Considers The Spear

The war meeting continues, as Francisca, Granny, and Isolde convene with the Mouse Guard’s best. When the planning turns towards potential allies, the Spear comes up, and opinions on how helpful they may be are heavily divided.

3 Likes

MG_Tander
Heat 12 - Fire Patrol Burns Down

The fire is raging beyond all control. Can the Fire Patrol stop it in time? Or will everything turn to ash?

3 Likes

MG_Isolde
Heat 13 - Isolde Alone

In the middle of the night, Isolde has abandoned Dark Patrol. Where is she going? What is she doing? Why does this feel like it might be the end?

4 Likes

MG_Lily
Heat 14 - Fire Patrol Lights Up

The fire has died down, but the damage is done. Lily and Tander are sick, both Gilpledge and Dorigift have burned down, all the food is gone, and the supplies from Lockhaven are unusually late. Something’s up, and it isn’t just all the ash in the air.

3 Likes

Honestly, “Sable wants to hug him because she wants to hug everyone all the time” is maybe the most ‘mom’ thing thats ever been said about her.

And I’m glad it became clear that Zeke needed to be a mentor as much as Lily needed a ‘not her mom’ mentor.

MG_Francisca
Heat 15 - Dark Patrol Chases The Truth

With the black axe revealed, Isolde gone, Rosard upset, and Stjepan skipping out on his duties, the Dark Patrol’s intended mission has fallen to pieces. Granny and Franny have to figure out what happened, but they have almost no intel to go off of. But through Isolde’s treachery, a path reveals itself.

1 Like

MG_Waxwort
Heat 17 - Dark Patrol Versus Lockhaven

While Gwendolyn was out of the picture, Lockhaven has undergone a coup. The Spear is in charge now. It’s up to Granny, Francisca, Isolde, and Gwendolyn to put an end to this madness and return Lockhaven to the Mouse Guard.

And while I’m here, I just launched a kickstarter for a new tabletop game, Skull Diggers! It is a dungeon diving horror game with a lot of weird and ambitious stuff going on. Check it out, maybe!

1 Like

Is Granny’s theme song Game of life or Poker Face?