Let's Play - Game Dev Story for Android

LP Ended - Emulator Issues (Mar 28, 2017)

What is Game Dev Story?
It is a simulation game for Android where you take on the roll of being a indie game developer and try to make it big. I thought it would be fun to let everyone submit games and then see how they do as we move along the timeline.

Is there a goal?
Trying to get the #1 game at the E3-a-like is the goal, but for now it’s just about having fun making games.

I want to make this and this–
There will be plenty of games ahead, and I’ll try and throw together silly box art for each. (Or take user submitted box art)

Updates

Update 1 - Boring Studios first game.
Update 2 - Boretendo rises

2 Likes

Update 1 - Boring Studios First Game

So, before we create our own studio, let’s walk through making our first game.

: I’ll be your assistant here at Boring Studios. I look forward to working with you, whether you’re and expert or this is your first time. I know we’ll be able to win the Grand Prize in the Global Game Awards if we try hard enough!

The Team

This is our team, they will change throughout the game. I’ll give updates on them and more choice when we get to our studio in a little bit.

Making a Game

First we choose the Genre/Type which sort of blur into each other a little bit.
Platform is the current available console/PC market. PC games are cheaper to make but usually sell less.
Finally, Direction is a way to boost the game’s quality.

I’ll go over these in more detail in a little bit.

Game Direction:

We will earn more points as we develop our company, but think of the points as a bonus for our final game. We can move them around however we wish.

Development

Now our team goes to work, writing, coding and making the music and sounds.

Pre-Ranking

The game will give hints as to what Genre/Type combos work well together.

Team Icons

: The icons that appear over your staff’s head represent game points that are added to each of the game attributes, including bugs.

: Sometimes staff can be “on fire” and really boost your score. This can also boost your bugs as well.

: Debugging happens at the end of your game, you can release it early if you’re in a money crunch, but it’s usually not worth it. Each bug you remove boosts your research points that can be used to train staff.

: Once your game is finished, you can title it and ship it off to sell. This one has decent creativity but low everything else. It is not likely to sell.

: Games are rated by the global review board, they are dark gods who take no bribes. Their opinion is what keeps your game selling or not.

Boring Studios went out of business.

1 Like

: Yarr Matez did not sell and Boring Studios went under, but I know that you all can do better.

: Here’s what I need from you:

Company Name (One time vote)
Game Name
Game Platform (Available at the moment)

PC

Microx SX
Game Genre (We unlock more as we play)
Table
Adventure
Trivia
Puzzle
Educational
Game Type (We unlock more as we play)
Pirate
Animal
Robot
Historical
Ninja
Reversi
Golf
Marathon
Direction (We might not always be able to afford it)
Normal (Cost: 0)
Speed (Cost: 20) Low Quality Game / Faster to Make
Quality (Cost: 30) High Quality Game / Slower to Make
Research (Cost: 30) More Research data to upgrade staff.
Budget+ (Cost: 100) Speed & Quality with no Downsides.
Points to spend on Style (12) (We’ll gain more points as we play)
Cuteness
Realish
Approachability
Niche Appeal
Simplicity
Innocation
Game World
Polish

I don’t have any good ideas at the moment, but I’m really looking forward to seeing this LP and all the weird box art it will spawn.

I’ve wasted a lot of time on this game but never really had a successful company, so hopefully the LP Zone can run a game company better than me!

I’m really bad at naming things. But as for the game, I remember Puzzle and Animals going together fairly decently at the beginning.

I’ve played/beaten this game probably 3 or 4 times at this point, and I still have basically no idea how I did it or why the things I did worked. Should be interesting to see someone else power through it.

Even if you don’t want to make a game right now, feel free to vote for the company name.

An Educational Trivia game for the PC, Normal direction, whatever Style points you like, entitled Carmen Sandiego

1 Like

Company name voting will go until tomorrow then I’ll start on games.

If no one votes for a company name, we might end up being boring studios 2.

How about Boresoft?

If we’re gonna go with a bore pun. My vote would be for Boretendo.

i second Boretendo.

Boreny.

Microbore oh god I could do these all day.

Boradox Games

Borenami, creators of such classics as Castle-meh-nia and Silent Dull.

I wish I knew how to pun.

1 Like

Anyway I’ll throw a vote for Boretendo just so we have a large enough frontrunner to get started.

If we do go with the Nintendo pun, we’d be able to do a pretty decent job of nintendo game and puns I think. Go with a Adventure Ninja game and call it Ninja Gaiden. Normal on the Microx SX

If anyone can make a pun out of that that’d be cool.

Update 2 - Boretendo rises.

: So, thank you for hiring me. When boring studios went under I was worried.

: No worries!

: I’m glad to be working for… uh, what did you decide to call your studio?

: Boretendo.

: Oh, wonderful! (Better keep that resume up to date…)

: Anyway, here is our staff:

Gilly Bates

S. Presso

Callie Fornia

Amy Less

: We are currently lacking a Graphics Artist, but we will build on that as we expand.

: It’s wonderful to meet all of you. Oh, this arrived as well.

Game Guy Magazine

Competition in the game industry continues to heat up as newcomer Boretendo enters the market. We look forward to seeing what they have in store for us. It will need to be impressive to make an impact in this crowded market.

: Hah, I’ll show them. Team, it’s time to make a game!

Hi, this is DarkSysL, since Educational and Trivia are both Genre types, I can’t stack them. I have substituted historical instead. If this is an issue, please let me know.

Carmen Sandiego

Stage 1: Writing - Amy Less!

Stage 2: Graphics - Outsourced!

Stage 3: Sound - Callie Fornia!

Stage 4: Debugging!

Stage 5: Publishing!

Box Art:

Carman Sandiego is the history of cars in Sandiego. Join us in this all ages educational game, learn about the combustion engine.

: Uh, boss?

: It’s fine! Not everybody listens to the critics. Let’s see how our first game sells!

: Well, we have fans now at least. I guess there is a market for 25-40 year old woman and 13-18 year old men to like car facts??

One week later

: So, how’d we do on sales?

: Carmen Sandiego’s first week of sales was 15,596 units. We ranked… off the charts.

: That’s grea–

: As in we did not make it on the charts.

: Oh. We’ll just have to try harder next game!

: It seems a magazine wrote about us.

: Our first game sold 45, 316 units. That’s not bad for our first time out.

: Time to strike while it’s hot!

Upcoming Games!

Submit your Games
Game Name(14 Characters or Less)

Game Genre (Choose one)
Table
Adventure
Trivia
Puzzle
Educational

Game Type (Choose One)
Pirate
Animal
Robot
Historical
Ninja
Reversi
Golf
Marathon

Direction (Leave out for normal)
Normal (Cost: 0)
Speed (Cost: 20) Low Quality Game / Faster to Make
Quality (Cost: 30) High Quality Game / Slower to Make
Research (Cost: 30) More Research data to upgrade staff.
Budget+ (Cost: 100) Speed & Quality with no Downsides.

Points to spend on Style (12)
Cuteness
Realish
Approachability
Niche Appeal
Simplicity
Innocation
Game World
Polish

Game System
PC
Microx SX

If you see any way I can improve, please let me know!

Next time: More games and training our staff!

Europa Galactica: A galaxy-sized strategy game that tells the story of space empires. In space. They also have a lot of expansion packs, one of which adds the Andromeda Galaxy.

Having seen the box art for Carmen Sandiego, I would like to change my title from Ninja Gaiden, to specifically, Ninja Guy Den.

3 Likes