I Didn't Get To Choose My Friends - Pokemon Platinum Random Team Run

UPDATE 05: OFF TO A ROCKY START.
BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD BATTLE.
THIS DOESN’T GO WELL.

071 072

Welcome back! There’s no escaping Oreburgh city to the north. Our destiny lies to the gym. But first, we train!

Also do you have to pronounce the h in Oreburgh? Just stick a real phlegmy CHHH onto the end of the name?

075 077

STAB moves start rolling in for our team, and- Wait, Psybeam?

Thundershock and Water Gun both have 40 power. Psybeam has 65. Dogu don’t just jump up the tech tree like that.

Howdy, Requisite Gym Advice NPC!

080 081
082 083

Well I can hit… one of those weaknesses.

I, Future SpammyV, writing this update, know that it won’t be easy.

086 087
088 089

Honestly though even if you took Chimchar, there are enough Pokemon to hit Roark’s weaknesses you can catch before this. Machops, Budews, the like. I won’t way it’ll all be easy but it’s doable.

I notice all these things Gamefreak does to make the Gyms surmountable when I can’t use them.

How many first Gyms let you just bypass all the Trainers? I mean, you won’t, because you want experience, but they let you. Is it all of them?

And Roark awaits us on the highest pedestal in the Gym.

101 102

He says that like there’s a bunch of First Gyms that are Rock-type.

104 105

As they both reached for their first Pokeballs, Spamigo paused. He broke the tension with the question first and foremost on his mind: “Does… Does anyone call you Roark the Rock?”

Roark froze, stalling for time by brushing an invisble fleck of dust off of the Pokeball. “Well it’s on my business cards.”

106 107

Starting with Dogu here figuring that none of his stuff will have good Special Defense because Rock-Types never do.

109 110

This Geodude didn’t… but it got the Stealth Rock off.

112 113

At least before Generation VIII, Cranidos still had the highest base Attack of unevolved Pokemon. It evolves into the thing with the highest base Attack you can get without transforming or being a Legendary.

Dogu is basically a pot that sat around in some ancient ruins until it could levitate things with its mind.

114 116

We… we can patch you up, buddy.

Stealth Rock doesn’t do too much to Reina, because its damage is based on the type chart, but you see the trap by now.

118 119

If you don’t resist Rock, Stealth Rock just might deal enough that the Cranidos one-shots whoever you sent out.

Also it’s highly probably Roark uses a Potion here but I don’t have a lot of good options left… and Reina could crit.

121 122

…She didn’t.

124 125

But if I have ONE Pokemon on my team at all who can take a Physical hit, it’s going to be Castellia!

Also note how much more Stealth Rock took out of her.

126 127

I still don’t know where her biting mouthparts are but they did enough.

Well that’s not as ludicrous as Selfdestruct. But anyway, Cranidos was a nightmare but now that we’ve beaten Roark-

129 130

OH HELL HE HAS AN ONIX TOO!?

Stop panicking. STOP PANICKING! Let’s just think. Mina… could only use Tackle here. Anomalo… only has Scratch.

Sid…

SID FINALLY LEARNED A GOOD MOVE WHILE WE WERE GRINDING BEFORE! WE HAVE A CHANCE!

132 133
134 135

YES!

136 137

TAKE YOUR STAT MONSTER BACK TO THE CRETACEOUS!

138 139

You may be many adjectives but I would not use weak among them.

Incidentally I think I picked up all the flakes from Castellia’s pinecone, you didn’t see any others go flying off did you?

141 142
143 144
badges

Now that we have the Coal Badge we can use Rock Smash.

147 149

How fitting.

I’m never going to use this.

151 152

Oh… Joy.

NEXT TIME: ROWAN GETS VICIOUS AND DAWN GETS DISAPPOINTED!

UPDATE 06: A Bunch of Uniformed Mooks Doesn’t Mean Anything

We begin with a Barry impact.

005 006
007 008

It’s funny how all these plot events seem timed so that Barry passes by them before we arrive.

010 011
012 013

There’s Brick Break in the cave, but it requires Rock Smash AND a bike or Surf to get. So, it’s not gettable at this time.

Spamigo and Looker made eye contact, and Spamigo felt the instant pang of regret shoot down his spine. He took a half-step back, but it was too late now. He couldn’t pretend to have not seen Looker now, the foreigner was already rushing over.

015 016

I have no need for any wi-fi features that may or may not work. Not bothering.

017 018
019 020

Well, if Looker says that it’s safe, then it must be safe.

022 023
024 025

Wait, people threatening Rowan? BUT LOOKER SAID THE CITY WAS SAFE!

026 027

Rowan’s not going to pay attention to weirdoes with cyan hair.

028 029

Aww, shucks.

031 032
034 035

it’s time

036 037
038 039
040 041

Seems like these grunts should just crumple up like a stepped-on aluminum can after that barrage of insults.

043 044

I imagine the most nasally sound possible for that “Eeeeeh!”

046 047
049 050

“Oh…” Dawn said after she glanced down at Anomalo. The disappointment wasn’t evident except for a slight furrowing of her brow, but her tone conveyed it plenty.

Spamigo sounded as clueless as he felt. “What? Anomalo’s been sort of on the bench lately I thought he needed some exercise.”

“I just thought it’d be special if we were both using our fir- You know what, nevermind.”

“What?”

" Nevermind ."

I love Fake Out. My Hariyama in my Emerald run wound up keeping Fake Out for the entire game because he had the stats to make it hurt beyond what the 40 power would imply. On a Glameow it’s not nearly as much of an issue.

052 055

Dawn’s Chimchar take the brunt of the aggro while Anomalo uses his wittle claws to get some damage in.

056 057

A lucky Burn takes out the Glameow.

059 060

And the Stunky doesn’t last long on its own after that.

061 064
065 066

He keeps saying benevolent but I keep hearing it in the voice of the alien bad guy from that one terrible Doctor Who episode that looks like a low-rent Jabba the Hutt with fake feathers glued to him and an extremely coarse bad-guy deep voice trying to talk about his “benevolence” like it’s a codeword for blowing up a planet.

You heard me.

066 067
068 069

Rowan harrumphed, “I’m a scientist, not a wizard! I’ll not sully my doctrine with this mystical mumbo-jumbo.”

070 071

Doesn’t Pokemon evolution take like 30 seconds? How would you even harness that?

072 073

…I’m gonna need to see a citation on that stat.

075 076

Dawn clenched her hand into a fist and shot a narrow glare over her shoulder in the direction those two Grunts had run off. Rowan had to hurriedly break the tension before she stormed off on her own.

078 079
080 081
082 083
084 085
086 087

Rowan’s extremely chill. “Hey, here’s a Pokemon to start your journey with. If you could fill this Pokedex for me, I’d appreciate it. But I mean you don’t have to if you don’t want to. I’m not the boss of you. See ya.”

It’s either that or he’s trying to guilt-trip the player into completing the Pokedex.

Route 204: The one with the cave. Not that cave, the other cave. No, not that one either.

I went down the main path, leaving that item tempting me. It could be anything! Is the detour worth it?

No.

109 110

No… you won’t.

112 113

Although Spamigo had always tried to be honest, he could suddenly see that being too honest in this case would simply crush poor Tyler even further. And he couldn’t bring himself to be so cruel.

122 123

Spamgio paused and noticed that in training, Bidoof teeth could sometimes inflict damage on Anomalo’s mineralized exoskeleton. And if they could do that much against a mineralized exoskeleton, surely they could do more against minerals!

So say hello to Scarfy, our Designated Rock Smash Haver.

127 128

I choose to imagine she’s just wedging her front teeth in there and ratcheting up the pressure until the rock splits.

Rock Tomb’s got 50 power, 80% accuracy, and a 100% chance to lower the target’s Speed by one stage on hit. It’s not a great move, but here’s what hadn’t sunk in when I took this screenshot: Anomalo’s level-up movelist is DIRE. As in, the only Physical Rock move he gets is the Rock-Type Doubleslap. AT LEVEL 49.

As soon as I realize how he’s not going to get a Rock move I windmill slam the TM into his forehead or have him copy that floppy or serve up a crispy TM with a choice of dipping sauce (ranch, bleu cheese, honey mustard, cream gravy, or the house sauce that’s always just a thickened thousand island dressing) or however you teach TMs.

131 132

Buddy this trip’ll be hard enough even with a diverse team.

It’s almost insulting how small the cave seems from this angle.

144 145

Look, I believe in Anomalo and Castellia.

It’s just gonna take a lot of levels and TMs.

158 159

Somehow, maybe through localized air currents, the scent of flowers only hits you in the face like a fluffy down pillow after you pass under the big arch.

167 168

I can’t figure out what this town’s theme is.

It’s subtle.

163 164

Surely nothing we will never be involved with.

198 199
200 201

I’ve got Bulk and Skull’s theme playing in my head while I read these lines. Heck, I might as well put on the ten hour version of their theme whenever I’m dealing with Galactic Grunts.

Walking away from the Galactic Grunts and letting them continue their villainy seemed to leave Wilhelmina annoyed, and not particularly listening to Spamigo’s excuses while she trotted beside him.

204 205
206 207
208 209

With all of that, Spamigo didn’t need to look to know that Wilhelmina was glaring at him now. With a sigh, he pulled his cap down a little tigther around his brow and said, “Alright. We’re getting involved.”

UPDATE 07: THE BATTLE OF THE WINDWORKS

The Team Galactic Commander known as Mars had one question: “How did you get in here?!”

At first Spamigo started to point in the direction of the door, only for Mars to bark “I got that part! That door was supposed to be locked!”

“Oh. Well about that…” Spamigo’s story began.

“First there was the little girl who wanted to see her dad again and guilt-tripped me into coming here.”

220 221

“And there was a guy guarding the door, too.”

224 225

“He was really annoying.”

228 229

“And he locked himself inside after I beat him fair and square, but…”

231 232

“He also just told me who had the other key, so. I didn’t need to search.”

Mars slowly turned a glare at that Grunt, who chuckled nervously and tried to back himself further into the corner.

236 240
241 242

“They were also right where he said they were, so I didn’t have to look around a bunch.”

244 255

“The first one wasn’t a challenge.”

257 258

“The other one was a real jerk who thought waiting after the other grunt was beaten was going to make his job easier.”

“That sounds like Dave,” Mars huffed. “Nobody likes Dave.”

“He stole my parking spot!” one of the beaten Grunts yelled out.

259 260

“Well… Dave wasn’t hard to beat either.”

264 265
266 267

“Also he dropped the key to the door, too.”

281 282

“So I unlocked the door…”

285 286
287 288

“Your guard ran off to warn you…”

293 300

“I beat the other Grunts who were guarding this place…”

“So…” Spamigo’s throat suddenly felt dry. He thought he had something prepared for this moment to sound tough and intimidating, but between the rambling story and Mars’ glare he couldn’t find the words, and just said, “You should get out. I mean, I beat all your grunts.”

“And?” That fact didn’t seem to daunt Mars in the slightest as she pulled a Pokeball from her belt. “Those were grunts, and you’re dealing with me, Mars, one of Team Galactic’s four Commanders. Let me show you just how far we are above the common Grunts, kid. Get ready to run out of here crying, brat!”

314 315

Now, you are perfectly free to go ahead and set in your mind as background music the Galactic Commander theme from this very game. However, if you would be interested in alternative offerings, might I suggest GET THEM from the Yakuza 0 soundtrack?

316 317

I thought I was going to… your Zubat still has some health bar left?

318 320

…Dogu please don’t let this be a pattern.

322 323

I’d like to image the Zubat tried to chomp down on Reina and only realized she wasn’t going down like a bag of pottery shards when her little snoot got shoved against its temple. Throw in some one-liner from her like “This may sting a bit.”

324 325

Purugly, of course, does not evolve until level 38. After reviewing the facts I have come to endorse the Fat Glameow Theory. Teach the controversy!

326 327

It’s fat enough to make Fake Out hurt.

328 330

Mina is down to FOUR HITPOINTS before she can even take an action. Her Static kicking in might be the most good she can do.

331 332

…It was the most good she can do. I switched to Anomalo here before Mina got knocked out.

337 338

Anomalo sees a LOT of lucky Paralysis rolls, but that Purugly’s still scratching him up good and it had an Oran berry to boost its health further. His exoskeleton just can’t stand up to all of that.

But since someone FINALLY decided to learn a STAB move, I have something that could be called an ace in the hole.

342 343
344 345

Two Bites and that cat finally goes down to take a nap.

…Mina might just keep this for the entire game.

347 348
349 350

An uppity brat with a dangerous snake.

Charon (the white-haired scientist guy) speaks up but man, screw Charon. His only contribution is to be a condescending jerk to Mars and, spoiler, you never battle Charon in this game. So you have to listen to this jerk going on about how brilliant he is and there’s no chance to beat him. Smug NPCs that you can’t put down are the worst. Looking at you, Miranda.

Stuff like this. Mars hates his guts and honestly I don’t blame her.

367 372

But we reunited this little girl with her dad and also Drifloon will start appearing again but I’m not catching one because I won’t be able to use it.

Even though Drifloon/Drifblim are way up there on the list of “Pokemon I’d Like To Use But Haven’t.”

374 373755
376 377

“Well, about that…”

378 379
380 381

Spamigo pondered just how far he could run before Looker came back outside. It wasn’t as though he was being investigated, right? But Looker came running back outside so the line of thought was moot.

383 384

385 386

He waved Looker away as the so-called InterPol agent went running off again. But his smile froze and turned hollow when he realized that Eterna was where the next Gym was too.

Since I missed my weekly update schedule, I would like to apologize. I’ve been swamped for long enough to run my backlog down. I have no intention of abandoning this thread. I just need to make more time to write. Thank you for reading and being patient.

Update 08: Walk On The Wooded Side

001 002

Welcome to scenic Eterna Forest! I always want to call it Eternia. I never even watched a He-Man in my life but I read it as Eternia for years.

003 004

In Eterna Forest is Cheryl, the first of the game’s NPC partners. You get a partner with a single Pokemon, all battles are double battles, your team gets fully healed after each battle because Cheryl has a Chansey, one of the designated nurse Pokemon.

007 008
009 010

Cheryl is afraid of Team Galactic, even though Zubats and Purrloins aren’t that much of a threat.

One thing that passed completely over my head until I was fact-checking myself was that time flowing funky in Eterna means that time-of-day evolutions don’t work.

It’s just a shame you probably won’t be coming back here for anything while you’re trying to evolve an Umbreon.

019 020

Anyway, it’s an Early Forest in a Pokemon Game. It’s full of Bugs, people talking about Bugs, people battling with Bugs, and random early Pokemon that seem forest-creature-y.

Here’s basically all you need to know about Cheryl’s Chansey:

014 015
016 017

One lone Buneary huddled and shivered, surrounded by craters. All the leaves had been blasted off a nearby bush, and there were missing chunks from the trees where stray Egg Bombs had hit. The Chansey screwed its face into an intense look of concentration as it readied another throw.

Spamigo just looked over to Cheryl. “You don’t say about that battling thing.”

Oh, also!

026 027

BEHOLD HER DEADLY

BIPEDAL WALKING

And that’s all you need to know about the forest.

046 047

I mean.

There weren’t any Team Galactic members in the forest.

Also I think Chansey could face-tank everything.

048 049
050 051

But we get a hold item out of it!

I don’t even remember what the Soothe Bell does.

055 056
057 058

Of course, now that we’re out of the forest there’s Galactic Grunts around. They just don’t like to pick random fights on city streets? Maybe Sinnoh’s got some Big Brother CCTV going on or something.

059 061

I dunno. I’m starting to think they might be evil? Maybe they just have very forceful personalities and stealing Pokemon and kidnapping people are just how things worked in their family growing up.

I’ve been working on a theory that-

080 081
082 083

Or Barry’s here and we’re roped into the plot.

085 086

Oh hey it’s that guy who’s not relevant to the plot in any way!

087 088
089 090
091 092

Weird how this game wants to make him a thing.

093 094
095 096

Please, I need all the help I can get with this team at this stage in the game.

097 098
099 100

And that’s exactly why I’m soon going to teach an 80% accurate TM to one of my Pokemon.

But I’ve also been thinking-

106 107
108 109

“Oh, it’s… It’s Spamigo.” Something about the blonde lady’s stare unnerved Spamigo. He had the feeling that no Galactic Grunts had ever tried to shake her down for her Pokemon.

She cocked her head a few degrees to the side. “Is there something wrong with your name?”

“No, just… It sounds like… Nevermind.”

112 113
115 116

She asks, even though this encounter happens when you’re walking away from the hill with the mysterious Pokemon statue (no spoilers about what it is please).

(it wasn’t on any box arts for previous games)

117 118

Even beneath her glare Spamigo couldn’t let out an internal scoff. Legendary Pokemon were legends, and if there was no Pokemon in the lake there was no weird spike monster with metal bits sticking out of it.

120 121

Look they were a little daring making the first HM not Cut. They’re not that daring. It’s second instead.

125 126

It wasn’t until she’d gone around the corner and Spamigo had finished with the polite waving that he realized he hadn’t mentioned Rowan at all. How many assistants had the professor had?

Any more interruptions? Bad guys in a Final Fantasy airship? Radio broadcasts? Wormholes? No? Alright.

063 064

…Well, I can’t figure out what they’re going for. Let’s ask this person in front of the doors!

065 066
067 068

“…Barry mentioned me?”

“I think so,” the Gym Leader nodded. “It was sort of hard to make out because he didn’t really leave spaces between his words, you know? I think he said something about his amigo following him. And your clay pot is cheating? I wasn’t clear on that.”

069 070
071 072

Wait.

We didn’t ask her what type she uses.

Update 09: I Learned How Every Rose Has Its Thorns When A Rosebush Tried To Mug Me

You know what we haven’t had in a while? TEAM UPDAAAAATE!

capture-127 capture-129
capture-130

Mina’s deadly bipedal walking (seriously wasn’t that one of the Eldora Soul lines in Super Robot Wars T or was I imagining things) gave her a boost to her stats. Thundershock is nice, but it’s an early game move. Can its utility last in these challenging conditions?

capture-131 capture-133
capture-134

Just as a note, Anomalo hasn’t evolved and still has more Attack than Mina has Special Attack. Also just as a note, his moves put that stat to no good use. Also Past Me took these screenshots and then gave him Rock Tomb. Remember: Rock Tomb is 50 power, 80% accuracy, 100% chance to lower the victim’s Speed.

capture-135 capture-137
capture-138

In these early stages, Castellia’s Attack has not been outstripped by everyone else’s yet. And the tendency for there to be a lot of Physical attacks in the early stages of a Pokemon game means she’s fairly resilient.

Also Selfdestruct is there as the emergency button.

capture-139 capture-141
capture-142

No, Reina does not really need Bubble and Water Gun. I didn’t make her move list! If I made move lists Anomalo wouldn’t only have Scratch still!

capture-143 capture-145
capture-146

Dogu gets Rock Tomb naturally, because nothing is fair in this world except the coin flip. Also he gets Psybeam, which tends to end a lot of battles. As long as he doesn’t take a hit and break again.

capture-147 capture-149
capture-150

With Bite and Poison Tail (Two STAB moves!) and 41 attack Sid has now become the Day Ruiner for anything giving the rest of the team trouble. As it turns out, I didn’t have to drag his Wrap-having tail through the game nearly as long as I did my Dratini in Emerald. Now he’s deadly at both ends!

Now we got something else to do. Namely:

capture-001 capture-002

This Gym.

capture-003 capture-004

Petition to make Champ-to-be the new dude in terms of being applied everywhere.

capture-005 capture-006
capture-007

My strategy revolves around not those types, but Grass’ other weaknesses.

capture-008 capture-009
capture-010 capture-012

The Gym is like a clock that doesn’t tell time (unless… the time it shows is the time of your appointment to beat the next Trainer). Beat a Trainer, the hands move. Sunrise, sunset, swiftly flow the beatings.

capture-061 capture-062
capture-063 capture-064
capture-065 capture-066

Let’s!

capture-067 capture-068
capture-101 capture-102

Gardenia’s team has a weird theme going on. Her Turtwig here has Sunny Day, but I’ve never seen it used. Sunny Day would boost Gardenia’s next Pokemon (a Cherrim. Spoilers), but it’s not THAT huge a boost. It’s like a Sunny Day team created by a kid who has only heard the words “Sunny Day team.”

capture-103 capture-104

If I were better at Pokemon games, I would be making a comment about how I cleverly attempt to trick the AI into wasting Potions on something besides the Leader’s ace.

I’m not so this is all dumb luck.

capture-106 capture-107

Regardless, this Turtwig just puts up a Reflect, gets healed, and never sets up Sunny Day.

capture-108 capture-109

Cherrim’s ability boosts its Attack and Special Defense in sunlight… but Gardenia’s just has Special attacks.

WAIT HOW IS GRASS KNOT SPECIAL IT’S LITERALLY USING A ROOT TO TRIP THE OPPONENT

capture-110 capture-112
capture-113 capture-114

It can only mostly bring Sid down… and it still doesn’t matter.

capture-115 capture-116

I mean, he’s been getting all these good Physical attacks, so…

capture-117

Turns out it doesn’t really matter what the Turtwig and Cherrim get up to. Tuxedo Mask here is THAT much of an issue.

capture-118 capture-119

Yeah, it’s not playing with its attacks.

But they say, when all you have is a weirdly shaped hammer, you learn to make its quirks work for you.

capture-121 capture-122

Anything to even the playing field. If I’d been thinking more I would’ve tagged Mina in just to Thunder Wave it, but I was fixated on Grass resisting Electric and her being not useful.

capture-123 capture-125

The Speed drop even lets Anomalo get two hits in and crosses over the Berry Threshold.

capture-126 capture-127

But, uh. You already saw it did 40 damage in one NORMAL effective hit.

capture-128 capture-129
capture-130 capture-131

And Dogu can’t one-shot it.

capture-133 capture-134
capture-135 capture-136

And Castellia can’t finish it off from that point.

At this point I know that Gardenia has a second Potion (because this is actually take… three or four. This Roserade has been a brick wall). In the red means it’ll probably get used.

Of course, if it doesn’t, Roserade 100% takes out Castellia.

But if it does…

capture-137

The Roserade leaped back into the fray, ready to strike, but was instead puzzled as Castellia rolled over beside it and closed down all the flakes on her pinecone. And why did each one have “FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY” written on them?

capture-138 capture-139
capture-140

Thanks, Castellia.

capture-141 capture-143
capture-144 capture-145
capture-146 capture-147

badges

Forest Badge lets us use Cut. And by us, I mean Scarfy.

capture-150 capture-152
capture-153 capture-154

Rock/Ground types tend to be weighty so Grass Knot can be disproportionately powerful. I mean, I don’t think anyone on this team can learn it. But, y’know, in theory.

capture-155 capture-156
capture-157

It’s nice that Gardenia’s so encouraging even after losing.

capture-158 capture-159
capture-160 capture-161

BUT YOU SOUND SARCASTIC, ADVICE GUY.

UPDATE 10: KICK DOWN THE DOOR!

Spamigo would have just left the city after getting the badge. It would’ve been simple just to put one foot in front of the other and walk on our, but there was something looming over the town. Something spiky. Something ominous.

capture-002

Something obviously evil.

capture-001

So Scarfy gets another tool for her belt!

capture-004

OH WELL NEVERMIND WRONG ADDRESS HAHAHAHAHA

capture-005 capture-006
capture-007 capture-008

Since Looker didn’t seem to care, Spamigo cast an aside glance at the receptionist, who thankfully was far too absorbed in a celebrity gossip magazine to notice another Galactic Grunt whipping off their disguise to loudly reveal themselves as an InterPol agent.

capture-009 capture-010
capture-011 capture-012

“No!” Spamigo replied with sarcasm that was completely missed.

Looker nodded. “Indeed. They are… what is idiom? A few Pokemon short of a full team? A half-empty Potion? A Bicycle wth one wheel? An-”

“Yeah I got it the first time actually.”

capture-014 capture-015
capture-016

Mysterious. Perhaps if we’d found their boss we’d know what Team Galactic’s goals are!

capture-021 capture-022
capture-023

Hmm… suspicious.

Anyway. You go up the stairs. Sometimes there’s Trainers at the bottom. Sometimes there’s Trainers at the top. Almost all of them are bog-standard Galactic Grunts, except for…

capture-056

This guy. This guy I’m always going to remember.

capture-057 capture-058
capture-059

Scientist Trevon.

Years upon years ago, right after I’d first heard about the Nuzlocke challenge and binged through the Nuzlocke archives, I dug up my favorite DS Pokemon game (Platinum) and popped it in and started playing. It wasn’t so bad! I even ended up getting a Shinx and a Ponyta, which were mainstays of my team pretty much all through my first Diamond run.

capture-061

And then I get here. A Kadabra that gets fed an X Special. Most of my attacks were Special. I didn’t have anything faster. I wore it down for nothing. My A-lister team got wiped right here and I haven’t had the spirit to do a full Nuzlocke since.

capture-062 capture-063
capture-064 capture-065

Almost seems ridiculous now, doesn’t it?

capture-067 capture-068
capture-069

I’m sure it is, buddy.

Oh right, the plot.

capture-073 capture-074

How can they be evil when they have signs like this around?

capture-075 capture-076

The older man just shook his head. “Our poor region. We were all known for our Zubats and Glameows until Galactic came along and stole them!”

capture-078 capture-079
capture-080

“Like I already dealt with Mars?”

“Mars?” Jupiter laid the scoff on extra thick for maximum derision. “Mars is a brat that’s barely above being a Grunt. You’ll see what makes a Commander now!”

capture-081 capture-082

For some reason I always underestimate what moves a Zubat’s going to know.

capture-084 capture-085
capture-086 capture-087

“That’s not a Bite. This is a Bite.”

capture-090

Want to see something stupid?

capture-091 capture-092

I don’t look things up while I’m playing, so I forgot Skuntank was Poison/Dark and would’ve been immune anyway.

Skuntank, of course, does not evolve until level 38. After reviewing the facts I have come to endorse the Fat Stunky Theory. Teach the controversy!

capture-094 capture-095

Didn’t apply your debuff in time you walking fart joke!

capture-096 capture-099

capture-100 capture-101

I’m just going to say that sometimes it doesn’t feel like Paralysis only has a 25% chance of eating a turn.

Also this thing is annoyingly tanky.

capture-106

It finally batters Mina down.

capture-107 capture-108
capture-109 capture-110

GRIND ITS SPEED INTO DIRT! I WANT SLOWPOKES TO BE ABLE TO BEAT IT ON THE TRACK!

capture-111 capture-112

He’s totally allowed to learn that!

Level 19 and still doesn’t know a Bug move, just wanted to point that out.

capture-113 capture-115
capture-116 capture-117

“How long does it take to look at a statue?”

“IT TOOK TWO WEEKS JUST TO HIRE A GRUNT THAT COULD READ!”

capture-119 capture-120
capture-121 capture-122

There was something that ticked familiarly in the back of Spamigo’s mind about looking into the ancient Pokemon but no memories surfaced.

capture-123 capture-124
capture-125 capture-126

This guy here is the Bicycle Shop owner. You can probably guess where this is going!

capture-130 capture-131

But before we can get into RAD RICKSHAW’s shop, we get interrupted again because Eterna’s main export is interruptions.

capture-133 capture-134

Getting something in advance set off alarm bells in Spamigo’s mind now that some complicated favor would be incoming. “I… like the team I have now.”

capture-140 capture-141

“Listen to me, kid. Take. The. Egg.”

capture-142 capture-143

“I’ll take the Egg?”

capture-144 capture-145
capture-146 capture-147

“So… What’s in the Egg?”

“You’ll see. It’s useful though, I’ll tell you that much.”

capture-148 capture-149

(this thing is going straight in the box)

(I DIDN’T RNG ROLL AN EGG)

capture-150 capture-151

ANYway, it’s Bicycle in a Pokemon game time! Bind that thing to the quick item button and start rolling around at the speed of sound!

capture-154 capture-155

I wish this did work on an emulator. I mostly liked the Underground. Mostly having an infinite source of Shards and Heart Scales behind a light minigame.

NEXT TIME: WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE’S NOT CUTE?!

UPDATE 11: I Hate This Park And Everyone In It

capture-001

So that’s like… four squares from Oreburgh? Not that much of a walk.

capture-006 capture-007

I think you need to find safer ways to de-energize your Geodude.

capture-035

I wonder how chilly it gets in Mt. Coronet. I mean Sinnoh is cold (see update 01) and the cave’s got a blue tint over it and blue means cold (see the freezer section) so…

capture-036

The blue-haired man stared above them at the ceiling of the cave. His gaze was distant, as though it could pierce the solid rock and see to the peak of Mt. Coronet from where they stood. “In a newly created world… A world where only time flowed and space expanded… There should have been no strife.”

He shook his head and turned his gaze away from the heavens and down towards the dirt. “But what became of that world? Because the human spirit is weak and incomplete, strife has spread… The world is being ruined by it… I find this state of affairs to be deplorable…”

He finally seemed to notice the presence of a kid on a bicycle awkwardly torn between excusing himself and somehow making a polite interjection. Luckily the blue-haired man uttered a brusque “Excuse me” and stormed off, leaving Spamigo feeling the chill of the cave a bit more acutely.

capture-045

It was a relief to get back to the sun again.

capture-051 capture-052

So is this like a rabbit food vegetarian bashing thing or do people just not eat Berries in the Pokemon world? I’m confused. Berries look good.

capture-078 capture-079

As we enter Hearthome we’re rushed by a deadly Buneary!

capture-080 capture-081

Or just the adorable kind of Buneary.

capture-082 capture-083
capture-084

“You can’t do it now?”

“Judge regulations.”

capture-087 capture-088

Something about that name brings a faint hint of familiarity to the back of Spamigo’s mind.

capture-091 capture-092

(there’s nothing else to this I just wanted to reference Shin Mazinger (it’s a good anime))

capture-132

Advice Guy tells us that the Gym Leader is at the Contest Hall too.

Do you have to catch that Buneary to fight the Gym Leader?

Did Barry catch the Buneary? Actually he probably could keep pace with a rabbit as long as it was in a straight line.

capture-144 capture-145

Bebe here runs the Pokemon Storage system in Sinnoh. She wants to give you an Eevee, but I didn’t RNG roll an Eevee at the start of this.

capture-156

Is the Buneary the Gym Leader?

capture-157 capture-158
capture-159 capture-160

Mom’s first name isn’t Mom?

Anyway Keira and Mom talk about Contests and she gives you some accessory before leaving.

capture-174 capture-175
capture-176

Mom meanwhile has been busy driving her opponents to tears on the Contest circuit and gives you fancy clothes to wear if you do a Contest.

I’m not doing Contests .

capture-181

If that ain’t the most mom line possible.

capture-184

Oh wait is that an NPC with a unique sprite over there?

capture-185 capture-186
capture-187 capture-188

“Actually… I’m not planning on doing any Contests.”

“Oh thank heaven. You are for to the Gym Challenge then?”

“…Yes?”

capture-189 capture-190
capture-191

I’d like to imagine Fantina’s got a real developed stage voice and can easily project to the back of the theater. So Spamigo’s been deafened and everyone else has heard every word of this conversation.

capture-130 capture-131

Aww, Mina. I hear there’s a nice park in Hearthome.

capture-150 capture-151
capture-152 capture-153
capture-154 capture-155

…Mina’s not cute?

LOOK ME IN THE EYES AND TELL ME THAT WILHELMINA IS NOT CUTE.

NEXT TIME: Spamigo Gets Ghosted

UPDATE 12: SPAMIGO GETS GHOSTED

capture-001

Hearthome Gym! It’s supposed to be pitch black and you can only see what’s illuminated by your flashlight but… that didn’t want to work in DeSmuME.

So I get to just run straight through.

capture-002

Kinda claustrophobic for a Gym Leader room, isn’t it? Comparatively speaking, I mean.

capture-003 capture-004

Fantina does a twirl before she laughs at double text size volume.

capture-005 capture-006
capture-007 capture-008

Her dress is based on Drifblim and I think Drifblim is cool so I think the dress c’est une good.

capture-009 capture-010
capture-011 capture-012

Non?

capture-013 capture-014

See it’s got the little plus and everything.

capture-041 capture-042

Reina uses Focus Energy to boost her crit chance, while Duskull sets up Future Sight.

capture-043 capture-044

…Okay? She wasn’t using her Attack anyway!

capture-048 capture-049
capture-050

Reina’s taking a lot of punishment but she just pushed the Duskull below the Potion Threshold, and…

capture-051 capture-052

A timely crit basically undoes that Super Potion! But she is at 10 HP.

capture-053

Which isn’t a lot of HP if you’re a Horsea.

capture-054 capture-055

Anomalo tags in and takes out the Duskull.

Which saddens me a bit because as a mecha nerd I’ve always been tickled by Duskull’s Zeon monoeye thing it has going on. If I ever trained a Duskull I’d name it Zaku I. Then Zaku II when it evolves. Dusknoir can be Psycho Zaku.

capture-057 capture-058

I love it when free status effects hit my opponent.

capture-059 capture-060
capture-061 capture-062

I believe some Paralysis rolls helped, but Mina’s also just trading blows pretty well here.

capture-065 capture-066

Even through the Super Potion she comes out on top.

capture-067 capture-068

And now I’m VERY glad that I got Fantina to burn her Super Potions on not this Mismagius. It’s going to be a challenge to-

capture-069 capture-070

Oh look Quick Claw activated. Getting the speed advantage on this witch will make things easier.

capture-072 capture-073

That was still predictable though. You did a good job, Mina.

capture-076 capture-079

ANOMALO! GRIND THAT SPEED STAT INTO THE DUST! THE DUST!

capture-084

you’d think that since i look up gym leader teams before the battle (but not during) i’d remember which mons have berries and have Castellia use Bug Bite

you’d be wrong but you could think that all the same

capture-086 capture-087

You hit more than enough, Anomalo. I’m sure that in a different RPG system, we’d be taking two turns to each of the Mismagius’ one.

capture-088 capture-089
capture-090

Anyway, since this thing likes its Psybeam so much, we’ll give it a taste of the ol’ Poison/D-

capture-091 capture-092

wat

IS THE EMULATOR BUGGING OUT NOW?!

capture-093 capture-094

hurry hurry move past it before it realize it broke the type chart

capture-095 capture-096

I’m glad I don’t have to clean up the piles of rubble.

capture-097 capture-098
capture-099 capture-100

Badges

capture-102 capture-103
capture-105 capture-106

Sadly Anomalo’s claws are not shadowy enough to make use of this move. You might call that a flaw but I’ve always thought his tangibility was a beautiful thing.

capture-107 capture-108
capture-109 capture-110

Thanks Fantina.

I’m still a little jealous of how many cool Ghost Pokemon are on your teams.

capture-111 capture-112
capture-113 capture-114

I SPECIFICALLY DO NOT THANK YOU, ADVICE GUY.

UPDATE 13: Class Aves Is My Nemesis

Leaving Hearthome, we run into…

A note of mercy is that you can just turn around right here and not start the battle. Apparently between developing Platinum and White/Black GameFreak decided that letting the player know a rival battle was coming was “for suckers.”

I think right around when I originally took these screenshots was when Pokemon Masters was released and everyone was sharing that dialog box about how you shouldn’t bully people into battling with you.

This dang bird and it’s Double Team.

It leads with Double Team to boost evasion. If you don’t hit it, I’m quite sure it’ll keep going until it’s maximally evasive. Did you hit it without knocking it out? You just turned on Endeavor, which’ll set your HP to match its HP. It’s also fast so while it’s dodging everything it’s probably also going first, and just in case it ever had to worry about that it also has Quick Attack.

I’ll be quite honest there were several attempts that couldn’t reasonably get past this bird. I got one hit in, but then no others and was left facing a Staravia with 14 HP and max evasion. If I don’t win here early against the bird then I could very easily just be swept by it.

In every random team run it always comes back to the birds.

One of the flaws that makes me an interesting and complex character is that even when the RNG is influenced, mentally I see these failures as do to the RNG rather than my strategy. “It would’ve worked, I just rolled bad,” is my thinking. So I kept using Wilhelmina at the start.

Why, then, did I never try to use Thunder Wave even after exposing Paralysis as one of my favorite things to do?

No I was actually asking, I don’t have an answer.

See? Had Mina not connected for the second hit she would’ve taken a Wing Attack and been out. Endeavor bypasses defenses and resistances, so no one would’ve been safe.

This Buziel has learned to float like a Butterfree (metaphorically, it doesn’t have Levitate) and get in with the quick blows.

It does not know how to sting like a Beedrill (metaphorically, Buziel doesn’t have a stinger).

Nnnnnnnnnnnah.

Next, we see Barry’s turtle in its natural habitat.

Raising its physical defense.

This took me by surprise a bit when I was playing, but…

Yeah I’d swap out too if I was never going to damage a high-Defense Bug type.

I just have better options if we’re playing this game at this stage.

Bar-

Barry are you trying?

Now I almost feel bad.

And so the circle is closed, we have returned to where we begun.

Except now that Grotle doesn’t have a boosted Defense.

I have no idea where her biting mouthparts are, but she does, and that’s all that matters.

If it’s any consolation this was my third or fourth try.

“Man Spamigo you’ve really gotten better in a hurry huh?”

“…Well I-”

“I mean it felt like it was like just the other day all you did was keep trying to tackle and I thought you were going to cry when you lost!” Barry spoke a mile a minute, trampling over Spamigo’s growing frustration.

I WASN-”

As the door swung closed behind the rapidly departing Barry, Spamigo looked exasperatedly at the wobbly but standing Wilhelmina, eyebrows furrowed. “I wasn’t going to cry, was I?”

So question now:
How did Barry beat Fantina? Did the bird get lucky? I don’t think he got there with Ember, Water Gun, and Razor Leaf.

UPDATE 14: SUPER PUNCH OUT!

So some things happened before getting to Maylene!

And if I built this Forretress
Around your heart (WOAH-OH)
Encircled you in entrance haz-ards (WOAH-OH)
Then let me tank it all
For I cannot clear the Stealth Rocks (WOAH-OH)
And let me dodge the 4x Flamethrowers

Forretress has nine resistances, one immunity, and only one weakness! And a base Defense of 140! Sure I especially need to keep her away from Special Fire-type attacks but other than that I’m not sure what’s going to hurt her. Bug/Steel cover each others bases pretty well, it turns out.

Sure. She’s more a Physical attacker, but it’s still a STAB move.

Once, she relied on her extremely staticky wool to generate the electricity for her attacks. She could not use the power herself, except to build it up externally and channel the creation from without.

Now the power comes from within her.

Sure? I don’t know why Ampharos gets Thunderpunch and Firepunch considering it’s decidedly more a Special attacker, but I can hit Physical and Special Defense now?

Spamigo wasn’t sure how to make this question less awkward: “Dawn were… you just waiting here the whole time?”

“No. No, no. I’ve been working on the Pokedex,” she said with some emphasis, “I ran into Barry- Well, more like he ran into me on his way out of town, but I was just stopping here to check out the department store. I really wanted to get to the department store and check the bookstore for the next book in this really sweet series that I’m reading.”

“…Oh? What’s it about?”

“It’s really romantic, about this girl who’s going to be a Pokemon researcher and she meets a boy doing the Gym Challenges and I nearly cried reading the part where their paths separate because he doesn’t know how important she really is to him.” She let out a sigh and shook her head slightly. "It’d be nice to have something that romantic happen.” Her voice dropped like she was talking to herself, but not far enough that he couldn’t hear.

This was one of those points where Spamigo really had no idea how to respond except with, “Uh… I hope it does.”

It was hard to tell with her bangs partially hiding her gaze, but her eye might have twitched a bit. “Thanks, but that’s okay. I’m starting to learn not to get my hopes up.”

Presented without comment:

Crasher Wake is my favorite Gym Leader in this game. Yeah Fantina has all the cool Ghost-types but she’s not a triple-threat.

Anyway, Maylene!

I hate this Gym. The puzzle is pushing punching bags around but it locks you in place while the camera follows the bag slooooooowly trundling down the rack. And there was enough time between my clearing the Gym for levels and facing Maylene that I forgot the solution.

At any rate, I’d been thinking some and realized that I only ever show the successful battles in these things. I’d resolved to try to show how many attempts can go into one of these… But then I cleared the Gym on my first try. I guess it just goes to show that sometimes when you finally face your problems, you find out they’re not as big as you thought.

Ah, a Medicham after my own heart.

Now, you might say, “Spammy, I remember when you posted the team approximately one Middle-Earth age ago. Surely your Psychic-type Claydol can sweep this Gym.”

“Very observant,” I might reply, “But Maylene’s Gym is actually well protected against all but the speediest Psychic types.”

Now, this Meditite can’t really do effective damage to Dogu. But Dogu’s Psybeams only hit for neutral damage thanks to Medicham’s Psychic-type…

So this is not really an easily won encounter.

Her Machoke is faster than Dogu, which is especially bad because Dogu does not possess a great deal of Physical Defense. How does Dogu get out of this one?

Sheer dumb luck.

Ha ha ha no, you’re not beating a Lucario.

I finally remember that I love Thunder Wave and use it.

Now, Lucario does take neutral damage from Psychic type attacks. At the time I did this Gym I assumed Steel was immune to Psychic because I always assume that Steel is immune to Psychic because… The Juggernaut and Magneto’s helmets protect them from telepaths.

You heard me.

Lucario also gets Bone Rush, one of Marowak’s Ground-type signature moves, for reasons I didn’t understand in 2007 and don’t understand any better now. I’m guessing the AI never uses it because it’s only looking at one hit and not the average effective power.

Maylene I’m not sure I know what it means to be strong either but using your supereffective attacks seems like a good thing to include.

Getting lucky on Paralysis rolls so far!

…Fine.

Slightly less of one now!

I did not switch out Wilhelmina here. I should have done so, it hadn’t been but a minute since I saw that her Lucario would outspeed Mina all things being equal.

At least it couldn’t recover a lot of HP off of Drain Punch.

Reina closes it out.

badges

“What?” Spamigo thought, “Am I just going to trip over a Fly HM in a warehouse somewhere?”

60 power, 100 accuracy, physical Fighting type attack. No one on this team can learn it. I’d love to give it to Anomalo, but he doesn’t have fists!

Maylene’s Gym is inspirational.

[

“Dawn… were you-”

"NO."

NEXT TIME: LEGITIMATE COIN ACQUISITION!

…In two weeks. I shall be going on a week-and-a-half vacation and won’t be updating the LP on the road, I’m afraid. I’ll see you all then!

For the game that I love so much… for the completion of this thread! LP.ZONE! I HAVE RETURNED!

UPDATE 15: The Calm Before the PPV

capture-001

“I’m warning you! If you don’t give me that Pokedex back you and your stupid hair are going-” There was a tone that Spamigo hadn’t heard from Dawn before. The two Galactic Grunts were standing noticeably out of arm’s reach and doing their best not to glance nervously at one another. One of them was a bit too obvious about looking at Spamigo as he walked closer, cluing in Dawn to turn around before she got too deep into the threats.

capture-002 capture-003
capture-004 capture-005
capture-006

“Just the two of them?”

“There were more.”

capture-007 capture-008
capture-009 capture-010
capture-011

Man I can’t spice this up any. They’re Galactic Grunts. I love Galactic Grunts, the competition between Galactic Grunts and Skull Grunts comes down to which game I played most recently, but it’s not like they’re a threat.

Highlights include:

capture-015 capture-016

Gravity Manipulation!

capture-029

Power Trick swaps the user’s Attack and Defense stats. Dogu does have more Defense than Attack, but it’s not so extreme I want to swap them.

Now if Castellia could learn Power Trick she could become an incredibly slow glass cannon!

Wait that doesn’t sound good either.

Spoilers: This battle doesn’t last long and the only reason I ever had to switch out Dogu is they sent out something immune to Psybeam.

capture-051 capture-053

And right on schedule…

capture-062 capture-065
capture-066 capture-067

Dawn groaned and dug her forehead into her palm, shaking her head a few times. “Sorry, sorry. It’s just been a stressful day. Blurted that out without thinking. I’m just gonna go now… Good luck, Spamigo.”

capture-071
capture-072 capture-073
capture-074 capture-075

Looker turned away, stroked his chin, and furrowed his brow. “The greater mystery it is perhaps why the Policia Internacional would send I, the Looker, known for expertise of interdimensional incidents, to investigate miniscule misdemeanors.”

“Wait what?”

Looker swiveled his gaze to glare at Spamigo while barely moving his head. " You heard nothing. "

capture-078

Again, Spamigo considered whether he could get enough distance before Looker turned around to not have to deal with the strange man further, but ultimately decided against it.

capture-082 capture-083
capture-084 capture-085

And someone did just shove a Fly TM into Spamigo’s hands.

capture-087 capture-088
capture-089 capture-090

What was it that was making it so that Team Galactic kept moving their operations to the next town Spamigo was going to?

So unrelated to that, at approximately this time Spamigo used an AR code got an email from an Unovan prince who needed 200 Pokebux to access his large store of Game Corner coins (all the Game Corners belong to the same worldwide network and use interchangable coins) and would send a large supply to Spamigo in payment and this time it wasn’t a scam!

capture-091 capture-092

Now we’re playing with power!

capture-095

The Wide Lens is +10% base accuracy to all moves. Rock Tomb goes from 80% to 88% and Metal Claw goes from 95% to 100% (Technically 104.5%). He’s not putting the lens down for a while.

capture-096

Birdon joins the team as Designated Fly Haver and cripes. Defog will save me some time down the road but look at this! The That Bird moveset is practically Staravia’s default level up moves.

I’m starting to realize that between Starly, Shinx, and Ponyta you can be pretty set for your lategame team before you face the first Gym.

capture-097 capture-098

Oh no. He’s learning.

capture-099 capture-100

So uh… This battle is actually extremely underwhelming.

While all his Pokemon have gotten some levels and a few more powerful moves (sorry Ponyta), it’s still functionally the same team as he had in Hearthome.

Meanwhile I spent thousands of coins on high-power TMs.

capture-133

Yeah.

capture-134 capture-135

It’s okay I looked ahead and I’m already not looking forward to the next battle.

capture-136 capture-137

capture-138

Spamgio called out, “Barry you can’t sing though! You got us kicked out of the karaoke place!”

capture-139 capture-140
capture-141 capture-142

Congratulations Reina! Now technically at any point now I could AR code in Spamigo could trip over a Dragon Scale and evolve Reina into a Kingdra. Ultimate Pokemon Randomizer has a feature to fix impossible evolutions, which usually means adding an alternate method so that trading is not required. So rather than trade a Seadra holding a Dragon Scale, you just have your Seadra level up while carrying a Dragon Scale.

I’m going to hold off on this for now and evolve her… Somewhere in the 40s 50? Seadra to Kingdra seems like something that should happen between 40 and 45.

And with Reina evolved I think it’s time for a TEAM UPDATE!

capture-143 capture-144
capture-145 capture-146

Return isn’t the best on Wilhelmina since she’s more Special-slanted, but it’s a non-Electric move until she learns her Special coverage moves.

capture-147 capture-148
capture-149 capture-150

Dogu has a lot of Special Defense but not as much Physical Defense. Reflect to halve Physical damage in theory makes them a better all-round tank.

capture-151 capture-152
capture-153 capture-154

On the list of “Things I didn’t know” is that Seviper is actually even with its Physical and Special attack stats and can learn Flamethrower. That’s just going to be something I keep in the back of my mind as we approach the Steel and Ice gyms.

Also my giant murder snakes knocks things out more effectively because I treat it well.

capture-155 capture-156
capture-157 capture-158

Reina’s growing into having a diverse move list! I probably shouldn’t have replaced Bubblebeam with Brine but if we’re being honest every Water move in that slot is just a placeholder for Surf. Not going to pretend Reina wasn’t always the Designated Surf Haver.

capture-159 capture-160
capture-161 capture-162

Soon, Anomalo, you’ll be the Attack monster. Buff up with Swords Dance and then start going to town. Interestingly, despite the animation always being someone doing a karate chop, Brick Break does not require hands to use!

capture-163 capture-164
capture-165 capture-166

Castellia has a lot of Phsyical Defense but not as much Special Defense. Light Screen to halve Special damage in theory makes her a better all-round tank.

I’m… mostly sure I got that right.

Rest is pretty iffy in this list without giving her a Chesto Berry for the immediate wake up. But honestly I wanted to try something new since I only play Pokemon games single-player and have never messed with any tactic beyond “Have a bunch of move types and hold down the attack button.”

NEXT TIME:

UPDATE 16: CRASHERMANIA’S RUNNING WILD!

capture-001

In preparation for this battle, Spamigo had studied the PPV record and realized that when Crasher Wake looks defeated and his opponent tried to remove his mask that just gave Wake the motivation to power up thanks to the energy of the tides and the love of his fans and then no-sell two hits before ending things with the Tsunami Overcrash.

So don’t go for the mask.

capture-002 capture-003
capture-004 capture-005
capture-006 capture-007

In my head, Crasher Wake doesn’t have an indoor voice.

capture-008 capture-009

LET’S RUMBLE!

capture-011 capture-012

Now, Gyarados can pack a punch so we’ll have to be caref- oh look Quick Claw activated.

capture-014 capture-015

capture-017

It bugs me that Quick Claw only has a very indistinct animation and not a message.

Anyway Quagsire is Water/Ground so we’re not just going to be able to shock it.

At the time I assumed it also had a Ground-type move (it does) in addition to the requisite Water attack so Anomalo, Sid, and Dogu are out. So I thought why not send Castellia in? Bug resists Ground for some reason.

capture-018

Did you know that Toxic can miss?

capture-021

Did you know that Castellia seems to take two shots to zero in and land a Toxic?

capture-022 capture-023
capture-024 capture-025
capture-026

Funnily enough, I DID remember to give Castellia a Chesto Berry, so this Yawn didn’t stick.

capture-027 capture-028

And in doing so discovered how to break this Quagsire’s AI, since it kept reapplying Yawn instead of using Water Pulse.

capture-029 capture-030

capture-032

Now Floatzels are fast and this one has Aqua Jet because it’s not enough to be probably faster than everything else, you need a priority move so th- oh look Quick Claw activated.

capture-034 capture-035

capture-037 capture-038
capture-039

Yeah that’s fair you kinda… uh… didn’t actually battle a lot here.

capture-040 capture-041
capture-042 capture-043

badges

capture-044

Reina you have just enough time to decide what dipping sauce you want for your HM.

capture-045 capture-046
capture-047 capture-048

Brine doubles in power if the target is below 50% health which… probably has utility? If it still counted the double-damage if you attack the turn the opponent uses a Potion it definitely would but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work that way.

capture-049 capture-050
capture-051

That’s something that comes up in a lot of fields. Focusing only on the end result puts you into a more negative headspace, where focusing on the process and enjoyment in the moment lets you play better. Of course I’d expect a Face like Crasher Wake to be all about lifting up friendly challengers.

capture-052 capture-053
capture-054 capture-055
capture-056

Yeah yeah Advice Guy, I’m onto you.

capture-057

And so, energized by the earning of a badge and the kind words of a Gym Leader, Spamigo steps out into the evening air, thinking it sure would be a shame if this evening got interrupted.

But you can already see Barry running in.

capture-058 capture-059

Mr. Wake? I thought he had two first names and they were Crasher and Wake.

capture-060

So does your mask burn when people say your name?

capture-061 capture-062

Barry’s voice actor in my mental narration can’t play off calling someone “Master” like Domon Kasshu, sorry.

capture-063 capture-064
capture-065 capture-066
capture-067

“You’re good, you don’t need me.”

“I DECIDED I NEED YOU.”

capture-068 capture-069
capture-070

[deus ex reference here]

capture-071 capture-072
capture-073 capture-074
capture-075

NEXT TIME: Explosion sounds.

UPDATE 17: Chasing the Feeling

capture-118

Alias The Looker let out a hum as he stroked his chin like people did when they were being thoughtful. “So as you are saying the Team Galactic…”

“Blew up part of the Pastoria Marsh,” Spamigo explained with an exasperation that was lost on his companion.

capture-082 capture-083
capture-084 capture-085
capture-086 capture-087

“How fiendishness. And according to you, then the Crasher Wake…”

“Went to suplex the bomb or something.”

capture-092 capture-093

“And so you were to begun the immediate persuit of the admitted wrongdoer and did hound him with dogged determination.”

capture-102 capture-109
capture-116

“Yes, and-”

capture-126 capture-127
capture-128 capture-129
capture-130

Spamigo did not let out a sigh the entire length of the time spent catching up to Looker, but it was close.

capture-131 capture-132
capture-133 capture-134
capture-135

I’m going to admit that I’m pretty fond of humor like this.

capture-142 capture-143

To be fair, if I’d been actually running for this long I would be huffing and puffing and considering the benefits of the void.

capture-145 capture-146

capture-147 capture-148

Although it seems like he was running less because he wanted to save time and more because someone sent him out with only one Pokemon.

capture-149 capture-151
capture-152 capture-153

I wonder what the worldwide stats are on Croagunks that Shuddered and ate a Psychic-type move.

capture-154

Were you dropping Pokeballs to save the weight or something?

capture-155 capture-156
capture-157 capture-158

So he staggers off extremely slowly. Maybe humming the credits music from the Incredible Hulk show.

capture-159

And Cynthia shows up, apparently after having watched him walk off.

Unless…

capture-160 capture-161
capture-162

The lake you say…

capture-163 capture-164
capture-165 capture-166

Spamigo reflexively cut in with “The tourism board put that sign up.”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

capture-167 capture-168
capture-169 capture-170

“Barry we’ve been friends forever and you think you’ve never met my sister?”

“I dunno man it maybe she’s like your long lost sister who faked her own death in order to protect her family but then you end up meeting anyway and obviously the bad guys are gonna find out first and then it’s like a big thing and-”

capture-171 capture-172
capture-173

“Wait what?”

“Yeah it turns out it was just one of those big noisemakers they use to try to scare birds off with.”

capture-174 capture-175
capture-176 capture-177

Hope Barry doesn’t trip over the poor Galactic Grunt who’s probably passed out just off screen.

capture-178 capture-179
capture-180 capture-181

Oh yeah there’s a bunch of Psyduck. Just like mounded up. All of them doing that pose that Psyduck do. It’s like headaches are magnetic and draw them together.

capture-185 capture-186
capture-187

“…Isn’t this a fire extinguisher?”

“It only looks like a fire extinguisher. It’s full of medicine. Just spray it on them.”

capture-188 capture-189
capture-190 capture-191

“But… They already didn’t find any caves or magic Pokemon in the lakes.”

capture-192

Well bye Cynthia.

NEXT TIME: What do you mean that guy was important to the plot?

Okay for real though ALL I’M SAYING is we never saw Cynthia and that Galactic Grunt on the screen at the same time.

UPDATE 18: Ruin My Day.

Welcome back! We’ve got a bit of a longer update today.

capture-001

Here we see a group of Psyduck in their natural habitat: Misery.

capture-002 capture-003
capture-004

In my mind’s eye I still see spraying them with a fire extinguisher.

capture-005 capture-006

And now that the haze of migraine clears from their minds, their BLOODLUST comes roaring back to the forefront!

capture-007 capture-008
capture-009

Or they remembered it’s board game night tonight, who knows.

capture-010

Cynthia comes walking up like she didn’t just watch Spamigo spend three minutes fiddling with how to get the fire extinguisher to spray.

capture-011 capture-012
capture-015

It’s weird that Psyduck’s most known for its psychic powers and yet it’s never been a Psychic type. Like you see a Charmander and Game Freak is going, “no it’s normal type even with the fire on its tail.”

capture-016 capture-017
capture-018 capture-019

This looks like trying to find any justification to make Spamigo run this errand for her, but actually there is a pretty uncommon encounter on the next route, so she’s not lying!

capture-020 capture-022
capture-023

too easy.

capture-026 capture-027

And after a little more cajoling she leaves, because even Cynthia doesn’t want to have to deal with…

capture-028

The Fog Route.

Alright, so I was not taking screenshots of every single thing that happened while playing during the route, and at the end of it, I was kicking myself, as it turned out to be a pretty good dsiplay of the challenges of the Random Team Run. Granted, I had both Birdon and Scarfy in my team, neither of which I want to let into battle, because I overestimated the amount of HM usage I’d need. Perhaps it was a self-fulfilling prophecy that by bringing Birdon along to Fly back home and heal up, I guaranteed I would have to use Fly because I was down a battler. But regardless:

There’s stretch of Route 210 that’s clogged with Ace Trainers and a few Veterans, who were constant pains in my side. It turns out with an easily exploitable type weakness that I can see coming, balanced teams can just be a problem! Shoutouts to the Ace Trainer pair with a Gyarados and a Raichu. Mina declined to trivialize THAT fight with Quick Claw.

Game Freak usually does a pretty decent job making sure that whatever is coming up, the player has seen Pokemon that can overcome it. Even going back to Roark, you could possibly have had a Roselia and definitely a Machop. And here I am, thumbing my nose at all of that and saying that I need six Pokemon and six Pokemon alone to get through the game. And while Pokemon games usually aren’t objectively hard, sometimes doing this you run into the one Trainer that you have no good answers for that is an absolute nightmare.

But at any rate, here’s Spamigo in a tiny town full of bossy old people.

capture-029 capture-030

Here’s Spamigo shocked into silence that someone would ask where he’s from.

capture-031 capture-032
capture-033

Spamigo bit his tongue just this once that the legend of the lake Pokemon was just a legend.

capture-034 capture-035
capture-036 capture-037

Din, Naryu, and Faore; got it.

capture-040 capture-041
capture-042

Spamigo thought about saying it was just a noisemaker, but decided against it.

capture-043 capture-044

The old lady turned back to glare at the spaceman, but with nothing happening her mood worsened. She cleared her throat loudly, and started to repeat herself with greater emphasis: “If only I were YOUNGER, and had my POKEMON…”

capture-045

At that point Spamigo rushed in.

capture-046 capture-047
capture-048 capture-049

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeahno gonna have to ask that you maybe don’t.

capture-050 capture-051
capture-052

Pictured in this battle: Anomalo coming into his own.

capture-054

Step 1: Double his Attack.

Step 2: attack.

capture-056 capture-057
capture-060 capture-061

The little shrimp that could!

capture-062 capture-063
capture-064 capture-065

All are forced to admit how powerful Anomalo is!

capture-066 capture-067

Now let’s swap NPCs.

capture-068 capture-069

And just like that she doesn’t seem to remember trying to guilt-trip Spamigo into fighting.

capture-070 capture-071

A whole bunch of text boxes about how yes, the person Cynthia said was her grandmother is in fact her grandmother and the Old Charm is special and you should go see inside the ruins.

capture-079 capture-080

So let’s!

capture-081 capture-082
capture-083 capture-084
capture-085 capture-086

Wonder who made this. As in, in-universe.

capture-087 capture-088
capture-089

Oh right Gen IV added this wonderful nugget the fanon.

capture-090 capture-091
capture-092 capture-093

Who would interrupt a history lesson?

capture-094 capture-095
capture-096

Wait the guy I’ve been saying isn’t a part of the plot? What are you doing here making me a liar?

capture-097 capture-098
capture-099 capture-100
capture-101
capture-102 capture-103
capture-104
capture-105 capture-106
capture-107 capture-108
capture-109 capture-110

There’s not a whole lot to say when people start trying to talk about the cosmic balance and the need to destroy the world to remake it. One of those conversations that you want to keep away from.

capture-113 capture-114
capture-115

And yet Spamigo feels himself compelled to step in and stop someone threatening the town and its history.

capture-116 capture-117
capture-118

So there’s some weird interactions in the type chart that I’ll remember, and some that I just never committed.

capture-122 capture-123

I spend turns trying to get this Sneasel to eat a Toxic because I don’t remember that Bug is supereffective against Dark!

capture-127

There was no reason to let it Ice Punch as much!

capture-128 capture-129

Friggin’ ow. And if it does that much to Sid I’m afraid about sending anyone else into a Drill Peck, so…

capture-130 capture-131

Sorry Sid.

capture-133 capture-135

Let’s just do the right thing this time.

capture-137

Nuh-uh game you already taught me that lesson about trying to be cute. I’m staying the course in the face of this Golbat.

capture-139 capture-141
capture-142 capture-143

And I’m rewarded for it!

capture-144 capture-145
capture-146 capture-147

And on that cryptic note Cyrus skulks away. Of course we’re not telling the InterPol agent investigating Team Galactic that their leader was threatening to unmake reality.

capture-149 capture-150
capture-151 capture-152

“Leave a room for that ungrateful girl for FIVE YEARS but does she come home to visit her poor grandmother? Of course the life of a big shot means she has to sacrifice time with her family.”

“So then this…”

“If you’re not happy I’ll let you go through the rest before I donate it to the resale store.”

capture-153 capture-154

YES!

Oh we have a detour to make now.

capture-158 capture-159

Excuse me Cynthia there’s a TM I need to find.

capture-160 capture-161

“Harmless…?”

Cynthia shrugged. “Well, some theft here and there. But they’re barely more competent than deliquents. And the whole passing off a noisemaker as a bomb thing, you know? I just sort of assumed they were crazy and morons.”

“And now?”

“Well they might not all be morons and that’s worrying.”

capture-168 capture-169
capture-170 capture-171

Right, go to the town with the next Gym.

capture-172

Alright are people done talking to me? GOOD.

capture-173 capture-174
capture-175

Join me next time as we make a very very critically important no we cannot skip this detour before we go to Canalave City!

NEXT TIME: I’ve been planning this since I rolled my team.

UPDATE 19: The Abridge Version

Hello! Last time, we learned that we needed to be going to Canalave City.

capture-001

We are not going to Canalave City. Route 219 comes south off of Sandgem town, the second town in the game. Where Roark’s lab is. We didn’t stop in to say hi.

capture-002 capture-003
capture-004

And yet we still must go further southward!

capture-005

Ostensibly, the only reason that you would come this way is Pal Park. In ye olden times on ye DS or DS Lite (DSi owners can get bent), ye could pop ye GBA cart into the console and do a one-way transfer from ye Gen III game into ye Gen IV game. This was how you were meant to Catch 'Em All. Naturally, the Pal Park opens up in the postgame. It does nothing for me now. Or perhaps at all since this playthrough is emulated.

capture-006

Even if DeSmuME had the functionality to do so, I’m still not. For what purpose? Teams Don’t Call Me Lance and Invasive Species have more than earned their rest in the hall of fame.

But since it’s a post-game only feature, you might very well think this whole route is blocked off and only accessible in the postgame. You might very well be wrong, but you could think that all the same.

When I was first looking over the level-up moves of my team and starting to lament how dire some of them were, I looked to the TMs and what was available, and thought for certain this would be blocked off. But it’s not. And so it is Very Important that we get it.

capture-007 capture-008

X-Scissor. Or Scissor Cross if you want to get literal with the translation. 80 Power, 100% Accuracy, Physical Bug attack. You know when Anomalo would be learning this? Level 73 .

No, I’m not kidding.

We’ve got most of the game between now and then!

Who else is even going to take this? Sid’s the only one who even can use this TM and he’s already got more good moves than he has move slots.

capture-009

No, this is getting served hot and fresh to Anomalo with a side of buttermilk ranch dipping sauce and I’m not looking back. The only reason that I might not slam it into the first slot and hold down the A button is if I ever so faintly consider putting Swords Dance under there instead. And yet in the end Anomalo might just have so much Attack he doesn’t need the buff that much.

I know where the Rock Slide TM is and as soon as we’re on the way there I’m picking that up and bumping out Rock Tomb without a moment’s hesitation.

Now those among you with a long memory might be about to bring up the 100 Power, 100% Accuracy Physical Ground-type attack in the room: Earthquake. Platinum actually makes Earthquake available pretty early, but that specific move I have avoided just because I was unsure of how to apply it.

Anomalo certainly would be able to put the damage to the best use, but obviously isn’t getting STAB out of it. Dogu has a lot of good options, but he doesn’t learn the 90 Power, 100% Accuracy, Special Earth Power until 62. I might not reach 62 before the Elite 4, though I might grind up to there to fight them. Is letting Dogu try to get by on Psychic and some other coverage for so long and neglecting giving him a Ground STAB worth it? That’s what I just don’t know.

I still have some time before I fight the Steel-type Gym, so I can still kick the can down the road. I am curious about what you all think though: 70 Base Attack + STAB worth it compared to 125 Base Attack? Does Anomalo just have so many good moves available through TMs it’s better to let Dogu have it?

capture-010

But now that we have X-Scissor Cross, we can continue on our merry way and meet a scientist on the way.

capture-011

The confusion must’ve been visible on Spamigo’s face, because the scientist didn’t wait for the question. “I’m Dawn’s father, I work with Professor Rowan.”

“Oh…” Spamigo nodded in just enough understanding. “How’s she doing?”

He shrugged, “Well she was annoyed about something last time she came by. Did something happen? Oh, Rowan asked me to upgrade your Pokedex. May I?”

Spamigo handed the device over and the scientist started to fiddle with the options as Spamigo explained. “No, nothing I can think of. I mean there was a something with Galactic, but other than that we haven’t seen each other that much.”

That answer was met with a few nods as the scientist finished pushing buttons, put something into the expansion slot, and slammed it in by bashing it against his knee. It made a real meaty KER-CHUNK sound but then the Pokedex was booting up and beeping normally.

“They tried to steal Dawn’s Pokedex, right? Between that and trying to steal his research in Jubilife, the Professor’s starting to be concerned. Can I ask you to keep an eye on Teal Galactic? Just let the Professor know if you see anything, there’s no reason for you to get involved.”

“Right…” At this point it seemed to Spamigo like he couldn’t not be involved, but he didn’t want to tell Dawn’s father that.

capture-025 capture-026

Ahem.

Also, on the way to Canalave!

capture-027 capture-028
capture-029 capture-030

Dogu evolves!

capture-031

Dogu wants to learn WHAT?!

capture-033 capture-034

You know what fine, I’ll accept the mental image of Dogu blasting Hyper Beams out of his eyes in all directions like some kind of alien invader.

capture-035

After all of that, now we’re in Canalave, the city with the canal. I don’t know about its population of aves. Clearly it can’t be too high because it’s my lot in life to be opposed by birds.

capture-036

Well this bascule bridge looks like a pretty good place for some form of dramatic encounter.

capture-037

Oh there we go. Hope no boats need to pass through for the next little bit.

capture-038 capture-039
capture-040 capture-041

Alright while I had my skepticisms about how Barry might have dealt with Fantina or Maylene, I could actually see his present team dealing with Byron’s team.

capture-043 capture-044

That Bird is all grown up! And actually it’s grown out of the That Bird gimmick, now it’s just morphing into a Staraptor that’ll just peck your face off at a moment’s noti- oh look Quick Claw activated.

capture-045 capture-046
capture-047 capture-048

I love it when Mina decides to just Thunder Break an enemy out of the picture.

capture-050

what

I looked, it knows Stomp and Take Down. I don’t know why it went for Tail Whip of all things.

capture-051 capture-052

Let’s just… move on.

capture-053

Full disclosure: After losing Babby’s First Rival Battle I was reeling, wondering if I should even keep the footage and the team, especially in despair because Grass resists Electric even before Torterra goes fully immune. Eventually, without consulting Bulbapedia, I calmed myself down by telling my self that “Seadra/Kingra look like they should learn Ice Beam so they probably do.”

capture-054 capture-055
capture-056

I just didn’t expect it to do so much.

capture-057 capture-058
capture-059 capture-060

Oh yeah Barry has a Heracross now and it is PISSED.

capture-062

castellia PLEA

capture-067 capture-068

Jeeze did they change its ability so it crits more if an ally’s fainted?

capture-070 capture-071
capture-072

Alright, so the Toxic was going to get rid of Heracross no matter what, so I bet on Anomalo being able to take a hit but double his attack.

capture-073 capture-074

Now, Anorith is in that category of Pokemon where it’s not a speedy Pokemon but it’s speedier than you expect and every now and then it gets the initiative in a battle where you wouldn’t expect it.

capture-075 capture-076

Why did I expect it to do so against one of the speedier Water-types?

I don’t have to testify when it may be incriminating.

capture-078 capture-079
capture-080

Maybe I’ll use pattern recognition one day and stop trying to be cute… or I’ll forget all the life lessons I’ve learned between now and then.

capture-082 capture-083
capture-084 capture-085

Is it me?

capture-086

Aww.

capture-087 capture-088

Clearly even though Iron Island does not have any Heracrosses it’ll provide valuable insight into Barry’s prowess and allow us to overcome him in our next encounter.

NEXT TIME: WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU ONLY BROUGHT ONE POKEMON!?

UPDATE 20: Riley Isn’t Invited To My Birthday Party

capture-001

Oh! I didn’t see you come in. Actually that’s a lie, my network of 4k cameras and occupancy sensors doesn’t miss anything . But let’s keep rolling.

capture-002 capture-003
capture-004

Welcome to scenic Iron Island. A tiny speck of rock in the (presumably cold (because Sinnoh’s deal is it’s Cold and Ancient)) ocean that somehow has a mine on it.

Anyone ever find a seed in Minecraft that starts on an island? I’m not ruling it out.

capture-005

And as we ascend up the stairs, someone in a stylish hat is there!

capture-006 capture-007
capture-008

Careful, I just heard the fourth wall creaking.

capture-009 capture-010
capture-011 capture-012

And now, if I so chose I could just turn around and walk away since there’s nothing really in the caves for me except free experience.

capture-013

But it’s for me, and it’s free.

capture-015 capture-017

I bet it smells lovely down here. I’m sure the slowly rusting barrels add a wonderful layer to the aroma.

capture-019 capture-020
capture-021 capture-022

The usual partnering rules apply: All wild Pokemon battles and most trainer battles are going to be doubles, and you’ll get a free full heal after each battle.

Riley uses a Lucario because it’s not enough that it’s the ace of a Gym Leader, Gamefreak wanted to make sure that you saw the Pushed Mascot Pokemon.

capture-023 capture-024

“Didn’t you say you came here to train?”

Riley’s smile turned fixed as he slowly nodded. “I… haven’t had a lot to do lately.”

capture-026 capture-027

And yet all the barrels got left behind. They’re red barrels in a video game, so are they explosive? I don’t think Pokemon has confirmed that all red barrels are explosive. If they’re not full of explosion, what do you think is inside them?

capture-044 capture-045

“Oh no Roark specializes in Rock types.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

capture-046 capture-047
capture-048 capture-049

Spamigo had a look of deep concentration on his face for a few moments as he mulled over what Riley said. Hesitantly, he ask, “But wouldn’t Lucario be a good pick to fight a Steel-type because it’s Fighting-type?”

Riley stopped. “I meant metaphorically.”

capture-053
capture-050 capture-052
capture-029
capture-054

While slogging through the endless random battles, this happened:

capture-032

At level 37 Anomalo was set to learn his first Bug-type move. And it’s Fury Cutter . This is why that detour to get X-Scissor was so important.

capture-033

Alright, so I started a battle with two Ace Trainers, who send out this Staraptor/Medicham team. I don’t screenshot their dialog, or the first turn, but here’s what happened: Medicham and Staraptor dog-piled Riley’s Lucario and knocked it out almost immediately. It turns out Lucario really doesn’t like taking a High Jump Kick to the chin.

After withdrawing his fainted Lucario, Riley stepped back and crossed his arms over his chest, not seemed to notice Spamigo’s worried expression. “Aren’t… Don’t you have another Pokemon?”

“I find it’s more effective to train with one Pokemon at a-”

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN’T BRING ANOTHER POKEMON?!"

capture-034 capture-035

Now I’m panicking! In between the screaming internally and the shaking my fist at Riley and telling him he’s never allowed to partner up with me again, I remember that I do have a spread move I can try to cheese things with.

capture-036 capture-037

Extremely luckily for me Reina did not eat a Hi Jump Kick+Close Combat turn and get wombo combo’d out of existence.

capture-038

Thankfully the challenge was front-loaded in this Randomly Difficult Trainer Battle.

capture-041 capture-042

And that’s why Riley isn’t invited to my birthday party.

capture-055

Ah yes, Galactic Grunts! Probably the source of these troubles. We’ll just-

capture-056

ahem

We’ll just deal with them now.

capture-057 capture-058
capture-059
capture-060 capture-061
capture-062 capture-063
capture-064 capture-065
capture-066 capture-067

I’d take you more seriously if you didn’t just almost lose me the last battle, Riley.

capture-070

In contrast this isn’t even worth showing. Anomalo uses Swords Dance and then it and Lucario go to town, stop for lunch, do some leisurely shopping, and make their way back home.

The Grunts run away after losing, like Grunts do.

capture-076 capture-077

capture-078 capture-079

I think I went home to deposit someone and pick up this Egg. It’s a Riolu egg. Technically speaking there’s nothing in the rules that say I couldn’t hatch it and the Togepi egg to keep them around for moral support.

If you have a good nickname for a Riolu and/or Togepi to be our mascot/tagalong kid share it in the thread!

capture-082 capture-083
capture-084

I do take care on the way out, but I stand by what I said before about the invitation. The real reason I take care on the way out is that Anomalo is very close to level 40, which means he’s very close to…

capture-086 capture-087
capture-088 capture-089

Evolving!

I’ve always been a little torn on Armaldo’s design. On the one hand, something about the proportions (namely the big trunk and stumpy straight legs) scream classic Godzilla movie to me, and I like that.

On the other hand, Anorith hews very closely to the design of Anomalocaris and hearkens back to the oddities of form in the Cambrian era, a period which has always fascinated me. Losing the compound eyes and radial mouth and making it more conventional both adds something to the design and takes something away for me.

But you know what I don’t feel torn about?

capture-085 capture-090

These stat gains!

He’s lost 20 Speed, so the era of Anomalo randomly being faster than some Pokemon is likely over. But at minimum he’s gained 25 points everywhere, with a whopping 42 added to his Defense. This is the point where I’d say that Anomalo has truly come into his own and man am I glad for it.

NEXT TIME: Uncharted waters.

This is actually a very special update! Like I mentioned into the OP, I was originally posting this on another forum that has since been sadly closed. Up until now it’s been all my old material and screenshots. But this update covers the last time that I played before putting this on hiatus as I didn’t have a place to post.

capture-093

Going forward it’ll be all new material. I’m excited for you to join me! Who knows what will happen?! I mean, it’ll be Pokemon Platinum. I’m not dropping this thread to start LPing Magical Starsign or Infinite Space, be as they may DS JRPGs I remember fondly. But I have no more advance knowledge of how things will go than you do.

Also, if you have any suggestions to make, NOW! IS! THE! TIME!

UPDATE 21: THE RIDDLE OF STEEL

Welcome back my dear reader(s)! Since we are now moving into uncharted territory and we’ve had a few evolutions, I thought we should start this off with a T E A M U P D A T E!

capture-001 capture-002 capture-003

DASH! DASH! dan dan dadan
SCRAMBLE! DASH!

because that’s how the Great Mazinger them starts
and it’s big move is the Thunder Break
and that’s what i’ve been calling mina using thunderbolt

DON’T MAKE FUN OF ME OR SO HELP ME I’LL TAKE HER TO THE MOVE RELEARNER TO GIVE HER FIRE PUNCH AND SPEND THE REST OF THIS LP YELLING DRILL PRESSURE PUNCH!

Anyway whatever Mina Thunder Breaks oughta be left hurting, and she’s got Thunder Wave for utility now. Since she’s fully evolved she’ll start coming into some spread moves too.

capture-004 capture-005 capture-006

Claydol’s actually got balanced base Attack and Special Attack, although you’d never know it from the massively special slanted movelist it has.

Dogu leans into the Special side of things, and having some kind of ancient astronaut idol blasting beams out of its helmet suits me just fine.

capture-007 capture-008 capture-009

Reina’s got Surf in the first move slot and that’s all she needs. Kingdra doesn’t have particularly great Dragon moves by level-up, but we’ll get around that (she can get Draco Meteor if we’re desperate). She packs a potent Ice Beam as well.

capture-010 capture-011 capture-012

Seviper’s actually got balanced base Attack and Special Attack, although you’d never know it from the massively physically slanted movelist it has.

Now that we’ve pulled away from the early game where stats are not very differentiated, Sid’s lack of defenses is coming back to haunt him. If I have any speed boosting medicines I should give them to him along with the Quick Claw. If he does get that attack in, though, a good Return or (eventually) Poison Jab should put a hurting on something.

capture-013 capture-014 capture-015

Castellia gets to sit in front of physical attackers and wait them out, since she’s got few weaknesses and a lot of resistances. With Sturdy she’s guaranteed to set up a Light Screen, and would be guaranteed to apply Toxic if she didn’t always seem to take one or two turns to zero it in. If she’s not getting Chesto Berries I might pass her the lens so she could hit Toxic on the first try.

capture-016 capture-017 capture-018

Anomalo is here to crush whatever gets in his way. If he needs it, he’s got 220 attack and a bevy of good moves to put it to use. His vulnerability to some special types is a little rough to deal with, but he can just claw through enemies like the jaws of life vs. a flimsy car exterior, so I’m not that worried.

capture-001 capture-002

At any rate, it’s time to fight Shaq. I apologize for the images being slightly different in size, I had to change my process slightly (but I did learn how to make my Switch Pro Controller work with deSmuME so if you’d like to learn, let me know).

capture-003 capture-004
capture-005

Or if he has a steel body does that make him Metallo?

capture-006

Canalave Gym could nominally be called a maze, but really much like Pastoria Gym it’s a maze you solve be walking forwards. There really aren’t that many dead ends or loops.

capture-007 capture-008

I enjoy the implication that Spamigo just walks up to a Gym leader and yanks out the badge case to show off the goods.

capture-009 capture-010
capture-011 capture-012

He doesn’t have a sledgehammer I am immeasurably disappointed.

capture-015 capture-019

Byron’s team is somewhat geared to take advantage of Metal Sound lowering Special Defense, and he’s got multiple Flash Cannon Pokemon.

capture-020 capture-021

But he didn’t really do much to stop Dogu from melting his Magneton’s three brains.

capture-023

I forget that this Steelix has Ice Fang and Reflect probably wouldn’t save Dogu.

capture-024 capture-026
capture-027

But this Steelix forgets that it has Ice Fang too. But Dogu was low enough that trading blows didn’t work out.

capture-028 capture-029

But Reina’s more than enough!

capture-031
capture-032 capture-033

I’ll be honest with you, in my head Steel resists Water, and not the other way around. Also in my head Steel is weak to Electric, but I actually managed to remember that here. So I thought I was just going to hit the Bastiodon in its comparatively softer Special Defense, not drain most of it with a single Surf.

capture-035 capture-036
capture-037 capture-038

At least he didn’t give up!

capture-041 capture-042
capture-043

capture-044 capture-045

STRENGTH PUZZLE TIME YEAH!

capture-048 capture-049
capture-051

Reina can actually learn this, and I’m kind of considering it. It would give her something that can blast Ice pretty hard after she evolves.

capture-053 capture-054
capture-055 capture-056
capture-057

Feel like I should be telling this to my nephew if/when he ever gets into Pokemon.

capture-058 capture-059

“So why did they abandon the Iron Island mine?”

“Gravelers love to Selfdestruct there.”

capture-060 capture-061
capture-062 capture-063
capture-064

Yeah yeah, you have to say that to everyone who gets this Badge.

capture-065

It’d be real awkward if we’d washed out of beating Byron and were slinking out doing the walk of shame back to the Pokemon Center to heal up.

capture-066 capture-067
capture-068 capture-069

Hmm, that explains the distinctly plot-like rumble I’ve been hearing as I walk past the Library.

NEXT TIME: books zand papers

UPDATE 22: It’s Not A Lake Any More

Previously in the investigation…

capture-001

We beat Byron and then Barry wanted to talk to us at the library. I’m surprised Barry knows what a library is, he seems like the kind of person who listens to audibooks but at 2x speed because he’s in a hurry all the time.

capture-002 capture-003
capture-004

I slooooowly moseyed down to the Pokecenter to heal up just to spite him.

capture-005 capture-006
capture-007

“Or at least quieter than your friend.”

capture-008 capture-009
capture-010 capture-011

And then Rowan glares at Barry for three whole text boxes until Barry decides to stay.

“Well!” Rowan began to speak and began to pace beside the table, hands clasped behind his back like an instructor. “Now that everyone has decided to listen. You two may have run out on your adventure too quickly to remember this, but I specialize in the study of Pokemon evolution. Yet, for all that I have learned, I still have more questions than answers. What separates Pokemon that evolve from Pokemon that do not? Is it a process of simple maturity? Then what do we make of Pokemon which do not evolve, such as the Legendary Pokemon? Are they complete, perfect beings?”

Spamigo raised his hand: “So… since Sid hasn’t evolved yet does that mean he’s perfect?”

That only threw Rowan off his lecture for a moment. “You could draw that conclusion I suppose. But it is the Legendary Pokemon that I have asked you here for. The three lakes of Sinnoh are each said to contain a Mirage Pokemon.”

Spamigo had just opened his mouth to disagree, but the combination of Dawn’s glare and Barry’s elbow in the ribs kept him quiet.

Rowan chose not to notice at all and continue: “Any data on the Mirage Pokemon that you three could gather in your Pokedex would be of great help to my research.”

“Hey wait I didn’t get a Pokedex!” Barry blurted out faster than Spamigo could jab him with an elbow.

Rowan’s mustache twitched in a halfway threatening manner. “And just who was it that bolted from my lab saying something about how they would 'catch ‘em all’ before I could give them a Pokedex? But that is all water under the bridge. There are three lakes, three Mirage Pokemon, and three assistants. Dawn, if you would, please go to Lake Verity. Barry, you go to Lake Acuity, in the north.”

“YOU BET!” Barry boasted. “I was totally gonna catch all the lake Pokemon shuddup Spamigo for you as a thank-you for giving us our Pokemon I just… put it off a bit because I wanted to get tougher first!”

“I see,” came Rowan’s harrumph. “Well, I’m counting on you. Spamigo, that should leave you with Lake Valor, between Veilstone and Past-”

The only thing that was able to actually break the Professor’s unflappable calmness was the sudden, violent, yet short earthquake that rocked through the library in a matter of seconds.

capture-054

When the ground decided to be still again, Rowan set to making sure his assistants were unharmed, while Barry started frantically mashing buttons on the TV behind them until he stumbled onto a news channel.

capture-059 capture-060
capture-061

Is Platinum the most self-aware Pokemon game? It seems like it.

capture-066 capture-067
capture-073 capture-074
capture-075

“GrampsIgotarealbadfeelingaboutthisI’mgonnagocheckoutlakeAcuityandmakesurenothingbadhappenstheretooBYE!” The only thing faster than Barry’s speech was his pace in racing out of town.

“He really can’t sit still, can he?” Rowan turned to Spamigo with his moustache set at a stern angle. “Spamigo if you would, please hurry to Lake Valor. After an explosion like that, I can’t believe everything would be unharmed. But do not get in over your head, do you understand me? Dawn and I will join you after we finish at Lake Verity.”

Spamigo nodded and turned to leave town, only stopped by Dawn getting his attention: “Spamigo, you just… stay safe, okay?”

And for some reason it was Dawn’s request that made him feel guilty that he was almost certainly going to be fighting Team Galactic at the lake.

capture-096

A quick stop to get Birdon out, Fly, and immediately put Birdon away and here are at scenic Lake Valor.

capture-097

Which is kind of missing the lake right now. I’m not a geologist, but- Oh wait I do have a geology focus in my degree. Yeah you need water for a lake.

capture-098 capture-099
capture-100

Those fiends!

…I should’ve gone to see if they let you do the lakes in either order or if they have some railroading barricade at Verity.

capture-101 capture-102

That’s… one of the weaker threats I’ve heard in my life.

capture-110 capture-111

Although this Galactic Grunt treated the Magikarp with scorn, there was one with a hint of bravery in its blank stare and determination in it’s weak flops. He took it with him, and as he cared for the Magikarp, he slowly grew to be inspired how it always drove itself to jump higher and higher with each flop. He encouraged it, trained it, and one day after Team Galactic had long since been disbanded, he would form the first Magikarp Jump League to serve as a home for all who found friendship in the mighty leaps of the humble Magikarp.

capture-124

Anyway there’s a cave now revealed with a Galactic Commander inside.

He’s got a unique sprite I’m just assuming that’s an Commander.

capture-126 capture-127
capture-128 capture-129

The mystery man’s voice was so laden with scorn it was dripping. “So you’re the one who gave Jupiter and Mars such trouble. Hah! Those two only barely complete their missions with how much time they spend arguing with each other. But there’s a reason the boss entrusted this lake to me, Saturn, Team Galactic’s strongest Commander!”

capture-134 capture-135
capture-136 capture-137
capture-139 capture-141

Sid and this Golbat trade blows, but his Returns pack more of a punch than the Golbat’s Air Cutters, so it passes out first.

capture-146 capture-147

The text box auto-scrolled before I could capture it, but this Toxicroak pops out and its Anticipation kicks in. You know what hypothetical global counter I proposed for how many Croagunks and Toxicroaks shuddered and immediately ate a Supereffective OHKO?

capture-148 capture-149

Add one more to it.

capture-150 capture-151

capture-152

While Steel still isn’t weak to Electric like the type chart in my head goes, this Bronzor does not like Thunder Break.

capture-155 capture-156

As I was writing this update I just noticed the “Player” inclusion. What did I do that you don’t want to use my name?

capture-157 capture-158
capture-159 capture-160
capture-161 capture-162

The classic video game villain strategy of executing your evil plan faster than the heroes can put a stop it it.

Oh wait the Professor and Dawn are probably in danger aren’t they.

NEXT TIME: A Daring Rescue!

Update 23: The Daring Rescue!

Where last we left off, Professor Rowan and Dawn were presumably in danger because of Team Galactic, and it would look bad on our track record as academic assistants if anything happened to them.

capture-165

For some reason this game doesn’t apply lighting effects to the player sprite until a second or two after the Fly animation apparently ends. I am not sure why.

I am also not sure why I Flew into Twinleaf because I then had to run to Sandgem to get to a PC and deposit Birdon to make sure I didn’t break any of my own rules.

capture-166

But let’s get to the rescuing!

capture-167 capture-168
capture-169

Is Spamigo a bad enough dude to save President Dawnie?

There’s a few unimpressive grunts between us and the unselected player character avatar in distress.

capture-170 capture-173

My friend just make sure that you’re saying that to recognize your own objectives and focus on them, not just to save your ego. The latter path is not a growth mindset.

capture-179 capture-180

We’re just ignoring the possibility of the lake Pokemon being real, as that would be too damaging to Spamigo’s worldview to process right now and we don’t need the distraction.

capture-181 capture-182
capture-183

You know what Dawn? Fair.

capture-190 capture-191
capture-192 capture-193

You know, since we’re getting this Commander fights back-to-back, go ahead and queue up GET THEM again!

capture-194 capture-195
capture-196

Missing is not something you want to do when Mina’s electric heart is filled with the spirit of justice.

capture-198 capture-199

Neither is buffing the stat that she’s not hitting anyway.

capture-200

Now this… this is a familiar matchup. This takes me back.

capture-201 capture-202
capture-203

okay i didn’t need to go back that far

capture-204 capture-205

I don’t remember exactly when Sleep starts counting, but I left Mina in on the gamble it would be a short Sleep.

capture-207 capture-208
capture-209

It wasn’t but once again this Purugly’s reliance on its beefy contact moves proves its undoing and opens the door for karma to ruin it.

capture-211 capture-212

Because for one, it cannot scratch Castellia’s impregnable shell.

capture-213

For two, Castellia just ate the Berry it was saving for a rainy day well before there was even a cloud in the sky.

capture-216 capture-218
capture-220

For three, it failed every single Paralysis roll and never got to act again.

capture-222 capture-223

“Mars Mars MARS Mars what are you doing?” The Commander muttered to herself, hiding her face behind her hand. “The Windworks and here? This shouldn’t be happening to a Galactic Commander none of this matters!” Her change of tone was just as sudden as gesture she made to the grunts to tell them to move out. “We already captured the Pokemon of the lake and sent it to the Veilstone HQ!”

capture-231 capture-232
capture-233 capture-234

I love it when villains tell you exactly what they did.

capture-235 capture-236
capture-237 capture-238

So I’m thinking… Azelf is Farore, Mespirit is Din, and Uxie is Nayru. I should finish the Oracle games some day…

Anyway her job done Mars leaves.

capture-240 capture-241
capture-242 capture-243

“I mean… this is like the fifth? Sixth time?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Jubilife, Windworks, Eternia, Pastoria, Lake Valor, just now…”

capture-244 capture-245

I would hope that Barry got there before Team Galactic. Even going to a completely new town shouldn’t take him long.

capture-246 capture-247
capture-248 capture-249

I’m sure it won’t take long. How far away is Lake Acuity?

capture-250 capture-251

…ah.

Well we just got Strength and the plot’s off in that direction, so there’s probably a Strength boulder between us and there. Scarfy can’t learn Strength so…

capture-001 capture-002
capture-003 capture-004

Say hello to Jammerjab! Once a devotee to the resurrection of a dark god, the power of friendship a contractor gig has changed his ways!

capture-005 capture-006
capture-007

The jaunt through Mt. Coronet was not nearly as long as I remembered, but I suppose I was maybe confusing it with the next long trek through the mountain. Either way we start walking down the blizzardy slopes.

capture-008 capture-009
capture-010

Thankfully they put a rest stop halfway to Snowpoint. Although really, I had a decently fast Pokemon up front (Reina) and it wasn’t particularly hard not to get worn down by random battles in Hail. Nowhere near as bothersome as a cave dungeon.

capture-011 capture-012
capture-013 capture-014

Even with a coat and scarf, Spamigo was still shivering since the one thing he hadn’t planned for was being up to his knees in the snow. “A-aren’t you-”

capture-016 capture-017
capture-018 capture-019
capture-020 capture-021

And there goes Maylene. I’m sure she could punch out the cold with her fighting spirit, I’m not that worried.

capture-022 capture-023
capture-024

The odd random trainer battle is included because MAYBE it’s just recency bias or MAYBE I’m just crazy but it seems like there are an awful lot of Trainers on the route trying to hit you with Burn or Poison. Which is kind of a jerk move in constant Hail!

capture-026 capture-027

Oh, and Mina learned Signal Beam. Grass resists Electric, you say? We need more good answers to Psychic or Dark types, you say? Don’t care Mina’s unlocking the limiter on her Photon Power engine.

capture-028

I… forgot this was here completely. I’m glad I didn’t! In the cabin there is a Hiker who dropped their HM08. If you’re honest he gives you the Icicle Plate. I mean I won’t turn down a gift and it’s a nice looking plate and all, but it’s just too fancy for my everyday use, y’know? And I don’t have enough fancy dinners to justify having good china on hand to break out. It’s just gonna gather dust in the closet at this point.

I suppose that’s one benefit of the Random Team Run, I don’t have to worry about seeing or capturing everything so I don’t need to stick around these routes longer than necessary.

capture-050 capture-051

So we can make it to Acuity Lakefront without being ground into the snow. As we get close to the lake…

capture-052 capture-053
capture-054 capture-055
capture-056 capture-057

This is just a silly bit of pacing: Barry’s going to be puttering around the lakefront until Galactic arrives, or be battling them while I go battle the Gym, get the badge, and finally get to the lake.

capture-062 capture-063

Maylene did not freeze to death in the snow, she’s just waiting to warm up before training with Candice so Candice can figure out how to beat Fighting types. Which I mean, fair. In my Emerald run, my Heracross and Hariyama just tore through the Ice-type Elite 4 like a bull through a china shop.

capture-067

Snowpoint’s always messed with my head. With isometric games like this, a lot of them put higher elevations towards the top of the screen, because it’s easier to show going up that way. So at some point, my brain just registered going north as going uphill. But what’s actually happening when you leave Mt. Coronet is you’re going down the slopes towards sea level, which is right here in Snowpoint. But my brain thought going north is going up, but then there’s the sea, and the sea can’t change altitude!

Anyway, next time I hope grinding up and getting the Badge don’t take so long that Barry gets his clock cleaned by Team Galactic.

NEXT TIME: Ice To Snow You Better