I Didn't Get To Choose My Friends - Pokemon Platinum Random Team Run

UPDATE 18: Ruin My Day.

Welcome back! We’ve got a bit of a longer update today.

capture-001

Here we see a group of Psyduck in their natural habitat: Misery.

capture-002 capture-003
capture-004

In my mind’s eye I still see spraying them with a fire extinguisher.

capture-005 capture-006

And now that the haze of migraine clears from their minds, their BLOODLUST comes roaring back to the forefront!

capture-007 capture-008
capture-009

Or they remembered it’s board game night tonight, who knows.

capture-010

Cynthia comes walking up like she didn’t just watch Spamigo spend three minutes fiddling with how to get the fire extinguisher to spray.

capture-011 capture-012
capture-015

It’s weird that Psyduck’s most known for its psychic powers and yet it’s never been a Psychic type. Like you see a Charmander and Game Freak is going, “no it’s normal type even with the fire on its tail.”

capture-016 capture-017
capture-018 capture-019

This looks like trying to find any justification to make Spamigo run this errand for her, but actually there is a pretty uncommon encounter on the next route, so she’s not lying!

capture-020 capture-022
capture-023

too easy.

capture-026 capture-027

And after a little more cajoling she leaves, because even Cynthia doesn’t want to have to deal with…

capture-028

The Fog Route.

Alright, so I was not taking screenshots of every single thing that happened while playing during the route, and at the end of it, I was kicking myself, as it turned out to be a pretty good dsiplay of the challenges of the Random Team Run. Granted, I had both Birdon and Scarfy in my team, neither of which I want to let into battle, because I overestimated the amount of HM usage I’d need. Perhaps it was a self-fulfilling prophecy that by bringing Birdon along to Fly back home and heal up, I guaranteed I would have to use Fly because I was down a battler. But regardless:

There’s stretch of Route 210 that’s clogged with Ace Trainers and a few Veterans, who were constant pains in my side. It turns out with an easily exploitable type weakness that I can see coming, balanced teams can just be a problem! Shoutouts to the Ace Trainer pair with a Gyarados and a Raichu. Mina declined to trivialize THAT fight with Quick Claw.

Game Freak usually does a pretty decent job making sure that whatever is coming up, the player has seen Pokemon that can overcome it. Even going back to Roark, you could possibly have had a Roselia and definitely a Machop. And here I am, thumbing my nose at all of that and saying that I need six Pokemon and six Pokemon alone to get through the game. And while Pokemon games usually aren’t objectively hard, sometimes doing this you run into the one Trainer that you have no good answers for that is an absolute nightmare.

But at any rate, here’s Spamigo in a tiny town full of bossy old people.

capture-029 capture-030

Here’s Spamigo shocked into silence that someone would ask where he’s from.

capture-031 capture-032
capture-033

Spamigo bit his tongue just this once that the legend of the lake Pokemon was just a legend.

capture-034 capture-035
capture-036 capture-037

Din, Naryu, and Faore; got it.

capture-040 capture-041
capture-042

Spamigo thought about saying it was just a noisemaker, but decided against it.

capture-043 capture-044

The old lady turned back to glare at the spaceman, but with nothing happening her mood worsened. She cleared her throat loudly, and started to repeat herself with greater emphasis: “If only I were YOUNGER, and had my POKEMON…”

capture-045

At that point Spamigo rushed in.

capture-046 capture-047
capture-048 capture-049

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeahno gonna have to ask that you maybe don’t.

capture-050 capture-051
capture-052

Pictured in this battle: Anomalo coming into his own.

capture-054

Step 1: Double his Attack.

Step 2: attack.

capture-056 capture-057
capture-060 capture-061

The little shrimp that could!

capture-062 capture-063
capture-064 capture-065

All are forced to admit how powerful Anomalo is!

capture-066 capture-067

Now let’s swap NPCs.

capture-068 capture-069

And just like that she doesn’t seem to remember trying to guilt-trip Spamigo into fighting.

capture-070 capture-071

A whole bunch of text boxes about how yes, the person Cynthia said was her grandmother is in fact her grandmother and the Old Charm is special and you should go see inside the ruins.

capture-079 capture-080

So let’s!

capture-081 capture-082
capture-083 capture-084
capture-085 capture-086

Wonder who made this. As in, in-universe.

capture-087 capture-088
capture-089

Oh right Gen IV added this wonderful nugget the fanon.

capture-090 capture-091
capture-092 capture-093

Who would interrupt a history lesson?

capture-094 capture-095
capture-096

Wait the guy I’ve been saying isn’t a part of the plot? What are you doing here making me a liar?

capture-097 capture-098
capture-099 capture-100
capture-101
capture-102 capture-103
capture-104
capture-105 capture-106
capture-107 capture-108
capture-109 capture-110

There’s not a whole lot to say when people start trying to talk about the cosmic balance and the need to destroy the world to remake it. One of those conversations that you want to keep away from.

capture-113 capture-114
capture-115

And yet Spamigo feels himself compelled to step in and stop someone threatening the town and its history.

capture-116 capture-117
capture-118

So there’s some weird interactions in the type chart that I’ll remember, and some that I just never committed.

capture-122 capture-123

I spend turns trying to get this Sneasel to eat a Toxic because I don’t remember that Bug is supereffective against Dark!

capture-127

There was no reason to let it Ice Punch as much!

capture-128 capture-129

Friggin’ ow. And if it does that much to Sid I’m afraid about sending anyone else into a Drill Peck, so…

capture-130 capture-131

Sorry Sid.

capture-133 capture-135

Let’s just do the right thing this time.

capture-137

Nuh-uh game you already taught me that lesson about trying to be cute. I’m staying the course in the face of this Golbat.

capture-139 capture-141
capture-142 capture-143

And I’m rewarded for it!

capture-144 capture-145
capture-146 capture-147

And on that cryptic note Cyrus skulks away. Of course we’re not telling the InterPol agent investigating Team Galactic that their leader was threatening to unmake reality.

capture-149 capture-150
capture-151 capture-152

“Leave a room for that ungrateful girl for FIVE YEARS but does she come home to visit her poor grandmother? Of course the life of a big shot means she has to sacrifice time with her family.”

“So then this…”

“If you’re not happy I’ll let you go through the rest before I donate it to the resale store.”

capture-153 capture-154

YES!

Oh we have a detour to make now.

capture-158 capture-159

Excuse me Cynthia there’s a TM I need to find.

capture-160 capture-161

“Harmless…?”

Cynthia shrugged. “Well, some theft here and there. But they’re barely more competent than deliquents. And the whole passing off a noisemaker as a bomb thing, you know? I just sort of assumed they were crazy and morons.”

“And now?”

“Well they might not all be morons and that’s worrying.”

capture-168 capture-169
capture-170 capture-171

Right, go to the town with the next Gym.

capture-172

Alright are people done talking to me? GOOD.

capture-173 capture-174
capture-175

Join me next time as we make a very very critically important no we cannot skip this detour before we go to Canalave City!

NEXT TIME: I’ve been planning this since I rolled my team.

UPDATE 19: The Abridge Version

Hello! Last time, we learned that we needed to be going to Canalave City.

capture-001

We are not going to Canalave City. Route 219 comes south off of Sandgem town, the second town in the game. Where Roark’s lab is. We didn’t stop in to say hi.

capture-002 capture-003
capture-004

And yet we still must go further southward!

capture-005

Ostensibly, the only reason that you would come this way is Pal Park. In ye olden times on ye DS or DS Lite (DSi owners can get bent), ye could pop ye GBA cart into the console and do a one-way transfer from ye Gen III game into ye Gen IV game. This was how you were meant to Catch 'Em All. Naturally, the Pal Park opens up in the postgame. It does nothing for me now. Or perhaps at all since this playthrough is emulated.

capture-006

Even if DeSmuME had the functionality to do so, I’m still not. For what purpose? Teams Don’t Call Me Lance and Invasive Species have more than earned their rest in the hall of fame.

But since it’s a post-game only feature, you might very well think this whole route is blocked off and only accessible in the postgame. You might very well be wrong, but you could think that all the same.

When I was first looking over the level-up moves of my team and starting to lament how dire some of them were, I looked to the TMs and what was available, and thought for certain this would be blocked off. But it’s not. And so it is Very Important that we get it.

capture-007 capture-008

X-Scissor. Or Scissor Cross if you want to get literal with the translation. 80 Power, 100% Accuracy, Physical Bug attack. You know when Anomalo would be learning this? Level 73 .

No, I’m not kidding.

We’ve got most of the game between now and then!

Who else is even going to take this? Sid’s the only one who even can use this TM and he’s already got more good moves than he has move slots.

capture-009

No, this is getting served hot and fresh to Anomalo with a side of buttermilk ranch dipping sauce and I’m not looking back. The only reason that I might not slam it into the first slot and hold down the A button is if I ever so faintly consider putting Swords Dance under there instead. And yet in the end Anomalo might just have so much Attack he doesn’t need the buff that much.

I know where the Rock Slide TM is and as soon as we’re on the way there I’m picking that up and bumping out Rock Tomb without a moment’s hesitation.

Now those among you with a long memory might be about to bring up the 100 Power, 100% Accuracy Physical Ground-type attack in the room: Earthquake. Platinum actually makes Earthquake available pretty early, but that specific move I have avoided just because I was unsure of how to apply it.

Anomalo certainly would be able to put the damage to the best use, but obviously isn’t getting STAB out of it. Dogu has a lot of good options, but he doesn’t learn the 90 Power, 100% Accuracy, Special Earth Power until 62. I might not reach 62 before the Elite 4, though I might grind up to there to fight them. Is letting Dogu try to get by on Psychic and some other coverage for so long and neglecting giving him a Ground STAB worth it? That’s what I just don’t know.

I still have some time before I fight the Steel-type Gym, so I can still kick the can down the road. I am curious about what you all think though: 70 Base Attack + STAB worth it compared to 125 Base Attack? Does Anomalo just have so many good moves available through TMs it’s better to let Dogu have it?

capture-010

But now that we have X-Scissor Cross, we can continue on our merry way and meet a scientist on the way.

capture-011

The confusion must’ve been visible on Spamigo’s face, because the scientist didn’t wait for the question. “I’m Dawn’s father, I work with Professor Rowan.”

“Oh…” Spamigo nodded in just enough understanding. “How’s she doing?”

He shrugged, “Well she was annoyed about something last time she came by. Did something happen? Oh, Rowan asked me to upgrade your Pokedex. May I?”

Spamigo handed the device over and the scientist started to fiddle with the options as Spamigo explained. “No, nothing I can think of. I mean there was a something with Galactic, but other than that we haven’t seen each other that much.”

That answer was met with a few nods as the scientist finished pushing buttons, put something into the expansion slot, and slammed it in by bashing it against his knee. It made a real meaty KER-CHUNK sound but then the Pokedex was booting up and beeping normally.

“They tried to steal Dawn’s Pokedex, right? Between that and trying to steal his research in Jubilife, the Professor’s starting to be concerned. Can I ask you to keep an eye on Teal Galactic? Just let the Professor know if you see anything, there’s no reason for you to get involved.”

“Right…” At this point it seemed to Spamigo like he couldn’t not be involved, but he didn’t want to tell Dawn’s father that.

capture-025 capture-026

Ahem.

Also, on the way to Canalave!

capture-027 capture-028
capture-029 capture-030

Dogu evolves!

capture-031

Dogu wants to learn WHAT?!

capture-033 capture-034

You know what fine, I’ll accept the mental image of Dogu blasting Hyper Beams out of his eyes in all directions like some kind of alien invader.

capture-035

After all of that, now we’re in Canalave, the city with the canal. I don’t know about its population of aves. Clearly it can’t be too high because it’s my lot in life to be opposed by birds.

capture-036

Well this bascule bridge looks like a pretty good place for some form of dramatic encounter.

capture-037

Oh there we go. Hope no boats need to pass through for the next little bit.

capture-038 capture-039
capture-040 capture-041

Alright while I had my skepticisms about how Barry might have dealt with Fantina or Maylene, I could actually see his present team dealing with Byron’s team.

capture-043 capture-044

That Bird is all grown up! And actually it’s grown out of the That Bird gimmick, now it’s just morphing into a Staraptor that’ll just peck your face off at a moment’s noti- oh look Quick Claw activated.

capture-045 capture-046
capture-047 capture-048

I love it when Mina decides to just Thunder Break an enemy out of the picture.

capture-050

what

I looked, it knows Stomp and Take Down. I don’t know why it went for Tail Whip of all things.

capture-051 capture-052

Let’s just… move on.

capture-053

Full disclosure: After losing Babby’s First Rival Battle I was reeling, wondering if I should even keep the footage and the team, especially in despair because Grass resists Electric even before Torterra goes fully immune. Eventually, without consulting Bulbapedia, I calmed myself down by telling my self that “Seadra/Kingra look like they should learn Ice Beam so they probably do.”

capture-054 capture-055
capture-056

I just didn’t expect it to do so much.

capture-057 capture-058
capture-059 capture-060

Oh yeah Barry has a Heracross now and it is PISSED.

capture-062

castellia PLEA

capture-067 capture-068

Jeeze did they change its ability so it crits more if an ally’s fainted?

capture-070 capture-071
capture-072

Alright, so the Toxic was going to get rid of Heracross no matter what, so I bet on Anomalo being able to take a hit but double his attack.

capture-073 capture-074

Now, Anorith is in that category of Pokemon where it’s not a speedy Pokemon but it’s speedier than you expect and every now and then it gets the initiative in a battle where you wouldn’t expect it.

capture-075 capture-076

Why did I expect it to do so against one of the speedier Water-types?

I don’t have to testify when it may be incriminating.

capture-078 capture-079
capture-080

Maybe I’ll use pattern recognition one day and stop trying to be cute… or I’ll forget all the life lessons I’ve learned between now and then.

capture-082 capture-083
capture-084 capture-085

Is it me?

capture-086

Aww.

capture-087 capture-088

Clearly even though Iron Island does not have any Heracrosses it’ll provide valuable insight into Barry’s prowess and allow us to overcome him in our next encounter.

NEXT TIME: WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU ONLY BROUGHT ONE POKEMON!?

UPDATE 20: Riley Isn’t Invited To My Birthday Party

capture-001

Oh! I didn’t see you come in. Actually that’s a lie, my network of 4k cameras and occupancy sensors doesn’t miss anything . But let’s keep rolling.

capture-002 capture-003
capture-004

Welcome to scenic Iron Island. A tiny speck of rock in the (presumably cold (because Sinnoh’s deal is it’s Cold and Ancient)) ocean that somehow has a mine on it.

Anyone ever find a seed in Minecraft that starts on an island? I’m not ruling it out.

capture-005

And as we ascend up the stairs, someone in a stylish hat is there!

capture-006 capture-007
capture-008

Careful, I just heard the fourth wall creaking.

capture-009 capture-010
capture-011 capture-012

And now, if I so chose I could just turn around and walk away since there’s nothing really in the caves for me except free experience.

capture-013

But it’s for me, and it’s free.

capture-015 capture-017

I bet it smells lovely down here. I’m sure the slowly rusting barrels add a wonderful layer to the aroma.

capture-019 capture-020
capture-021 capture-022

The usual partnering rules apply: All wild Pokemon battles and most trainer battles are going to be doubles, and you’ll get a free full heal after each battle.

Riley uses a Lucario because it’s not enough that it’s the ace of a Gym Leader, Gamefreak wanted to make sure that you saw the Pushed Mascot Pokemon.

capture-023 capture-024

“Didn’t you say you came here to train?”

Riley’s smile turned fixed as he slowly nodded. “I… haven’t had a lot to do lately.”

capture-026 capture-027

And yet all the barrels got left behind. They’re red barrels in a video game, so are they explosive? I don’t think Pokemon has confirmed that all red barrels are explosive. If they’re not full of explosion, what do you think is inside them?

capture-044 capture-045

“Oh no Roark specializes in Rock types.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

capture-046 capture-047
capture-048 capture-049

Spamigo had a look of deep concentration on his face for a few moments as he mulled over what Riley said. Hesitantly, he ask, “But wouldn’t Lucario be a good pick to fight a Steel-type because it’s Fighting-type?”

Riley stopped. “I meant metaphorically.”

capture-053
capture-050 capture-052
capture-029
capture-054

While slogging through the endless random battles, this happened:

capture-032

At level 37 Anomalo was set to learn his first Bug-type move. And it’s Fury Cutter . This is why that detour to get X-Scissor was so important.

capture-033

Alright, so I started a battle with two Ace Trainers, who send out this Staraptor/Medicham team. I don’t screenshot their dialog, or the first turn, but here’s what happened: Medicham and Staraptor dog-piled Riley’s Lucario and knocked it out almost immediately. It turns out Lucario really doesn’t like taking a High Jump Kick to the chin.

After withdrawing his fainted Lucario, Riley stepped back and crossed his arms over his chest, not seemed to notice Spamigo’s worried expression. “Aren’t… Don’t you have another Pokemon?”

“I find it’s more effective to train with one Pokemon at a-”

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN’T BRING ANOTHER POKEMON?!"

capture-034 capture-035

Now I’m panicking! In between the screaming internally and the shaking my fist at Riley and telling him he’s never allowed to partner up with me again, I remember that I do have a spread move I can try to cheese things with.

capture-036 capture-037

Extremely luckily for me Reina did not eat a Hi Jump Kick+Close Combat turn and get wombo combo’d out of existence.

capture-038

Thankfully the challenge was front-loaded in this Randomly Difficult Trainer Battle.

capture-041 capture-042

And that’s why Riley isn’t invited to my birthday party.

capture-055

Ah yes, Galactic Grunts! Probably the source of these troubles. We’ll just-

capture-056

ahem

We’ll just deal with them now.

capture-057 capture-058
capture-059
capture-060 capture-061
capture-062 capture-063
capture-064 capture-065
capture-066 capture-067

I’d take you more seriously if you didn’t just almost lose me the last battle, Riley.

capture-070

In contrast this isn’t even worth showing. Anomalo uses Swords Dance and then it and Lucario go to town, stop for lunch, do some leisurely shopping, and make their way back home.

The Grunts run away after losing, like Grunts do.

capture-076 capture-077

capture-078 capture-079

I think I went home to deposit someone and pick up this Egg. It’s a Riolu egg. Technically speaking there’s nothing in the rules that say I couldn’t hatch it and the Togepi egg to keep them around for moral support.

If you have a good nickname for a Riolu and/or Togepi to be our mascot/tagalong kid share it in the thread!

capture-082 capture-083
capture-084

I do take care on the way out, but I stand by what I said before about the invitation. The real reason I take care on the way out is that Anomalo is very close to level 40, which means he’s very close to…

capture-086 capture-087
capture-088 capture-089

Evolving!

I’ve always been a little torn on Armaldo’s design. On the one hand, something about the proportions (namely the big trunk and stumpy straight legs) scream classic Godzilla movie to me, and I like that.

On the other hand, Anorith hews very closely to the design of Anomalocaris and hearkens back to the oddities of form in the Cambrian era, a period which has always fascinated me. Losing the compound eyes and radial mouth and making it more conventional both adds something to the design and takes something away for me.

But you know what I don’t feel torn about?

capture-085 capture-090

These stat gains!

He’s lost 20 Speed, so the era of Anomalo randomly being faster than some Pokemon is likely over. But at minimum he’s gained 25 points everywhere, with a whopping 42 added to his Defense. This is the point where I’d say that Anomalo has truly come into his own and man am I glad for it.

NEXT TIME: Uncharted waters.

This is actually a very special update! Like I mentioned into the OP, I was originally posting this on another forum that has since been sadly closed. Up until now it’s been all my old material and screenshots. But this update covers the last time that I played before putting this on hiatus as I didn’t have a place to post.

capture-093

Going forward it’ll be all new material. I’m excited for you to join me! Who knows what will happen?! I mean, it’ll be Pokemon Platinum. I’m not dropping this thread to start LPing Magical Starsign or Infinite Space, be as they may DS JRPGs I remember fondly. But I have no more advance knowledge of how things will go than you do.

Also, if you have any suggestions to make, NOW! IS! THE! TIME!

UPDATE 21: THE RIDDLE OF STEEL

Welcome back my dear reader(s)! Since we are now moving into uncharted territory and we’ve had a few evolutions, I thought we should start this off with a T E A M U P D A T E!

capture-001 capture-002 capture-003

DASH! DASH! dan dan dadan
SCRAMBLE! DASH!

because that’s how the Great Mazinger them starts
and it’s big move is the Thunder Break
and that’s what i’ve been calling mina using thunderbolt

DON’T MAKE FUN OF ME OR SO HELP ME I’LL TAKE HER TO THE MOVE RELEARNER TO GIVE HER FIRE PUNCH AND SPEND THE REST OF THIS LP YELLING DRILL PRESSURE PUNCH!

Anyway whatever Mina Thunder Breaks oughta be left hurting, and she’s got Thunder Wave for utility now. Since she’s fully evolved she’ll start coming into some spread moves too.

capture-004 capture-005 capture-006

Claydol’s actually got balanced base Attack and Special Attack, although you’d never know it from the massively special slanted movelist it has.

Dogu leans into the Special side of things, and having some kind of ancient astronaut idol blasting beams out of its helmet suits me just fine.

capture-007 capture-008 capture-009

Reina’s got Surf in the first move slot and that’s all she needs. Kingdra doesn’t have particularly great Dragon moves by level-up, but we’ll get around that (she can get Draco Meteor if we’re desperate). She packs a potent Ice Beam as well.

capture-010 capture-011 capture-012

Seviper’s actually got balanced base Attack and Special Attack, although you’d never know it from the massively physically slanted movelist it has.

Now that we’ve pulled away from the early game where stats are not very differentiated, Sid’s lack of defenses is coming back to haunt him. If I have any speed boosting medicines I should give them to him along with the Quick Claw. If he does get that attack in, though, a good Return or (eventually) Poison Jab should put a hurting on something.

capture-013 capture-014 capture-015

Castellia gets to sit in front of physical attackers and wait them out, since she’s got few weaknesses and a lot of resistances. With Sturdy she’s guaranteed to set up a Light Screen, and would be guaranteed to apply Toxic if she didn’t always seem to take one or two turns to zero it in. If she’s not getting Chesto Berries I might pass her the lens so she could hit Toxic on the first try.

capture-016 capture-017 capture-018

Anomalo is here to crush whatever gets in his way. If he needs it, he’s got 220 attack and a bevy of good moves to put it to use. His vulnerability to some special types is a little rough to deal with, but he can just claw through enemies like the jaws of life vs. a flimsy car exterior, so I’m not that worried.

capture-001 capture-002

At any rate, it’s time to fight Shaq. I apologize for the images being slightly different in size, I had to change my process slightly (but I did learn how to make my Switch Pro Controller work with deSmuME so if you’d like to learn, let me know).

capture-003 capture-004
capture-005

Or if he has a steel body does that make him Metallo?

capture-006

Canalave Gym could nominally be called a maze, but really much like Pastoria Gym it’s a maze you solve be walking forwards. There really aren’t that many dead ends or loops.

capture-007 capture-008

I enjoy the implication that Spamigo just walks up to a Gym leader and yanks out the badge case to show off the goods.

capture-009 capture-010
capture-011 capture-012

He doesn’t have a sledgehammer I am immeasurably disappointed.

capture-015 capture-019

Byron’s team is somewhat geared to take advantage of Metal Sound lowering Special Defense, and he’s got multiple Flash Cannon Pokemon.

capture-020 capture-021

But he didn’t really do much to stop Dogu from melting his Magneton’s three brains.

capture-023

I forget that this Steelix has Ice Fang and Reflect probably wouldn’t save Dogu.

capture-024 capture-026
capture-027

But this Steelix forgets that it has Ice Fang too. But Dogu was low enough that trading blows didn’t work out.

capture-028 capture-029

But Reina’s more than enough!

capture-031
capture-032 capture-033

I’ll be honest with you, in my head Steel resists Water, and not the other way around. Also in my head Steel is weak to Electric, but I actually managed to remember that here. So I thought I was just going to hit the Bastiodon in its comparatively softer Special Defense, not drain most of it with a single Surf.

capture-035 capture-036
capture-037 capture-038

At least he didn’t give up!

capture-041 capture-042
capture-043

capture-044 capture-045

STRENGTH PUZZLE TIME YEAH!

capture-048 capture-049
capture-051

Reina can actually learn this, and I’m kind of considering it. It would give her something that can blast Ice pretty hard after she evolves.

capture-053 capture-054
capture-055 capture-056
capture-057

Feel like I should be telling this to my nephew if/when he ever gets into Pokemon.

capture-058 capture-059

“So why did they abandon the Iron Island mine?”

“Gravelers love to Selfdestruct there.”

capture-060 capture-061
capture-062 capture-063
capture-064

Yeah yeah, you have to say that to everyone who gets this Badge.

capture-065

It’d be real awkward if we’d washed out of beating Byron and were slinking out doing the walk of shame back to the Pokemon Center to heal up.

capture-066 capture-067
capture-068 capture-069

Hmm, that explains the distinctly plot-like rumble I’ve been hearing as I walk past the Library.

NEXT TIME: books zand papers

UPDATE 22: It’s Not A Lake Any More

Previously in the investigation…

capture-001

We beat Byron and then Barry wanted to talk to us at the library. I’m surprised Barry knows what a library is, he seems like the kind of person who listens to audibooks but at 2x speed because he’s in a hurry all the time.

capture-002 capture-003
capture-004

I slooooowly moseyed down to the Pokecenter to heal up just to spite him.

capture-005 capture-006
capture-007

“Or at least quieter than your friend.”

capture-008 capture-009
capture-010 capture-011

And then Rowan glares at Barry for three whole text boxes until Barry decides to stay.

“Well!” Rowan began to speak and began to pace beside the table, hands clasped behind his back like an instructor. “Now that everyone has decided to listen. You two may have run out on your adventure too quickly to remember this, but I specialize in the study of Pokemon evolution. Yet, for all that I have learned, I still have more questions than answers. What separates Pokemon that evolve from Pokemon that do not? Is it a process of simple maturity? Then what do we make of Pokemon which do not evolve, such as the Legendary Pokemon? Are they complete, perfect beings?”

Spamigo raised his hand: “So… since Sid hasn’t evolved yet does that mean he’s perfect?”

That only threw Rowan off his lecture for a moment. “You could draw that conclusion I suppose. But it is the Legendary Pokemon that I have asked you here for. The three lakes of Sinnoh are each said to contain a Mirage Pokemon.”

Spamigo had just opened his mouth to disagree, but the combination of Dawn’s glare and Barry’s elbow in the ribs kept him quiet.

Rowan chose not to notice at all and continue: “Any data on the Mirage Pokemon that you three could gather in your Pokedex would be of great help to my research.”

“Hey wait I didn’t get a Pokedex!” Barry blurted out faster than Spamigo could jab him with an elbow.

Rowan’s mustache twitched in a halfway threatening manner. “And just who was it that bolted from my lab saying something about how they would 'catch ‘em all’ before I could give them a Pokedex? But that is all water under the bridge. There are three lakes, three Mirage Pokemon, and three assistants. Dawn, if you would, please go to Lake Verity. Barry, you go to Lake Acuity, in the north.”

“YOU BET!” Barry boasted. “I was totally gonna catch all the lake Pokemon shuddup Spamigo for you as a thank-you for giving us our Pokemon I just… put it off a bit because I wanted to get tougher first!”

“I see,” came Rowan’s harrumph. “Well, I’m counting on you. Spamigo, that should leave you with Lake Valor, between Veilstone and Past-”

The only thing that was able to actually break the Professor’s unflappable calmness was the sudden, violent, yet short earthquake that rocked through the library in a matter of seconds.

capture-054

When the ground decided to be still again, Rowan set to making sure his assistants were unharmed, while Barry started frantically mashing buttons on the TV behind them until he stumbled onto a news channel.

capture-059 capture-060
capture-061

Is Platinum the most self-aware Pokemon game? It seems like it.

capture-066 capture-067
capture-073 capture-074
capture-075

“GrampsIgotarealbadfeelingaboutthisI’mgonnagocheckoutlakeAcuityandmakesurenothingbadhappenstheretooBYE!” The only thing faster than Barry’s speech was his pace in racing out of town.

“He really can’t sit still, can he?” Rowan turned to Spamigo with his moustache set at a stern angle. “Spamigo if you would, please hurry to Lake Valor. After an explosion like that, I can’t believe everything would be unharmed. But do not get in over your head, do you understand me? Dawn and I will join you after we finish at Lake Verity.”

Spamigo nodded and turned to leave town, only stopped by Dawn getting his attention: “Spamigo, you just… stay safe, okay?”

And for some reason it was Dawn’s request that made him feel guilty that he was almost certainly going to be fighting Team Galactic at the lake.

capture-096

A quick stop to get Birdon out, Fly, and immediately put Birdon away and here are at scenic Lake Valor.

capture-097

Which is kind of missing the lake right now. I’m not a geologist, but- Oh wait I do have a geology focus in my degree. Yeah you need water for a lake.

capture-098 capture-099
capture-100

Those fiends!

…I should’ve gone to see if they let you do the lakes in either order or if they have some railroading barricade at Verity.

capture-101 capture-102

That’s… one of the weaker threats I’ve heard in my life.

capture-110 capture-111

Although this Galactic Grunt treated the Magikarp with scorn, there was one with a hint of bravery in its blank stare and determination in it’s weak flops. He took it with him, and as he cared for the Magikarp, he slowly grew to be inspired how it always drove itself to jump higher and higher with each flop. He encouraged it, trained it, and one day after Team Galactic had long since been disbanded, he would form the first Magikarp Jump League to serve as a home for all who found friendship in the mighty leaps of the humble Magikarp.

capture-124

Anyway there’s a cave now revealed with a Galactic Commander inside.

He’s got a unique sprite I’m just assuming that’s an Commander.

capture-126 capture-127
capture-128 capture-129

The mystery man’s voice was so laden with scorn it was dripping. “So you’re the one who gave Jupiter and Mars such trouble. Hah! Those two only barely complete their missions with how much time they spend arguing with each other. But there’s a reason the boss entrusted this lake to me, Saturn, Team Galactic’s strongest Commander!”

capture-134 capture-135
capture-136 capture-137
capture-139 capture-141

Sid and this Golbat trade blows, but his Returns pack more of a punch than the Golbat’s Air Cutters, so it passes out first.

capture-146 capture-147

The text box auto-scrolled before I could capture it, but this Toxicroak pops out and its Anticipation kicks in. You know what hypothetical global counter I proposed for how many Croagunks and Toxicroaks shuddered and immediately ate a Supereffective OHKO?

capture-148 capture-149

Add one more to it.

capture-150 capture-151

capture-152

While Steel still isn’t weak to Electric like the type chart in my head goes, this Bronzor does not like Thunder Break.

capture-155 capture-156

As I was writing this update I just noticed the “Player” inclusion. What did I do that you don’t want to use my name?

capture-157 capture-158
capture-159 capture-160
capture-161 capture-162

The classic video game villain strategy of executing your evil plan faster than the heroes can put a stop it it.

Oh wait the Professor and Dawn are probably in danger aren’t they.

NEXT TIME: A Daring Rescue!

Update 23: The Daring Rescue!

Where last we left off, Professor Rowan and Dawn were presumably in danger because of Team Galactic, and it would look bad on our track record as academic assistants if anything happened to them.

capture-165

For some reason this game doesn’t apply lighting effects to the player sprite until a second or two after the Fly animation apparently ends. I am not sure why.

I am also not sure why I Flew into Twinleaf because I then had to run to Sandgem to get to a PC and deposit Birdon to make sure I didn’t break any of my own rules.

capture-166

But let’s get to the rescuing!

capture-167 capture-168
capture-169

Is Spamigo a bad enough dude to save President Dawnie?

There’s a few unimpressive grunts between us and the unselected player character avatar in distress.

capture-170 capture-173

My friend just make sure that you’re saying that to recognize your own objectives and focus on them, not just to save your ego. The latter path is not a growth mindset.

capture-179 capture-180

We’re just ignoring the possibility of the lake Pokemon being real, as that would be too damaging to Spamigo’s worldview to process right now and we don’t need the distraction.

capture-181 capture-182
capture-183

You know what Dawn? Fair.

capture-190 capture-191
capture-192 capture-193

You know, since we’re getting this Commander fights back-to-back, go ahead and queue up GET THEM again!

capture-194 capture-195
capture-196

Missing is not something you want to do when Mina’s electric heart is filled with the spirit of justice.

capture-198 capture-199

Neither is buffing the stat that she’s not hitting anyway.

capture-200

Now this… this is a familiar matchup. This takes me back.

capture-201 capture-202
capture-203

okay i didn’t need to go back that far

capture-204 capture-205

I don’t remember exactly when Sleep starts counting, but I left Mina in on the gamble it would be a short Sleep.

capture-207 capture-208
capture-209

It wasn’t but once again this Purugly’s reliance on its beefy contact moves proves its undoing and opens the door for karma to ruin it.

capture-211 capture-212

Because for one, it cannot scratch Castellia’s impregnable shell.

capture-213

For two, Castellia just ate the Berry it was saving for a rainy day well before there was even a cloud in the sky.

capture-216 capture-218
capture-220

For three, it failed every single Paralysis roll and never got to act again.

capture-222 capture-223

“Mars Mars MARS Mars what are you doing?” The Commander muttered to herself, hiding her face behind her hand. “The Windworks and here? This shouldn’t be happening to a Galactic Commander none of this matters!” Her change of tone was just as sudden as gesture she made to the grunts to tell them to move out. “We already captured the Pokemon of the lake and sent it to the Veilstone HQ!”

capture-231 capture-232
capture-233 capture-234

I love it when villains tell you exactly what they did.

capture-235 capture-236
capture-237 capture-238

So I’m thinking… Azelf is Farore, Mespirit is Din, and Uxie is Nayru. I should finish the Oracle games some day…

Anyway her job done Mars leaves.

capture-240 capture-241
capture-242 capture-243

“I mean… this is like the fifth? Sixth time?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Jubilife, Windworks, Eternia, Pastoria, Lake Valor, just now…”

capture-244 capture-245

I would hope that Barry got there before Team Galactic. Even going to a completely new town shouldn’t take him long.

capture-246 capture-247
capture-248 capture-249

I’m sure it won’t take long. How far away is Lake Acuity?

capture-250 capture-251

…ah.

Well we just got Strength and the plot’s off in that direction, so there’s probably a Strength boulder between us and there. Scarfy can’t learn Strength so…

capture-001 capture-002
capture-003 capture-004

Say hello to Jammerjab! Once a devotee to the resurrection of a dark god, the power of friendship a contractor gig has changed his ways!

capture-005 capture-006
capture-007

The jaunt through Mt. Coronet was not nearly as long as I remembered, but I suppose I was maybe confusing it with the next long trek through the mountain. Either way we start walking down the blizzardy slopes.

capture-008 capture-009
capture-010

Thankfully they put a rest stop halfway to Snowpoint. Although really, I had a decently fast Pokemon up front (Reina) and it wasn’t particularly hard not to get worn down by random battles in Hail. Nowhere near as bothersome as a cave dungeon.

capture-011 capture-012
capture-013 capture-014

Even with a coat and scarf, Spamigo was still shivering since the one thing he hadn’t planned for was being up to his knees in the snow. “A-aren’t you-”

capture-016 capture-017
capture-018 capture-019
capture-020 capture-021

And there goes Maylene. I’m sure she could punch out the cold with her fighting spirit, I’m not that worried.

capture-022 capture-023
capture-024

The odd random trainer battle is included because MAYBE it’s just recency bias or MAYBE I’m just crazy but it seems like there are an awful lot of Trainers on the route trying to hit you with Burn or Poison. Which is kind of a jerk move in constant Hail!

capture-026 capture-027

Oh, and Mina learned Signal Beam. Grass resists Electric, you say? We need more good answers to Psychic or Dark types, you say? Don’t care Mina’s unlocking the limiter on her Photon Power engine.

capture-028

I… forgot this was here completely. I’m glad I didn’t! In the cabin there is a Hiker who dropped their HM08. If you’re honest he gives you the Icicle Plate. I mean I won’t turn down a gift and it’s a nice looking plate and all, but it’s just too fancy for my everyday use, y’know? And I don’t have enough fancy dinners to justify having good china on hand to break out. It’s just gonna gather dust in the closet at this point.

I suppose that’s one benefit of the Random Team Run, I don’t have to worry about seeing or capturing everything so I don’t need to stick around these routes longer than necessary.

capture-050 capture-051

So we can make it to Acuity Lakefront without being ground into the snow. As we get close to the lake…

capture-052 capture-053
capture-054 capture-055
capture-056 capture-057

This is just a silly bit of pacing: Barry’s going to be puttering around the lakefront until Galactic arrives, or be battling them while I go battle the Gym, get the badge, and finally get to the lake.

capture-062 capture-063

Maylene did not freeze to death in the snow, she’s just waiting to warm up before training with Candice so Candice can figure out how to beat Fighting types. Which I mean, fair. In my Emerald run, my Heracross and Hariyama just tore through the Ice-type Elite 4 like a bull through a china shop.

capture-067

Snowpoint’s always messed with my head. With isometric games like this, a lot of them put higher elevations towards the top of the screen, because it’s easier to show going up that way. So at some point, my brain just registered going north as going uphill. But what’s actually happening when you leave Mt. Coronet is you’re going down the slopes towards sea level, which is right here in Snowpoint. But my brain thought going north is going up, but then there’s the sea, and the sea can’t change altitude!

Anyway, next time I hope grinding up and getting the Badge don’t take so long that Barry gets his clock cleaned by Team Galactic.

NEXT TIME: Ice To Snow You Better

UPDATE 24: The cold never bothered me anyway.

Because Ice has some critical weaknesses.

What are you doing? It’s cold out there. Come on in and start reading.

capture-004

Spent most of my grinding time right outside of Snowpoint. Elected not to have Sid learn Haze since that’s kind of counter-intuitive to our plans.

capture-007

Sure, the Hail is kind of an issue. But most of the wild Pokemon being 8-9 levels below my team turned into a blessing. If my team wasn’t one-shotting them they were doing huge chunks of damage, so passing the Shell Bell around allowed me to keep everyone topped off and mostly negate the effects of Hail.

capture-008 capture-009
capture-010

It’s not only an ice tile maze, you also have to slide down the ramps to bust through the snowballs and clear the path to Candice. This is the first Gym I would actually say has a “puzzle” and isn’t just solved by walking forward.

capture-011 capture-012
capture-013

We… didn’t bring any Fire attacks. Fire types are mildly a trap here. You know what’s not a trap here?

capture-014

Anomalo. He’s neutral against most everything Candice’s Pokemon have, and his attacks actually line up quite well against what she has. I may never remember that Steel isn’t weak against Electric, but I will always remember that Rock beats Ice. What doesn’t want to eat a Rock Slide is vulnerable to X-Scissor, too.

And just think: His moveset would be so much worse if I hadn’t broken out the TMs.

You think multiple TMs get served with the same dipping sauce or multiple ones? I mean maybe you want the ranch for a Fire TM but do you think you’d want the cream gravy for a Normal TM?

capture-015 capture-016

While you ponder that, here’s Candice.

capture-017 capture-018
capture-019 capture-020
capture-021 capture-022

capture-023

What will Anomalo do?

capture-025 capture-026
capture-027

Knock this Sneasel out since it made the mistake of being 4x weak to Fighting.

capture-028 capture-029
capture-030

This Piloswine takes two hits. It’s speed doesn’t actually matter here, Avalanche is a lower priority move.

capture-031

Big ol’ coniferous tree monster. But is being Grass-type a good thing around Anomalo?

capture-032 capture-033

Oof, looks like it felt that one!

capture-034 capture-035

And they’re both in the red! But we just saw Anomalo has the speed edge, so just need to-

capture-036 capture-037

capture-038

…I don’t like you any more.

capture-039 capture-040
capture-042

You probably don’t want that Grass type around Sid either!

capture-043 capture-044
capture-046

The Quick Claw I have on Sid kicks in and guarantees him the damage to take the Abomasnow out.

capture-047 capture-048

Frosslass is a cool (heh) Ghost type that I’ve always wanted to use but never got around to. Up there with Mismagius.

capture-049 capture-051
capture-052

I thought I’d get lucky and this would be one of the times that Double Team does nothing but waste a turn. It was not.

capture-053 capture-054
capture-055 capture-056

But the Quick Claw kicks in again and Sid doesn’t even miss! But it wasn’t enough. It was a lot, but a lot isn’t enough.

capture-057 capture-058

You did good regardless, Sid.

capture-060

I’m annoyed at this Froslass, but we can have some fun putting the screws to it. Stick it with Toxic to have be constantly ticking down.

capture-062 capture-063

Set up Light Screen to make it deal almost no damage.

capture-064 capture-065

Unless you have more Full Restores in the tank, I don’t think so.

capture-066 capture-067
capture-071 capture-072

This battle goes how Castellia wants every battle to go, with the enemy rebuffed by her fortified walls which were said by contemporary chroniclers to be so wide at the top that two chariots could pass by each other and neither was in danger of collision or falling off.

capture-075 capture-076

Until they are so weakened by the siege that a simple sally forth battle takes them out. It works in Total War too!

capture-077 capture-078
capture-079 capture-080

Focus, will, unusual Pokemon selections, and hunkering down behind an invincible bagworm.

capture-081 capture-082
badges
capture-084 capture-085

Right! Helping our best friend fight Team Galactic. Boy I hope we’re not too late.

capture-086 capture-089

60 power, 100% accuracy, lower priority, doubles damage if the user is hit. Nobody on this team can learn it! Which is especially surprising since the list of Pokemon that can learn Avalanche includes Aggron and Rhydon. You’re telling me you can’t picture Anomalo on a snowboard racing down a mountain slope just in front of an avalanche?

capture-093 capture-094
capture-095

Hmmmmmmmmmmmnah.

Well you know what I’m worried about Barry, so let’s keep this update going a little longer.

capture-096 capture-097

Jammerjab skills up with Rock Climb. I probably could’ve given Scarfy Rock Climb to save Waterfall for Jammerjab but I don’t think a trip to the move deleter will break the schedule.

capture-098 capture-099
capture-100 capture-101

So do you think he digs his teeth into the rock face, or…?

capture-102 capture-104

Oh good the climactic battle hasn’t started yet maybe we can have a partner bat-

capture-105 capture-106
capture-107 capture-108

…oh. Maybe. Maybe we shouldn’t have ground those last few levels.

capture-109 capture-110
capture-111

Are… we not battling?

capture-112 capture-113
capture-114 capture-115
capture-116 capture-117

So to be clear: At every lake we were too late and Team Galactic Pokemonapped the lake Pokemon (that doesn’t exist).

We could be a better hero.

capture-118 capture-119
capture-120

“I… thought I was going to the the best trainer. I won the first time and got through all the Gyms… I thought I was going to save Uxie. It was hurting so I ran in to fight Galactic, but… I wasn’t strong enough.” Barry let out his words with a sigh, and Spamigo didn’t try to cut him off, just placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. It was rare that Barry didn’t rush through his sentences.

“I need to try harder. But not just try harder. I’m going to do it right. For my team too. I’m gonna beat Team Galactic and win against you again, Spamigo!,” Barry picked himself up and finally pulled his gaze away from his shoes, rushing off at the pace of a normal person, which would otherwise be glacially slow for him.

capture-127 capture-128

So…

capture-129

Daring Rescue, Part 2?

capture-001 capture-002
capture-003

Sing because you want to, Idol Grace. Sing so at the end of the day you’re proud of what you sang.

UPDATE 25: Spamigo, This Is A Sneaking Mission, Get In Lots Of Pokemon Battles.

capture-130 capture-131
capture-132 capture-133

Last time, we were going to do a daring rescue of the Lake Pokemon that I guess have to admit exist now, but the FIENDS of Team Galactic locked their doors! But no fear, Looker has the door to their warehouse! Why does Looker have the key to their warehouse?

Look the Polizia Internazionale has their methods.

capture-134 capture-135
capture-136
capture-137

“You are needing to prepare?”

“Mostly I’m surprised you found something.”

capture-142

Quick Item rundown: Anomalo’s got the Wide Lens still to make his Rock Tombs basically 100% accurate. Mina’s got the Quick Claw back. Dogu has the Mind Plate because extra damage on his Psychics is just gravy. Sid has the Shell Bell now so if I can’t stop him from taking lumps, I can at least let him heal up each time he dishes out a lump. Reina and Castellia don’t have anything because I can’t think of anything to give them. Not going to evolve Reina just yet. But we’re close.

capture-143 capture-144
capture-145 capture-146

Once we get inside Looker excitedly opens the door.

capture-147

It’s funny because this is the seventh or eighth time an adult has told us not to endanger ourselves or get involved in the whole Team Galactic thing.

capture-151

I’d like to imagine that Spamigo’s slightly shaking but still going.

capture-152 capture-153

I wonder if this line was the same in the Japanese version. If so, then I’d like to imagine that the writer finished that line, snapped their fingers, and wrote down a note about what they’d do for the plot in the next generation.

capture-154

This door is locked. Looker didn’t give us the key, either.

capture-155 capture-156

I think this is my favorite Grunt in the whole place. “Man, it’s just not fun any more, go ahead if you want.”

capture-161

But maybe most of these Grunts are feeling uninspired, because a lot of the rotating ones don’t rotate fast enough to catch me sneaking around.

capture-163 capture-164
capture-165

If you remember my story about the Scientist that ended my first Nuzlocke run, you might understand why a Scientist sending a Kadabra out sends an involuntary shiver down my spine.

Even though at this point Castellia’s really got nothing to fear from a Kadabra unless it has, like, Flamethrower.

And Kadabra can’t learn Flamethrower.

capture-166

The key doesn’t take very long to find but I forgot what I was actually supposed to be doing with it so I end up wandering around in the Galactic base for a while.

capture-167 capture-168
capture-169

One more Croagunk/Toxicroak on the “Anticipation kicked in and it immediately got KO’d.”

capture-170 capture-171

Poor grunt. I wonder if he’ll get knocked down to having to use a Purrloin.

capture-184 capture-185
capture-186 capture-187

Ah yes, I too know how it feels to have marketing push down a list of phrases you should be using on your LinkedIn profile.

I’m back in the front building instead of coming through the storage warehouse because I got that turned around.

capture-188 capture-189
capture-190

You think it’s an evil Team Galactic TV room but actually the same clique of 5 people always take it over during their breaks and put on celebrity gossip. Not even evil celebrity gossip.

capture-192 capture-193

This however, clearly looks like an evil book report:

capture-204

Seems a little unfair that Dialga gets Sunrise, Sunset But Legally Distinct and Palkia gets the full on that which is not dead can ever lie, but what do I know. Maybe Gamefreak had to balance things out because the Dialga topper stylus was cooler looking. Go ahead and fite me people who preordered Pearl.

capture-207

Well… this looks like an important plot development. Bit of a shorter update today, but we’ll be back with a longer one next time!

NEXT TIME: Big Speeches And Big Battles

UPDATE 26: The Great Big Ghiren Zabi Speech Scene

capture-208

Hello! When last we left off, we were about to crash Team Galactic’s big evil rally.

capture-209 capture-210

“Aren’t, uh… Aren’t we going to get spotted here?”

“I have witnessed never Team Galactic grunts to be particularly observant.”

capture-211 capture-212

capture-232 capture-233
capture-234

Before any of you get any ideas nobody siegs a Zeon in my house.

capture-235

Why didn’t we get caught? Look it’s really clear one side’s the entrance and the other side is the exit and Galactic Grunts aren’t going to mess that up.

capture-236 capture-237

“But the astoundingness of the performance confuses with its message. To make a world for Team Galactic and only? And what is it that is incomplete about this world? It is so preposterous and makes my head spin. But have no fear, investigating this matter is a job for the Pulizija Internazzjonali. Of which I am a member. Therefore it is my job to do the investigation here.”

capture-244 capture-245
capture-246

I mean we came all the way to Team Galactic’s evil base, we’re not going to leave now.

capture-247 capture-248

…I do not want to know why this sign is necessary.

capture-253 capture-254

Doesn’t take long to find Cyrus though!

capture-255 capture-256

With all the heroism Spamigo could muster into his voice and Wilhelmina at his side he burst into the room and dramatically yelled, “Cyrus!”

capture-257 capture-258
capture-259 capture-260
capture-261 capture-262
capture-263 capture-264

…Harsh but understandable.

capture-265 capture-266
capture-267 capture-268
capture-269 capture-270
capture-271 capture-272
capture-273 capture-274
capture-275 capture-276

So Cyrus is crazy bananas.

capture-277 capture-278

And we’re battling now.

capture-279 capture-280
capture-281 capture-282

This Sneasel really needed to score a crit with its Slash to make Reina feel the attack. And uh, it didn’t.

capture-286 capture-287
capture-288 capture-289

It’s funny how Cyrus mocks emotions and sentimentality but then has a Pokemon with a happiness-based evolution. Some one missed a trick on the ol’ gameplay-story integration there.

capture-290 capture-291
capture-292 capture-293

Mina rolls higher on the second Thunderbolt and gets the one-shot in.

capture-295 capture-296
capture-297

Feels like Static has kicked in way more in this run than it has in my other Pokemon runs. But then I suppose this is the longest I’ve used a Pokemon with Static.

capture-298 capture-299
capture-300

Mina also rolls high enough for the one-shot again.

capture-301 capture-302
capture-303 capture-304

And… Mina’s electric heart of justice, Sid’s ability to bite things, Anomalo mastering the path of the sword, Castellia’s iron bulwarks, Reina’s power over the seas, and Dogu can shoot death beams from his eyes.

capture-305 capture-306
capture-307 capture-308
capture-309 capture-310
capture-311

Ah yes the part in every Random Team Run when I get the Master Ball and have no use for it either.

What am I catching?

capture-312 capture-313
capture-314 capture-315
capture-316 capture-317
capture-318 capture-319
capture-320 capture-321
capture-322

Right now I’d imagine Spamigo is wondering why he couldn’t just have a criminal syndicate to deal with.

capture-325 capture-326
capture-327

…Well this just got Umbrella-y in a hurry.

capture-329 capture-330
capture-331

It probably stings when you tell people there’s no magical Pokemon in the lake and then you see it hooked up in the painmatron.

capture-332

So let’s rescue it?

capture-333 capture-334
capture-335 capture-336

Turns out the answer is he hates you!

capture-337 capture-338
capture-339 capture-340

So, Saturn.

capture-341

His Golbat gets instantly mind-whammied. But then I spend too long playing with my food, as it were.

capture-344 capture-345
capture-347

I keep forgetting The game keeps bugging out and allowing Psychic moves to hit a Dark/Poison type.

capture-348

And funnily enough Anomalo’s moveset is all resisted by Toxicroak.

capture-354

Not that he doesn’t give as good as he’s getting regardless, though. But I mean, it’s a Toxicroak, so we know what must ultimately happen to it.

capture-357 capture-358
capture-359 capture-360

Note that Dogu came out too late for Anticipation, so don’t actually put this on the Anticipation OHKO chart.

capture-361 capture-362
capture-363 capture-364

We could talk to Charon here, but Charon’s the worst character in this game, so we’re not.

capture-370

Push the button, Gordon. Man that video is twelve years old and I still smile thinking about it.

capture-371 capture-372
capture-373 capture-374

The Lake Pokemon that don’t do exist float forwards and warp away because why would you stay in this creepy mad science lab?

capture-377 capture-378
capture-379 capture-380

NEXT TIME: Open up display settings because we’re going to start getting some resolution.

UPDATE 27: Name One Good Thing That Happened On Top Of A Mountain I Dare You

Welcome back, dear reader(s). Let’s start the long road to wrapping this up, why don’t we? We’re going to have a few more longer updates before we close out the plot.

capture-001

Before we start… There’s a hard decision to make. Going up Mt. Coronet requires Strength and Rock Climb, and by the rules I’ve set for myself I am allowed to catch Pokemon for HM use so that I don’t have to spread HMs out on my six. In hindsight, there was a case to be made for leaving Dogu back, but in the moment I reluctantly put Sid into the PC to bring out Jammerjab.

I mean, having a magic quarterstaff to lift boulders and bounce on slopes sounds useful.

capture-002

We start at the entrance to Mt. Coronet just north of Oreburgh.

When I was deciding who to bench, Anomalo was not a consideration at all. Why?

capture-003 capture-004

Rock Slide, baby! I’ve been planning for this since the RNG gave me an Anorith to use. 80% Accuracy isn’t great, but 75 power plus STAB is.

capture-006 capture-007

And Anomalo was already holding onto the Wide Lens anyway.

capture-008

Well that looks… attention-grabbing. Let’s scoot on around to there.

capture-009

Of course.

capture-010 capture-011

Do you think that there’s a route up to the top of Mt. Coronet if you knock down the cave painting in Celestic Town? Could we have gotten a shortcut up here if we’d let them blow the cave painting up?

capture-012 capture-013
capture-014 capture-015

“Yeah I know he said he was going to blow up the universe and make a new universe for just himself.”

“I do not remembering that part of his speech…?”

“I chased him down and we had a battle and then I let the lake Pokemon go.”

capture-016 capture-017
capture-018 capture-019

Oh okay whew. I thought Mina would have a breakdown if we had to battle someone else trying to stop the bad guys.

capture-020 capture-021
capture-022 capture-023

Gonna have to say that although we joke about everything being solved by Pokemon battles/card games on motorcycles/Netbattles/Robattles, lampshading it in such a way still strikes me as odd. Like if you never bring it up I wouldn’t think about it and it wouldn’t bother me, but when you drag the premise logic into question…

Also there’s not really a reason he couldn’t come with. You’ll see.

capture-024 capture-025
capture-026

Oh yeah that’s uh… That’s the one that raises the encounter rate? I’m not looking it up.

capture-029 capture-030

Here’s the inside of Mt. Coronet. It’s full of random battles and nonrandom battles (you should expect Galactic Grunts by now). A lot of spinners are not very motivated here either, and if I hadn’t gotten lost partway up I could’ve avoided a good deal of the trainers.

capture-031 capture-032

Most tell you to give up. After Anomalo or Mina paste their Pokemon in two hits at most.

capture-036

There could be an argument for doubling Castellia’s Defense, but I didn’t think of it at the time.

capture-037 capture-038

God created man, Pokemon made them equal.

capture-042 capture-043

I’ve got a grudge against this Galactic Grunt in particular because they LOOK there’s a puzzle to get them to move… but there isn’t. Where do you actually go?

capture-046 capture-047

Did YOU see the Rock Climb wall on your first visual pass? If you did send me video evidence because I spent like 30 minutes walking through the same 4 screens trying to figure out how to go up.

capture-048 capture-049
capture-050

(battle)

capture-051 capture-052

I love the “Man you’re just like, really killing the vibe here, man,” Galactic Grunts.

You could probably just cut out the whole quote and the statement would be true.

capture-058

Add another one to the Ancicpation tally!

capture-061

Hmm… Seems plotty around here.

capture-062 capture-063
capture-064 capture-065

Epic duel, you say?

capture-066 capture-067

Yeah that’s how much they took off of Mina and Castellia.

I love 'em because of the stuff they say not that they’re all good battlers.

capture-070 capture-071

Oh boy.

capture-072 capture-073
capture-074
capture-075 capture-076
capture-077

Looks like we’re in for a two-on-one but in comes Barry for the assist!

capture-078 capture-079
capture-080 capture-081
capture-082 capture-083

capture-084

capture-085

capture-086

Together, Mars and Jupiter do actually become more than the sum of their parts. Mapiter? Jurs?

capture-087

There’s a running theme for the next few battles: I didn’t look ahead to see what the leading Pokemon were. Dogu was not a good choice for any of them. I switch to Castellia on the Bug Bite vs. Psychic Type theory. Also:

“Barry, where’s the bird?”

“Munchlax can take whatever they’re gonna thr-”

“BARRY WHERE’S THE BIRD?!”

capture-088 capture-092

But then they go and do this! Well, we know how to handle screens around here.

capture-095 capture-096

Now you have a damage reduction, now you don’t.

Meanwhile Munchlax…

capture-094 capture-097

Well it’s soaking up damage real well.

capture-098 capture-099
capture-100

Put the barrier moves down or SO HELP ME!

capture-101

Oh. You.

It goes after Munchlax here.

capture-103 capture-105
capture-106 capture-107

Now that? That feels good.

capture-108 capture-109

Anomalo’s getting low but honestly taking out that Purugly is more than enough.

capture-111 capture-112
capture-113

Munchlax finally goes down. Will Barry send out That Bird next?

capture-114 capture-115

While you wonder about that, Anomalo gets in some more damage and one of those Bronzors puts up another friggin’ barrier.

capture-116 capture-117
capture-118

It can keep Reflect up, we’ll send in a special attacker.

capture-119 capture-121

That Bird wastes no time in doing what it normally does: A lot of damage.

Also, the Golbat was Mars’ last Pokemon, and now we’ve turned this from a 2-on-2 into a 2-on-1. Unlike Liza & Tate, Mapiter/Jurs can’t share Pokemon slots.

Reina probably wasn’t the best choice to send out because…

capture-125 capture-126
capture-127

Well That Bird did plenty anyway.

capture-129

I do have a good long think about this, but I’d rather Anomalo had access to Swords Dance to double his Attack more than I want to replace any other move that he only got via TM.

Also he’s only just now learning Slash.

capture-130 capture-133

Luckily, Flying type means I don’t need to immediately hit the Surf button while his Rapidash is out.

capture-135 capture-136

I wait a turn. Surf technically don’t even take the Rapidash out, that was the Poison Jab.

capture-138 capture-139
capture-142 capture-143

Mina doesn’t even get a chance to act as this Heracross takes the Skuntank to ground and just pummels the ever loving snot out of the walking fart joke.

capture-144 capture-145
capture-146 capture-147

I mean I’ve already beat Cyrus twice, how hard can round three be?

It’s harder.

capture-148 capture-149
capture-150

Uh… Barry I’ve got like 15 Moomoo Milks in my bag.

capture-153 capture-154
capture-155

Barry took off at his usual breakneck pace away from the Spear Pillar temple, probably running over a few Galactic Grunts on his way down the mountain. Jupiter and Mars joined Spamigo in staring incredulously.

Jupiter broke the silence first: “Wow, that’s cold.”

“Seriously,” Mars added. “Even we can get along long enough to battle.”

capture-156

Oh right, stopping Cyrus. We’ll get to that… next update.

NEXT TIME: It Gets Story

I am extremely sorry to say that there will not be an update this weekend. Last week not only did my schedule change but I also learned that through work there was a very real chance I had been working in close proximity to someone with COVID-19. I haven’t gotten my test results back, but I haven’t developed symptoms yet and it doesn’t seem to have spread to others in the company. Nevertheless I spent most of my time scheduling testing and getting prepared for if I did have it, so I could not work on the update as much. I hope to be back next week.

PSA stay safe and don’t have to get a swab test they hurt.

UPDATE 28: I Would’ve Been Fine With Just One Dimension Honest

Hello! Just to follow up to the health concern in my previous post: My test result and the test result of the person I’d been working most closely with both came back negative. And we’ve not developed symptoms in the past two weeks.

Since there’s a lot of words in this section, I thought I’d try something a little stylistically different. Sound off if you feel a emotion above the normal baseline strength!

capture-156v

Despite being atop the peak of Mt. Coronet, there was no wind blowing through the old ruins. The air felt unnaturally still, forced into silence by powers greater than nature. As Cyrus stood there with a loop of red chain in either hand, it lent his voice a booming quality, as though his words could reach from the surface to space.

“Everything is ready for the creation of a new world. Now, all will end. And everything will begin. With this, the Red Chain made from the crystals of the three lake Pokemon… And this, the Red Chain I replicated with technological means… With these Red Chains I will pry open the portal to another dimension! I command that you unleash your power for me!”

capture-164

He held both chains aloft, and they began to burn with an inner light and rapidly spin in rings above his head.

capture-165 capture-166
capture-167

capture-169 capture-170
capture-171

The space in front of Cyrus warped, twisted, and finally burst into two flashes of light. When that faded, two titans stood in front of Cyrus in glowing fields that seemed to restrain them. They both struggled to stand as the field pulled them down, but their gaze never wavered from Cyrus. The expression in their eyes was enough to freeze Spamigo on an instinctual level.

“I’ve waited so long for this moment, Dialga and Palkia!” Cyrus sounded almost conversational in his triumph, uncaring of the strain on the Pokemon of legend. “Shaping the world is a double spiral of time and space. Yes, the very things you have the ability to control! You will do my bidding! I will have your abilities as mine! With the power I wield, I will create an entirely new world!”

Cyrus took a step forwards, but the behemoths were locked in place. “The incomplete and ugly world we have now will disappear. I am resetting everything to zero. Nothing can remain. It is all for making the ultimate world, a world of complete perfection. Not so vague and incomplete as spirit can remain.”

capture-183 capture-184
capture-187 capture-189

A trio of lilting cries rang out across the air. Uxie, Azelf, and Mespirit raced towards the mountain, orbiting above the platform. Whether it was just psychological or something more, their appearance broke Spamigo from his awed spell. He even managed to take a few steps forward as he helled “Cyrus! Stop!”

“Who will stop me? You?” Cyrus turned without haste to face Spamigo. “The Pokemon of the lakes? With all your worthless powers combined perhaps you could stand against Dialga or Palkia alone, but not both. But now, Spamigo…”

Perhaps Cyrus thought his smile was magnanimous, but that couldn’t have been further from the truth. “You have been a constant pain in my side, but even you will be forgiven. After all, there will be no spirit in my new world. All spirit will be stripped away. From you, from your Pokemon, from all the world! It is time! My dream will be…!”

Cyrus paused as the air suddenly changed. Both he and Spamigo looked around confused. There was more pressure on their skin and eardrums, while the hairs on their skin stood up from electric charge.

capture-208 capture-209
capture-210 capture-211
capture-212

Shadows broke away from the sources on the ground and pooled together into a disc of blackness. Perhaps it was a pit, but there was no way to see the walls and tell. Two spiteful red eyes lit within the shadows, and they mounded up with red spikes. Dialga and Palkia watched the shadow warily… but without the fear that Spamigo felt.

“A Pokemon that can only exist as a shadow…?” Cyrus’ tone was musing, and entirely too unconcerned for the circumstances. “Regardless, this effort is rash and foolish. I have harnessed the powers of Dialga and Palkia!”

capture-217 capture-218
capture-219

Time huhg like a stuttering video, with Cyrus’ last syllable hanging in the air. The lake Pokemon, even Dialga and Palkia were frozen. The only thing in motion was the shadow as it lunged forward without warning, blanketing the platform in pitch darkness and a roar of rushing wind.

capture-220 capture-221

Cynthia ran to the shadowed pit, now a portal, heavily out of breath. Spamigo barely noticed: When he looked at the pillars they were as perfectly straight as when he arrived, but as soon as his focus shifted they warped and twisted.

capture-223 capture-224
capture-226

Uxie and Azelf dove directly into the portal, but Mespirit circled around Spamigo and Cynthia, lingering for a moment before flipping back and into the swirling pit.

capture-227 capture-228

“When the world was made, Dialga and Palkia appeared… Where did they go now? Doesn’t matter. There was a third Pokemon that appeared too, one that was equally powerful but never to be spoken of: Giratina.” Cynthia tried to explain as calmly as she could considering how reality was twisting around them and how out of breath she was from running up the mountain.

Spamigo slowly nodded and asked, “Is… is that what took Cyrus?”

“You saw it? That’s…” Cynthia shook her head to clear her thoughts, slowly walking over to the portal and glancing into it. “That’s probably why everything’s wrong now. Giratina was supposed to live in another world, one opposite of ours. They were never meant to be linked… But now this portal is here. The distortion will spread… And probably mean the end of our world.”

He could have come up with any reason to leave, but Spamigo walked up beside her, looking at the glimpse of the other world at the far end of the portal. “So… we need to go through, don’t we?”

capture-241 capture-242
capture-243

On the other side there was no wind, no moving air. The stone platforms hovering in the distance would vanish when looked directly at, only staying in view on the edges of Spamigo’s vision. One floated along, blinking back to its original position after a few moments, caught in a loop.

“There’s no Pokemon here… And this place isn’t stable.” This world seemed to be the first thing that gave Cynthia pause.

“Let’s just find Giratina fast and-”

capture-250 capture-251
capture-252 capture-253
capture-256

So, the Distorion World.

capture-258

I dig it!

capture-263 capture-264

The Distortion World is kind of pushing the bounds of what a segment can be in a Pokemon game, but after a few years I enjoyed coming back to it. The weirdness is a plus to me.

capture-267 capture-268
capture-269 capture-270

The camera angle switching and walking on walls mean at least that I feel acutely just how far from reality this all is.

Although when you still can only move in the cardinal directions, moving visually diagonally is tricky to figure out. I never moved the right direction the first time the camera changed in all of these segments.

capture-273 capture-274

Spamigo caught up to Cynthia on one of those sideways planes. Where they connected, it just seemed like one platform a short hop away from another on the same level. It wasn’t until he got a few steps away that the world twisted, and the ground he was now standing on appeared perpendicular to the platform he’d just been on. But there was never a moment of movement, nothing that threw off his sense of balance or said that reality was twisting itself around. He chose not to think about it too long.

“There was… supposed to be a world on the other side of ours. This world. But… why?” Cynthia looked around at the confusing sky. “There’s nothing here but Giratina.”

Spamgio ventured a guess, “Maybe there’s more to it? And this is just a place where everything’s twisted because of…”

“Maybe. We need to hurry and find the right way down. Let’s split up. Yell if you find something!” Cynthia set her shoulders again, and kept on the path with Spamigo not far behind.

capture-283 capture-284

What he didn’t expect was to find Cyrus standing on one of the paths, seething. He seemed aware of Spamigo’s presence, even if he barely registered it in favor of muttering to himself in a low, half-crazed tone.

“That Pokemon brought me here, abandoned me here… Was all it wanted to interfere with my plans?” His attention swung to Spamigo in an unnervingly reptilian way, swiveling his eyes first with his head following later. “You. Do you understand the concept of genes?”

Spamigo had been tensed for a battle, Pokeball already in hand. A basic science question came out of left field for him, but he managed a curt nod that nevertheless made Cyrus roll his eyes.

It seemed his monologing would have continued regardless of whatever Spamigo indicated. “I’m sure you do. The building blocks of life… Two chains of information in a spiral, one could repair the other but they can’t exist without the other. This bizarre world, the opposite of ours… This is the other chain opposite our world. Without one world the other cannot exist. That must be why that shadowy Pokemon interfered with my plans. It must have made this world. Yes… If I defeat it, nothing protect this world, and NOTHING will stop me from changing our world!”

capture-311
capture-314

So do I want to know what the plants are or how they’re growing(?) here? I’m not asking for the details I’m asking if I want to know.

capture-316 capture-317
capture-318

You know what I start to wonder the longer I replay this section?

capture-322 capture-323

When did the Giratina as the antimatter dragon Satan Pokemon start? Because the read of these events is that Giratina intervened to stop the whole, y’know, reality being destroyed thing.

capture-324 capture-325

You can argue that is a self-centered act (I mean, I’d probably save reality because that’s where my stuff is and we have cute animals), but as we’ll see, it doesn’t look like Giratina is either evil or the villain-but-not-really-because-the-writers-obviously-want-you-to-sympathize type.

capture-327 capture-328

capture-329

Also I just love this little crazy waterfall segment. The extreme camera change is the thing that most sells the fact you really are descending.

capture-330 capture-331

So Giratina being the destroyer puzzles me a bit now.

capture-332 capture-333
capture-334 capture-335

Given that we’re still only halfway through my screenshots folder for this update and we still have some major battles upcoming (spoiler)… This seems like a good stopping point.

NEXT TIME: It only gets worse from here on in…

UPDATE 29: There Were No More Worlds To Conquer. There Never Were Any To Begin With.

capture-336

Cynthia and Cyrus squared off across from each other. Perhaps the lighting could have dramatically framed them, the wind sent their cloaks dramatically billowing. But in this strange dimension there was only a flat, shadowless illumination and the air was utterly still.

“Why do you want to ‘fix’ the world so badly?” Cynthia’s tone was as cold and challenging as her gaze. “If you’re that unhappy you could find somewhere quiet and live alone by yourself.”

Cyrus’s voice had twisted into a snarl, and the hateful, agitated way he stared at Cynthia and Spamigo was a far cry from the cold confidence he’d exuded at the Spear Pillar. “Why would I have to be the one to leave? It is the world that is incomplete, it is the world that is broken! Removing what is incomplete, that is th-”

" YOU COULD CHANGE! "

The outburst caught both adults by surprise. Starting to tremble with anger, the words poured out of Spamigo as soon as they entered his thoughts. “The only thing broken and incomplete here is YOU! You’re the one that gave up on the world. You- Everyone on Team Galactic that believes in you! Everything you know how to do- You could be the one fixing the world! You could be better than this!”

Of the two adults staring at Spamigo in shock after his outburst, Cynthia was the first one to recover her composure, letting out a short laugh and simply adding, “What he said.”

That comment pushed Cyrus over the breaking point. "Why should I be the one to change? The world is wrong! Not me! This is my mission to correct this flawed world and I will not be stopped! Not by the lake Pokemon, not by Giratina, and not by you! "

capture-346
capture-347

You could certainly pull up the Cyrus battle music and play it here, and it would be very good. But, if you’d consider an alternative, might I suggest Archnemesis from the Yakuza 0 soundtrack?

capture-348

So you remember what I said a while ago about leaving Dogu in front when I shouldn’t have?

capture-349 capture-350

Well… Houndoom is still a Fire-type. And Dogu knows AncientPower because I haven’t found anything worth replacing it with, so maybe this can-

capture-351 capture-352
capture-353

Y’know what fine screw this Reina just Surf this thing out.

capture-354 capture-356
capture-357

Y-
You-
ANOMALO! WE ARE NOT BEING NICE ANY MORE!

capture-358 capture-359
capture-360

Ah, a Water/Flying type. I know how to handle this. We’ll just-

capture-361

capture-362 capture-364

Oh thank God.

capture-365

Now, this Weavile… can’t actually do anything against Castellia.

capture-369 capture-370
capture-371

All that and the only thing it has to show for its efforts is some bruised knuckles.

I have all the time that I need to heal Dogu and Wilhelmina, revive and heal Reina, and even burn Cyrus’ Full Restore. It even Froze Castellia and it didn’t make a lick of difference in the end.

capture-389 capture-390
capture-392

Perhaps when this Honchkrow was just a Murkrow, it had dreams that one day it would have the most shiny things, and it would run the flock right, like how things should be, a flock where everyone looked out for everyone else. But bit by bit, with every decision made out of necessity, that slipped away. There was no definitive point, no moment when it looked in the mirror and said “This is who I will be from now on,” but the change happened. Really, who among us can judge it?

capture-394 capture-395

I’ll tell you what I can judge: That’s gotta hurt.

capture-397

I… don’t know why Cyrus doesn’t appear in this screenshot. There wasn’t an issue in the game.

capture-398 capture-400
capture-401

capture-405 capture-406
capture-407 capture-408

Cyrus staggered back, and his shock soon turned into a broken, humorless laugh. “What does it matter?! That Pokemon created this world! Whether you defeat it or capture it doesn’t matter! Take away that Pokemon and this world disappears! If this world disappears both worlds will crumble! You won’t repair them- You’ll destroy them for me! Do what you will!” He yelled as he turned away. “You inherit my legacy!”

capture-416 capture-417

“Giratina chose to bring us here,” Cynthia was still looking at the retreating madman. Her voice took on a more comforting tone as she saw Spamigo slumped against one of the rocks, with Mina resting her head on his shoulder. “Hey, you did great. Don’t worry about what he said. If Giratina stopped him before, and has been testing us all the way down here, I can’t believe it would be so we would be the ones that destroy the worlds. I think…” She paused to turn and look down the path ahead. “It’s been waiting to meet you.”

capture-426 capture-427
capture-428 capture-429

After worrying for so long about Team Galactic and Cyrus, after jumping into another dimension, and after losing what calm he had battling Cyrus, Spamigo was exhausted. Mentally and physically. However tough he had tried to act, it vanished for a moment. “Why can’t it just let us go home? I’m tired.”

“Me too,” Cynthia sighed. “But kid, you’re pretty impressive. I think… Giratina led us down here so it could face you. No matter what happens, if you bea it or catch it… It just wants to see the kind of person you are. I don’t think there’s anything for you to be afraid of any more.”

“Not the dragon monster that brought us here?”

“It brought us here instead of doing anything worse.”

capture-439 capture-440
capture-441 capture-442
capture-443 capture-444
capture-445

It had raced through space as a shadow while they had puzzled there way to the bottom (or what seemed like the bottom) of this strange pocket world. It was the only other thing that made any noise here. And the noise it made was more like a scream than any other Pokemon cry Spamigo had ever heard.

And now that they were face to face, it was silent.

Its blood-red gaze was unblinking, and it didn’t move, not even to flap its wings as it hung in space.

And then it attacked.

capture-447 capture-448

Hey remember what I said about leaving Dogu in front?

capture-449

DOGU HAS NO BUSINESS BEING IN THE SAME ASTRAL PLANE AS A GHOST/DRAGON.

capture-450 capture-451

But since it decided not to reach into the akashic records and remove Dogu from the total knowledge of the universe, let’s set up a Reflect wall.

capture-452 capture-454

And then throw rocks at one another? I’m not sure why Giratina doesn’t just Shadow Force Dogu into infinite obliteration.

capture-457 capture-458

It’s a Ghost, but it’s also a Dragon. And Reina has a nice beam.

capture-460 capture-462

Alright, so realtalk here: I made a commitment a while back that I would show the failed attempts rather than just say “It took me a dozen tries to beat this Gym Leader.” So that failure was not buried under the rug while emphasizing success. But, the success that happens, happens without being cherry-picked to make me look good at Pokemon (hahahahaha I’d lose so fast on Showdown).

capture-463 capture-464

So then this happened.

Man I remember having to reload against Giratina so often when I was playing Platinum for the first time.

tempting

Even frozen, Giratina glared directly at Spamigo. He was uneasy as he reached for the Master Ball and weighed it in his hands. He could… but should he? He probably wouldn’t travel with it. The Professor would probably jump at the chance to study a Legendary Pokemon, but was that any better?

capture-468 capture-469

And so he let it go.

Rather than stay down or fall into the void, the ice around Giratina abruptly vanished and it floated upward again. It still didn’t roar, and it still didn’t look away from Spamigo, but just mabe its gaze wasn’t so cold in that moment.

capture-470 capture-471
capture-472 capture-473

Cyrus raced to them, manically elated for a moment. But whatever he expected to happen, whatever sundering of reality or encroaching void or time and space abandoning all laws of nature to chaos… Didn’t happen. Even this strange world continued to exist as it always had in its own strange way. Giratina vanishing after the battle seemed to have no impact on them at all.

“…So nothing happens? Can I not create a new world?!” His pitch rose word by word as his anger grew. “Even if I create new Red Chains, Giratina will interfere again! Why?! Why do you all insist on protecting this broken world! It is incomplete! Imperfect! It doesn’t deserve to be! Anger, despair, loneliness… You would protect these things?! Why?!”

Before when he’d faced Cyrus’ ravings, the anger had burned up inside Spamigo into an a rare outburst of rage. But now… all he felt was pity. “…We can help each other. We don’t have to be alone. It’s- The other side of the chain that makes us complete.”

Cynthia nodded and added, “Because we know sadness, we can know joy. Anger gives birth to compassion. We treasure our friends, because we know loneliness.”

“ENOUGH!” Cyrus’ voice was practically a screech, but then he turned cold in an instant. He threw the bundle with his Pokeballs at Cynthia’s feet, and spoke now barely above a whisper. “I don’t need you. I don’t need anyone. I don’t need the world. I don’t need your flawed emotions. I will break this world. And one day you awaken in my perfect world.”

capture-497

Spamigo started to follow but a gentle hand on his shoulder stopped him. The worry must’ve been evident on his face, because Cynthia wasted no time in saying, “He made his choice. I think… Giratina brought him here for a reason too. When he realizes… I think he’ll come back. But a different person. Now… Feel that breeze? I think that’s the portal home.”

capture-506

Why would you say no?

capture-507 capture-508
capture-509 capture-510

She thought she was talking under her breath, but Spamigo still caught her muttering “Sendoff Spring again…?”

capture-513 capture-514
capture-515 capture-516
capture-517 capture-518

“But… what is this place? I’ve never seen this lake before. Where are we?”

“Just south of Veilstone. Not far away at all, actually. They just keep it well hidden.”

capture-521 capture-522
capture-523 capture-524

Now, we’ll just leave Spamigo & co. to confuse Sid greatly for a while by hugging the ground and being generally grateful for reality.

NEXT TIME: Updating my CV with "Saved the world once."

UPDATE 30: Next Steps

capture-001

Hello! Last time, we wrapped up a whole bushel of plot. A bumper crop of plot. You think you’ve seen a fresh plot before but this is the tiny farmer’s market with the plot so good you think the old farmer sold his soul to the devil for the ability to grow perfect tomatoes.

What I’m getting at is the last few updates were relatively important in the grand scheme of things.

capture-002

Remember way on way back when Rowan made Spamigo promise not to reckless endanger himself? For some reason after the dimension hopping it seems like an especially long time. Although maybe Spamigo endangered himself but not recklessly and thus fulfilled the obligation of the geas in an overly technical way.

Probably should go inside instead of putting this off further.

capture-003

It seemed like so long ago that Spamigo had walked through these doors, and the last thing that he had expected to happen then was that Rowan would give him five more Pokemon after he’d already let him take care of Mina. Finally, something had come along that was even less expected than what had happened that fateful day.

Namely, that he would not get two steps in before Rowan pulled him into a bear hug that smelled faintly of aftershave. “You’ve- You’ve really done it! You’ve left me speechless! In all my sixty long years I’ve never seen such a show!”

In comparison to the Professor’s exuberance, Dawn seemed timid and almost sheepish as she stepped over too. “The Professor was really worried, calling everyone he knew. Uhm… I’m really glad you’re safe, Spamigo.”

Spamigo stepped back once he was released, a little embarrassed by the display. “Is… Is that how Cynthia found me?”

“Yes!” Neither Rowan’s excitement or his volume had faded. “When- When we found Barry after the lake I contacted Cynthia and told her everything. She said she had an idea where to go. I’m so glad that she found you! Please, come in, I want to hear everything!”

Rowan ushered Spamigo into a sitting area and started an electric kettle to make some tea. Spamigo didn’t drink tea, but this didn’t seem like the time to mention it. He did tell them everything. About the speech that Cyrus gave, about freeing Mespirit and the other lake Pokemon, and about climbing Mt. Coronet. He tried to tell them about Giratina and the distortion realm, but even as he spoke he wasn’t sure his words could accurately convey what it was he saw in the Distortion World. Trying to say what had happened made him almost not believe what he’d seen.

Rowan and Dawn were quiet listeners. Rowan out of interest and consideration, Dawn from some mix of awe and horror. Rowan asked only a few polite questions when Spamigo paused, mostly about the legendary Pokemon he had seen. A few about Cyrus. Spamigo didn’t really want to go into more detail about that then he had to.

Although he didn’t drink tea, by the time he was finished there was only a thin puddle of cold liquid in the bottom of his mug.

Dawn was the one that broke the silence first with a question: “So… what are you going to do now?”

The only answer Spamigo had was a shrug. So Rowan cleared his throat and made a suggestion.

"All you’ve done so far, earning seven badges, defeating Team Galactic… I see no reason you shouldn’t get your eighth badge from Sunyshore and challenge the Pokemon league. You’ve more than earned a rest. I believe you could do it.

“But,” he said as he got up to gather everyone’s mugs, “Your journey is your own.”

capture-034 capture-035
capture-036

So he stopped home for a quick rest.

capture-038

And then started on the road to Sunyshore. There used to be a guy here saying that you couldn’t go to the town because of a blackout that’s lasted… half the game so far.

capture-040

Ultimately Route 222 is extremely short. Compared to how winding previous routes were, this is almost a straight shot with almost no required Trainer battles. Really just seems like Game Freak’s ready for you to get to the end too.

capture-041 capture-042
capture-043

Looks directly at the first half of 2020 Huh… Yeah.

capture-044 capture-045
capture-046 capture-047
capture-048 capture-049

In my head Flint sounds like the kind of person that ends every sentence in bro.

Anyway, Flint wants us to fight Volkner because everyone who’s been here to challenge the Gym has been lame and Volkner’s bored and spending all his time renovating the Gym.

How bored you have to be before getting involved in building renovation sounds more fun I don’t know. I’ve never been so out of it I thought “You know what let’s paint that wall and put in a floating shelf.” In the real world, at least. Sometimes I get board and start playing House Flipper.

Or does that mean I get so bored I turn to home renovation?

capture-065 capture-066
capture-067

The first Gym was in a town that was famous for its still-active coal mine.

Do they mine the coal just to look at it?

capture-068 capture-069
capture-070

NO IDEA DON’T KNOW WHERE HE IS NOW SORRY TO BOTHER YOU

capture-077

Scenic Snorlax Rock.

capture-078

Well that looks like a unique character sprite.

capture-079 capture-080
capture-081 capture-082

Perhaps… one day… Jasmine will face someone with “spam” worked awkwardly into their name.

capture-083

After this, I decide to get everyone up to 48 before challenging the Gym.

Incidentally, I had to spend a lot of time trawling through decade-old forum posts to try to figure out exactly how Pokemon Platinum Action Replay codes worked to find something that would work without nuking my entire backpack and giving me 999 Dragon Scales or giving me 999 of every possible item or give me a level 100 Arceus with 999 stats.

capture-084

70 power and a boosted crit chance vs. 80 power an a 20% chance to lower the target’s Defense. Since Sid doesn’t outspeed most things I suppose there’s an argument for Night Slash there. I stuck with Crunch because big numbers make me feel a little happier.

But also, if you know what the Dragon Scale means, you know what’s coming up!

capture-085 capture-086
capture-087 capture-088

It’s time for Reina to finally evolve! Now that we’re in the final stretch it seemed a fine time to let her be a Kingdra. Queendra? Time to let one of the best be even better.

capture-089

If Kingrda actually learned any Physical Dragon-type moves at all maybe there would be a world where I give her Dragon Dance. But that’s not the world we live in.

NEXT TIME: I’ve done low-voltage electrical work for three years and all I still really know about electricity is I don’t wanna touch it.

UPDATE 31: Last badge. Last time.

capture-001 capture-002

Welcome back! It’s time to fight the last Gym. The final badge. The last challenge before the Elite 4.

Unless Victory Road is a challenge? Maybe the Gym is the challenge and Victory Road is the last ordeal before the Elite 4.

capture-003 capture-004
capture-005 capture-006

I…

Forgot about this.

Volkner’s at the lighthouse.

capture-017 capture-008

He’s the one with the unique sprite.

capture-009 capture-010
capture-011 capture-012

Dang, got the new wainscoting done already?

capture-013 capture-014
capture-015 capture-016

Volkner’s team is actually kinda nasty, so it’s not an idle threat.

capture-018 capture-019

Volkner’s back and feeling better.

You know, is this the first Gym we’ve been to that Barry didn’t beat before us? Or did he clear this Gym so long ago that Volkner had time to get depressed and renovation-y again?

capture-026

Last time we get to talk to the Advice Guy.

capture-027 capture-028
capture-029 capture-030

He’s a little excited.

capture-031 capture-032

Maybe this time is the time he just lays out every Pokemon the Gym leader has and all their tricks like, “Alright so when he throws the Water move out what he’s trying to do to you is the Alolan Shuffle so don’t fall for it.”

capture-033 capture-034

…oh.

Okay well I guess that you should know by now how to handle Electric types.

capture-037

So you walk on gears, step on the button, and the gears turn. Actually, this Gym managed to stump me for a minute because in the final room you have to double-back. You do not just keep walking straight along the one path that you’re allowed to move on and get to the end point. Finally, a puzzle!

capture-038

Anyway, here’s Volkner.

capture-039 capture-040
capture-041 capture-042

The burnout when anything you’ve begun as a hobby becomes an ordeal is real. Even if it’s not a directly competitive affair, if there’s just some aspect of comparison between your success and someone else’s, that pressure combined with the pressure of having to do something as an obligation drains the enjoyment out of whatever you love. Breaking your routine can actually be helpful to avoid burnout, which is probably why Volkner’s turned to another outlet of self-expression in the Gym renovation.

…I’m not projecting anything shuddup.

capture-043 capture-044
capture-045 capture-046

I… took this awkward screenshot midway through his standing up animation. Oops.

Anyway, Volkner’s team actually changes a lot between Diamond & Pearl and Platinum, so if you’ll excuse me for snipping Bulbapedia:

Diamond & Pearl:

Platinum:

The DP team has a few cute inclusions like the Baton Passing Ambipom (assuming, y’know, the AI is programmed well enough to use Baton Pass. I do not remember this battle in my original original Diamond run) and Octillery as the main Pokemon holding all the coverage moves.

Then you get to the Platinum team where the theme is “Your Torterra will not save you.”

It’s actually kind of impressive.

capture-048 capture-049
capture-050 capture-051

Anyway, I don’t have a Torterra.

Poison Tail poisoning was really lucky here.

capture-052 capture-053
capture-054 capture-055

So, I will admit I’ve overestimated Shell Bell. When you’re grinding against Pokemon of a much lower level than your party, and dealing between 75% damage and one-shotting them, Shell Bell is extremely good at keeping your lead Pokemon healed up through chip damage.

But in an even fight, the 7 HP that Sid healed is probably never going to be relevant. After this I’m going to give Sid the Quick Claw back, the chance to guarantee he hits first is probably more useful in the long run.

capture-056 capture-057
capture-058

Also that poisoning was really lucky. This might’ve been a different battle if the Jolteon got full-healed and was able to keep using Charge Beam and raising its Special Attack.

capture-059 capture-060
capture-061

This Electivire hurts .

capture-062 capture-063
capture-064

If you ever doubt that I look at Gym Leader teams once and then forget almost everything I saw, I keep forgetting to switch to Castellia and let her Bug Bite the Berries off of these things.

Also it’s extremely lucky that Sid gets the Berry used immediately.

capture-066

But Sid’s luck can’t hold out forever.

capture-068 capture-069

In hindsight… When the Electivire was in the red I should’ve remembered to use Swords Dance. Might’ve given me the edge here.

capture-070 capture-071
capture-072 capture-073

Or Anomalo gets a lucky crit and gives me the edge that way!

capture-075 capture-076

Dogu still doesn’t have a Ground-type move because I still haven’t made up my mind about whether to give him Earthquake or wait for Earth Power.

Although at this rate he’ll learn Earth Power and inaction will have made up my mind for me.

capture-077 capture-078

JERK

PUTTING SIGNAL BEAM ON MY ELECTRIC TYPE TO BEAT UP GRASS-TYPES WAS MY IDEA FIRST

Anyway, complaining about hacks aside…

capture-081

Signal Beam does good chunks of Supereffective damage to Dogu, but Dogu’s Psychics do more.

capture-082 capture-083
capture-084

Guess what I keep forgetting about.

capture-085 capture-086
capture-087

Pokemon that are super likely to have Crunch and smash Dogu like Link breaks pots looking for loose change.

Reina is actually an incredibly dirty pick for this Gym. Evolving and getting the Dragon type means that she’s only vulnerable to… Dragon-type attacks? Water/Dragon gets hit for normal damage by Electric attacks, that much I know.

capture-088 capture-089
capture-090

Look at how little that Thunder Fang did.

capture-091 capture-092
capture-094 capture-095

Unless she just failed every Paralysis roll until the end, she always had this one in the bag.

capture-096

Honestly she might have rolled most of Volker’s Pokemon if I sent her out earlier.

capture-097 capture-098
capture-099 capture-100

That was a lot of me getting lucky at the exact right time.

capture-101 capture-102

oh no did we break him

capture-103 capture-104
capture-105 capture-106
capture-107
badges

Bacon Beacon Badge means we can use Waterfall. Waterfall means we can get to the Pokemon League.

capture-113 capture-114

If Charge Beam wasn’t balanced and only had 50 power, I’d probably consider it for Mina. A 70% chance to boost Special Attack isn’t nothing, but it’d probably take too long for her to ramp up to dealing the same damage Thunderbolt can from the get-go.

It is tempting though.

capture-116 capture-117
capture-118 capture-119
capture-120

I certainly hope so. I’ve got a lot of painful memories of trying to push my way through the Sinnoh Elite 4 even when I could use whatever Pokemon I wanted.

capture-121 capture-122

Oh right, it’s also the last time we get to talk to the advice guy on our way out.

capture-123 capture-124

Dang dude, can we just get a compliment?

capture-125 capture-126
capture-127

Let’s just leave it at that, advice guy.

NEXT TIME: Who in their right mind would go into a cave

UPDATE 32: Final Preparations

capture-001

Hello and welcome back! I’m sorry about missing last week’s update, I underestimated how much of a grind I was looking at for the endgame and things took longer than I expected. But now we’re here, and it’s time to give Jammerjab Waterfa…

capture-002

…ll. Oh hold on we have to do something first.

capture-003

The look of confusion is what tipped Spamigo off, as he’d seen far too many times that look of wondering at how someone could be running so fast outside of a track meet.

capture-004 capture-005
capture-006 capture-007

The high five is what caught Spamigo by surprised, although he wound up returning it all the same.

He must have been feeling better, since Barry was back to rapid-fire statements. “You still haven’t won yet! I’m still going to be the strongest trainer around! Me and my Pokemon are getting tougher one day at a time… but I’m not going to challenge you. Yet. I know you’re still tougher than me. Just by a little. Not a lot. Doesn’t matter! We’re gonna beat you! Better hope you get to the Pokemon League first because we’re not waiting. See you!”

capture-022 capture-023

“Must be nice to have a friend like that,” Jasmine said in a quiet voice that near nearly the opposite of Barry’s motormouth.

“Yeah, I guess…” Spamigo shrugged. “I guess it’s been nice to have people keep testing myself against. He’s a little flighty though.”

“Still, it must be nice. I’m sorry for eavesdropping, but are you headed to the Pokemon League? Here.” She pulled an HM out of her satchel and handed it over. “You’ll need Waterfall to get there.”

“Uh… but won’t you need it?” Spamigo held it but didn’t move to put it away, like she might take it back.

“Not here,” she shook her head. “I came to see more of the world, other trainers and Pokemon. I’ll be heading home soon, but I wish you luck.”

capture-038 capture-039

Well then.

capture-041

No time like the present.

capture-042 capture-043
capture-046 capture-047

Don’t ask how the geology of this works just nod and go along.

capture-049

The courtesy Pokemon Center at the entrance to Victory Road takes a lot of the bite out of it. If you had to go back to Sunyshore every time that’d be a nightmare.

capture-053

If it had a Dark segment in the middle maybe but it’s not really that complicated of a Victory Road.

capture-055

So, while we’re here: Platinum.

capture-053

Coming back years later, I like what they were going for with the Gyms in this game. Each leader’s ace Pokemon is no joke, and a lot of them have some sort of strategy built into their team or coverage against the basic counter to their type. Most major battles end up with more challenge that I expected and I wind up getting caught flat-footed. Mars’ Purugly, for instance.

capture-057

Anomalo took out a Blissey in one Brick Break, by the way.

capture-058

The real issue with Gyms becomes that… none of them have full teams.

I can understand having the first Gym start at three and ramp up, but they don’t actually ramp up. Even Volkner’s only got four Pokemon. I don’t really wind up feeling as though I was in that much danger of losing as I feel like I’ve got such a numbers advantage.

capture-059 capture-060

Dang, usually have to download a fan game with so-so spritework to get this level of self-awareness.

capture-061

Just a few.

But anyway, that may rank as the biggest drag about the experience of playing this.

capture-062

Nah, Mina doesn’t really need to do anything but blast hard.

capture-063 capture-064
capture-065

Victory Road isn’t that complicated in this generation. I didn’t even look at a map and I only got hung up twice trying to figure out where a boulder puzzle expects you to loop back to.

capture-066 capture-067

One last ride up the waterfall…

capture-068 capture-069

One first look at how DeSmuME does not want to render the background here…

capture-001

And we’re in.

capture-002

Of course, Barry only said he wasn’t challenging us yet.

capture-003 capture-004
capture-005 capture-006

Although I can’t help but wonder, if the loser has to wait for the winner to challenge the League, what happens if the winner scrubs out and has to retry? Does the loser still have to wait or do they get a shot now? Terms of the bet unclear.

capture-007 capture-008
capture-009

Alright, it’s That Bird again, but even if all it does is Double Team or Close Combat we can h-

capture-010 capture-011

wha

capture-012 capture-013

capture-014

…FINE.

capture-015 capture-016

I sorta… thought she’d Beam a little harder.

capture-017 capture-018

Maybe if she was at full health she survives? I hate U-Turn now.

capture-020 capture-022

REVENGE!

capture-024 capture-025

Alright, if Anomalo can just wipe out a Blissey than a Snorlax shouldn’t be any problem.

capture-026 capture-027

capture-029 capture-030

No problem at all, it didn’t live on one HP it didn’t live on one HP it didn’t live on one HP

capture-031

Nuuuuuuuuuuuu

capture-032

uuuuuuuuuuuuu

capture-033

uuuuuuuuuuuuu

capture-034

uuuuuuuuuuts.

capture-038

So we have to do this like 4 more turns.

capture-040 capture-041

Sid better get used to beating up on Floatzels, because this is what we’re going to be grinding on for a while.

capture-044 capture-045

He comes out ahead on the damage race. Return’s not a joke.

capture-048 capture-049

Rapidash with Bounce? Am I battling against me from high school?

capture-052 capture-053
capture-054

But what goes up must come down and what comes down gets hit with a torrent of water delay your coming down as much as possible is what I’m getting at.

capture-056

Alright That Bird, you want to U-Turn again or stick around for a battle?

capture-057 capture-058

Thanks.

capture-059 capture-062
capture-063

Class Aves will not defeat me!

capture-066 capture-067
capture-068 capture-069

Quick Claw kicks in an Sid fires off a Flamethrower.

I gave Sid Flamethrower in place of Screech because with his defenses, he doesn’t have time to not be hitting.

capture-070 capture-071
capture-072 capture-074

Being honest, I kind of expected that not to work out as well as it did.

capture-075 capture-076

And that’s the last challenge before the Elite 4.

capture-077 capture-078
capture-079 capture-080

Maybe we’d be better friends if we actually stuck around to watch each others battles and cheer each other on.

capture-081 capture-082
capture-083

Anyway, I’m glad they don’t have rules about battling in the lobby.

NEXT TIME: THE LAST TEAM UPDATE
It’s right below this you can just scroll down

UPDATE 32.5
THE LAST TEAM UPDATE

If you’d like, open up the other team updates (see here, here) just to see how far we’ve come on this journey. Arguably, I’ve overleveled for the Elite 4, but in my defense there’s a wide gulf in their levels and no joke I do remember getting stuck on them way back in the day.

WILHELMINA:
capture-001 capture-002
capture-003

178 Special Attack! If she can’t Thunder Break something out of the picture, she’s got Signal Beam and Power Gem for coverage. Return doesn’t use her best stat, but it’s another move and more importantly gave her better options while grinding.

REINA:
capture-004 capture-006
capture-007

I don’t go for ideal natures or EVs, so Reina has a high Attack stat and no moves to use it with, but she’s definitely no slouch on the Special attacks either. There’s definitely an argument for taking her to the move tutor to give her Draco Meteor. Sure, it lowers her Special Attack by two stages, but it’s also a 210-power (with STAB but 90% accuracy womp womp) nuclear option in any battle. Plus I could just switch her out.

SID:
capture-008 capture-009
capture-010

Remember with Sid had to carry this team through every major battle? Well, the rest of the team can stand on their own now, but Sid didn’t start slouching in the meantime. His defenses can be an issue but not if he take out his opposition first.

ANOMALO:
capture-011 capture-012
capture-013

Speaking of attacking! When Anomalo hits you you stay hit. The STAB on X-Scissor and Rock Slide, plus the utility of Brick Break, and if I remember there’s an opening he can just double his Attack and go to town twice as fast.

CASTELLIA:
capture-014 capture-015
capture-016

Castellia still gets to rock her defensive loadout. Given the right matchup she can wait for Toxic to do its work. There’s really few good options for Steel-type moves though. She learns Flash Cannon but her only Physical Steel-type attack is Gyro Ball, which is unreliable and only has 5 PP anyway.

DOGU:
capture-017 capture-018
capture-019

A war machine from the ancient world ressurrected into modern times, Dogu can fire eyebeams in a 360 degree raidus. All attacks are dissipated by its aether barrier before the counterattack is launched. With such power in the end it was nature that did their empire in, with massive earthquakes subsuming the capital into the earth and allowing their enemies to overcome the remnants. Dogu now doesn’t have to worry about any of that though.

UPDATE 33: The Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins With a Single Step But It’s Still a Thousand Miles

capture-001

Hello! I wish I could say the delay in getting these updates out was me preparing the most incredible content, and not my schedule and energy getting sucked into a black hole. But by gum we are finishing this journey!

capture-002 capture-003

I mean I don’t know who got all the way here without the badges but I appreciate the ceremony.

capture-004 capture-005
capture-006 capture-007
capture-008 capture-009
capture-010 capture-011

badges

capture-012 capture-013

capture-014

Thanks, security guard who was also okay with me and Barry battling in the lobby.

capture-015 capture-016
capture-017

Hallway number one.

capture-018

Elite Four member one. Elite One?

Also just to be clear, the extent of my research for each of these fights was only seeing what their leading Pokemon was.

capture-019 capture-020
capture-021 capture-022

I suppose after how well Anomalo and Castellia have done at their roles I just have to agree that Bug-types are pretty dang cool.

capture-023 capture-024
capture-025

Oh, and my Scolipede on Pokemon Go.

capture-026
capture-027
capture-029

Sid’s pretty fragile, but we’re overlevelled for the early stage of the gauntlet.

capture-030 capture-031

Strike one.

capture-032

I always thought that Vespiquen was way cool as a defensive Pokemon. Like you’ve got Defense Order and Heal Order to drag things out with. Naturally learns Confuse Ray and Toxic. Plus Attack Order is already better than X-Scissor. Just… shame about those weaknesses.

capture-034 capture-037

capture-038

Real shame about those weaknesses. Also it used Defense Order instead of a damaging attack.

capture-039 capture-040

Another thing weak to Fire, I mean I love Heracross too bu-

capture-041 capture-042

…OW.

capture-043 capture-044

FINE.

Also you might have noticed there’s no animations in these screenshots. While I was grinding I had animations off to make things go faster… then didn’t remember to turn them on before starting the battle.

capture-045 capture-046

Heracross: Not a joke.

capture-048

But this? 4x weak to Fire. This’ll be another-

capture-049 capture-050

FINE.

Although it’s not fine, is it? Aside from Flamethrower we don’t have that many options to deal with good Bug types.

capture-051

Reina’s just generally powerful though.

capture-052 capture-055
capture-056 capture-057

This… is going to be closer than I want.

capture-058 capture-059
capture-060

Alright, what can he possibly have left?

capture-062

Drapion is Ground/Bug. Easy.

capture-063 capture-064

NO IT’S NOT IT’S DARK/BUG I REPEAT DARK/BUG.

capture-066 capture-067

I know I’m glad Reina’s good.

capture-068 capture-069
capture-070 capture-071

My own forgetting what Pokemon are what types and how the type chart works? Is that what I’m up against? I don’t know if I can beat myself like that.

capture-072 capture-073
capture-074

Do we need to hear it for the boy here?

capture-075 capture-076

Elite One: Down.

capture-077 capture-078

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAANGE! TRANSITION HALLWAY TWO! PLASMA DRILL HURRICAAAAAAAAANE!

capture-079

Elite Two: Sighted.

capture-080 capture-081
capture-082 capture-083
capture-084

You know what, Dogu’s not always the best choice but I’d say the fact that they learn so many powerful moves so early meant that they was always reliable.

capture-085 capture-086
capture-087 capture-088

Reminder that Castellia is actually neutral against Ground, and honestly is the best thing that won’t get immediately wiped by this Whishcash.

capture-089 capture-090

Oh, and battle animations? Between Elite 4 rounds I got up to move my laundry, sat back down, and forgot to turn them on again.

capture-091 capture-092

See? We’ve reduced its Earth Power to just a tickle.

capture-094 capture-095

The goal here, although I don’t know the exact numbers to pull it off, is to weaken it with Toxic and then let an attack+Toxic damage carry it over the Full Restore threshold.

Also it starts a Sandstorm but Castellia’s got a Steel-type so…

capture-098 capture-101
capture-102

There goes the Catfish.

capture-103

After about five minutes and maybe sorta checking Pokemon Go I remembered that Gliscor is not Ground/Poison so Castellia could Toxi-

capture-105 capture-106
capture-107

FINE.

capture-108

Rub it in why don’t you.

Thing is though, it was mostly that Wishcash Whishcash that had me holding back from the nuclear option.

capture-110 capture-112

Rack 'em up.

capture-115 capture-117
capture-120 capture-122
capture-127 capture-128

She only took Sandstorm damage.

This is why I held off on evolving Reina for so long.

capture-129 capture-130
capture-131 capture-132

Queen of the Deep right here.

capture-133 capture-134
capture-135 capture-136

Elite Two: Down.

capture-137

Let’s just uh, not forget to do this before next time.

NEXT TIME: The Middle of the End

UPDATE 34: Step By Step Your Destination Will Always Get Closer, As Long As You Take That Step

capture-138 capture-139

CHAAAAAAAANGE TRANSITION HALLWAY THREE! MISSILE STORM!

capture-140

Well hey, it’s Buck. Maybe doing a favor for his friend is enough and he’ll just let us waltz on through.

capture-142 capture-143

Yeah, game, I know this took a while.

capture-144 capture-145
capture-146
capture-147

He does a little excited bounce like Barry does here.

capture-148 capture-149

So recall that I didn’t lead on the nuclear option with Bertha because the Wishcash Whishcash would stop most of it.

capture-150 capture-151

That… doesn’t apply here.

capture-154 capture-155

A-one.

capture-157 capture-158

A- not two?

capture-159 capture-160
capture-161

Thunderbolt’s a good idea, but Dragon resists Electric.

capture-164 capture-165
capture-166 capture-167

A-three and a-four.

capture-168 capture-169
capture-170

Wonder if the Earthquake is to punish whoever got here and was trying to rely on an Empoleon.

capture-171 capture-172
capture-173

But, again, Reina’s a monster.

capture-174 capture-175
capture-176 capture-177

Although in a way it’s fitting. Reina came in clutch against Volkner, and she wipes every floor in the hemisphere with Flint.

Weirdly if Flint had had his Diamond/Pearl team of Rapidash/Steelix/Drifblim/Lopunny/Infernape he might’ve done better. At least I probably wouldn’t have only been able to lean on one Pokemon.

capture-178 capture-179
capture-180 capture-181

You take a breather then, we’ve got battles to battle.

capture-182 capture-183

TRANSITION HALLWAY CROSS! SWITCH ON!

capture-184

ahem

capture-185 capture-186

I’m torn about whether to accuse him of being a nerd for reading nonfiction or whether he’s a nerd because he was nose-deep in genre.

While I, writing a Pokemon LP, stand above the petty nerds.

capture-187 capture-188
capture-189 capture-190

Not to beat dead horse but after the start yeah, I had my doubts.

capture-191 capture-192
capture-193

Fair is fair I remember when I first played Diamond that Lucian was the Elite 4 member that forced me to adjust my team because I didn’t have good counters for some of his Pokemon.

capture-194 capture-195

Oh hey I think I played Magic against this guy at my local game store.

He played combo/control.

capture-198

You might think, a Mr. Mime putting up barriers would be bad. But consider:

capture-199 capture-201

Anomalo.

capture-204 capture-205
capture-206 capture-207

So we both thought to try to buff up at the same time, but consider:

capture-210 capture-211

Anomalo.

capture-212

In Platinum he has a Gallade, and in Diamond & Pearl he has a Medicham. Either way, he’s got something that in theory can just punch a Dark-type out.

capture-213 capture-214

DID YOU KNOW THAT BUG IS WEAK TO ROCK AND THAT ROCK DOES NOT RESIST ITSELF

COULD YOU INTUIT THAT BUG IS WEAK TO ROCK AND RESISTS GROUND

capture-215 capture-216

Okay. Okay. Okay. This is fine. What’s he going to have, an Alakazam?

capture-217

…Right.

I hope six levels gives Anomalo enough of a speed advantage!

capture-218 capture-219

It did not.

capture-220

But I bet Castellia can stall this.

capture-222 capture-223
capture-224 capture-225
capture-226

Alright, let’s make sure and put the clock on this annoying thing.

capture-228 capture-229

See? Much less threatening.

capture-231 capture-232

Maybe we didn’t need the Toxic, but I’m probably not going to stop.

capture-234 capture-235
capture-236 capture-237

Poor little fox cat thing.

capture-238 capture-239

She can bite off a lot at once!

capture-241 capture-242
capture-243 capture-244

But I suppose, a crit is a crit.

Thing is we’re not out of strong Bug-type attacks.

capture-247 capture-250
capture-251 capture-252

HAH. Take that!

capture-254 capture-255
capture-256 capture-257

Didn’t even need for it to hit itself.

capture-258 capture-260

My bone-headed determination grinding my face against these challenges is real too.

capture-261 capture-262

In grand tradition, we’re not done here.

capture-263 capture-264
capture-265

But… the end is in sight.

NEXT TIME: The Destination

UPDATE 35: At Long Last

Welcome back one and welcome back all to this, the final update.

capture-266 capture-267
capture-268

Spamigo hesitate for a moment before stepping off of the platform. He had his team out to make sure everyone was healed up, and brought them together into a huddle. “We can win this,” he told them. “We will win this.”

capture-269

Cynthia was sitting back relaxed on the exit platform, tossing treats one at a time for her Togetic to snatch out of the air. As Spamigo stepped into the room she hopped up onto her feet with a welcoming smile. “Spamigo! I was almost afraid you weren’t going to make it. Seems like Lucian weeds a lot of the challengers before they can get here.”

He tried to put on a calm face, but Spamigo’s heart was starting to pound with how close he was to becoming the Champion. “I made it, though.”

“That you did,” she replied. “I guess it bears repeating: Thank you. For everything you’ve done about Team Galactic, the Distortion World, Giratina… Thank you.”

“Probably doesn’t mean I get to just walk on through, huh?” Spamigo asked, already reaching for the first Pokeball on his belt.

Cynthia just laughed at that. “Oh no. If you think I haven’t been looking forward to this you’re incredibly mistaken. If you want to become the Champion you’re going to have to go through me!”

capture-279
capture-280

You can, of course, start playing Cynthia’s battle theme here. But if you’ll permit me to suggest one last suggestion here, at the final battle, I would suggest Oath of Enma from the Yakuza 0 soundtrack.

capture-281 capture-282

Spritomb! This was back before they had the Fairy type, so Sableye and Spiritomb were (in)famous for having no weaknesses. I suppose that sends a pretty strong message after four type specialists you send something out with no weaknesses to exploit.

Cynthia’s team is ten gallons of beating in a five gallon hat. This is the battle I was trying to match the level of.

capture-283 capture-284
capture-285 capture-286

It doesn’t resist Bug though, and although you can’t tackle a Ghost or Punch a ghost, you can use your claws to rip a ghost up. Totally scientific, I saw it on Ghost Adventures.

capture-289 capture-290

Milotic, of course, is like Gyrados if it was a wall. A Special Defense wall, which… is a bit of an issue but hey, Mina.

capture-292 capture-293

That’s a lot of HP!

capture-294 capture-295

…Ah.

Mirror Coat deals double the Special damage you just took.

It just took a lot of Special damage from that Thunderbolt.

So, pain ensues.

capture-297

But ol’ Granpappy Spammy always said to send a snake to fight a snake.

capture-299 capture-300

Although he always seemed to say that before his court dates.

capture-302 capture-303

I know that her Garchomp was a major hurdle when I first played through the game years ago. It’s kind of a lot.

capture-304 capture-305

If Reina didn’t have those two extra levels she probably gets knocked out here and we have a heck of a harder time with this battle.

capture-306 capture-307

But since she lived we get to hit it right in the 4x weakness and take it out instead.

capture-308 capture-309
capture-310

We… oh boy.

capture-311

Hope you can take a hit, Dogu!

capture-313 capture-314
capture-315

Well that was scary.

capture-318 capture-319
capture-320

But we’re out of those weeds.

Wait is that sliver of red in it’s HP bar.

capture-321 capture-323

Getting pretty tired of this happening.

capture-324 capture-325

Well that was predictable. So should this.

capture-326 capture-327
capture-330 capture-331

Let’s just make sure we’re not in danger for the rest of this fight.

capture-328 capture-329

I mean, this Roserade isn’t really capable of harming Castellia.

capture-333 capture-334
capture-335

It manages to get a crit in while Light Screen is down, but…

capture-336 capture-337

Alright now I feel better about this battle.

capture-339 capture-341
capture-343

I never knew where her biting mouthparts were, but she does, and that’s all that matters.

capture-345

Surprisingly not a Serene Grace Togekiss, although pretty annoying all the same.

capture-346 capture-347
capture-348 capture-350

It takes Castellia down before she can do more than put it on the Toxic clock.

capture-351 capture-352
capture-353 capture-354

Two very good pieces of information! #1: Sid is faster. #2: It didn’t go into the Full Restore threshold.

capture-356

We are finally, almost, finally there!

capture-358 capture-359

Of course she has a Lucario too. They’ve got to push it somehow!

capture-360 capture-361
capture-362

Well. Sid’s defenses are not the best.

capture-364 capture-365

If nothing else I feel vindicated about training up to 62 for Dogu to learn Earth Power instead of stopping at 60. If I’d stopped at 60 this battle would be like pulling teeth.

capture-366 capture-367

Dogu’s come a long way from the days he couldn’t take a Physical hit at all.

capture-368 capture-369
capture-370 capture-371

almostalmostalmostalmost

capture-373 capture-374
capture-375 capture-376

YES!

capture-377 capture-378
capture-379

We did it.

At the same time, both Trainers let out the breath they didn’t know they’d been holding. Even then the silence hung in the arena for a few more second before it all sunk in to Spamigo, and he launched from a shocked stillness into uncontrollable laughter with his team piling onto him in a victorious huddle. “We did it!”

capture-380

Cynthia stepped over and offered a hand to Spamigo to help him up. “You and your team did it. I knew everything you’ve been through, everything you’ve done, wasn’t an accident. You are the Champion now.”

Spamigo got back to his feet unsteadily, from the weight of everything that had just happened. “So… what happens now?”

“Now? We just need to enter you into the Hall of Fame. Lift’s right here.”

capture-390 capture-392
capture-393 capture-394
capture-395 capture-396
capture-397 capture-398

“Hello again, Professor Rowan.” Cynthia and Spamigo nearly spoke in unison.

“I almost thought you weren’t going to make it,” Cythia continued, her relaxed warmth at odds with Spamigo barely restraining himself from bouncing.

“And miss the crowning achievement of another research assistant of mine? Not for the world!” Even when he was proud, Rowan’s tone was not far off from a harrumph.

“Another…?” Spamigo looked back at the former Champion, for the first time seeing her embarrassed.

She glanced away and rolled her shoulders. “That was a long time ago, Professor. Besides, you have me those six eggs and barely wanted to hear about the Pokemon that came out!”

“But I wasn’t wrong about your potential then, and I still am not wrong today!” Despite his tone, the professor was grinning behind his mustache.

“Uhm, thank you, Professor,” Spamigo began. It was almost more difficult to find the words for his gratitude than to have become the Champion. “I mean… For giving Mina and all the others. And for helping me to keep going…”

“Hmph!” The professor cut him off. “All I did was point out the path. You walked this road all on your own, and I will not take credit for it!”

“Well, Spamigo, Rowan? If you’d follow me?” Cynthia waved them along, into Hall of Fame, a dustless room with a mirrorlike floor.

capture-416 capture-417
capture-418 capture-419
capture-420 capture-421
capture-422 capture-424

And so Spamigo sets his Pokeballs on the machine.

capture-426

Remember how long Anomalo couldn’t do anything because his level-up moves were so terrible?

capture-428

Remember when we had to rely on Castellia learning Selfdestruct to get through a Gym?

capture-429

Remember Mina losing the first rival battle?

capture-431

Remmeber when Reina was just a fragile Bubble machine?

capture-433

Remember when Sid’s boosted stats were the only thing getting us through major battles?

capture-435

Remember when Dogu could just never take a hit?

capture-437

Well…

capture-438

Look at them now.

capture-448

And that’s Pokemon Platinum.

It feels strange to finally be putting this challenge run and this project to rest after so long. I won’t be getting into the postgame. Beating the Elite Four and getting to the credits was always the end goal for me. And I’m typically not one for postgames anyway.

I know that this is probably retreading familiar ground for most of you, my style was inconsistent, and my schedule was not nearly as ironclad as I would’ve liked.

capture-458

But to everyone who read along: Thank you. I hope you enjoyed it.

What’s next? Well, for me it’s a break. I’ve got a backlog of games at this point that I’d like to get through before I start tackling another major project. But now that I’ve got deSmuME running and figure out batch cropping and editing, there’s some more options out there. I never got HeartGold/SoulSilver back in the day, and I’d always planned to do a Random Team Run of one someday. Although my plans were always to tie it together with my FireRed run, and that’s pretty much lost to the aether now, so that’d just be a lot of referencing things no one would know about. If you’ve read this far you know I’m self-indulgent but I don’t know if I’m that self-indulgent.

But there’s still some other RPGs on the DS that I remember fondly that I don’t believe have been covered, namely Magical Starsign and Infinite Space. It’s been a long time since I’ve played either but they both go some interesting places. Or I could go wild with a dream project and do something from a franchise with the initials S, R, and W.

capture-464

I’ll be honest I just like that galaxy in the middle. Also Magnezone is cool.

As for this game though, maybe Barry and Spamigo will keep building each other up.

Maybe Rowan continues with his research, and finding the next kid with potential.

Maybe Dawn learns life’s not going to be like her romance stories.

Maybe Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn do something constructive now that they’re not working for someone trying to erase the universe.

Maybe Looker solves a case for once.

Just maybe, Cyrus finds peace.

But that’s in the future.

capture-466 capture-467

For now, Spamigo returns home to rest.

image001-3

Thank you all for reading.