French Simon's Quest, or Let's Play Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2!

Well, it’s that time again.

What time? Castlevania time of course! With this new fangame, The Lecarde Chronicles 2!

Let’s hear what the creator has to say about it! From MIG’s own website:

“It’s now an exploration game with a map and a subscreen system.
The game starts in the remains of ancient Rome after the meeting with the pope in 1781.The main action takes place in France in the late XVIII century.
The opening level is quite linear but after that there will be a lot of exploration.
There are toons of features i cwon’t explain now as a the AURA BLAST system. It’s a system where Efrain charges HOLY or Von Viltheim energy to unleash a special attack or support.Etc… etc…”

Sounds pretty good right? I mean, he had an entire game to work out any kinks in his level design abilities!

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles Part 1: Glissando of the Soul (Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, Combat Lobster)

3 Likes

And now, for our second episode, who wants to see this games first real boss?

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 Part 2: Grave’s Quartet (Heavy Sigh, Malleum, Combat Lobster, and JamieTheD)

1 Like

I don’t seem to like the bosses having a short vulnerability period to them. It was fine with the medusa statue because it was fairly frequent, but the tree boss was pretty boring because so much of it required repeating the same motions before doing damage. Hopefully this isn’t going to be a trend with the later bosses, right?

Has there ever been a Gothic novel that took place in a mine? I feel like there’s some untapped potential there if not.

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 #3: Rubato of Darkness (Heavy Sigh, Malleum, Combat Lobster, and JamieTheD)

The tree is the worst example of that kind of design, but it is by no means going away.

Tips On Being a Catholic Knight #335: Do not read plaques.

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 #4: Elegy of the Elegant (Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, and Malleum)

This mansion is pretty cool, at least once you get past the death statue.

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 #5: Sinister Stretto (Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and Combat Lobster)

I think just a little movement would make the Serivigny fight a bit more interesting, even if it was something silly like him slowly drifting away from you when he appears.It would at least make those falling rocks that appear behind him have some sort of purpose.

The nicest thing I can say about this place is that ice physics don’t exist in this game.

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 #6: Refrain of the Frozen Dead (Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Shinryu)

2 Likes

Coming up is probably the only part in the game that made me genuinely uncomfortable.

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 #7: Dirge of the Departed (Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and Combat Lobster)

3 Likes

This was about as close as I could find for “skeleton on a Zamboni”: http://bahoena.com/2015/06/01/the-science-of-hockey/

CAW.

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 #8: Tuning of the Corneille (Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, and Shinryu)

2 Likes

In this update, we see the worst designed section of the game by far.

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 #9: Chorale of the Heretical (Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, and Shinryu)

3 Likes

Q:What’s better than Chemistry?

A: Skeleton Chemistry.

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 #10: Cavatina of the Cadavre
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and special guest Mr.DJB)

3 Likes

You weren’t kidding when you said that one plant corridor was hard. Even if an axe was provided, the plants could still snipe you when you’re not ready and the peeping eyes are both tanky enough that they can quickly cover up a whole lot of movable space.

There was a boss here.

It’s dead now.

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 #11: Gavotte of the Veiled (Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and Mr.DJB)

3 Likes

Everyone loves chains and gears, so lets make a whole area around them! It’s not like the climbing in this game has issues or anything!

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 #12: Instrumentation of the Damned (Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and Mr.DJB)

1 Like

The ideas for the bosses in this are so cool, you can almost forgive them for what they turn out to be.

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 #13: Fugue of the Lost (Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, and Mr.DJB)

1 Like

I’m not sure the Hell Picture fight would work better or worse if it were more like the Megaman X wall fight, where each part had individual health parts. On one hand it would mean that wailing on one part wouldn’t just immediately melt the boss. On the other hand it highlights how uninteresting each individual attack is.

The fight would be more interesting if it had more than 3 people but I don’t think it would have lasted as long, since that’s even more heads to be too easily reached from the stairs. Maybe if the more exploitable summons were shorter and the attacks faster? It’s kind of sad though that just repositioning the third guy to that one spot would have done so much for that boss. Giving him an attack other than “stand there and hope contact damage does picks up the slack” on top of that would have been very nice indeed.

Headhunter seems like the most similar boss and that thing’s first form just paces around stabbing at you. The other two do a fair amount more, though.

A question for all of you readers out there: What kind of evolutionary forces would select for breathing fire?

Castlevania the Lecarde Chronicles 2 #14: Signature of Time (Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster and Shinryu)

3 Likes