Enter the 36 Cards (Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories)

I actually placed some 2s and 3s on my deck when I played this game but only to met some sleights requirements. Like every 3 cards in order were a cerain sleight that I would use at one point. It was a real bother to make the deck, the system isn’t good at all yeah.
Anyways it was a nice LP. I like how they made changes to the final boss compared to the GBA version.

Also when I played the remake I did it mostly to play the Riku mode but I was so tired of the game that I just dropped it. Then my brother played that mode and I watched. Needless to say, he had a way easier time with the game than me.

Here’s my stupid moron deck I found on my old emulator from about 5 years ago when I played through this game. I don’t have the ps2 game…

I kind of gave up around the last area when I was forced to grind for an hour to get a single door card I needed, so I just stuffed my deck with 9s and 8s.

Four Clouds.

1 Like

congratulations on winning the prize, ya crazy clown

2 Likes

My one disappointment is that Marluxia’s ultimate attack didn’t involve trading all of your rare cards for his commons. Otherwise, I’m satisfied with his JRPG attack names.
It’s good that they changed up the final boss. I remember the original one’s gimmick was something along the lines of “he just hovers above your range and you have to jump on his robot thingamajig and then hit him a lot.” Card fuckery is a lot more interesting.

It is pretty much that in the GBA version. They got a lot more creative for this one fight in the remake so good for them I guess!

I forgot about Marluxia’s hilarious death UGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Do they ever explain why Marluxia is even able to do that stuff? I think he’s the one one able to in the Organization.

EDIT: It’s also worth noting that Marluxia’s element isn’t roses but cherry blossoms. Which are usually used to symbolize the beauty of life and how fragile it is.

It’s time to face me, Marluxia, and my stand [Sanctuary]!!

Jokes aside this is actually a really cool final boss, and really cool to see.

1 Like

Thanks for this LP, FutureFriend. You’re a trooper. I could never get into these games myself, but I quite enjoy your LP of them.
Looking forward to more of this ridiculous clown-shoe anime philosophy for dummies.

Being a Nintendo kid, the GBA version is what introduced me to the series, so it’s nice to revisit it a little and enjoy the minor improvements here and there. Thanks for this cool LP and enduring the dumb anime bullshit.

I personally really enjoyed Riku’s story, because it took away most if not all of the micro-managing and grinding, and encourages you to git gud and learn the game’s systems. Then again, it does also throw you against stupidly difficult odds.

1 Like

Great series and wrap-up. Surprised how much “save the best for last” was going on, particularly with tinkering with how the card mechanics could be manipulated—seemed like some pretty neat gimmicks, though. Even the credits felt like it was saving some of the more charming animations for the last minute.

In any case, I seriously enjoyed this. I feel like we all learned a lot about cards and abusive relationships. Looking forward to whatever comes next!

While I haven’t used it in a boss fight yet this deck using one 1-3’s as attack cards does work when fighting against normal Heartless fairly well. You just have to chain together a bunch of Ars Arcanum

Not to toot my own horn, but I did my play through of the series here on the forums well before FutureFriend and it was fairly obvious that the only reason he did his (given it started during the tail end of mine) was because he was more popular and wanted to jump on the hype train.

FutureFriend couldn’t LP his way out of a box. He is the Goofy of his own commentary group.

2 Likes

I co-hosted on this LP and hooo boy let me tell you it’s ace get in on the ground floor overthrow futurefriend the mad king

i do not and will never engage with these mad trolls spewing fibs in my beautiful thread.

also first update of riku mode should be up tonight

1 Like

Hell yeah, it’s time to do the really stupid and confusing part of the game.

Consider everything that has up to this point.

points in favor of Riku mode: cooler animations, cooler bosses, cool unique mechanics in-battle

points against Riku mode: it’s still Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memeories

and its time to start up riku mode, starring the famous dark anti-hero “Riku”, love that guy.

3 Likes

Riku’s gameplay seems a lot more…interesting? But also still bad given the game.

Also Riku mode is definitely in the GBA version, so the fact that they didn’t add…ANYTHING to Re:Chain’s mode except for making like a single boss LESS INTERESTING in order to answer one very minor and stupid question huge fan nerds who were like 12 when it came out (namely, me, damn girl hormones and Zexion) had.

A part of me kinda hates how Riku’s story…at least at it’s most baseline, seems like it could be good? He’s a dude who did a bad, and he’s being forced to remember all the bad and all it cost him and he fucking hates it.

They did add a boss to Re:Chain but that’s for later. They also took out a boss. That tutorial against Ansem was actually a boss fight in the GBA version. The Dragon Maleficent card is a pretty big reason as to why Riku is more powerful than Sora. It’s supposed to give you increased attack power at the cost of reducing the speed that your deck reloads, but since Riku reloads instantly it’s an attack buff with no downside.

Riku is a stinky, smelly lad.