Enter the 36 Cards (Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories)

Chain of Memories is all set up for a pay off for a game that took like what, two years to come out after it?

Don’t worry you’re not SUPPOSED to know what’s going on. This castle is just full of idiots and nobodies.

‘he’s trying to destroy my heart.’

idiots, nobodies, and poor writing.

It makes sense if you consider Castle Oblivion and Namine’s powers have just scrambled his brain so much that indigestion now feels like his heart being squished. Because that’s basically the gist of it: Sora’s dun got his brain broke.

1 Like

I always found axel hard, be it the gba or the ps2 version of the game. Marluxia not so much compared to him though. I think most fights were harder on the gba version due hitbox issues, but I’m not sure. Haven’t played that version in years.

Is it EVER explained what Kingdom Hearts is? I think the definition of Kingdom Hearts changes every game.
Every rule of how something works in the Kingdom Hearts universe has been retconned, ignored, or flat out broken. Literally anything can happen in the story, cause nothing has any consistent law. There is no such thing as a deus ex machina in Kingdom Hearts cause that’s all that can possibly happen at this point.
Hell, Marluxia states a rule about how the memory erasing works, in that your heart dies if you get completely wiped (whatever that means). They break that rule by the end of scene it’s established. I love this series, it’s provided so much entertainment over the years.

Will you be playing the bonus mode?

I mean Copy Riku isn’t real, he doesn’t have a heart to break, he doesn’t exist. He is effectively a robot and robots have no souls.

As for what Kingdom Heart’s is…I think they explain it, and I THINK it’s consistent, in that some people THINK they know what it is, but they’re wrong.

I think what Marluxia meant is that when your heart is wiped you die and don’t just turn into a heartless. So it’s more or less a real normal death instead of the fantasy death Sora went through in the first game.

1 Like

kingdom hearts is light, p self explanatory imo

I guess I just don’t really know what that means. Maybe I’m being a nerd that needs everything over explained, but if it’s the light or something, why does it lead to a bunch of squiggly monsters and stuff?

Because Kingdom Hearts (the game) is a series of ridiculous and silly contradictions. Heartless are in fact nothing but hearts, emptied of all the good stuff that makes a heart a heart, which is why they go around consuming hearts and growing stronger, and why hearts floop out of them when they die. Kingdom Hearts (the tangible thing that exists maybe) is sort of like…the Heart of the multiverse, where light and dark intersect I guess? Like if Kingdom Hearts 1 had you sealing up the keyholes of all these worlds, Kingdom Hearts is the keyhole for reality, sorta.

1 Like

Given the direction of this discussion, I’d like to remind everyone of the thread rules!

1. No Spoilers! If we haven’t seen it yet, don’t talk about it. The previous thread went kinda wild with it, so I’d like to keep it on the downlow this time. Don’t do that vague wink wink shit either!
2. Don’t talk about other games (besides Kingdom Hearts 1!) Basicly a extension of the first rule, but I’d still like this thread to be accessible to blind folks! Talking about Kingdom Hearts 1 is fine, though, especially as a relating point to this game.

Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves, we’re only on game two of like ten or whatever and FutureFriend made a blood pact with a shitty warlock to eventually LP all of the Kingdom Hearts series!

3 Likes

Don’t worry, I’m sticking to what we’ve seen, but noted!

Switching gears, the whole “the final area of a randomly generated world is a stark white castle” thing is kind of neat? It’s like, all this time the castle’s been imitating Sora’s thoughts, and now we’re at the “core” of it, the most base form.

2 Likes

I really think that the idea of Castle Oblivion (as well as the villain’s plot just being “what if we just lied to the hero a whole bunch”) is really neat and kinda wasted on a game like this.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this dumb series, but an exploration of how our memories inform our personality and how changing the memories changes the person would be really cool, and KH is not the series to explore such themes (or any themes, really) well

On an unrelated note, Marluxia was originally going to be a girl, but that was changed when the devs thought that maybe having the only girl characters shown to be in Org XIII be traitors was not great. Their solution? Make Marluxia a man. They barely changed his design, and hoo boy, it shows

1 Like

It’s always the JRPGs that do this weird and fascinating memory manipulation thing, and it never seems to work out well. It’s a shame.

Honestly given fairyknives is meant to be some kind of sado-masochism freak, I think keeping Marluxia a girl would of been a good balancing factor, even if they are all ridiculous traitors.

1 Like

I like the idea that the castle doesn’t have any memories left to shape itself with so it’s just a blank canvas. “Shatter his heart” is a pretty dumb anime phrase like, but going by their whole thing about the memories coming from Sora’s heart, maybe he’s just too fragile for even the castle to use anymore.

1 Like

the castle is actually just a hilton hotel the organization hired out for the week. all the employees think it’s a stockbroker con and the ending of the game is marluxia getting banned for life from all hilton establishments

10 Likes

Wild unfiltered applause and cheering

final update, folks.

we’re gonna be taking a break for two weeks and then we continue on with riku’s story

3 Likes

So, I really like this ending? It’s got a nice melancholy feeling. That and I like the moment where you can see Namine’s heart break. Then again my taste might just be bad.

One thing I like is that the events of the game are actually pretty important to the plot of the series, even if basically none of the characters know it. Filler games like this game appeared to be tend to just be ignored.

One of Marluxia’s sleights is called Whirldwind to the Void. I know that typos in games, even in AAA games that aren’t half-assed like this one, are common, but it still amuses me.

I really want to know how they write all of those long winded speeches about hearts, memories, and friendship. I suspect they just pull buzzwords out of a hat.

Good LP I’m looking forward to Riku mode. In the GBA version, it was a tedious and unfairly difficult mess and, from what I hear, not much is different in the remake.