Enter the 36 Cards (Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories)

“just keep smiling, it makes things easier for me”

• You selfish prick Sora.
    I wonder if the Japanese version is less explainy about things, or if it too has Namine re-explain everything we’ve been told throughout the different islands…

Thank you for this LP. My bf and I got the HD remix when it came out, but we never got past Chains since none of us liked the gameplay. After this LP we might finally be able to continue on to the 2.5 remix.

I think that Sora being an impulsive jerk is intentionally being played as a character flaw.

It’s almost like losing all of your memories but the ones of a ~mysterious girl~ is a bad thing or something

They also seem to have made Riku 4 a lot easier.

They also took out the best line from the GBA version.

5 Likes

I don’t remember if you talked about it in the LP but if you didn’t will you show what the enemy cards do?

nah, they’re kind of a hassle to all set up tbh, and if there’s one thing i as a let’s player and person am, its real fucking lazy.

5 Likes

The GBA version of this game was a favorite as a kid, but after seeing the LP so far I don’t know if I want to revisit it. I didn’t remember the story being quite this stupid, but THE CHAIN OF MEMORIES BINDS US TO LIES or something like that.

As far as more tolerable, kind of? It’s faster to scroll through at least and the cutscenes are much shorter. I recall Atlantica being extremely awful for specific cards and requiring me to go all the way back to Traverse Town for some of those stupid below-3 cards.

I seem to recall the bosses being less nonsense too, since there was just such a smaller field to work with that you could usually hit them from anywhere with a keyblade card. Usually.

Lethal Frame didn’t exist though, so…

We’re 13 updates into this game and I still don’t understand how the combat system works.

Nobody tell me. It’s better this way.

1 Like

I’ve played this game and I don’t understand how the combat system works.

I think the two ways to play this game are “flailing” and “flailing but you know that sleights exist.” I played the GBA version as a kid and it looks like it plays the same way except Sora’s throwing his Keyblade from time to time.

1 Like

Watching this LP has reminded me of how much I loved Chain of Memories on the GBA and I do want to revisit it. But I don’t have my copy of the game anymore and none of the local places have a copy of it either.

I sort of still like the concept of Namine as a character as contained within this game.

I would have liked it more if she had more control though. She’s very passive for a character who could be much stronger.

Namine is…complicated. I don’t think it’s ever established if her powers even work outside of Castle Oblivion. But then she’s just weird in general, given other things about her that doesn’t quite match up with what we do know…or learn later, at any rate.

new update’s out, hope y’all enjoy the semi-final update!

Maybe I’m just a sucker for cheesy turnabouts, but Axel’s line about always following orders here was pretty great.

Also good lord scythe boy hits like a mac truck.

1 Like

I was cheesing the game with sonic blade and found Axel harder than Marluxia personally just because Axel loves teleporting a lot more that Marluxia does. Never saw any of Marluxia’s sleights because of it.

It got kinda glossed over in the video or joked (?) about but the 13th floor IS actually the largest floor in the game which is why I’m glad the game gives you Trinity Limit to make encounters less tedious. Just…don’t try to use it on bosses. One thing that was glossed over is Marluxia will use his enemy card against you and it’s one of the nastiest in the game because it causes him to do his next 3 sleights twice in a row.

Glad to see that the Axel fight is still a huge pain in the ass even after the transition to 3D.

I played the GBA game back in the day, and while I enjoyed this game enough despite it’s flaws, I’d reach the last Riku fight, and that boss would destroy me, thanks to his sleights. Seeing you reach the last floor is a nice bit of revenge for me, because fuck that boss. Lookin’ forward to seeing the end of this stupid game!

The GBA version had Neoshadows always hide when you used Trinity Limit, meaning it wasn’t nearly as good.

i’ve watched this from the beginning and i still don’t know what’s going on.