Crawl, Build, Time travel, repeat Let's play Dark Chronicle

Chapter 11: PIXIE POWER!

Today we dive ever closer to the end of the woods and face the most terrifying monster ever…a pixie…wait wha

1 Like

Chapter 12 The Trees have eyes

We finally begin building a settlement twelve episodes in

1 Like

Culture Points aren’t related to how much you can build. There’s a counter called “Polyn” that counts how much stuff you can build, and I never came close to hitting the cap. Culture Points increase as you build stuff, particularly when you put things close to buildings. Putting four buildings next to each other and building a stack of pots between them usually gives you all the culture you need.

1 Like

I really hope the boss is just a bunch of Hunter Foxes called the wild hunt.

1 Like

I don’t think i’ve ever capped all the culture points either

alternate title for this episode was “what does the fox say BLAM!” but i felt that resurrecting an outdated meme was beneath me :stuck_out_tongue:

Chapter 13 Recruitment for a better future!

do it

Join Max and Monica, New settlement, new employment oppertunities for a brighter stranger future!

2 Likes

Chapter 14: The trees a strip mall?!?

why of course it is…of course (this games weird y’all)

1 Like

Oh, goody. Monster Transformation Badges. In addition to the way I’ve said this game improved everything that was wrong with the first game while ruining everything that was good, this entire mechanic comes out of nowhere and is utterly horrible. I don’t know how much detail you plan to get into in the videos, but I’ll assume that it’s none, because that’s how much it deserves.

So, there are something like twelve Monster Badges (I think two of the slots are actually special badges that do something for all of the other transformations, but nobody cares), and each one corresponds to a different type of monster. It’s not always clear which type each monster is, but every non-boss monster is one type, and if you transform into a monster, no monsters of that type will attack you and you can talk to all monsters of that type. Other types of monsters will still attack you, though, and that’s where the problems start. While there are lots of monsters of each type, you only get to transform into one, and it’s usually the first one of that type that appears in the game. Remember those sewer rats and hand-walking ghost balloons? Remember how pitiful their stats are? Well, guess what monsters you can turn into! You’ll basically never actually fight anything using most of those forms, and if you want to level them up, you’ll do the trick of killing monsters and then transforming to collect the EXP. But you won’t do that either.

Yes, all of the Badges can level up. However, this is not meaningful in any way. Consider how weapons level up - when you fill up the ABS meter, the weapon gains a level. This resets the ABS to zero and adds one point of Attack, one point of Durability, and a couple of Synth Points you can use to apply upgrades to make it even stronger. Most weapons can be upgraded to new forms after four or five levels, with the right upgrade items, which raises their max stats and gives them extra Attack, in addition to resetting the amount of ABS needed to level up. You see, the amount of ABS needed for each level increases rapidly. I don’t think it’s quite exponential growth, but it’s pretty staggering. Once you hit +12, you’ll probably never see another level up. But at least each level makes a difference. Monster Badges can start with as little as 2 Attack and 3 Defense, and take just as much ABS as a weapon to level up. But you get one point of Attack or Defense every five levels or so, if that. Even the weakest weapons at this point are in double digits, at least. Monster Transformations never get better.

So what’s your reward for doing this? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry there actually is one, kind of. So, after 25 levels, you get a rare upgrade item for a weapon. One item. Basically, the equivalent of completing the trading quest from the first game, but you can get more than one if you hate yourself that much. Also, you get to evolve to another monster of the same type! Great! Except… there are two choices, and you have to pick one. Either become a slightly stronger recolor of the first type, or become a different monster within the same type. Once you choose one, that’s the one you’re stuck with. You can also still transform into the original version… for some reason. And that’s the extent of it. Even the upgraded forms are mostly pathetic and useless. And the EXP gain? Well, whichever evolution you choose, you’re still at level 25. The EXP you need for level 26 is even higher, and it just keeps going. You can build up every weapon to maximum and still have plenty of EXP left over to buy stuff for Steve before you’d get to level 50.

As you’ve seen, there are medals you can get for meeting certain conditions on a dungeon floor. From this point, there will be medals for defeating all monsters using only Monster Transformations. With some very late-game badges, that’s barely possible on some of the really early floors. Good luck doing that when every monster is stronger than you’ll ever be, and even if you’ve leveled up a particular badge, you can’t use it to fight monsters of its own type.

I haven’t even mentioned how you get new badges. I probably won’t.

yeah aside from maybe a one off episode where i run around as a fox with a gun I think what you typed is the only reference to the monster transformation thing we’ll get for the rest of the game because its that bad.

Chapter 15: More recruiting!

time to 100 per cent this!

2 Likes

I don’t remember whether this was mentioned in the video, but the Jurak gun is pretty overpowered for this point in the game because while it’s clearly obtainable at this point, you’re not meant to get it yet. One of the conditions for achieving 100% completion in this Georama isn’t revealed until much later in the game. As long as you know what it is, you can meet it, but it’s not something you’re likely to do unless you’ve played the game before or read a walkthrough. I think it’s specifically meant to aid players who are replaying the game. Seems a bit late in the game for that purpose, but…

1 Like

I think i mention the whole jurak gun/ technically not availible on a blind run through til much later thing next episode but if i didn’t then its cool to get that on the record for the thread.

Chapter 16: The rainbow at the end of the woods

We reached the end of the woods…its boss time!

1 Like

According to my records, the Rainbow Butterfly scoop isn’t used for any inventions that I’ve found. My list may not be entirely exhaustive, though. The Lafrescia itself is a required photo if you want to invent a better fishing rod, but there are other ways to get it.

1 Like

the lafresca is also needed to recruit a town member

Oh, yeah, I remember that now you mention it. I didn’t bother to write that down.

Bonus: a hopeFul FutuRe

It is time to see what the future has in store…

2 Likes

now that i revealed my next endeavour back to normal dark chronicle fun on sunday

1 Like

Chapter 17: Out of Balance

god i hate balance Valley also never picked the thumbnail but its appropriate as heck xd

1 Like

I think you can catch Mardan Garayan in King Mardan’s pond with poison apples, but there’s no trap-identifying feature in this game as far as I know.

Gemrons aren’t all that annoying to fight, in my opinion, but they’re notable for being one of the two Monster Transformations that are actually playable. I think they’re also the first monsters that can activate another one of Monica’s abilities, if you’ve upgraded one of her swords enough to have it. This is probably also the point where you’d be reaching that level, if you were using Monica regularly.