Cocoa☆Disaster: The World's Tastiest Anime Podcast!

Website | Twitter | 2015-2016 YouTube Archive | 2017 YouTube Archive
RSS | iTunes | Stitcher | Google Play Music | Soundcloud

Hello, I’m the internet’s ChorpSaway, and when I’m not doing Let’s Plays, I make a podcast about anime called Cocoa☆Disaster!

The show has gone through several iterations since it started in early 2015, but right now it’s a show hosted by me with various guests where we talk about all the hottest currently airing anime while also taking deep dives into older series.

As of this posting, the latest episode had friend of the show SweetNAwful and I discuss the thematic storytelling in 1997’s Revolutionary Girl Utena, its character studies, and all of the messy moments that make it such a beloved series even today. We also talk about the time all of the characters turned into cars.

Our next episode coming up is a look at Katanagatari, a 2011 series written by Nisio Isin, better known for his work on the Monogatari series and also that Death Note light novel. If you’d like to send in questions and opinions about this series to be read on the show, you can send those to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com!

I’ll be using this thread to post new episodes and also shill for listener mail for upcoming episodes, but I’d love to see people talk about their own opinions on the podcast and the shows we’re covering! I love, talking about anime.

Also! If you’d rather read some anime opinions instead of listening to them, there’s also a blog at Vanilla♡Blessing, where friend of the show queuebae and I write about anime in a more free-form format than the podcast. You can talk about those things here to because once again, I love to talk about anime.

3 Likes

This complete monster did not invite me to the Revolutionary Girl Utena podcast and my grudge is eternal now.

But I’m going to make him watch Princess Tutu and I supplied him with a copy of Puella Magi Madoka Magicka because I am on this earth to do Anime Good.

I listened to three episodes on the 13 hour drive back from Nashville and they were good distractions. :3

Whoops, due to some unforeseen technical issues, the Katanagatari episode will have to be delayed, and so next week I’ll be recording an alternate podcast on 1989’s Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, Gundam’s first OVA series and the first Gundam series not written by creator Yoshiyuki Tomino! You can send in thoughts, questions and opinions on THAT series to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com for inclusion in the episode!

:siren: WOW, A PODCAST! :siren:

YouTube
MP3 Download

Today, Cocoa☆Disaster covers a landmark Gundam series, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, the first not to be directed by the original creator Yoshiyuki Tomino. My friend BeamSplashX and I decide to look past the big robots and dive into the heart of what makes this series so different from its predecessors, and how it would affect and compare to the series that came after it.

Next up is the Summer Season Preview, where we’ll be discussing the newest set of upcoming shows! Which ones have caught our eye, or have us unsure, or are just pure unadulterated garbage? We’ll find out when we record! If you want to send in your own hot seasonal predictions, or just questions for us to discuss, you can send those via email to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com!

1 Like

YouTube
MP3 Download

Today (or Sunday if you’re really paying attention), my new seasonal guest XainZero joins me to discuss all of the upcoming summer anime and which ones we want to watch! A couple high-profile releases coming out, but there’s also a lot of smaller stuff that has a lot of potential to become something interesting and special, and we’re here to document all of those shows that make us want to tune in. Plus, we check in on a bit of news from the previous season!

Next up is the Spring Season Review, where we’ll be discussing all of the shows we watched over the last 13 weeks or so, even the ones we couldn’t stand to finish! Which ones are gonna stick with us, which ones were surprise hits, and which ones couldn’t grab our attention? Are the best shows of the season without issues? We’ll find out when we record! If you want to send in your own thoughts on spring series, or just questions for us to discuss, you can send those via email to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com!

YouTube
MP3 Download

Today, Xain joins me again to talk about the shows we watched from last season! While there were a handful of dropped shows, both of us came out with quite a few shows that surprised us and that we really enjoyed! We also try to piece together some of the more baffling shows we stuck with, and talk about some light news in the then-current wake of Anime Expo announcements!

The next two shows getting the Single Serving treatment are Humanity Has Declined with queuebae and Paranoia Agent with TheJayOfSpade! I haven’t watched either show but hear a lot of praise about each of them, so I’m excited to check them out and talk about what makes them tick! If you want to join in on the conversation by adding your own opinions or questions to the mix, you can send those via email to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com! We’ll read them probably!

YouTube

MP3 Download

Today, I’m joined by my friend qb to talk about a bizarrely beautiful series, Humanity Has Declined! In a world saturated by mediocre-to-bad light novel adaptations that consistently cover the same tropes, Romeo Tanaka’s Humanity Has Declined is a pointed, fun and unique comedy show full of surprises. For this episode, we talk about the elements that make this show stand out so much, cultural identity in a post-apocalypse, and why the structure changed so much between light novel and anime.

Our next episode is on Satoshi Kon’s TV series, Paranoia Agent! His unique style leaves a lot to be discussed and interpreted, so if you want to send in thoughts, questions or opinions on Paranoia Agent, write an email to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com for inclusion in the episode!

Sorry about replying to this one I am a bit behind on it. but the summer preview episode was quite good. gave me a couple of shows I hadn’t heard of before.

1 Like

YouTube

MP3 Download

Today, I’m joined by my long-time partner in crime TheJayOfSpade to talk about Satoshi Kon’s psychological thriller, Paranoia Agent! A 2004 series that still has a message for the modern era, Kon’s vision shows us the dangers of relying on emotional crutches, as well as the importance of accepting our failures and taking responsibility, all within the story of one young delinquent and a pink dog. It’s long but there’s a lot to talk about here in regards to craft, so sit back and take a rest!

Our next episodes will be the seasonal coverage with XainZero again, so if you have any scorching hot opinions on any upcoming Fall 2017 anime or opinions on the shows of the Summer season coming to a close, you can leave them here, send them to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com, or even tweet at @Cocoa_Disaster on Twitter to get them into the episode! See you then!

1 Like

YouTube

MP3 Download

The seasons are changing, both in real life and in anime! And so it’s time for Xain and I to look at all of the shows coming out next season and decide what we’re gonna watch, what we’re keeping our eye on, and what we can’t be bothered with. It seems like there’s a bigger list of shows we’re excited for this season, so I’m hoping this year goes out with a bang!

Next up will be our review of all the summer shows we watched, so if you want to send in your own opinions to have read on air, you can leave them here, send them to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com, tweet at @Cocoa_Disaster on Twitter, or join our fan Discord to get them into the episode! See you then!

YouTube

MP3 Download

With the end of the season comes new possibilities, but for now we’re looking back on all the shows we finished during the summer! We recount our way through several good shows, some that didn’t live up to their potential, and the anomaly that is Vatican Miracle Examiner! I’ve been happy with the way each anime season this year has seemed to be better than the last, and that trend seems to be holding for fall. Here’s to anime!

The next two shows we’ll be doing are a Single Serving on Lupin III (2015), and then a more roundtable sort of compare/contrast discussion on Ghost in the Shell 1995 vs 2017! We’ll be recording the Lupin episode shortly, so if you want to send in your own opinions to have read on air, you can leave them here, send them to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com, tweet at @Cocoa_Disaster on Twitter, or join our fan Discord to get them into the episode! See you then!

This anime season certainly had some good stuff, or at the least the ones I stuck with I really enjoyed, and the series I’ve started watching have all been good so far, and a lot of them I probably wouldn’t have started watching without this podcast, so thanks for that!

Besides the problems that were mentioned with Welcome to the Ballroom, I think another problem is that, besides the main characters, every other dance couple are just barely animated, like they’re a cg characters that just move in the background, which already looks weird, but when you take into account how the show has stated that every dancer there is trying to stand out from the rest and make the crowd look at them, it really becomes a noticeable flaw, but still, it’s still good and I’m sticking with it.

And it’s not really an opinion, but I was wondering what would be a good place to start to get into Lupin, because I’ve never seen anything of it, but it seems like a pretty cool franchise.

1 Like

I’d say Part IV (the 26-episode one airing on Toonami right now) is a good enough place to start. I only watched The Woman Called Fujiko Mine before Part IV, and maybe one of the old episodes a while ago. It seems very easy to get in to Part IV without prior knowledge (though it does have overarching plots, so start from the beginning). I don’t know if it represents the best of the franchise since I haven’t seen much else yet, but it’s fun.

The Fujiko Mine series is really good, but it’s pretty dark so it might not be a good starting point.

1 Like

YouTube

MP3 Download

It’s time to suit up for a new adventure! My friends Jay and Hobo join me to discuss Lupin III’s latest adventure and his journey through Italy! It’s a good time with plenty of wild adventures! There are some good emotional arcs with the new characters, as well as some interesting story development for Lupin and his merry band of cohorts. It’s a solid entry in the Lupin III canon, and makes for a good starting point for newcomers with the way it introduces you to the characters and their world. So join us for a ride through Italy!

Next up on the docket is a comparison and analysis of Ghost in the Shell, 1995 and 2017! If you want to get in on one of the hottest discussions from earlier this year as seen through the eyes of three people who never watched either movie until just now, you can leave questions and opinions here, send them to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com, tweet at @Cocoa_Disaster on Twitter, or join our fan Discord! See you then!

YouTube

MP3 Download

In the future, much like in the present, Cocoa☆Disaster is the only anime podcast. As such, it’s time to sit down with my friends FutureFriend and Jay to discuss Ghost in the Shell! We watched both the original 1995 movie as well as the 2017 re-imagining, and we thought there was plenty to discuss with how the two films try to bring Ghost in the Shell to the big screen. Is the new movie as bad as everyone says? How do their different attempts to discuss transhumanism stack up? That’s what we’re here to find out, so jack in and prepare for a brand new Single Serving!

Our next episode will be looking at the start of the new anime year, with the Winter preview and Fall review! If you have anything you want to share about the upcoming season of shows, or any of the currently airing shows, you can leave questions and opinions here, send them to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com, tweet at @Cocoa_Disaster on Twitter, or join our fan Discord! See you then!

:siren: WOW, SOME PODCASTS! :siren:

YouTube

MP3 Download

YouTube

MP3 Download

Whoops, forgot to update here since I don’t have an LP going!

Anyways, Xain and I have been hard at work documenting both the start of the new anime year, and closing out the old anime year! We make some early prediction on Winter’s shows, many of which seem to have come true from the current outset, and we talk about all of Fall’s shows, where there were plenty of interesting surprises!

Our next episode will be our third annual Anime of the Year awards show, where we shower accolades on all our favorite shows from 2017! If you have your own AotY lists that you want to send in, or any thoughts about the year in anime as a whole, you can leave questions and opinions here, send them to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com, tweet at @Cocoa_Disaster on Twitter, or join our fan Discord! See you then!

YouTube

MP3 Download

Cocoa☆Disaster is finally here to tell you about its favorite anime from 2017! With a plethora of stand-out shows and well-developed premises, Xain and I get together to talk about the ones that spoke to us the most, that captured our interest and delivered on our expectations. With this, we close the book on 2017, fully ready now for 2018 to bring new great shows for us!

Our next episode will be a Single Serving on the Devil May Cry anime! If you have anything you want to say in regards to that series, its games, or how the anime and games stack up against each other, you can leave questions and opinions here, send them to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com, tweet at @Cocoa_Disaster on Twitter, or join our fan Discord! See you then!

I listened to your fall 2017/winter 2018 epiodes now - and I am so glad that you found Land of the Lustrous too. It is actually my show of the year (but I only watched like 3-4 shows last year.) I am Getting 2018 anime watching off to a good start with anime with Junju Ito Collection, Mitchiri Neko and Pop Team Epic.

That One Shot on Paranoia Agent is in my “To Listen to later” list because I want to re-watch it before hand and I have so many of that sort of show to watch (Currently in Season 2 of Twin Peaks, Episode 2 of Riverdale and I bought Serial Experiments Lain on DVD.)

1 Like

YouTube

MP3 Download

On today’s Cocoa☆Disaster, BeamSplashX and I travel back to 2007 to discuss a video game tie-in meant to lead up to a big game release. That’s right, it’s Devil May Cry the Animated Series, marketed as build-up to Devil May Cry 4! While it sports the name, DMC the Animated Series doesn’t have the style or charm of the games, leaving fans with a dry and lifeless adaptation of the world and its characters. What is this show missing, and why doesn’t anyone talk about this show? It’s time for us to dive up and dissect just what went wrong with this series!

Our next episodes will be our seasonal coverage, previewing the upcoming Spring season of shows as well as discussing what we watched this Winter season! If you have anything you want to say in regards to those two topics, you can leave questions and opinions here, send them to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com, tweet at @Cocoa_Disaster on Twitter, or join our fan Discord! See you then!

YouTube

MP3 Download

Spring has finally arrived, and what better way to celebrate it than with a look at next season’s anime? Xain and I are pretty pumped about spring, with a staggering number of shows catching our eyes and interests! Today, we talk through each upcoming show, what we’re expecting, and how we’re possibly going to fit them all into our schedule. We also talk about dabbing in anime and the crimes we’d commit for anime.
Our next episode is the Winter season review, where we look back on all the great, and maybe not-so-great, shows that we watched! If you have anything you want to say in regards to Winter 2018 anime, you can leave questions and opinions here, send them to chorpsawaysa@gmail.com, tweet at @Cocoa_Disaster on Twitter, or join our fan Discord! See you then!