Changing the Oil in Our Spirit Engine: Let's Play The Spirit Engine 2

Episode 20: Where We… Oooh, What Does This Button Do?

Preferred Hosts: Rumble, Odysee
Regular Host: Youtube

Out of the freezer, and into cryostorage. We reach the institute, mess up an experiment, mess around with some eggheads, get our sighting, and then tragedy strikes…

So, I’ve been having a ton of fun with streaming Echoes of Mana every night, but I’m in a precarious position. I started streaming EoM a week ago, and I started with almost two weeks of backlog. I haven’t produced anything else for my backlog since then. Heart of the Jedi is done and scheduled, and my Tuesday/Thursday release slot is satisfied until May 26th (then it’s going to be Doki Doki Literature Club). Likewise, my Sunday and Monday releases are scheduled that far out. I’m not so lucky with this LP and with Super Robot Wars. I only have Friday’s episode queued up for this game, and I do not have the third video for SRW this Saturday. I forget just how rough daily streaming is.

Episode 21: Where We H̵̗̤̎͌a̷̘̫͛̔v̴̦̯̈̊e̷͉̎ ̸̖̭͐̈ạ̷̊̕͜ ̵̺̭̍Ś̵͖h̶̟̦̓͌o̴͍̽t̵̻̥͊g̷͚̱̒̂u̷̪̫̕ṋ̸̒̌ ̶̖͊W̷̥̌e̷̩̻̊̀d̶͙̕͠d̶̮̮̐̚i̵̬͍̽n̷̛̜͔͌g̶̺̏

It’s time to resolve Ferwin’s subplot, and that means a shotgun marriage, but not necessarily in the way you think.

Episode 22: Where We Choose the Road Less Travelled

We have a big jungle to explore, and as always, I decide to explore everything. There are unique zone effects in different fields, so it doesn’t stay too monotonous

Episode 23: Where We Return to the Beaten Path

On the one hand, this is just part 2 of the last episode as we continue exploring the dungeon. On the other hand, it’s the exact opposite, as we head towards our goal this time instead of wandering about specifically avoiding the correct path.

Episode 24: Where We Transmute Ourselves into Gofers

So, with the forest explored what do we do? Backtrack and go on a fetch quest. How fitting. Oh well. Maybe we’ll move the story forward a little further tomorrow? Spoiler warning, we will.

Also, as of posting this update, Nweiss and I are about to start streaming episode 26. Yes, that’s how close I am to running out of backlog. Stupid Echoes of Mana and its fun gameplay and my nightly streams of it taking up so much of my free time.

https://www.twitch.tv/bring_stabity

Episode 25: Where We Discover the True Stakes

What do we get today? One hour of story. People coming clean, explaining their motives, and letting us understand the stakes at play. In short? I don’t think anybody has clean hands in this whole ordeal.

Episode 26: Where We Explore a Futuristic Ship and Meet an AI

Crossing through a crashed metal ship surely isn’t going to be a problem. Right? RIGHT?

Episode 27: Where We Meet a Beautiful Princess

There’s a saying about lipstick on a pig, but on a fish?

Episode 28: Where We Face Our Fears

What sort of mind-affecting boss would this be if we didn’t need to fight manifestations of our worst fears? Not a very good one. So, before we can face off against the Eldritch horror, we must first face our own demons.

So, yeah, I warned that this might be late. That was not because of the lack of backlog, Nweis and I have finished the game, and there are four more episodes after this already recorded and mostly ready to go (two uploaded, two waiting to be uploaded). It was just a busy day yesterday and today.

Episode 29: Where We Put Down a Miserable and Pathetic Worm

Icky, Icky, Ick Thelloth! Time to face your doom! It is a nice psychological horror. It reminded me a little bit of Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist, crossed with a xenomorph, at least for its nested mouths.

I was thinking of the Moray Eel which has a second set of jaws in its throat, just like the xenomorphs. Ick Thelloth has three nested mouths though.

Episode 30: Where We Finally Take a Human Life

So, turns out I spent a little more money than I should have, and we can’t get the optimal gear for everyone. Oh well. A quick reset at least helped me get a better sub-optimal setup. Isabelle has been kidnapped once more. It’s unfortunate, but rather predictable. We have to have a final showdown somewhere, and it would be too anti-climactic for it to be here.

Episode 31: Where We Finally Learn the History of the World

In a repeat of the avalanche incident, we need to get across this battlefield, ASAP. We have two reinforcements, and nweis helps me use them in an optimal fashion. Even so, we only make it by the slimmest of margins. Once inside the facility, we get our final bit of story dump.

Also, I’ll be streaming some Doki Doki Literature Club in just over an hour on my twitch channel. You can vote if you want Natsuki’s route or the good route. Twitch

Episode 32: Where We Face a New World

So, we finally have reached the end. Batiste has gone mad with power, and the latent mania of the former commander. We face an epic final battle, and it really shows off the power of the combat system. The final scene is powerful, and moving, but it’s not all sunshine and roses either.

Overall… WOW! That was quite the game. I really understand what was meant by “this deserves to have been a cult hit”. It really is an amazing game, with a wonderful story, great music, a distinct art style, and very unique combat mechanics. The combat system does have a few issues with controllability. I think a standard combat menu would have been better, but this really allows the fighting to be more of a puzzle.

As for future plans. I had intended to replace my Wednesday/Friday release slot with a new LP of Diablo Immortal. The first few hours have been very fun, but the sheer amount of money you need to spend in that game to get geared up has gotten me sour on the prospects. Someone did the math, and it’s $110,000 to fully gear up. So, no thanks. At the moment, I’ve switched back to a stream heavy focus. I’m streaming Echoes of Mana (F2P) and Date A Live Spirit Pledge HD (whaling) on alternate nights. Tuesday and Thursday, I’m releasing my LP of Doki Doki Literature Club. The other days, I’m working on releasing my massive backlog of my original playthrough of Date A Live Spirit Pledge. Also, I’m putting up stream archives of Date A Live Spirit Pledge HD and Echoes of Mana, about 36 hours after each stream.

@moderators
Finally got off my ass and updated the ToC. This is now complete.

1 Like