Big Boss is about to go nuclear in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (and Ground Zeroes)

Now that the game has begun, and you actually have been given guns, I planned to start writing info dumps, standing in for SIGINT, but honestly I didn’t want to pretend I wasn’t talking out of my ass.

Any gun nuts already should have noticed that the guns in MGSV aren’t real world guns, but rather legally distinct stand-ins. IMFDB has a listing of guns that the weapons might be, and I find some of the choices very curious.

Go figure, the time I decide to actually draw something my tablet starts crapping out on me. Oh well, I tried.

12 Likes

Wow. I finished this entire game without ever noticing or looting one of those delivery invoices.
How were the three different snakes done save-wise? Was it three replays of the level so all the stuff collected in all three are saved, or just a lot of restarting so only of the three snakes “canon?” Or even three seperate saves, but I imagine that would be a nightmare given how I remember the saves in the game working.
I don’t know if I could live in a world where Vapor Snake isn’t canon.

I’m playing on the PC, so it’s actually really easy to do save management. There’s like three files that cover the saves, so I just have a shortcut to that folder to get to it easy. There’s no issues with just copying and pasting different saves into the folder. I’ve got three separate folders for each playstyle with subfolders in each one that contains saves that I use as checkpoints to make it easier to record. That way if I’m editing and decide I need to get some extra footage/a better take for a certain part of the game, I can essentially rewind my save back to the appropriate point.

Actually I’m sure it’s been stated somewhere else but just for the thread what is the release schedule for the episodes?

Woops, should’ve put that in the OP. It’s gonna be every Tuesday and Friday afternoon, like 5PM eastern, 4 central, 2 pacific.

Yeah, I know about that use but never noticed it in the intro even after 3 plays.

I never considered how this game’s increased complexity plus Chip’s exhaustive LP style would multiply like this. Gonna be a long LP series and I am HERE. FOR. IT!

If that’s Donna Burke doing both the theme and the voice for the iDroid, that must mean when you use a Phantom Cigar, your iDroid is howling WHOA-HOOOOOAH for 12 hours straight.

1 Like

This triple Snake thing is fabulous, and it really is some “above and beyond” stuff - I’d never be able to play MGSV on my own, so I really appreciate the thoroughness of this LP.

Vape!Snake legit made me cackle, and I really, really needed the laugh - so thank you, guys. Long may he roll on (and bother goats).

Is it as simple as swapping saves in and out? I remember a friend of mine complaining that when you do that on PC at least the online servers automatically syncs back up a lot of your money and resources, though as I type that I suppose the very simple fix there is playing offline.

Yeah, I haven’t had any issues with Stream trying to replace the files with whatever it has stored in the cloud. I might have told it to not backup stuff to the cloud (I think that’s an option?) but I’m not sure.

This was the only MGS game I played for more than an hour and I was surprised how well it controls with keyboard and mouse and how well it runs on my old ass PC. I only stopped playing it because I accidentally killed someone (no one important) and got real bummed. I also didn’t know about the shipping invoices.

Exclusive footage of Big Boss in a later level:

1 Like

I was excited to see the new MGS LP after so long. I even made a new account here after finding that you guys didn’t make a thread on SA. I haven’t watched anything yet since I still have not caught up on Peace Walker yet, but I’m working on it. Hopefully I’ll finish and catch up in the next week.

btw, would it be okay to post Awkward Zombie comics that relate to whatever happens in the videos? Obviously I won’t post ones that might spoil anything later on.

I hope to hear more of Chip’s Hayder Snake impression.

I’m always in favor of more Hayter Snake voice, even if it’s technically not appropriate for the LP.

Honestly the lack of Hayter in MGSV was one of the biggest disappointments for me just because I feel like the classic Snake voice has always been a huge part of the series’ character (which I consider a positive). Sutherland really sets a completely different tone for the game by comparison.

Of course the Kiefer Sutherland voice isn’t hard to impersonate either. You just have to pretend that whoever you’re talking to just woke you up at 4am.

3 Likes

I wonder if we should have a “spot the Adele song in the MGSV episode” game. #4 was obiviously ‘Trolling With The Sheep’.

(I apologise for my sleep-deprived brain.)

Hey Chip, really pumped about this LP. Have you mentioned how you’ll cover stuff like the cassette tapes? Is it gonna be Peace Walker style where they’re more or less in their own videos, or are you thinking of doing something different with them?

A lot of cassettes will be their own side videos without commentary, but any tapes I deem important or interesting enough will be played during gameplay. There’s a lot of running around on horseback going from A to B, so we’ll be listening to important tapes during those parts, usually.