Big Boss is about to go nuclear in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (and Ground Zeroes)

Perfect~

Can’t wait for the inevitable MG Survive LP. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I always thought the snake and lightning bolt tattoo combo was weird, but after watching this it struck me that it represents Snake (duh) and Raiden.

As for the Fox Engine, it’s still being used for cutscenes… in Konami’s pachinko games :sweat::gun:

1 Like

Let’s just say I shouldn’t have read the Youtube comments. One of these years I’ll learn.

4 Likes

I can’t wait until we reach the point where certain options pop up.

This is the PC version, right? I’m curious to know if you’ll also end up covering some of the uh, I’ll just say “stuff” to avoid spoiling anything, that people have done with it, because I remember seeing some pretty wild things back when the game was new.

1 Like

If you remember the first overview video, we’re going to be seeing more than a fair share of really cool stuff, don’t you worry. Chip got that stupid four man Peace Walker super gun to work, he’ll get anything you hope for for this one.

1 Like

Been waiting for this LP for a while. I am more excited about this than I am about some video game or movie releases. Or my mom’s birthday. Or my own birthday. But, really, I don’t like birthdays much.

1 Like

I’m a little sad that this wasn’t the return of Yugoslavian superspy SUCK MY DICK.

5 Likes

Oh man I forgot how much Snake in MGSV looks like this guy I used to work with.

I love the escape from the hospital sequence; it’s incredibly tense. Great pacing, especially once the shit really hits the fan. I think part of that is the “single camera, no cuts” approach to cutscenes/gameplay that Chip mentioned in the video.

MGSV is my favourite MGS game! …For the gameplay, at least. I’ve only played the MGS games available on PC though, so it was the first one in ~fifteen years… but who’s counting.

“That weird kid that was kind of obsessed with me and maybe wanted to kill me decades ago shows up out of nowhere and he’s a cowboy now and is taking me on a journey across the seas.” - Big Boss’s Dream Diary and Regular Diary

1 Like

This is a great start to what will likely be one hell of an LP. I’m so glad to see you two back in the (ultra-HD, Fox Engine-rendered) saddle!

Strange that I never actually noticed the red-white vision problem in the first mission the handful of times I played it (or anywhere else in the game) despite the fact that it’s mentioned in an early audio log and would have been important in the cut content later on. I guess it was either too subtle for me or I just assumed it was a low-health visual filter like most games have anymore.

Also I never stuck around long enough to notice the statue of the Boss, so already in the first update there’s stuff I missed.

It could also be that, like me, with so much cut content you had no way of knowing what was going to be relevant.

Oh boy. The most disappointing masterpiece I’ve ever played. Don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed and been let down by game so much at once as by Phantom Pain and been waiting to see you two cover it since it came out. With any luck I might appreciate it a lot more after inevitably finding out I missed about half of the game.

I’ve been waiting for this to come out as well. Just gotta see what I’ve missed. I mean, I played the game to close to 80% completion as far as I remember, but there’s still a ton of stuff I didn’t get around to doing or just wasn’t bored enough to do. Yeah, I was not gonna collect all those animals or do all those extra mission objectives.

Still, I must’ve put around 100 hours into the game, which I suppose is a testament to how much I liked it. There’s still quite a lot to critize, and I’ve no doubt Chip and Ironicus will get around to that, but for me it was probably the most fun I’ve had playing a game since Dark Souls. All the shorcomings MGS5 has to me are completely overshadowed by the absolutely stellar core stealth gameplay.

Alright, let’s get into some actual gameplay! This’ll probably explain why it’s been taking so long to make this LP, too.

Episode 4: RevengeCut Commentary

7 Likes

A tale of three Snakes.

The yellow, pinkieless arm is meant to be a regular artificial arm that they gave him while working on his bionic commando arm. Probably taken from a war zone, thus the damage to it.

My personal opinion on this is that it’s actually Hot Coldman’s rocket fist, and they just lost the pinkie.

1 Like

Zadornov had the rocket arm, and I think it was his right hand not left.

It’s been a long time White I can’t remember everything correctly. My apologies.

This game has copious amounts of Times New Roman and I’m HERE for it.

EDIT: Also the lack of a pinky is because the hand has five digits and one less than five is four and four is death. Also MAYBE a reference to the Yakuza tradition? I doubt it, though.