Astrid and the Hollow Heart [CYOA]

lmao bro

I’M NOT ASHAMED TO ADMIT WHEN I’VE OWNED MYSELF

Attempt to recall pastoral life before it was shattered

Adding to this, whittle a piece of wood while doing so. Don’t think about what’s being whittled, just let your hands work on their own.

You consider whittling but you don’t have anything sharp enough.

You stare deeply into the flames and wrack your brain. You see images of yourself felling trees with an ax. Hauling stones and logs and slowly building the cabin. Planting a garden full of herbs and vegetables. Dragging a cart containing a heavy iron stove and glass panes. Building furniture. You remember preparing for one… no two long winters.

But there are obvious gaps and holes. You struggle but certain things absolutely allude you, like something has torn holes in your memory. There is a definite pattern to what’s missing.

You recall again the figure that walked toward you after the cabin exploded. A shadow walking toward you with cruel intent. You remember the familiar feel of the hilt of your sword in your hands, knuckles white, sweat and blood beading on your face. But… everything blanks out after that.

And the sword isn’t here. And those memories aren’t either.

You are carrying:
Traveler's clothing (worn)
Well traveled leather boots (worn)
Belt and scabbard (worn)
Old shovel
Unadorned gold ring with the inscription "I'll always love you, ****** --C"

You are missing:
A picture, torn from its frame
Memories
Something extremely important
Your sword

Shit I wrote allude instead of elude and I’m out of edits this is going to kill me. The self-owns will never end.

The cruel shadow is just a personification of the abstract concept of self-owns. This is all a metaphor for marital discord. I SEE YOUR GAME

I will neither confirm nor deny these allegations.

While I’m waiting to see if we burn the cabin down or not, and I know it’s dark how about we:
Climb the highest tree and see what we can see around us.

A rather tall tree stands at the edge of the glade. You scramble up it’s boughs and peer out over the primeval forest.

Even without the moon in the sky you can see well enough under the stars. The forest stretches out in all directions for further than you can see. The nearest village is over a day’s walk away to the South and not visible from here, a fact that informed your choice of this glade. You wanted to be left to your own business. You never go there unless you absolutely have to, and cover your face when you do.

You turn your attention Northward toward the heart of the forest. It is black and calm for several moments but suddenly a bright emerald light shines into the sky through the trees and sets the entire forest to an errie glow.

You get a sense of foreboding just looking at it. You try to focus in on the light and feel a hum in your bones, a pressure on your eyes and then dizziness and nausea wash over you. You have to close your eyes and clutch tighter onto the branch you’re clinging to.

When the feeling subsides and you open your eyes again, the light is gone and the distant forest is dark.

That light was in the oldest part of the forest, several days journey away on foot.

You climb back down and return to the fire.

:siren: Voting is closed.

You decide to keep your scabbard, you can’t remember why but you feel it belongs at your side

But the cabin… Well, it’s ruined, and you can’t stay here anymore, even if things had turned out differently, it’s hardly safe now that you’ve been attacked.

You gather dry grasses and kindling and set a pile at the base of one of the cabin walls and with a burning stick from the fire you set it ablaze. The flames lick up the logs, consuming the kudzu vines and forcing you back from the heat.

You sit on the stump by the fire, slowly chewing a cooked root, the orange glow from the burning cabin reflected in your eyes. Before long, the life you built over the last several years is engulfed in flames. You’re not sure how you feel about this. But you steel yourself and think to the future.

Your name is

• Astrid
  • Diola
  • Cereza
  • Sandra

0 voters

And you must retrieve what is yours.

Do you sleep before setting off on your journey?

• Leave now
  • Wait until morning

0 voters

Whether you choose to sleep or set out: What do you plan to do next? Please write in.

You are carrying:
Belt and scabbard (worn)
Old shovel
Root vegetables (1 meal)
Unadorned gold ring with the inscription
  "I'll always love you, ****** --C"

You are missing:
Memories
Your sword
1 Like

Let’s go northward and see what’s up at the heart of the forest. If there’s a vengeful Forest Ghost around there we’re really gonna need to apologize to them.

I’ll close voting in a couple hours.

Your name is Astrid, a name of great renown and a name that just wanted to be left alone.

Your life is reduced to ash. In the last day you’ve been robbed, beaten, and knocked unconscious. Everything you cherish has been absconded with. Are you pissed? Sad? Resigned? Whatever the feeling, you stand from aside the fire, pocket the leftovers of your meal, straighten your skirts and fashion a torch. You did sleep all day, technically, so you decide to head out now, despite the danger, and begin your trek directly north into the dark forest.

The forest is familiar ground, you forage and hunt out among the trees nearly every day, but not usually at this time of night. The wind is still tonight, you hear very little sound aside from the crickets and occasional hoot of an owl far in the distance.

You find a well-traveled animal path heading north and walk for nearly four hours without event, occasionally finding a view of the stars to keep your sense of direction, before something strange gives you pause. You hear… jovial music and see the glow of a campfire in the distance ahead of you.

Click for music!

You can faintly make out what appear to be three figures around the campfire, but they are too far away to make out any details. They appear to be playing music, singing (though you can’t make out the words) and you occasionally hear the sound of laughter.

While you pause to decide what to do, you hear the snapping of twigs ahead of you and you duck behind a tree and shield your torch. You hear… cloth shuffling and the sound of water hitting the forest floor, followed by a sigh of relief. One of the revelers seem to have stepped away from the fire to relieve themself. They don’t seem to have noticed you yet.

What do you do?

You are carrying:
Belt and scabbard (worn)
Old shovel
Root vegetables (1 meal)
Unadorned gold ring with the inscription
  "I'll always love you, Astrid --C"

You are missing:
Memories
Your sword

Politely wait for the figure to stop peeing, then act as though you’re a passerby who likes to dig random holes in the woods. My guess is goblins, drunk humans, or drunk goblins. But that doesn’t mean they’re harmful, they could be nice enough. But just in case, keep the 'ol shovel at the ready.

Consider straying briefly from the path
Ugh, people

Pee over his pee to establish dominance.
##Don’t really do this.

Wait until he is done and then approach carefully, try to make out who they are and talking about first.