Astrid and the Hollow Heart [CYOA]

Forgive me, I’m gonna hog a bit!

This. Check the dresser first. Put on the better clothes, put on the belt and scabbard, is there a sword in It? If not pick up ANY sharp tool and slide it in the belt.

This too, but before heading to the garden look in the mirror again, how do I feel at my reflection?
Before going to the garden look at the picture frame, how do I feel about it and its torn status?

Finally, Forage in the garden.

:innocent:

The garden is completely overgrown with kudzu. The extent to which the vines are choking out all the other plants is… unnatural.

You dig through the garden and manage to successfully harvest a small amount of medicinal herbs that you know are good for treating minor wounds. You also find a couple root vegetables and a shovel.

Back in the cabin, you take the travel clothing and the scraps of cloths and bring them out to the fire. Taking some time, you use the scraps to make bandages and the medicinal herbs and boiled water to dress all of your wounds. Some of these scraps look familiar and you know they’re not from your clothes. Your head pounds at the thought.

You discard your tattered clothes and change into your travelling outfit. The outfit is well made, the skirts and tunic have plenty of pockets for holding items and the thick cloth offers some manner of defense against the dangers of the forest. You feel comfortingly nostalgic wearing these clothes, but something is missing.

[quote=“Jenner, post:21, topic:2025”]
Put on the better clothes, put on the belt and scabbard, is there a sword in It? If not pick up ANY sharp tool and slide it in the belt.
[/quote]You grab the scabbard and tighten the belt around your waist. The scabbard is empty.

Muse on the advantage using a shovel as a weapon would give you over a sword. Discard the scabbard. Become the hero you were meant to be.

(I’m sorry, I had to.)

Dig up some kudzu root, boil it and eat it.

1 Like

Whoops I must have overloaded the game with too many prompts!

::slows down::

Search all the pockets in your travelling outfit.

how do I feel at my reflection?
[/quote]Your nose still looks like hell and is throbbing a bit, but you did manage to snap it back into place. You get the sense you’ve done this before.

This outfit makes you feel like you could do anything, but the missing sword worries you.

look at the picture frame, how do I feel about it and its torn status?
[/quote]Your head pounds. You feel a deep dread in the pit of your stomach.

You take the shovel, it’s better than nothing. You think long about the empty scabbard and feel that it is incredibly important… but…

Do you keep the scabbard or leave it behind?

• Keep it
  • Leave it behind

0 voters

You prepare a tea from the roots of the kudzu vines in the stockpot and drink it. Your headache begins to subside and you feel much better.

You quickly pat down your pockets and take an inventory

You are carrying:
Traveler's clothing (worn)
Well traveled leather boots (worn)
Belt and scabbard (empty)
Old shovel
An unadorned gold ring

You are missing:
A picture, torn from its frame
Your sword
Something extremely important

Check the ring for an inscription.

The ring is engraved with a message on the inside, a message to you. It says

I’ll always love you, ****** --C

Even with the kudzu medicine taking effect, your head absolutely splits open for a moment.

Please choose a name for the heroine.

Craig.

…Kidding, kidding.

Actual suggestion, Cereza, but maybe someone else can come up with something less boring!

The C is who the engraving is from, btw. Just so you’re don’t feel limited.

Clearly those six asterisks implies her name is Astrid.

Not being able to edit is KILLING ME. We’ll vote on the name when you leave the glade (spoiler: you’'ll be leaving the glade eventually)

Also I can’t believe you cracked the headache puzzle so fast, bro.

Oh, in that case…

Frank.

Or, in the advanced six-asterisk theorum, Sandra

Oh and keep suggesting things to do.

… … … … …

Diola
Diola is a Yoruba name that roughly translates to, “What will tomorrow bring?”

… … … … … … :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

Grab a big branch, light in in the furnace.

##Set. The. Cabin. On. Fire.
Watch it burn, the leaping flames reflected in my eyes.

This is a big enough decision to put it to a vote.

Do you torch the cabin?

• Burn it to the ground
  • Leave it be

0 voters

Cook and eat the root vegetables you found in the garden.

I mean, there’s something to be said about the poetry of burning down the gutted remains of your home at the start of a grand adventure. Our hero is a blank slate right now. Maybe he’s a dramatic soul at heart, maybe he just likes fire.

1 Like

You wrap the root vegetables in leaves and set them in the coals of the fire to cook. You sit by the fire, prodding it with a stick and try to collect your thoughts and try to work out what you’re going to do next.

Your cabin is destroyed, your pastoral life here is shattered, and several things are missing. You have a deep sense that you absolutely must retrieve something extremely important. But you can’t even remember what it is.