Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis (Crime Island Adventure)

rpg
video
informative

Onwards, to further and further tactics!

Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis [14] Volcanicity

Video Length: 45:39

Starting us off today, we take a look at the results of all the off screen Quest grinding I did. I made…some use of Quest mode, to acquire funds to buy some more spells for the party and to get some shoes for Gaston that let him walk on water. We also got a fair share of items as well, mainly just armour but we did get a powerful fire element spear for Trobby. Ironically this spear is something you can get in the map we’re going to, but I forgot to actually pick it up during the map (I’ll pick it up during training). Now, unfortunately, Quest mode DOES count the kills and time spent in it, at least mechanically, so me not showing them off is…unfortunate, but it’s okay! We weren’t going to be counting the Quest mode kills in thread anyway, and apparently when you beat the game you get an official kill counter by the game’s method of counting, so we can probably update the list from there. But yeah, that is somewhat unfortunate, but ultimately for the best for my purposes.

Incidentally, if you don’t…think this is fair, me grinding to get some powerful equipment, I completely understand that. But you’ve gotta understand that otherwise we’d have basically nothing in terms of gear, since this path really starves you for goth. The A Path give you 1000 and 2000 goth rewards constantly, and B Path gives you…not, that, at all. And that’s weird.

Anyway let’s talk about the map we’re going on today. It’s Mt Aquila, the active volcano on Ovis! This is Eleanor’s shortcut to the cape where Berevra is, and I mean that…that sure is a shortcut. This isn’t the hardest fight in the world, and mostly just lets me show off just how powerful our army has become. Haste spells to increase our movement speed and accuracy, powerful gear that gives us the edge against these monsters and demi-humans, it’s actually pretty great. We also spend some time having Celestine read some law books so she goes from Chaotic to Lawful, for important reasons later (she’s a patron and wants to be a knight). We also manage to obtain an emblem on Gaston that we quite want; Gibe of the Fallen Angel! This lowers his alignment to Neutral, so now he can be a Dragoon…once we have dragon scales anyway.

Once the map is over, we reach the cape where Berevra is…only to be ambushed by Rictor and Father Hamen. We get some…more than creepy dialogue with the Father, only for Rictor to send him aside so he can reveal that he’s been in on the sacred spear quest the entire time! And he even knows it’s name, Longicolnis. And, he even knows it’s origin…a spear fashioned from the horn of a fallen angel. The lucifer spear, Longicolnis, the GUN OF SATAN. This is actually a REALLY cool reveal, to me. We’re not just hunting some strange powerful artifact, we’re hunting THE strange powerful artifact. Everything that is happening on war-crime island is for this spear. It’s fantastic. Things start to get hectic, but then…mysteriously, Eleanor’s necklace causes everyone to fall to their knees! With that opening, Gaston and Eleanor (and presumably the entire rest of our army?) leap off the cape’s cliff face into the ocean!

We then kinda end up at Berevra’s house since we were gonna need to swim there anyway. We finally meet the golden scaled mermaid! She tells us where she puts it, and reveals that Eleanor is NOT her daughter at all and is instead just a survivor of one of the many burnt to death towns Lodis left in it’s wake. That’s good to know. Also somewhat unfortunately, the location of the spear is not here. It’s far, far north. So we won’t be able to get it just yet.

And with that…we finish chapter 1 of the game, and get a cool little interlude into chapter 2. The White Fang troops are no longer a problem, leaving only Gaston’s rag tag gang to fight against Rictor’s army…though most of his forces left so he could focus on his real goal of finding the spear. Slowly but surely we’re building our forces for an eventual confrontation, one that we won’t be able to avoid. We’ll have to come to blows with Rictor eventually.

But, things are still good. We have an advantage. We know where the spear is, and we have the mysterious Eleanor and her pearl necklace that is clearly more important than it first appears. We get a cute little romantic scene to round us out today, wherein she mentions how awful snow is. I agree. But with that, we’re done for today! I hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you all next time.

Emblem time! Only the one emblem, but it’s a good one.

Gibe of the Fallen Angel: In order to get this, you’ve gotta be a cleric or priest. Simple enough. Less simple is that then you need to kill three people, outside of training. Thankfully Gaston’s learned a lot in the knight and ninja classes, so even as a Cleric Gaston was able to easily slice his enemies into pieces to get this emblem. When you do get it, it lowers your alignment by one step. If you’re lawful you’re now neutral, and so on.

Onward, to chapter two!

Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis [15] Thriller Night

Video Length: 18:01

In this episode, we officially begin chapter two of the video game! We’re like, a third of the way done now. Two or three of our units are at end game class wise and Gaston may as well be even though I’m gonna have him be a dragoon. With this level of power, what can the game exactly throw at us? Well, heading to Gryllus woods, we find out! Today, we’re tangling with the undead!

Zombies are your bog standard units. If you see a zombie soldier, you best believe they’re gonna do the basic ass soldier thing. Zombie wizard’s gonna throw some light magic your way, but otherwise is the same. Allegedly zombies have poison firsts (game’s typo, not me) but I’ve never seen that and we likely never will given, if it IS meant to be fists like I think, literally no zombie but archers who are counter punching will hit with a fist attack. And given the point we’re at in the game no one will ever hit with a fist attack ever again, pretty much. Ghosts, meanwhile, are a different sort of unit. They’re not technically monsters, they’re…kind of a “class” actually? It’s weird, but the game considers ghost a class, a class that humans can unlock only by dying and being revived with the bane spell Cursed Existence. There is a good chance I will murder a random recruit to show this off at some point. Ghosts can cast low level bane magic, and teleport to move! The game says they’re immune to physical attacks and…I mean all of our actual weapons are magical so maybe that means they don’t count, but given the one ghost that gets Don Quixote in this episode I don’t think the game is telling the truth on that.

The major strength both ghosts and zombies have, however, is their ability to revive! After two or three turns, the undead rise from their grave with about a quarter or so of their health left! It’s pretty annoying, not least of which because the only way to permanently take them down is through having a cleric. It does, however, make for a really silly kill count this episode. Blue’s gonna be the only one to do a murder this episode…meaning he’s gonna get Centurion, becoming a slightly buffer cleric. The cleric and priest classes have two ways of dealing with undead. Exorcism, which is a basic AOE spell like all the other elements, but instead of dealing damage it just has a percentile chance of permanently removing undead from the field! It only works if they’re up and about though. Then they have Faith, which only works on the reviving corpses…but is GLOBAL range, and never misses! So that’s pretty cool. As well, because exorcisms are not TECHNICALLY kills, I don’t think they count against the ability to become a Priest. They’re not KILLS, specifically, they’re EXORCISMS. I’m pretty sure this is how it works, don’t quote me, and none of the guides have info on this. The only way to beat undead encounters otherwise is to make every single unit fall down at the same time, which the game counts as a win in your favour. No one gets a kill in that case since you can’t…KILL an undead, they’re already dead.

Speaking of kill counts, Gaston, Celestine, Deme, Dataninja, and Trobby all participated in Quest grinding, and as a result will not have accurate kill counts to DataNinja’s amazingly well put together kill counter. This is best shown by the fact that during the exactly one bit of grinding I did to buy Celestine water walking boots, he got Blood Reign (which requires killing 25 people total). This is unfortunate…however! I recently read that the game does show each unit’s kill counter at the end of the game, so for now we can rest easy knowing that DataNinja will be catching the regular murders, and the game can shore up what nonsense I did in Quest mode. I will try not to over grind in the future Quests, however. Just wanna put things on the table.

The one final point that needs raising here is…this level actually has a secret. If you wait too long, more undead start to spawn. And by spawn I mean after a certain point every undead that you remove is almost immediately replaced. It can lead to this map going pretty long! Thankfully all our units are stupid ridiculous so we were able to rip the zombies apart before they could do that. But yeah, that’ll be it for today. Hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you all next time for another video that may be as short as this one!

Emblem time! We’ve got two emblems to talk about, since the other emblem we saw get got this episode was already known to us thanks to Stan.

Blood Reign: You’ve murdered 25 people! Congrats, that sort of thing sticks with you! People with this emblem exude an aura of malice three tiles large that makes enemies get -1 to their morale gauge. This is pretty signifigent, since a -1 works out to be around -13%ish of their numbers, so now every enemy near Gaston is just that much weaker. Added to the fact that we now have two valkyries with Eleanor and Trobby, and we can put the serious hurt.

War God: Oh hey look it’s the serious hurt. If you do over 200 damage to a unit, you get this emblem! It increases your strength by 30, but it also reduces your int by 30! I’ll talk more about how I think emblems as they are in this game are inherently flawed and not that good, but I do like War God. If you do it actively, and you basically have to actively get it to get it, you were never gonna use magic on that unit anyway. Except for buff magic, which isn’t really effected by int most of the time.

Happy Monday. Have a Lodis.

Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis [16] Euphaire

Video Length: 30:00

If this and the next couple videos sound weird, it’s because I recorded them in the morning and was just…not super feeling well? It’s weird.

In this episode, we head off to Blete, one of the villages Lodis set on fire! There are other villages that they ravaged, but this is one of them (and it’s a slightly plot important once since apparently Eleanor was a survivor of the attack). Blete now is full of zombies of all stripe, and it’s up to us to clear them out. However, at the head of the zombies is a living being, Euphaire, a powerful shaman (unique Siren class) with a special ability; the ability to convert her HP into MP for others. On top of that, she’s also got the first summon spell in the game, Salamander!

Summons are an interesting sort of spell. Only Siren’s, Priests (to a degree), Deneb, and one other thing we won’t mention here can use summons. They do a ton of damage…but piecemeal, around 20 per hit. The amount of hits a summon has is determined by your int, and I believe the max hits is like 13? That’s a lot. Unfortunately Summons are a little inaccurate, but with morale buffs flying around and positioning being a thing, you can make your accuracy pretty high. The other thing to keep in mind with summons is that they hit everyone in the range, friend or foe, so despite the massive size of the AOE you tend to only want one or two people with it if you can help it. I think summons are interesting, in that sense.

The only other living unit on this map is Pit, a warlock! Warlock’s are masters of physical and magic, though they focus on support spells beyond their special ability Barren Soul, which is a spellblade attack that hits the target’s elemental weakness. Pit here has Fluid Transfer, a support spell only certain classes can use, which let them transfer their MP to another unit! You can see how having a fluid magic user next to a summoner could be problematic, especially given Euphaire’s Energy Transfer means she can, for no real cost beyond health, fill up the Fluid Transfer warlock…who will then fill up Euphaire, or other summoners. It’s a pretty hefty combo! So we’ll be doing our best to recruit Pit, if only so we can snatch that spell from him!

Once all the violence has been properly applied, Euphaire falls down and a ghost pops out of her. Turns out, her father possessed Euphaire with her mother’s spirit after she was killed, and the process drove her spirit into a corrupt state. By beating her to death we purified her of the ghost, and she asks to join us, which we readily accept. Somewhere out there, her father is also around, and she hopes to meet him. I wonder if we will (we obviously will). I’ve got Thoughts and Opinions about Euphaire and her Dad, but I’ll save those for when we actually recruit him. For now, let’s just enjoy the fact that we’ve got a powerful spell in our pocket now, with an equally powerful unit behind it.

That’ll be it for today. Hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you all next time!

Hey, I know this is strange, but what if…we did another Lodis. Just for the hell of it.

Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis [17] Morale Effects

Video Length: 26:32

In this episode, we set off to Vespa once more to continue the plot! At Vespa, we’re attacked by Surgat, a recurring random old man surrounded by beasts. He holds no allegiances other than animal, and will do us a violence because someone paid them. This fight is a little tricky since his beast whip, plus his being a Beast Tamer, means all of his monsters within three tiles of him are getting +2 to morale. That’s pretty significant!

Otherwise that’s it. There’s very little to talk about in this one. After we beat it we get a strange scene of Rictor finding a mysterious white haired girl, and chasing after her. Calling out her name; Malicia. That’s foreboding.

Hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you all next time!

It occurs to me that there is an emblem on Gaston (and Ivanna) that I may have neglected to mention. I don’t recall if I have or not!

Berserk: You get this bad boy if you bring an enemy down from max hp to dead in one go! I got it on Ivanna by mistake, and on Gaston semi by purpose, thanks to using Glycinia during training. All it does is modify your biorhythm gauge, and honestly given how that’s not even remotely on screen and we have no way of testing it’s effects, that basically means nothing! It probably does something, but it’s gonna be so minuscule I doubt we could even calculate it. Still though, it’s a fancy red skull shaped badge pinned to our coat, and that’s cool.

Episode ever so slightly late due to DST being awful.

Zodi Play: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis [18] Elrik

Video Length: 31:11

In this exciting episode, we make our way over to Belleza, wherein we meet Elrik. He’s Ephaire’s dad, and thinks Ephaire is still possessed by her mom! So now it’s time to murder us all to soothe her spirit! Elrik is a Summoner, which is to say he’s a reference to regular Ogre Battle’s second primary magic using unit, the Dollmaster. They don’t actually use their dolls in any particular way in Ogre Battle proper, but here he has the unique ability to summon a “golem” to hit someone. It’s a tricky ability I’ll show off later. He’s also got on Fenrir, the ice element summon! The only other thing of note on this map is that there is a ninja with Warp Shoes, which we want! Warp Shoes let the wearer teleport, which as you can imagine is a super important thing. The only issue is deciding who to put them on…

We put the blade to Elrik and kill his dumb ass…which of course means we recruit him to his army, after some lovely talk about how undead are evil and not to be used at all. Father and daughter have been reunited! And with that…Elrik and Euphaire are now done with their plot and have literally not one single thing left to contribute, beyond helping us fight. I realize that, as optional units, this makes sense. You shouldn’t build your plot to assume you have optional units…but, I mean…why even have them in the first place? Not for nothin’, but Eleanor could have Energy Transfer and that’d make sense, and having a special unit to reference the Doll Master does MAKE SENSE, but…these two have a lot of gravitas thrown their way, and ultimately they’re just two randos we come across. It’s weird. And really it’s not that I don’t MIND being given two really powerful spellcaster units, it’s just…weird, I guess. It’s another example of how this game is kind of off kilter in a lot of regards. The biggest thing of that being, unlike the mermaids, you do have to kill these two to recruit them. No weakening them and letting them run like the mermaids!

But yeah, that’s it for today. I hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you all next time, for further plot! And by further plot I mean we face the earth summon user probably.

I sense…a Lodis appearing.

Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis [19] Gnome Mercy

Video Length: 41:25

Rictor sends a rando we’ve never heard of to fight us! It goes about as well as you expect, and we pick up the Gnome summon from it. There’s not much else plot wise in this one, but we do get some mechanical stuff going down! First off, Blue becomes a Priest. All this really does is give him better growths, and access to the highest tier virtue spells, which we don’t have any access to at the moment. Still, it’s good to have. Second, sadly, DataNinja must doff his ninja garb and become a swordmaster. Ninja’s are just not competitive late game and swordmaster is the logically choice for him. I was considering putting him to a warlock (even say so in video) but given I did talk Pit into joining…he probably will stick to DataSamurai for now.

The biggest change however is Terepat. Off screen, I changed our funky little dragon to all the other elements, so now he’s been every flavor of dragons on that scale. And once we level him up one more time in this video, he evolves into his law form, the Mushus! Mushus are winter walking dragons who give a positive aura to allies within 3 tiles. That’s all well and good, but it’s not what we want for the little guy. Instead we dump an urn of Chaos or two on him, changing him from a Mushus to a Naga (already talked about, basically just a wet snake) and from Naga to his true final form, Vritra! These dragons can ACTUALLY fly, meaning they can go wherever they dang well please, AND they give a negative morale boost to enemies within three squares, which is overall a better benefit than a positive morale boost or literally nothing (neutral dragons get kinda screwed over).

T…that all being said there’s basically nothing else to this video? We do make use of Glycinia in this map to show off her Fairy’s Embrace ability, which heals a adjacent target and lets them move again, and that’s hella powerful, but arguably not worth it given how functionally useless Fairies are otherwise. We also get the comedy of gnome just…not hitting Gylcinia at all, ever, which is honestly ludicrous. There’s also the scene at the end with Naris and Nichart, but it’s basically just vague villainous posturing. But yeah, not a lot to talk about in this one. Hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you all next time!

Anyway hey, while I’ve got your attention, I’d like to note I’m writing a novel! I’m on the second draft of the manuscript (after like four rough drafts before manuscript draft 1). It’s a modern fantasy novel staring Rei, a 17 year old girl who discovers that the supernatural is real and has to deal with the consequences. Hit me up with your email if you’d like to be a beta-reader!

It’s time for some Knight of Zodis.

Zodi Plays: Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis [20] The Sacred Spear?

Video Length: 29:20

In this exciting episode of Knight of Lodis, we head to Sotavento to finally find the Sacred Spear! However, Nichart is here blocking our path with an army of ladies (and two knights). So we’re gonna need to take care of these losers before we can find the shrine. They’re pretty tough, Nichart being an “Esquire”, a special dragoon style class. This is also the first map were we fight an enemy priest, and though they have Resurrection they likely won’t be using it on their allies in any way. The AI is…not quite smart enough for that.

I think I handle this encounter pretty well, even though it is pretty dangerous given the valkyries actually having people to buff. That all aside, I’ve nothing to really say about this one, at least from a mechanical point of view. We’ve firmly hit the point where I’ve explained basically all the mechanics, and aside from a few things we’ve hit everything the game will really throw at us. We’re still pretty early into chapter two as well, so that’s…interesting. I feel like I may have gotten to end game tier classes too quickly, but given some of the requirements FOR the end game tier classes that might just be unavoidable. It’s…interesting.

Anyway, after chasing Nichart off (his transferring stone means we’re not killing him any time soon) we can explore Sotavento a bit. As it turns out, though we did know this I just forgot, Eleanor used to live here after Berevra saved her! Of note, please realize this means Berevra ALSO crossed that volcano, carrying a baby, to reach this town, as well as had to go through what was no doubt a beginning to be haunted forest. They’re so far away from each other, the place she was born and the place she was raised, it’s a little silly! At any rate, we have a nice conversation and while it’s not pointed out in any actual sense she has given us the ability to remove her pearl necklace! We won’t be putting it on anyone other than her though, no real reason to.

Finally, we make our way to where the spear is…the public ass shrine that anyone can go to if they know where it is. Surprising no one, the spear is gone. Someone has found it over the like, 15 years it’s been here. But then Gaston has a plan…just claim he has the spear. This’ll cause his enemies to start panicking, since they KNOW he can’t have the spear…but the spear IS gone, meaning SOMEONE has it. Perhaps it will drive a rift in the middle of our foes? That remains to be seen!

Anyway, that’s it for this one! I hope you all enjoyed, I’ll see you all next time.