Zodi Plays: Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Pink and Blue Power Hour)

It’s time for the final land of dreams.

Zodi Plays: Kirby’s Dream Land 3 [12] [FINALE] Z E R O

Video Length: 12:26

In this one, we leap into the Hyper Zone, the core of the darkness infesting Popstar, and face off against Dark Matter itself! With the power of all the star-hearts we acquired, we’ve obtained the Love-Love Stick, with the power to shoot out concentrated love at anything! You can also whack people pretty hard with it. Functionally it’s basically the same as the Star Rod and such, having a slightly stronger physical swing attached to the shooting attack. Gooey, meanwhile, activates his Dark Matter abilities and gains the little flight orbs, and can shoot out stars. I like that, combined, we shoot out both aspects of the star-hearts, that’s fun.

But yes, as said, it’s time to fight Dark Matter. It fights how you’d expect given Dream Land 2, flying around shooting it’s lightning bolts and flight orbs as a homing shot. If you’ve got two players this is actually surprisingly easy to bait into a pattern of lightning shots that you can easily take advantage of. However, much like in Dream Land 2, after taking enough abuse the Dark Matter breaks apart… but unlike in Dream Land 2, it doesn’t become some alternate battle form like Dark Matter Blade. Instead… we fight the core of Dark Matter itself. Zero.

Zero is… a very hard boss, I feel. It’s massive for one, and one of it’s attacks is just kinda moving forward in a way that can be quite difficult to dodge given Kirby and Gooey are not quite as fast as you’d think. His other attacks are just as dangerous, the first one being to summon up a bunch of mini-Dark Matters that have some slight homing on them. You can lead the shots here, so it’s not that bad. The second attack is… opening up cuts along his giant eyeball shaped body to shoot blasts of blood at you, which are thankfully non-homing and thus fairly easy to dodge, but be careful because they’re wider then you’d imagine. Zero’s third, and final move, is to zoom off screen and do an aimed fly-by, shooting a bunch of blood directly at Kirby. It’s easy to dodge as long as you keep moving.

Once you’ve put enough pressure on Zero, it proceeds to… um… look, Kirby has a History, here. Kirby games, ever since the second one, have always had a tendency to be cute and fluffy and wonderful, and then right at the end slide in some surprisingly dark stuff. Kirby’s Adventure had Nightmare, who looked pretty creepy but was otherwise not THAT spooky (beyond his death scream). Dream Land 2 had Dark Matter Sword, which is intimidating sure but not SCARY. Kirby’s Super Star was released before Dream Land 3 and it’s final boss is a horrifying eldritch goblin boy. But then we have Zero. Zero is the true start of the “Kirby is light and fluffy and cute and then suddenly horrifying” trend. Because once we’ve defeated Zero… it’s pupil explodes out in an extremely graphic and bloody fashion, and then we have to fight the so-called Zero Core, which is a floating bloody pupil shooting blood spray at us. It follows Kirby relentlessly, trying to slam into him repeatedly, and is actually REALLY challenging. And since you have to restart the ENTIRE fight if you die, it can be frustrating to get this far just to die. Thankfully, the power of love and friendship beats all.

And with that, Kirby’s Dream Land 3 is finished! We get together with all our friends, no longer horribly possessed by evil, and have a nice picnic while Adeline draws cute crayon pictures of everyone. The contrast is palpable. The end.

So yeah, that’s the end of Kirby’s Dream Land 3, both the game and this LP. I really hope you’ve all enjoyed. Me and Blue put our final thoughts in the video, but I can say again that this was a WONDERFUL experience. Beyond all the occasional difficulty complaints, beyond the absurdity of Sand Canyon’s final stage, beyond the star-heart run that quite clearly shattered me, this was one of the funniest video series I’ve ever done. Doing it co-commentary was a little tricky, and there’s still some stuff I’d like to work out in the future before doing another, but that’s something we’ll work on.

For now, I’d like to once thank everyone who is watching these videos, and especially those who support me on Patreon. It’s really appreciated guys, thank you. I truly hope you had a good time watching these. And I hope you’re ready… because next time, on the 15th of July, it’s time… for rats. Next time on Zodi Plays; DISHONORED.

@Admods this one is done. You can move it to the finished thread, just leave it open just in case.

I will commend later games for having unsettling final bosses, given they probably can’t have anything quite like Dreamland 3’s final boss. That said, no Kirby boss is going to beat “attacking with copious amounts of blood” in the horror department.

1 Like