Youtube Recommendations Thread - There are videos other than people shouting at videogames??

Steve1989 MREinfo reviews various military field rations, both current and older ones going back to the 60s.

Haylee’s World of Go/Baduk A Go player who posts videos of online games with commentary, and she also does analysis of top player games and other instructional videos.

Chess Network same as Haylee’s channel above, but for chess.

Russian animation eus347 a channel dedicated to russian/soviet animated short films, with english subtitles (mostly hardcoded). The main channel is on Dailymotion where they have a larger library.

The Korean Film Archive official international channel for the Korean Film Archive. Lots of classic South Korean films, with english CC subtitles.

1 Like

seconding Hydraulic Press Channel, and would also suggest his side channel, Beyond the Press, where he does other goofy shit like making lava and dropping red hot steel on a frozen lake

also seconding Ashens, and also would suggest his other channel with Barry Lewis, Barshens, which is basically a variety show of sorts.

1 Like

A channel devoted to Old 90’s videos and shows, with gems such as this Graphic Design Laserdisc from 1991.

2 Likes

Wrestling With Wregret Probably the best wrestling-related channel I’ve seen on YouTube. He does videos on various topics related to wrestling, from Top 8 videos, discussions of specific trends, and a weekly opinion piece on whether Smackdown or Raw was better.

Also, he’s reviewed Heroes of Wrestling. Yes, that Heroes of Wrestling.

1 Like

Classics of Game is a channel that hasn’t updated in 2 years now, sadly, but it’s a channel full of funny, out of context clips of games. Some of them might be from games you recognize, but a lot of them are really obscure, bizarre games.

Dig That Box RETRO is a channel full of hundreds of old video game commercials from around the world, and it updates pretty frequently.

1 Like

Movies With Mikey is a show that tries to do positive takes on movies even ones that mikey doesn’t personally like. He always tries to look at movies from original angles that most critics out there haven’t considered. I recommend his Dark Knight and Interstellar episodes as good starting points. Also episodes before The World’s End i would avoid imho.

Regular Car Reviews started out as an outlandish parody of every amateur car review going on around Youtube and went on to wax philosophically about the time and mood various cars reflect.

Oh, and poop jokes.

Regular Car Reviews used to have some problematic language in their early stuff but thankfully they’ve buttoned up a lot since then.

:siren::yaybob::ocelot::dogeep:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :dogeep::ocelot::yaybob::siren:

1 Like

I would definitely second Errant Signal and SuperBunnyHop they’re two of my favourite channels.

Not youtube but SFDebris is pretty great and I’ve been a fan of his stuff forever. He started out only doing review/analysis of Star Trek, highlights of which include The Wrath of Khan, Threshold and Tapestry, but he’s also been doing non star trek Sci-Fi stuff for a few years now and he’s usually really funny with some interesting well thought out and researched analysis.

Lazy Game Reviews is a great channel about old PCs, obsolete peripherals and DOS games. He’s gone more off DOS stuff recently but it’s probably the only channel you’ll see someone playing GTA V on a pinball controller. His Tech Tales series about old Silicon Valley success stories and forgotten tech companies is really interesting too.

Mark Brown’s Game Maker’s Toolkit
is a really good series about design. I think sometimes he discounts context for his stuff but the ideas he talks about are really interesting regardless.

Cool Ghosts, which is some of the same guys from Shut Up Sit Down but mostly Matt Lees, really positive stuff and also pretty out there humour on some of their videos. I’m a big big fan. Their Bloodborne analysis is great, and the stuff Lees was putting out before he launched Cool Ghosts is good too. Particularly this video.

EDIT: somehow missed BlazeHedgehog already mentioned Game Maker’s Toolkit, but yeah, Strong second from me.

2 Likes

Can’t believe kaptainkristian hasn’t been mentioned yet. They release consistently excellent short form video essays on a wide range of topics. The editing always amazes me, one of my favorite channels.

1 Like

I think this thread should also be discussion of youtube video things. HBomberguy has released another massive 2 hour long video this time about Sherlock and how Moffat ruined it:

It is such a good long video explaining reasons why I dropped off of the show during season 3 and never got around to watching season 4 and also some of the similar things are reasons why I didn’t like a lot of Moffat’s run on Doctor Who as show runner. (I hope this season is good because I like Capaldi as an actor but the whole “The Doctor is a smart guy who solves everything - also don’t mind not having explanations for the mystery who cares about that.” did pervade all of Matt Smiths years and the first Capaldi year very much.

1 Like