Younger Me Made a Game! - WolfQuest

Link Directory
Part 1a: Wherein AIYEEEE, It’s IE! <-- You are here.
Part 1b: Wherein dragons are pansies.
Part 2: Wherein bandits are an unlimited resource.

Part 1a: Wherein AIYEEEE, It’s IE!

image Joat
Wow, this is gonna be embarrassing.

So, from a young age, I had dreams of being a game designer, and after a while, I found that I actually had some aptitude for coding. And so, at a young age (middle school), I decided to make a web-based game! And the “at a young age” certainly shows.

But before we continue, I’ll go ahead and tell you about another aspect of this LP. My beloved suggested that I have experiment with my LP style to help it stand out. And I figured, sure, why not? But the question is, what do I have that no other LPers have, that can help me stand out?

And the answer: Tulpae.

A Tulpa is basically another being inside your head, kinda like a really advanced imaginary friend crossed with a benevolent split personality. That’s a really oversimplified explanation, but it’ll do for now. Anyway, for this experimental mini-LP (and more LPs down the road, if this is successful), I and my two Tulpae, Fluffy and Sylvanus, will be commenting together! Even though neither of my Tulpae existed yet when I made this game, but oh well.

image Joat
Welcome, my friends, to WolfQuest! This game is so old, I had to run Internet Explorer in IE7 compatibility mode to get it to work at all.

As you approach the gate, the gatekeeper sees you and says, “Welcome, traveler, to the city of Banin. Are you here in war or peace?”

image Joat
War? Alone? Did the gatekeeper miss breakfast? I think the gatekeeper missed breakfast.

“Peace,” you say to the gatekeeper.

He gives you a smile and says, “There’s something about you, but I can’t place it.” The gatekeeper pauses for a moment. Then, with a smile on his face, he says, “You seem to be much more than just an ordinary traveler. I have a feeling that because of you, great things shall happen in this town.”

“Whoa, where’d that come from?” you think.

image Sylvanus
Agreed.

image Fluffy
Where did that come from?

image Joat
My hind.

image Sylvanus
Mm.

Thanks to a friend of mine named Flare for the artwork of my Tulpae, by the way! And while we’re at it, a thanks to Kaye for my avatar!

You enter the town and look around yourself in awe at the huge structures, statues, and the like that are part of the daily life of those who reside in Banin. Then, you see it in the distance; the tallest structure of them all, the Banin Clock Tower, fabled to be a portal to another world. Of course, very few believe this tale, but the possibility of it being true is too great; you must check out the tower.

image Fluffy
I wonder which planet it goes to. Pluto? This was when Pluto was still a planet, right?

image Joat
Thanks for making me feel old, Fluffy.

image Fluffy
You’re welcome~!

image Joat
Anyway, looking it up, it technically was. When I wrote that part, Pluto had about two months left before being redefined as a “Dwarf Planet”. Insert predictable Snow White joke here.

When you approach the legendary Tower, two very strong-looking guards get in your way. “For security reasons, I must ask your name,” one guard says.

image Joat
Flawless security system.

Seeing no reason to lie, you tell them your true name.

image Joat
And the default name is me thinking I’m clever for starting the default name with the first few letters on the upper row of the keyboard.

image Sylvanus
Mm. As good as any.

image Joat
Certainly easy to type.

Anyway, after clicking the Go button…

“I don’t seem to recall hearing your name in this town before. I have no knowledge of you causing trouble in this town, so you are allowed permission to enter the Clock Tower. Take care, Qwerto.”

As you approach the Clock Tower, you hear mysterious voices coming from inside. From what you have heard, people very rarely go into the Clock Tower, and then only for maintenance. The Clock Tower seemed to be working fine, so the voices are very unusual indeed.

image Joat
If the clock tower is working fine, might that not be possibly due to it being well-maintained? Prevention is better than cure, so to speak.

As you enter the Clock Tower, it seemed that you were getting closer to the source of the voices. As you ascend the starways [sic], the voices seem closer and closer, until you finally get to the top and see the source of the noise.

It is a person and a monster. But they aren’t fighting, in fact, they seem quite at ease with each other’s company.

image Joat
Yes, I do imagine that ascending the “starways” would result in encountering some pretty interesting monsters. And possibly Putt Putt, depending on whether he’s been to the fireworks factory that day.

“Look, Lancie. A visitor,” the monster says. His voice is almost human. In fact, he almost looks human, were it not for the orange fur and the tail. He even wears clothes, amazingly.

“Will you please stop calling me that? My name’s Lance, not Lancie, Lancipoo or anything like that,” the human says.

“I never called you Lancipoo. I’ll save that name for a rainy day.”

image Joat
You can thank Poshul from Chrono Trigger for that name idea.

Speaking of names, Lance actually isn’t my character. It’s a character made by my best friend at the time. I don’t think he ever used the character for anything, so this may well be the only time he appears in a public space. I could be wrong, though. It’s been quite some time since we last spoke.

Lance rolls his eyes and approaches you. “I haven’t seen your face around here. If you are new and have come to our town to investigate the rumors, I am afraid your efforts are in vain. Those rumors are just that: rumors,” Lance said. You don’t know whether you are disappointed or relieved.

image Sylvanus
I’d imagine both.

image Joat
In-character, at least. As far as the actual player is concerned, I believe the right term is “unconvinced”.

image Fluffy
Yeeeeah…

image Joat
That said, I genuinely don’t recall what my plan was for the tower at the time. I don’t think I had a plan. I think I was just writing by the seat of my pants.

image Fluffy
Gum birds have pants?

“Don’t worry, though. Banon still has a lot of great things. Like the statues, the mall, the buildings, the mall, the…” the monster begins as he walks toward you.

“You mentioned the mall twice,” you interrupt.

“I know. The mall here is the biggest one I have ever seen,” he says.

“It’s the only one you’ve seen, Draco,” Lance says.

image Joat
Given that this is a medieval sword-and-sorcery setting, the fact that he hasn’t seen many malls is not exactly surprising. That said, I wonder what sorts of stores a medieval mall would have.

“What’s your point?” Draco asks.

“Draco, what am I going to do with you?”

“Buy me a snack?”

Lance gives a resigned sigh. “Sure, but be careful. Remember the lid incident?”

image Joat
That and the noodle incident, yes.

image Fluffy
Noodle lid~!

image Joat
Is that a lid for noodles, or a lid made of noodles?

image Fluffy
Yes!

“Relax. He said he forgave us.” Draco turns toward you and says, “Wanna come? We could always use the company.”

“I guess so,” you say.

image Joat
Free food, yay!

As you walk through Banin, a man stops and greets Draco and Lance by name, then asks your name. You tell him, then he starts to leave. However, just as he does so, another man, this one wearing a ski mask ( A tad impractical for June , you think) jumps into his way and holds a knife to his chest. “Don’ nobody try to stop this robbery or the man will get it,” the masked man yells.

image Joat
Or, y’know, you could just rob someone who’s alone.

image Fluffy
But then he wouldn’t be part of the plot!

image Joat
He already isn’t part of the plot, though. He kinda just… happens. He’s pretty much just the tutorial fight. Except without an actual tutorial.

image Fluffy
True.

Lance clears his throat to get the masked man’s attention. As the masked man looked at Lance, he froze (the masked man, that is), failing miserably at looking like he wasn’t scared.

This crook is going to be taken down Qwerto style , you think as you pull out your short sword. The robber no longer has his knife pointed at the hostage, but at you. You attack, Draco and Lance following your lead.

Enemy Level: 1

image Joat
Either the crook, past me, or both had some serious issues understanding this whole “hostage” concept.

image Joat
And here’s what the battle screen looks like! There isn’t really a transition between not-battling and battling. The moment you get to a story point where you need to fight, combat is immediately upon you, without even waiting for you to finish reading first.

image Fluffy
All action, no waiting!

image Joat
Funny you should say that, about a turn-based RPG.

In any case, at this point, each party member has two moves. First, there is the normal attack. If you press “Fight!” without selecting a move, it defaults to that.

The main character’s special move is Slicer (2MP), which basically just deals more damage. Draco’s is Soul Spell, which deals damage and heals allies based on his current HP, but knocks him out in the process. It costs no MP, so his MP is currently worthless. And Lance has Silver Sabre (1MP), which deals extra damage. Each character deals damage equal to their level on a normal attack. Slicer deals double damage, while Silver Sabre deals a flat 3 damage. Lance’s attack is thus superior in every way to Slicer at first level, but doesn’t scale with level like Slicer does.

Anyway, this isn’t a very threatening battle, so just using normal attacks here.

image Joat
And this is what shows up in the bottom right panel when pressing the “Fight!” button! It’s simple, but actually fairly effective. Also, the HP shown is after the displayed battling, not before. If I were to redo this, I’d list their HP at the bottom to make this clearer.

image Joat
Wow, the protagonist sure came through on this fight! Three consecutive crits!

Also, the gold is completely worthless, since a shop system was never implemented.

image Fluffy
It’s shiny, though!

image Sylvanus
Yes, it is. Shiny and useless. And heavy.

image Joat
And it can cause fevers.

image Fluffy
Yup!

“I almost love it when the bad guys strike. It keeps things interesting,” Lance says

image Joat
“Murder is fun!”

“Well, as far as I’m concerned, if every evil person in the world just disappeared, that’d be fine by me,” Draco says

“So what do we do with the guy? He’s still alive, but barely,” you ask.

“Simple; we bandage his wounds and leave him here for the town guard to take care of,” Lance says.

“I heard that only vigilantes do that in this town. Is that false too?” you ask.

“With a few possible exceptions, it’s true,” Lance says.

image Joat
Given that they were acting to stop a crime in progress and used only enough force to stop the criminal, is it really vigilante-ism at that point? I mean, yes, that included lethal force such as a sword, but if that’s all you have…

“So you two are vigilantes?” you ask.

“Well, Draco’s a vigilante in the dictionary sense, I suppose; but in terms of skill, he’s not much at it. He’s more of a fist-fighter than a vigilante,” Lance says.

image Joat
What does fighting style have to do with whether one is a vigilante?

image Sylvanus
Well, to be fair, if your fighting style has to do with dealing unnecessary wounds…

image Joat
Yeah, true.

“Lance is a vigilante in every way. It’s all in an attempt to nab one particular bad guy named Vincent Vailo, who…” Draco begins.

“You aren’t supposed to tell him that!” Lance says.

“Oopsie,” Draco said, his fox-like ears not folded back in a gesture that you have been taught to recognize as submission, but in this case, looks more like guilt.

image Joat
“Leave the plot exposition to the narrator, dagnabbit!”

Lance turns toward you. “Well,” he says, “I might as well finish what he started. The story starts a year ago. I was but a normal teenager, except for the alchemy, that is,” Lance says.

“You know alchemy?” You ask.

image Joat
If by “alchemy”, you mean “magic with a different coat of paint”, then yes.

“Yup. Now back to the story. I was fourteen years old when this happened. That jerk, Vincent tortured and killed my parents, but kept me alive ‘to suffer’,” Lance said.

“A week later, he met me. You should have seen him. He was totally emo, a wreck,” Draco says.

image Joat
Oh good heavens, I wrote that… To everyone who has lost a relative, I apologize for what I had Draco say.

“Again, more information than I wanted to give them,” Lance says.

“Sorry,” Draco says.

“Anyway, now let’s get back to more important matters,” Lance says.

“Like what?” Draco says.

“I don’t know about ‘important’. After all, we were only getting a snack,” you say.

With that, the three of you bandage the robber’s wounds, leave him for the guard to handle, then forge onward. However, before you more than a block away from the robber, you notice that it looks like it is going to rain.

image Joat
Wow, they sure took their sweet time stopping that guy from bleeding to death.

“I just felt a raindrop,” Draco says.

“We should find shelter,” Lance says.

“Aw man. I love the rain,” Draco says.

“Funny, most furry life forms tend to avoid it like it was acid,” you say.

“Draco, the last time you stayed out in the rain, you got a cold that lasted for two weeks,” Lance says.

“Fine,” Draco says. It is now sprinkling.

Draco points at a nearby restaraunt. “We can take shelter in there.”

image Fluffy
Of course~!

With that, the three of you go into the restaraunt. Once inside, you see that the restaraunt (which is actually quite posh) is empty, despite the fact that the lights are on. Most of the tables still have dishes and food on them, so it was obvious that the store was evacuated in a hurry. “What happened here?” you ask.

“Yeah, ask me. Like I’ll know,” Lance says. Suddenly, from the door that leads into the kitchen, a black-haired man with a grim expression appears. “Hello, Lance,” the man says, “How are your parents doing?”

“Vincent Vailo,” Lance said, “We meet again.”

image Joat
Wow, that was rather abrupt.

image Sylvanus
You sure were in a hurry to introduce him.

image Joat
Despite having no idea what to do with him yet. But hey, that’s just how things worked with my writing.

…And still do, sometimes.

image Sylvanus
Most of the time.

image Fluffy
Yup!

“Aren’t you happy to see me? You act like I killed your parents or something,” Vincent says.

“You’ll pay for what you have done!” Lance yells. He then lunges toward Vincent.

“So, you want to play? Very well, but be careful; I play rough,” Vincent says.

Enemy Level: 2

image Joat
This isn’t a huge boss battle, but even so, it’s still a good thing we saved up that MP during the previous battle.

image Joat
Ow.

image Joat
Ow. Again.

image Fluffy
Yeah, he sure likes hitting you.

image Joat
Yay, I didn’t get focus-fire KO’d!

Speaking of a KO, one interesting feature I put in this game: If the protagonist is unconscious, the commands given to the other party members will be ignored and they will instead do their own thing, because you’re not conscious to give them orders. I’m not sure why they decided to put some random stranger they just met in charge of their battle strategy, mind.

“Pathetic. I was hoping you would surprise me, but now I see that I was right; you aren’t worthy of my time, Lance. You or your friends. If I were to unleash my full power, you would most certainly be squashed like a bug,” Vincent says. That said, he disappears in a puff of green smoke.

image Joat
Funny, how so many evil villains are willing to slaughter hundreds of people who did them no harm at all, yet go out of their way to spare the people who try to kill them.

image Fluffy
Maybe it’s opposite day.

Lance looks so angry you can almost see smoke coming from his ears. “How did he disappear like that? It was so cool!” Draco says.

“I’d remain silent if I were you,” you say.

“Never truer words spoken,” Lance says through his teeth. After a moment of silence, he walks toward the door.

“Where are you going?” Draco asks.

“Out to train solo,” Lance says.

“Are you mad? You can’t be saying you plan on taking that guy on alone,” you say.

“I can and I shall,” Lance says as he walks out the door.

image Joat
It’s the wrong genre for that, Lance. JRPGs are about taking down cosmic figures through the power of friendship. If you want to take him on alone, try a WRPG.

“Listen, we can…” you begin, but your sentence is interrupted by the door slamming.

“Lancie’s gonna get creamed. I gotta stop him!” Draco says as he runs toward the door. You follow him out.

After following him for about an hour in the pouring rain, you and Draco arrive at the town gates… for the third time.

“Admit it, you’re lost,” you say.

“I’m sure we’ll find him soon,” Draco says.

“That’s what you said thirty minutes ago.”

“Like my optimistic mother always said, at least it’s not raining.”

“But it is raining.”

“Don’t be a literalist.“

image Joat
Or alternatively, “Don’t rain on my parade.”

“What are you two doing here? Following Lance?” the gatekeeper asks.

“You saw him?” you and Draco ask in unison.

“Settle down, boys. Yes, I saw him. Said he was going to slay an evil dragon,” the gatekeeper said.

“How unoriginal,” you say.

“I’ll save you, Lancie!” Draco yells as he runs past the gate. You follow. On your way out, the gatekeeper gives you two heal potions “For the road”.

image Joat
Wait, so I’m supposed to pour them on potholes in the road to heal them?

Anyway, this is the first (and, up to where I stopped, only) time we’re given some sort of inventory items. Here is what the inventory looks like!

image Joat
Like, totally potion, dude!

image Fluffy
Totally!

image Joat
In any case, that is where I shall close this part. And yes, I know this means I have two LPs going on concurrently on here, but hey, on DeviantArt and like sites I typically would juggle three.

Next

Previous

Part 1b: Wherein dragons are pansies.

After you catch up with Draco, the two of you travel across a large, grassy field. You travel no more than a mile, however, before you see Lance, locked in combat with a hammer. It seems that it is being held by an invisible person.

“A hammer dragon?” Draco asks. You rush in to help Lance fight the invisible menace, as does Draco.

image Joat
This enemy has no plot relevance. It is purely to emphasize the fact that, when you are a hammer, every wandering traveler looks like a nail.

image Joat
Aaaand that’s a knockout. And Draco is the only one not either down or nearly down. It’s time for…

image Joat
Fortunately, any unconscious member is restored to 1HP after combat.

image Fluffy
That way, the plot makes sense!

“I didn’t need your help,” Lance says.

“But Lancie, I…” Draco says.

“I don’t need you. I can defeat him on my own!” Lance yells.

image Joat
…Well, provided he’s substantially weaker than the invisible hammer guy that one-shotted you, at least.

“But…”

“Leave me alone!”

“Enough!” you yell, “Why are you yelling at him when he’s only trying to help?”

“I didn’t ask for your opinion,” Lance yells as he turns and runs. You follow him.

image Joat
Man, I sure turned my friend’s character into a whiny brat, didn’t I? Though, to be fair, this isn’t exactly an abnormal plot for a heroic character with a personal grudge against the villain.

Lance quickly gives you the slip and you find yourselves all alone.

“Oh no. He’ll be destroyed for sure!” Draco says.

image Joat
Well, given how embarrassing his performance against the Legendary Hammer Dragon of Level-Oneness was, I cannot say I disagree with that prediction.

“Hold on. I think I see a nearby cave. He must have gone in there.”

“Well, let’s go,” Draco says.

After you go into the cave, which is quite small, you encounter not Lance, but a large cave bear.

image Joat
I will spare you the puns I could make about that. For once.

image Sylvanus
Why start now?

image Joat
Are you saying you wish me to do it anyway?

image Sylvanus
No.

image Joat
I figured that’d happen. But hey, I still have 4HP, so not using one of those two potions yet.

image Joat
And with that, I am now at risk, albeit very tiny risk, of being KO’d next turn. So, using the potion.

image Joat
Only 25 EXP left until level up, now!

“Let’s continue searching,” Draco says.

“Do either of us have any idea where he may be?” you ask.

“Yes. He should be in the dragon’s lair, which is pretty close by.”

“Then let’s get going.” You then follow Draco’s lead to the dragon’s lair.

image Joat
Then why didn’t we search there in the first place?

image Sylvanus
Because gameplay, I suppose.

image Joat
That said, we must be pretty daring to enter the Dragon’s Lair, hm?

image Sylvanus
Mm.

By the time you arrive at the dragon’s cave, which has a very large entrance, the rain has stopped and the two of you are soaked to the bone. By now, you are both eager for some shelter and a nice cup of hot chocolate. While the hot chocolate is impossible right now, the shelter is right in front of you, as is Lance (so you suspect).

image Joat
It’s getting to be that time of year, at least in the upper half of the world, where hot chocolate is becoming a bit more appealing. I may have some tonight. I dunno.

image Sylvanus
Or tea.

As soon as you enter, you see Lance, who immediately attacks you.

Enemy Level: 0

image Joat
Enemy level zero . Ouch. Though to be fair, I did piece together how I determined enemy levels. The formula is:

Square root, rounded down, of: [[Enemy HP] x [Enemy attack power] / 10]

This means that any single character in the party would be level zero, not accounting for skills.

image Joat
Speaking of ouch…

As soon as Lance is defeated, he disentigrates. “A shifter. It’s a good thing they can’t copy spells,” you say.

“That wasn’t really Lance? What a relief,” Draco says.

“Shifters can only shift into a visible target. Lance met up with him and apparently didn’t win.”

image Joat
So, Lance < Lance - Spells. Okay, then.

“All the more reason not to wait.” Draco and you run farther into the cave until you enter a large “room” in the cave.

You see Lance unconscious on the floor next to a small black dragon, which is next to a large black dragon.

“Take care of these pests, Marion,” the large dragon says to the small one. The small dragon attacks.

image Joat
Suddenly dragons! Anyway, theoretically, we could use Soul Spell or a potion to revive Lance at the start of this combat, but we’ll start without for now. Perhaps use the one of those later as needed.

image Joat
I forgot this dragon had an attack power of two. So yeah, I should use Soul Spell.

image Joat
Woo! And with that, each character gets not only boosted stats, but also a new move! Qwerto gets Inspiration (2MP), which heals him by an amount equal to the sum of his level and all previous levels. Draco gets Fire (2MP), which deals damage equal to his level plus 3. Lance gets Gold Sabre (2MP), which deals a flat 7 damage.

“What!? How did you defeat my son?”

“By hacking and slashing,” you say.

“You shall not get away with making a mockery of the powers of Ariakan. I shall destroy you!” the dragon yells as he flies toward you.

Enemy Level: 3

image Joat
Y’know, it is rather fitting, that the level up happens right before this boss battle. This is the point at which the three of them overcome their previous shortcomings and disagreements, and finally take down the dragon in a climactic showdown! Or an anticlimactic defeat. Either way.

image Sylvanus
It would be more climactic if this boss had a name before just now.

image Fluffy
Or any build-up. Or any relevance. But it’s okay! Because dragon!

image Joat
Yes. Because dragon is the best reason.

image Sylvanus
What was that about a climactic showdown?

image Joat
But it’s okay! Because draaaagon!

Sylvanus: Not “dragon” out the fight, that’s for certain.

image Joat
Draaaaaagon!

Also, really? Only 12G? Some hoard…

“One dragon taken down Lance style. I knew I could do it,” Lance says.

image Joat
Y’know, it’s rather ironic that the guy named Lance never actually uses a lance.

“What is wrong with you?” you say.

“I’m kidding, Qwerto, ” Lance says.

“No! How can this be? I’ll be back, humans and whatever that thing is. Mark my words!” Ariakan says as he flies away.

After an akward moment of silence, Draco says, “Lancie, I’m so happy to see you!”

“Draco,” Lance says.

“What?” Draco asks.

“Stop calling me ‘Lancie’.”

“Okay, Lancie.”

“Ahem!”

“I mean Lance.”

“There’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you, Draco. A personal question,” You say.

“Yes?”

“What are you?”

“I thought you’d never ask. Okay, so maybe ‘never’ is a bit strong, but y’know. Anyway, I am a half-veron. Verons are kinda like foxes, except that foxes don’t breathe fire. At least none that I’ve ever seen.”

image Joat
Verons are a species I made up. Technically, verons also have the ability to teleport, which Draco probably has too, but doesn’t yet realize it.

“People used to think verons were evil until Draco came,” Lance says.

image Joat
Why?

“Anyway, we never got that snack, did we? Let’s head back to town and grab a bite,” Draco says.

image Joat
And take a bite outta crime!

On your way home, it begins to rain again. “Oh gimme a break,” you say.

“At least your sword doesn’t dissolve in water,” Draco says.

“You have a weird imagination,” you say.

Lance points at a small blue dot in the sky and says, “Look, up in the sky!”

“It’s a bird,” Draco says.

image Joat
I like birds!

image Sylvanus
You don’t say.

“You walked right into that one, Lance,” you say.

“No! It’s not a plane, it’s… Sardor!?” Draco says. He then assumes a combat stance while still keeping his eyes on the dot, which was now no

longer a dot, but a human wearing a blue cloak falling from the sky.

“I’ll just assume that this is not a nice guy we’re dealing with,” you say.

“It’s not. This is the infamous Sardor Esami. He’s usually surrounded by his minions, the vampires,” Lance says.

“He’s the nastiest, meanest…” Draco begins.

“Most insecure,” Lance adds.

“…baddie alive!” Draco finishes.

image Joat
He’s not kidding about the “insecure” part. Sardor was a villain in one of the first stories I ever wrote, and good heavens that story is quite the thing in its own right. But this is an LP site, not a story site, so not posting that story here. But it’s called The Adventures of Hot Rod. And no, it’s not an edgy reboot of Putt Putt, and does not have anything at all to do with cars. Because I didn’t know what a “hot rod” was, other than just something that was “cool”.

Sardor hits the ground as though he had fallen a mere two feet, then immediately runs away.

image Joat
This is also about right. Sardor was a pansy.

image Fluffy
He got beat up by a bird!

image Joat
A superpowered bird, though. And technically, he was “blasted” by said bird… whatever that means.

“Behold, the power of the mighty Sardor Esami,” you say.

“What’s with him?” Lance asks. Sardor, who is still within visible range, runs to a distant tree. Out of that tree jumps a vampire.

“How can he do that? It’s still daytime,” Draco says.

“It’s the clouds. They’re blocking the sun. Some still get through, but not enough to weaken a vampire,” Lance says as the vampire advances.

“It’s too bad we don’t have any sharp sticks,” you say.

“That’s just a myth. There are only two ways to destroy a vampire: sunlight or a sound beating.”

Enemy Level: 2

image Joat
Well, I mean, impaling someone in the heart would be pretty fatal for just about anyone, really.

“It’s a good thing that one was weak,” Lance says.

“It did the job, though. I can’t see Sardor anywhere,” you say.

“This is why I hate the guy. He has no respect for any living being other than himself, even his own minions. They have emotions too,” Draco says.

“Sorta,” Lance says, “They have some rudimentary emotions, but they have no soul.”

“But still. The guy could at least treat them better.”

“You’re too soft, Draco.”

image Joat
Soft and fluffy. And adorable.

image Fluffy
I’m soft and fluffy~!

image Joat
And adorable.

image Fluffy
Mm~!

As they speak, one question forms in your mind: what to do now. You think over the things that have happened as of late. You could:

• Try to find Sardor.
  • Try to find Vincent.
  • Join Lance and Draco in their vigilante efforts

However, since these all have to do with Lance and Draco, you decide to let them choose. “So, what now?” you ask.

“Snacks?” Draco suggests.

“I should have guessed,” you say.

Next

Previous

Part 2: Wherein bandits are an unlimited resource.

Joat: And so next, here we have the start of the improperly-centered chapter two! This is a chapter that was never finished. This is a chapter that was barely started. And this is a chapter that started… with some random mugger deciding it’d be a good idea to pick a fight with a dragon-slayer, with no context. Wee…

Joat: That said, a fairly tough robber.

Joat: Already not looking great.

As soon as you defeat the first robber, another appears, with a long sword drawn and ready to use.

Joat: This may sound like a lazy and cheap way to extend gameplay, but this time, it was a temporary way to extend gameplay. I figured that, instead of simply putting in a “The End” screen here until I put in more content, I’d instead just loop that last encounter until the player loses. So once I worked on the game again, I’d put something more interesting there. It’s just too bad that I never did work on this game again, so this is the final ending of the game, just being slaughtered by random brigands. Wee…

Sylvanus: He went down fighting.

Joat: Let’s see how far we get, hm?

Joat: At this point, 1HP left.

Joat: That HP count may be a bit confusing. The reason is, the HP/MP cap is only enforced at the end of the turn. So when the robber hit Qwerto, Qwerto had 11/9HP, not 9/9HP.

Joat: Ouch.

Joat: This is the first time I’ve seen this glitch, because this is the first time I’ve gotten to level three in this game. Saving that potion sure helped!

Joat: The boost to damage is definitely helpful, and this also means that Inspiration now heals by six, so I’ll likely be using my MP on that now instead of Slicer.

Joat: Anyway, I’ll go ahead and “fast forward” somewhat along the way.

Joat: …Um, okay then! I thought that glitch was purely aesthetic, but no, apparently this also means that Lance and Draco can be targeted, despite being unable to act.

Joat: And with that, Lance is out.

Joat: That’s three robbers down!

Joat: And with that, fighting fully alone again.

Joat: Anyway, from here, I’ll go ahead and “fast forward” a fair bit, since this could otherwise become quite monotonous to read.

Joat: Four down!

Joat: Five down!

Joat: Didn’t expect to get to six, there! That said, I don’t exactly expect to get to seven, either.

Joat: This is another quirk of the game.

Joat: When the party is fully eliminated, it’s not until the player pressed “Fight!” again that they’re told they’ve lost. And even then, they can keep pressing the button. Not that it does any good, mind.

Joat: And so, that’s how it ends. Not with a bang…

Fluffy: But with a BOOM!

Joat: …Um, I don’t get it.

Fluffy: Neither do I! I just felt like saying something!

Sylvanus: So, how will you end this LP, Joat?

Joat: How about with a link?

Fluffy: A link that goes bang! And BOOM!

Joat: Or allows people to experience this game for themselves. Have fun, guys! And don’t worry: While I kept it otherwise completely faithful to the original, I did go back into the coding to to ensure that it will run properly in modern browsers. So you won’t have to do what I did and run it in IE compatibility mode.

Play WolfQuest

That isn’t my site, by the way. A friend generously offered to host the game for me on his site. Also, fair warning: Pressing Enter in the name input field won’t work. You have to click the button to proceed.