You Can Play Six or Seven Games, or Just One! Let's Play Live-A-Live!

I tried to get this up yesterday, but my internet fought me the entire time.

Securing The Hostage

:radio:Sound of Shinobi

Last time, we’d just secured our first key. To use it, we need to get back on the first floor.

Bort decides the best way to get there is by jumping down the trap door.

We haven’t cleared out the area in front of the storehouse yet, so let’s get that squared away.

These guys look like a password check, but they actually just turn you away no matter what.

With them gone, we can get into the storehouse!

It’s a well-stocked storehouse too. There’s a couple of attack items, some equipment, some healing items, and more money.

More importantly, the storehouse is home to the lost souls. They spawn from the enemy in the corner; as long as she survives, the souls will keep coming. We don’t need any grinding for now, but I leave the enemies alone in case we need them later.

But that’s not the only locked door we know of! We should also check the building Goninja was hiding in.

Well, this looks simple enough.

:radio:Killing Field!

But this is the Ninja chapter, so it’s never that simple.

I do get a chance to show Poison Mist. It’s not super useful; it does terrible damage and the poison effect rarely triggers.

Uh oh. Looks like these two want to avenge their fallen brother.

And so do these guys. It’s a good thing they didn’t all come at once!

Our reward is another key, but where do we use it? It doesn’t work on the front door for the third building, so we’ll have to keep looking.

Thankfully, we’re not out of areas yet!

What kind of evil castle would this be if it didn’t have a secret underground passage?

The passage leads out to the moat, which is still swarming with guards.

The fight with the ceiling ninjas gave Bort enough experience to learn Shuriken Storm. This is a very useful move. It does solid damage and has infinite range in eight directions. It can’t hit directly next to Bort, but that’s what Shinobi Slash is for.

Bort can’t dash when he’s in the moat, but he does get a new sprite.

Oh. See that shadow just ahead of Bort? That’s one of this chapter’s bonus bosses.

We’re not getting anywhere near it. Remember how the King Mammoth couldn’t be encountered accidentally? There’s no such mercy here. That evil fish will just kill you in an instant.

But enough about that, we’ve found the dungeon! We’re here to rescue a prisoner, and our Basement Key should work on these basement cells.

Let’s start from the top of the prison and work our way down. This is a little tricky; the guard is too dangerous to fight right now, which is why I’m currently invisible.

Let’s start with these gentlemen.

Or not. Either this is a bizarre trap set by Ode Iou, or Bort just murdered two confused prisoners.

Next up is this guy, who is a trap. If you agree to feed him, he takes a healing item and gives you nothing in return. Instead, you’ll just be brought back to this screen. If you don’t want to kill this man, your only option is to avoid speaking to him altogether.

We’re down to one more prisoner up here, so here’s hoping.

That’s promising!

: You were sent to get me outta here, right? Great! Let’s get going!

Well then, let’s get to rescuing Ryoma!..Have we heard the name Ryoma before?

Did our lord send us on a rescue mission without telling us who we were rescuing? That’s wildly irresponsible!

: However…

This is just a regular blue-haired samurai, so he’s easy to take out.

I’m just going to assume that Ode Iou knows more about our mission than we do, and say that this is our actual target. Let’s get him out of here!

Well crap.

(Music Stops)

: I’m afraid I can’t let you go. You must be here to rescue that man, but that’s quite impossible, you see.

We’ve found one of Ode Iou’s inner circle. The pentagram, to be specific.

: Hehehehe…

: Still want to try it?

This is one of the few actual hints in this chapter: fighting him right now isn’t actually a good idea. But we persist anyways.

: And here I’d thought you were smarter than that. You really are a fool! Now… Behold! I will send you to my Master!!

This boss is based on a real historical figure: Amakusa Shirō was the head of a rebellion of Japanese Christians in the 1630’s, hence his battle cry.
His chant of Elohim Essaim might also be a reference to his faith, but I’m not entirely sure what it means. “Elohim” is Hebrew for God, but “Essaim” isn’t Hebrew at all. It might be a mistransliteration of the Hebrew name for the Tree of Life, but who knows? The phrase itself was apparently used to summon demons in an old anime called Akuma-kun, so the writers are probably just referencing that.

Anyways, the fight itself is a little difficult but uninteresting. Shiro can hit hard for two spaces in any direction, and most of his attacks can push you around. He also has a health-draining attack that can prolong this fight. Finally, don’t make water tiles like I did. Those heal him.

: I am im-mor-tal…

While that fight may have been a wash, it does clear up what our next step should be.

Say goodbye to the lost souls!

Not so convincing this time around, is he?

Defeating the lost souls taught Bort his next move. Strength of the Ninja is wind-based. It’s pretty powerful and it can put enemies to sleep, but it has a charge time. It’s a little risky to use while we’re on our own.

: D-defeated…! No! It can’t be!!

In case he didn’t reference Christianity enough, here’s one more for the road! It’s a little thing, but I’m surprised he says “Master” and not “Lord.” Anyways, we need to get back to that dunge-

Or he can just come to us. That works too.

: And here I was tryin’ to catch a little shut-eye… Oh well… Anyway, I am absolutely famished! Got any grub? No? Ah, well… Shouldn’t have thought so, given the circumstances… Huh?

Either option will move the scene forward, but I see no reason to lie here.

: That must mean…

: Excellent! I’ve had just about enough of this place… I suppose I’ll let you lead me out of here!

Alright, we’ve secured our objective!

Ryoma has fairly good stats. His weapon is pretty incredible though. The Yoshiyuuki give him +40 attack, and we can’t remove it.

For comparison, here’s Bort. They’re pretty similar, but Bort is two levels behind.

Since we have another party member, I decide to go take out that warden I avoided earlier.

Ryoma has three techniques. Quickdraw Wolf Fang, in addition to being my terrible D&D character, is a pretty good pistol technique. It does decent damage and inflicts a debuff.

Warning shot is a bit more limited. It doesn’t do damage and it can only shoot on the diagonals, but keeping your enemy from moving can be really useful.

Finally, Polaris Single-Blade is pretty powerful, and it has a chance of paralyzing the enemy. Not a bad list of techniques, by any means.

If you never investigated the ninja hideout, this is where you can find a Basement Key. Good luck with that though, this warden was still kind of a rough fight.

Since we’ve rescued our hostage, we’ll just be making a beeline for the exit.

We’re pretty close to this building’s entrance.

These guys don’t want to let us leave without a fight. Thankfully, only one of these guys is as strong as the warden we just fought.

Once we’re out of this castle, it’s a straight shot out of here!

Oh, right. I forgot about these two.

Well, at least they gave us a nicer looking kill count. 45 isn’t bad! Now, let’s get Ryoma back to saf-

: Let’s try staying here a little longer, hmm?

Oh. Well, I guess that’s how it’s going to be. Will Ryoma have his meeting with the castle’s lord? Why did our clan not tell us this would turn into an assassination mission? We’ll have to find out…next time!

1 Like

OK, this is going to be a large update. After this, the rest of this chapter’s updates should be short.

Welcome To The Madhouse

:radio: Sound of Shinobi

The castle’s front door is still locked, so we need to use the secret passageway again. Also, Ryoma apparently has enough room to stand up comfortably. I guess Bort just thinks that crawling looks cooler.

Ryoma has a unique snorkel sprite, which is neat.

We blazed past this room in the previous update, but there is a weapon for Bort here. It’s the first in this chapter, I think.

:radio:Killing Field

This guy was smart enough to bring bodyguards with him.

They don’t save him.

We also skipped a secret in this hallway.

The woman here will mimic our movements, so we can’t catch her. That’s fine for this run, but since I’m not doing a mass-murder run, I’ll show off how to reach her.

If you leave and re-enter the room, she’ll hide in this box. It’s locked, so we can’t reach her.

The trick is to stay invisible for an extended period of time. She’ll eventually think you’re gone.

Luckily for her, we have no intention of harming her.

Instead of leaving the castle, we can check out these two doors.

On the left, we have a trap!

: Who’re you? (wink)

Okame-no-Kata is not a difficult boss, but she can take you down if you’re not careful.

That’s not what makes her a trap.

: Who’re you? (Wink)

This is. She’ll chase Bort for the next 16 rooms. And unlike the other supernatural creatures, she counts as a kill. And, since she’s a woman, we’ll miss out on a secret item later on.
Ode Iou’s castle is the point where this chapter takes the kid gloves off, and will actively screw you over.

So let’s not do that. Instead, let’s go through the door on the right. It takes us to another room-o’-doors.

In the middle door, we find this. The old man is good for EXP.

On the left, we have these two chests containing birdlime, which is an adhesive that can be used as an attack item, and more money.

On the right, we have…this guy.

I guess it’s afraid of us? Maybe we should check out that cushion it was on.

Nope, never mind, that was a terrible idea.

radio:Killing Field

Let’s meet our first Trap Master. This guy is the laziest. “Oh, I’ll just throw a bunch of logs at them, whatever!” You only need to open up a path; destroying the trap master will get rid of the logs.

We go up the stairs to find more branching paths.

Up north, there’s a storeroom. Most of the items here aren’t useful, but that woman is guarding a jar with more money in it.

Unfortunately, she’s an enemy combatant. We’ll just ignore her; we’ll miss out on the item if we fight her.

To the south, there’s a hallway of doors. Thankfully, they all head in the same direction.

Unfortunately, it leads to another room of choices.

We came from the door on the left, so let’s check the door in the middle.

This is a pretty difficult fight, but it won’t keep us from getting that item. I’m not really sure why though, Okame-no-Kata was pretty clearly supernatural but she still counted.

Oh good. It’s just a room full of goodies.

You know what, fine. Sure, whatever.

Let’s just keep moving forward.

We’ve got another hall of screen doors to go through. Good, these make sense.

Hopefully our path is obvious. There’s not much to say about those rooms, I hope this chapter doesn’t get too boring.

What? You’re not used to seeing slightly blood-thirsty ninjas around here? I find that hard to believe.

Looks like it’s time for another brawl!

Umm…Hello? Who are you?

Sir, is everything alright!?

: And I will kill humans!

This lunatic has pretty high health for this enemy type, but his attacks are mostly unimpressive. His name, according to a quick Google search so forgive me if I’m wrong, would mean “Complete Wisdom.”

They have pretty over-the-top names though.

Thankfully, I managed to avoid his most dangerous attack: he can instantly kill either of your party members if they’re next to him.

:radio: Beat

Let’s see what was in Hannyu-maru’s room. Maybe this monk is responsible for his demonic powers?

Or he can just summon a tiger, sure.
The tiger is the same enemy as the Kung Fu tigers, and the new enemy is called the “Dumb Monk.”

They give us a good chance to show off Bort’s new move: Sand Arts is an area attack. It’s described as “sealing ninpou,” but I’m not sure if that ever comes into play.

The monk has a pretty powerful move: it does good damage and can put us to sleep.

After saying this, he just fades away. Things are weird and getting weirder!

The next room is slightly more sane.

It only has a man who can magically count our kills. That’s normal for this castle.

The room through that secret door contains more attack items.

Further into the castle, we have this room. Let’s go left first.

It leads to a bedroom.

We sure showed him, I guess.

Let’s go through the right door next.

In the attic, we find more traps.

The first trap is a standard gauntlet. You won’t have the health to fight all of them, but you should kill at least one so you can get to the trap master.

The second one is a more difficult version of the log trap. The solution is the same, just kill one so you can leave and kill the trap master.

If you go south, you can find this armor.

This is a less obvious case of the trap masters; the grey statue is the master in this case.

For the final trap, we just need to kill all of the fire Buddhas.

After getting out of the attic, we find this little tea room.

…That’s a pretty obvious trap, man.

Just in case it wasn’t, the game put in an even bigger red flag.

Let’s fall for it.

It just puts us at the jail, so we can eventually make our way back.

: Look, I’m in a hurry. Please just take a seat on the cushion and relax!

: Shoot! How did you know it was a trap? All right, I’ve turned the trap off. Don’t worry, it’s quite safe now! Come, come! Sit down…

I don’t know audience, what do you think?

: Shoot! All right, you win!!

: By the way… How did you like all of the little gadgets set up around the castle? Oh no, they’re not ALL traps! My wonderful mechanical body, for instance…

After delivering the best battle cry ever, the castle’s trap master decides to face us. Now, this fight is the same as the other trap master fights: kill the master, and the others traps will go away.

However, these traps drop an important item, so we need to destroy all of them. The shuriken method seems too slow though…

Thankfully, we still have attack items!

Now, all that’s left is the hellish puppet.

He’s really dangerous when he’s at a distance, but if you get close this is all he can manage.

After a few sword strikes, he goes down.

The zenmai is the important item I was mentioning. By the way, this screenshot is from a different fight; I forgot that I can’t take screenshots after recording videos, so I had to do the fight again. Whoops!

: My God! My body won’t stop!

Welp, we’re two for three. We’ve taken out the circle and the puppet.

Through the door, we have this room. This room is important, but we’ll ignore it for now.

As we soldier on, we stumble across this scene.

: Heh… Don’t matter. I’m afraid you can’t live now that you’ve seen us…

Well, I guess Bort’s somebody.

Thankfully, we’re strong enough to take on four ninjas at once now.

: What a strong man…

Let’s look at both of these options. First, let’s agree to stay with her.

: Ode Iou doesn’t have any daughters!

: Ahahahahaha!! You must be the man that Lord Iou was expecting…

: If you fell for THAT you must be REALLY thick! If only you had accepted my offer!

Ryoma actually did research before being captured, so he saves us from the fight. There’s a fight here, but we’re a little unready for it. Thankfully, we can have an easier fight if we take the other option.

If you speak to her a few times, but turn her down, you’ll get a new option.

This won’t deprive us of the secret item, but I’ll explain why later. For now, let’s keep moving.

Here we are. Ode Iou is behind this door.

We’re not going to fight him yet, but here’s a look at these creepy guys.

Instead, we’ve got a few more things to look at. This is the room with the traps in them; since we took out Genmai, the traps spontaneously broke down.

We’ve not looked at this attic yet: it has a grappling hook and a Genji’s Helm.

The second attic takes us out here.

Which, in turn, leads to a third attic.

This gauntlet is the most interesting chest in this attic. It might be obvious, but avoid that pits. They’ll send you back to the jail.

One more attic: this one has another grappling hook. This is the best benefit of getting rid of Genmaii: it stops these gears from turning, which makes navigating this room a lot easier.

Finally, the attic lets out at the first screen door hallway. I’m sorry if you’re confused by the castle’s layout, but at least part of it is by design. This castle is a nightmare to navigate.

Thankfully, this room’s trap has also been deactivated. The middle chest contains the Castle Gate Key, which unlocks the front door.

Now, let’s look at one more secret in this attic. This particular pit is where you want to fall.

It leads to this room. You have to go in a c-shaped route; every other tile is a trap door.

Our reward is footwear. Really. I’m not sure what the joke here is.

The only way out of there is through the jail which reminds me, we never checked out this guy!

It has not worked out once, but let’s try letting him go.

Well, that went well. It’s about time a prisoner was happy to be out of jail!

By the way, by “someday” Goemon meant “right now.”

He’s refilled a lot of the chests around the castle. It’s not the most useful, but it can be a nice way to get more money if you’re on a pacifist run.

Speaking of money, this room is where that money finally gets used. We want to put three coins into this slot.

This changes the room’s place in the castle.

This must be that “mechanical friend” that Genmai mentioned in the beginning. Let’s stick that Zenmai he was carrying around into it.

We get a crazed robot for our trouble.

After a pretty easy fight with him, we get another party member! His name is a pun on the ninja’s default name: Oboro. I think T-rob would also work as a robot name. Anyways, let’s go get him battle-tested!

Whoops. Looks like O-robo suffers from fall damage. He’s also not water-proof, so we need to be careful in the water. If either of these happen, he’s gone forever. Finally, he’s afraid of mice. They won’t break him, but he will fight us if we bump into one.

Thankfully, that’s the only trap door in that room. We can get out by putting another coin in the room’s slot.

His stats are absurd! And he’s only level two!

For comparison, here’s Bort’s stats at level eight.

There aren’t too many good stopping points, so I’ll just bring the update to a screeching halt. I think I’ll put up this chapter’s bonus bosses next, since that will give me a chance to talk about O-robo. In any case, I will see you all next time!

4 Likes

This chapter looks impossible to play unless you have a walkthrough … Or are willing to play through multiple times

After finally catching up in the ninja chapter, there were two things I noticed that were little easter eggs:

[spoiler]In the scene where the 5 ninjas descend one at a time to attack you, I noticed that their name was “Goninja”. I think this may be a very subtle reference to Gorenger, the very first japanese super sentai series (known in the US as Power Rangers) which famously featured 5 members who would pose dramatically before fighting

As for Genji’s Gauntlet, that’s a long running item in the final fantasy series and is generally some of the strongest armor in its game (the same holds true for the rest of the genji armor, but the gauntlets were the ones that stuck out in all games)[/spoiler]

@Mozz, it only looks that way. You can kind of bumble your way through this chapter without a problem, but it will be more frustrating. A lot of the things to screw you over only screw you out of hidden items, a special run, or O-robo. But if you want to do or have any of those, you will probably need a guide whether it’s a walkthrough on the internet or just notes you made yourself.

@Bearpigman, this game will throw out references like mad, and I won’t even pretend to catch all of them. I didn’t even realize that Genji equipment was from Final Fantasy, that’s a neat intra-company reference.

1 Like

OK, time to cover the bonus bosses. Even though I’m posting this now, consider this a “non-canon” update. Any equipment or experience I get in this update will not be used outside of it.

Surf and Turf

So, if we’re going to take on these bonus bosses, we’re going to need a few more levels. Unfortunately, our options for grinding are very limited.

With Gennai dead, this is pretty much our only option.

O-robo’s moveset is made up of moves we’ve already seen. Most of them are Bort’s, but there’s a few wildcards. For example, he learns Earth Rending Fury at level 16, which you may remember as one of Jackie Hula’s moves. I guess Gennai was a big fan of sumo wrestling and taught his robot how to be a sumo wrestler.

In order to cut down on time, I tried to use a level up cheat. However, the cheat only worked on Bort. As a result, O-robo only made it to level 6 by the time Bort hit level 16. It’s recommended that O-robo be at least level 12.

I very quickly ran out of patience, so I’ll be using level 6 O-Robo instead. This probably just cost me more time in failed attempts, but oh well.

We’ve already seen our first bonus boss; he lives in the castle moat. Unfortunately, O-Robo is not waterproof. So how do we bring him into the fight?

We just wait right outside the moat, and let the fish come to us!

The last thing you hear before you die.

:radio:MEGALOVANIA

Meet Lord Iwama, our first bonus boss.

Thanks to our ghost-powered training session, we have some new moves to show off. Ryoma never learns any moves beyond his initial three, and O-robo never learns anything we haven’t already seen, but what about Bort?

First up is Chill Wind. It’s a pretty powerful spell, but it comes with a charge time.

Blade of Wind is one I might go back and grind for before facing Ode Iou. It’s a ninpou-based replacement for our Shuriken attack, and it’s really useful.

Shura’s Yin is the only non-item source of healing for Bort in this chapter. It can be useful under the right circumstances, but you’re usually better off using your healing items.

Phoenix Fire is the last of the fire-based moves. It has more range than the rest, but it has a charge time. It’s more useful for crowd-clearing than for dueling bosses.

Top Spin is highly situational. I’m sure there are bosses that can be completely chumped with this move, but it’s not a very useful move in general.

Shadow Mirror is a little unusual. It can only hit on Bort’s left or right, and he always faces away from his opponent when he uses it.

And finally, we have his ultimate technique. Bronze Leaf has a charge time, but it deals absurd damage along with debuffing stats. It will be his go-to attack for this fight.

With that showcase out of the way, let’s look at what makes Iwama a threat.

Poseidon’s Whip is his basic attack, and it inflicts poison. That would honestly be bad enough, but he’s not done.

Throw Down makes a return, and it still brings paralysis with it.

Finally, Iwama has his own version of great eruption. Thankfully, water only deals around 8 damage, and Bort’s equipment lets him heal water tile damage anyways. The rest of our party is pretty thoroughly wrecked, however.

So, now it’s time to talk strategy. Bort will be spamming Bronze Leaf for most of the fight while Ryoma gets in Iwama’s face to act as a distraction. Normally, O-robo would be our second heavy hitter but…

I did not make a smart decision for this fight. Instead, he provides healing items for his team mates to keep them in the fight. That doesn’t last too long though. Eventually, he and Ryoma fall prey to Iwama’s power over the tide. With no one to keep Iwama in place, Bort has to switch to instant moves.

As a result, Blade of Wind is what brings the fish down.

Like the King Mammoth before him, Iwama drops his own accessory.

What inspiring last words.

Unlike the Cola Bottle, the Suijin Scale does not bring absurd stat boosts with it. It’s certainly not a bad stat boost, but not really worth the risk of death-by-fish.

Our second boss is a little more hidden.

First, we need to go back to this hidden passageway, which is under the stone lantern. We want to be in this exact spot, with the diamond on the very bottom edge. We then want to head up two tiles, which will trigger a click sound, and then head back down.

As a result, we find a pot.

This is an alternate way to get Bort’s skills. For six koban, he gets Shadow Mirror, and for ten koban, he gets Bronze Leaf. We already have those techniques, so we won’t be using it.

If we head north, we no longer find the exit. Instead, we come across this room with a sword in it.

Of course, we can’t just waltz up and take it.

This isn’t just pompous posturing, we actually have a chance to just turn around and leave.

Unfortunately, we’re going to go through with this. Meet Majin Ryunosuke. “Majin” is a word that roughly means “Demon,” and he’s certainly earned that title.

This isn’t a move unique to him, but it’s one you’ll be praying to see more often. Half-Moon does a small amount of damage, but inflicts sleep. That’s easy to deal with when you have three party members.

Unfortunately, this move has the exact same range. Rock Crusher is just a hard-hitting move.

Soundkiller Sword is a little easier to deal with. The damage is split randomly between the targets, so it can range from “survivable” to “battle ending”

And finally, Road to Ruin. Everything about this is dangerous. The damage output, the stat debuffs, and the range all make this a dangerous move.

Before I start detailing the fight, let’s look at what Suijin Scale can do. This isn’t a bad move by any means, it’s just not too useful for this fight. The stat boost is probably more important in this case.

The strategy for this fight is the same as Iwama’s fight: Bort is the damage-dealer, Ryoma keeps him in place so Bort can land his hits, and O-robo keeps everyone alive.

Ryoma can’t land any of his status effects, so I have him use some attack items to boost his damage a bit.

I go all out with spamming healing items, so I manage to keep everyone alive this time. Also, look at that. He doesn’t even dissolve like the other bosses; he just poofs out like he’s a normal enemy.

He’s one of the hardest fights in the game, I can’t believe he just gets the normal defeated animation.

Anyways, here’s our reward. But it looks like somethings a little off about it…

Yeah, you can get two copies of this sword if you defeat Ryunosuke before freeing Goemon. It’s not worth it; I’ll have to explain why in the next update.

As for the sword itself, it’s an absurd upgrade. This has the same attack power as Ryoma’s sword at +40. Unfortunately, if you can get this sword, you’re already overpowered, so it doesn’t really add a whole lot.

Which is why I’ll be going into the last boss fight at level 8. I won’t pretend that it’s some sort of challenge run, but I do want to capture a normal boss fight instead of a pushover. Speaking of which, that’s coming up next! Bort will finally finish Ryoma’s mission…next time!

1 Like
The Future of Japan

Alright, let’s start wrapping things up. Let’s see how these three fare agains-

…Two! Let’s see how these two fare against Ode Iou!

So, this is why I did the bonus content before the end of the chapter; it was the best way to show O-robo in action. This is also what makes the second Masamune completely useless; O-robo can equip it, but he’ll die before he can really use it.

At any rate, we should keep moving.

These Eight “Great” swords aren’t really that threatening. Even without our extra equipment and EXP, this fight is easy.

: Well done! You’ve shown me how worthless the men in this castle really are. After all, they did let my sworn enemy get this close to me… But that’s of no consequence. I shall show you one who should be more than a match for you.

Uh oh. This might be a little tougher than our last historical enemy.

: The greatest swordsman that ever lived!

The game gives you a chance to save here. Musashi has to actually make contact with you before the fight starts.

: Ah well, I guess it’s just bad luck for you that we now cross swords…

…You’re looking a little green there, Musashi. You sure you’re up for this?

YUP! He’s more than ready for us!

He can cover most of the field with some hard hitting attacks, and our non-ninpou ranged attacks don’t really do much against him.

And if he’s not hitting hard, he’s debuffing us!

There’s not a whole lot Ryoma can do here; his pistol can barely scratch him, and I’d like to keep my distance for the time being. Let’s try one of our attack items, the Shinobi Birdlime. That might be good for a laugh.

Jesus! I guess Musashi can’t deal with a simple bird trap!

In the end, Ryoma proves himself to be the better swordsman. Good for him.

: Not many men could defeat the great Musashi…

Now that he’s been dealt with, it’s time to chase down Ode Iou

But first, we need to deal with the last member of his supernatural council.

: You’ve pierced my very heart… Is it so wrong for a princess to fall in love with a Shinobi…?

At this point, Ryoma interjects like he did in the last update. Let’s just get straight to the fight.

We could have fought her when we first met her. If we did, this hallway would just be empty.

Yodogimi has a very spell-based moveset. First up is this attack that drains health and stats.

Next up is a poison fire, which is just as absurd as it is incredible.

Finally, she has a seduction attack because of course she does. In an effort to reduce the amount of status effects, it just causes drunkenness.

Drunkenness is basically confusion; it causes your character to move erratically, but you can still attack where you want to.

And yet another falls to Ryoma’s blade.

: Then it looks like that princess wasn’t one of the 74 slain…

Bort adjusts his kill count accordingly, which is why killing her doesn’t keep you from getting the secret item.

Once we get up these stairs, we’ll be right outside Ode Iou’s door!

But first, it’s time to finally get that item!

It’s!..Really, really underwhelming. It’s hard to believe that they would make a single point of vitality a secret item, isn’t it?

Of course, that’s not the real secret. If you wait around in this room long enough, the maid will come back.

Now we’re talking! The IQ boost will make all of Bort’s ninpou stronger, which is always useful.

But enough about secrets, it’s time to finish our mission!

: It appears that you have beaten Musashi. Looks like I’ll just have to kill you myself… It’ll be just like squashing a tiny little bug!

Ode Iou tries to be a threat by merely owning a gun.

It can do some decent damage, sure, but how does it compare to Ryoma’s gun?

Only slightly better.

He does have a technique to buy himself some breathing room, but it’s not going to be enough.

Ryoma could probably solo this boss fight.

: Hehehehehe… Interesting… But then, fighting in close-quarters such as this isn’t any fun, is it?

Of course, this isn’t the real final boss fight, as you could probably tell from the lack of MEGALOVANIA.

The real fight is going to be on the roof, as it very well should be!

I think “sublime” is being a little generous if you ask me.

The Frogsnake Demon doesn’t have a damaging attack, but he can still do a number on your health. The poison status effect and the poison tiles really add up with every passing turn.

He also has this debuff attack. He doesn’t try and strike you down; he just tries to keep you at bay while you succumb to the absurd amounts of poison.

Ryoma, however, has absolutely no problem with swiftly striking his enemies down.

(No Music)

Yeah Ryoma! I mean, who’d be dumb enough to let that happen? No politics in my thread please.

There’s a slide whistle here, so that was probably a cannonball.

: Huh? Who am I?

Nope! The Enma Shinobi are really bad at mission briefings.

One last historical reference for the road!

: You know, it’s kind of sad. We struggle and fight over the temporary rule of an artificial “nation." Why go to war for such a fleeting goal? Why sacrifice so many lives? It’s kind of silly, is it not? But… For better or for worse, such seems to be our nature as people. We can’t change that any more than we could change the past… But, I know that one day, everyone will live here in peace.

: I’m surprised a man such as yourself is a Shinobi.

That’s…actually a good offer. Our shinobi clan just threw us in here to sink or swim. Maybe Bort’s talents are better used elsewhere.

What the heck, let’s go with Ryoma.

: We’ll have to prepare a feast on the ship tonight!

: The sun is coming up… One day, the Land of the Rising Sun will see a new dawn as well! I’m sure of it!!

And with that, the credits start rolling!

Unlike most of the other chapters, the end credits don’t show more of our protagonist’s story. Instead, we get a “greatest hits” of his finished story.

And so, Bort-maru completed his mission, as well as Ryoma’s.

So, that means it’s time to start the next chapter, right?

Not quite! One of this game’s feature that I never thought I’d get an organic chance to explain is the ability to redo chapters. For example, if we wanted to have Yuan or Sammo to inherit the Puncha style, we could just replay that chapter. In this case, I get to do a pacifist run! I’ll explain why I’m doing this in this way when I do my write-up for this chapter.

Even though this chapter isn’t quite finished, I’ll go ahead and open the poll for the next chapter since we’ve seen the credits.

:radio:SELECT-A-LIVE

• Cowboy!
  • Mecha!
  • SciFi!

0 voters

Vote away, everyone!

1 Like

OK, time to close out this chapter for real!

Pacifist

:radio: Killing Field!
:radio: Secret Life
(Same deal as the Kung Fu bonus update. Just listen to your favorite track, they’re all good.)

I won’t be detailing the entire playthrough. Instead, I’m going to describe the general changes and point out things I either forgot or think are neat.

First off, we need to sneak past these two. The solution may be obvious to some, but I’ll explain it anyway.

You just run away. This is actually a good way for the game to teach you that running is almost always an option. If you don’t realize that you can run, you can’t start a pacifist run. It means you don’t have to worry about ruining your pacifist run because you didn’t hide in time. It’s one of the few mercies this chapter will give you.

Our next big change is how we deal with passwords; they actually matter now.

You’ll only need to do a given guard’s password check once. After that, they’ll let you through every time.

Finally, we have to deal with enemies out in the wild. This guy is between us and the exit, and he’s really fast.

So we need to use our cloak to dodge him. Between our speed, our cloak, and our passwords, we have almost all of the tools we need to get through a pacifist run.

I thought I’d show that you can still get the Basement Key, just dash past this guy after cloaking yourself.

The Storehouse itself is also more important in this run. “Pacifist” is a bit of a misnomer because we will still have to fight, we just won’t kill any humans. Therefore, you’d do well to level up from a few of the lost souls here. I recommend at least level 6.

These guys still won’t let people through, but the moat is crawling with enemies. So how do we get inside?

Why, through the way that I completely forgot to show off, of course! You actually can still use the moat, but I thought this would be easier.

First up is the gear room, but the gears are spinning this time. You can only go in the direction they’re moving, so your mobility is limited.

Flipping a switch changes the direction of one of the gears. You can only flip each switch once, so it’s just a matter of flipping every switch in this room.

These are more important in this run, so I make sure to grab the one in this room.

The next room is the room with pits, but it’s more difficult this time. Every path has these new pits that open and close on regular intervals.

I decided that dealing with that was more trouble than it was worth, so I used the Grappling Hook here. This was a mistake.

But before I get into this, let’s see what this murder-detecting man has to say!

He then hands over ten healing items. You have to watch Bort go “Hmm…Castella” for each one. It’s a little goofy, honestly.

The next attic is the room that I should have used the grappling hook in! These little robots are terrible creatures. They will pick you up and through you in that pit if they touch you. It is absurdly difficult to get through this room without being caught.

So I don’t. I still have the Basement Key, so I can escape pretty easily.

I’m showing this to draw attention to something. “Pacifist” does not mean “no one dies.” As long as Bort doesn’t personally kill them, the game will be okay with it.

And here’s the last of Gennai’s traps. This is right outside his tea room. There’s supposed to be a ladder here, but it’s retracted if you try and climb it.

A pacifist can only get three of the money items, so freeing Goemon seems like the next logical choice. However, if you go to this room after Gennai dies, you’ll notice that someone is missing.

Ryoma broke out of jail on his own, which means we can access the money in his chest. We don’t fight Shiro on this path, so I assume that Ryoma took care of him.

Finally, we need O-Robo to get into Ode Iou’s chambers.

We totally murdered those men, but since it happened in a cutscene, we’re okay. I guess it’s an accident because a mouse prompted this, but this “Pacifist” run has had seven victims so far.

Finally, we have to deal with the Great Eight Swords, or whatever they called themselves.

Ryoma just starts shooting in the air during that last GIF. Ryoma is waaay cooler when he’s not in our party, isn’t he?

At this point, the story resumes as normal.

Unfortunately, Ode Iou’s gun isn’t a bonus item.

It does mean that he doesn’t have it during his boss fight. It was the only thing that made him close to a threat, but he doesn’t even have that now.

Afterwards, things proceed as they did last time until after Ryoma calls Ode Iou a joke.

: I have many, many enemies. There comes a time when one can no longer fight… It will just lead to more and more hatred. I know that you don’t kill without cause.

: I think it is better in your hands than in mine…

We get Ryoma’s sword! It’s just as strong as the Muramasa, but it’s even less useful because there’s no one left to fight. It’s a cool symbolic reward though.

And so, we end with Bort the pacifist instead of Bort the murderer. I’ll have the final thoughts post up later today.

I think I’m going to leave the poll open for a bit longer. The polls normally get around nine votes, so I’m going to try holding out for at least that if I can. If you see this without reading the rest of the updates, you can go ahead and vote too! As the voting implies, the stories can be read in any order, so you don’t need to have seen the others to decide which one we see next!

3 Likes
Secret Orders

Before I really get started, I should make it clear that I don’t hate this chapter. I don’t hate any of the chapters, I just like some less than others. That being said, I was frustrated during this chapter more than I probably will be for any other chapter.

This chapter is hands-down the worst chapter to LP. There are tons of events to capture, a lot of branching paths, but not a whole lot of actual variation in what happens. There’s no plot, it’s just a bunch of stuff that happens. It makes it harder to portion out the update and kills motivation. The stealth gimmick works, but it never integrates. There’s a stealth portion and an RPG portion, and the two portions never really work together. And to top it off, I wasn’t sure what media this was really trying to emulate. Ninja stories aren’t exactly rare, but this didn’t feel like a movie in the same way the Kung Fu chapter did. It wasn’t until partway through this chapter of the LP that I realized it was emulating another type of game. It was trying to pastiche old Sierra adventure games.

That made the whole thing a lot easier to tolerate. That’s why there’s just a bunch of puzzles with a bare-bones plot, that’s why there’s so many ways to fail, and that’s why doing a perfect run almost requires you to fail in others and know the “right” way. It followed the dramatic structure of an adventure game. That is, there is a setup and a climax but a bunch of nonsensical stuff happens on the way there. It was even pathetically short once I knew how to approach it; my final pacifist run was about two hours, and that was with capturing video and screenshots. It was still frustrating to play, but understanding what it was meant to be made it more fun. It was all part of the chapter’s aesthetic.

As for the characters, our two heroes are interesting for different reasons. I like Ryoma because he’s a little clownish, but he’s still a competent party member. His actions in the pacifist run really sell his character for me.

As for Bort…he’s kind of a monster! It’s really difficult to kill all 100 inhabitants, but the game will not punish you if you do it. Bort is still treated like a hero for slaying Ode Iou, no matter how many people he murders. Sure, some of them are combatants, but the game barely distinguishes between combatants and civillians. That’s the main reason I wanted a “canon” pacifist run. The sword is useless, but I did not want to put a villainous Bort on the same level as Bonk, Li, and Dwayne. That may be childish, but I thought it was worth doing.

My commentary felt really dry at points, but this chapter is difficult to talk about. As I keep saying, it’s just a bunch of stuff. It can be fun to watch, but it’s hard to even begin writing about.

All in all, I would rank this chapter fifth out of the seven. It’s still rough going, but it’s kind of fun in it’s own frustrating way.

I say this every chapter, but I really mean it this time: what do you all think? If this was your favorite chapter, why? Is there anything you like about it that I didn’t talk about?

I think I’m going to go ahead an close the poll. Even if we get the three voters that seemed to have dropped off, the most they can do is tie. Besides, the polls been open for long enough. Next up is the Cowboy chapter! I’m still taking names: Six Characters and the name will be The ______ Kid. Our names so far are the Baby, and Ninety kid. Sorry @Kzinssie, “Nineties” was too many characters. If you want to submit an alternate name or a different spelling, go for it. Keep suggesting names everyone!

3 Likes

Having never actually played this chapter I think it’s actually one of my more favorites. I think I just really like the aesthetic they’re going for. And any story that gives you a robot ninja is good with me!

2 Likes

Time to start the next chapter!

The Good, The Mad, and the Crazy

Before we start proper, you should probably have this website open. You’ll need it eventually.

Oh man, we’ve already got a tumbleweed! This is some pure-strain Western!

That door animation plays every time someone uses that door. I won’t show it every time, but trust me, it’s there.

: Barman, post this up for me.

: A new wanted poster, huh?

I don’t normally show the default names, but I wanted to show that the cowboy’s default name is longer than what is normally allowed.

Which is really frustrating in this case because The Nineties Kid was a pretty good name. Instead, we just have to pretend that’s what everyone is calling him.

:radio:WANDERER

: My trusty friend here’s gonna put the final period on your little ol’ life.

:radio:THE WILDS

Oh look, Mad Dog has a one-square sprite in the same style as Ninety. Wonder what that could mean.

The Nineties Kid has quite a few starting techniques, although you can probably guess what they all have in common. Single Shot is instant, and has infinite range.

Double Shot does more damage, but has shorter range. There are very few times where you will use Single Shot instead of Double Shot.

Hollow-Point Shot tries to lower the enemy’s level, but it has a charge time.

Piercing Shot also has a charge time, but it can hit all enemies in a line.

Finally, Ninety has a counter move. I think it activates on any gun attack, but I might be wrong.

I could only capture one of Mad Dog’s moves, but something tells me we’ll run into him again at some point. Lightning Shot shoots a random amount of bullets, which affects its damage output.

This fight is impossible to lose. Ninety counters all of Mad Dog’s moves, Mad Dog dies after two counters, and he cannot kill Ninety in two turns.

(Music Stops)

And so, our hero left his enemy to slowly die of exposure in the desert.

Or maybe not. The next town wasn’t that far away, I guess.

“Too quiet…” would have been too cliché, even for this game I suppose.

Ninety’s equipment is looking a little rough. His stat spread is interesting; his highest stat is speed. I guess it’s because he’s a quick-draw gunslinger, but I’m imagining him sprinting faster than his own horse.

Anyways, let’s do what a proper cowboy would do, and immediately wander into the saloon.

:radio:Sancho-de-los-Panchos

…It would appear we are not welcome.

: You want, yes?

: Wait, that’s not right.

Bizarrely enough, these are the friendlier bar patrons.

And this guy just trembles whenever we talk to him.

Oh well, let’s see if we can at least get a drink.

: W-what’ll it be? There’s no need t’pay, o’course…

Ninety hasn’t spoken or moved, but he’s still clearly winning this fight.

…I seem to remember that Stetsons were starting to replace trilbies and fedoras, did that ever pan out?

Unfortunately, Annie does not join our party, despite being the only townsperson to show any backbone so far.

Wow, those references are almost as blatant as what I changed the thread’s title to. HISTORICAL EDIT: A Magnificent Fistful of Dynamite!

Oh. We’re doing this then, are we?

At least Annie is having none of it.

I’ll at least explain this one: “Getting the Bulge” means “Gaining the Upper Hand.”

And now he’s beating up children! This guy’s a real winner, ain’t he?

:radio:WANDERER (Whistle)
This track only plays for one loop, but it’s great.

: Here, lemme buy you a drink.

You know, Ninety could probably use a cool glass of milk.

Screw it, Ninety is too thirsty to deal with this dumb insult.

Unfortunately, this just starts an infinite loop of milk.

…If we try to remain silent, we start another infinite loop. Of course, there’s no way this guy wasn’t get shot.

As you may have guessed, Pike is a complete joke.

As in, “goes down from a single attack” level of complete joke.

(No Music)

: So you ain’t with the Crazy Bunch…

: Wow!

: … Billy …

: But we can’t just keep on like this forever!

: Annie…

: But Sheriff! This here traveler…

For those keeping score, this is the fifth character to barge into this scene. At least we know he survived.

…Wait, you forgot about that? I thought that’s why you were scared of him! Are you just terrified of everyone now that you’re town is being threatened?

: There’s a mighty big reward on this here feller’s head… An’ I, Mad Dog, am fixin’ to collect it!

: You’re lying!

Trying to stay silent isn’t an option. Ninety has to tell Billy the truth.

He doesn’t take it well.

: Heh…

God, I bet Mad Dog is sooooo proud of that line. He’s probably gonna be bringing it up every chance he gets.

: You scared Gold off… I’m gonna run you through the mill!!

Because that went so well last time.

: You sad that this’ll be the last time we tangle? Ah well, I feel the same… But them’s the breaks, Kid!

: You know how this works, right? We stand back to back, then we each take five steps, whip around, and… see who’s left standing…

: These two…
: They noticed 'em!

: If they worked together, not even the Crazy Bunch could stand up to them…

: Well now…

: Okay Kid! The duel’s off for now.

Most of the slang in this chapter is ridiculous, but “Bone Orchard” is a great name for a cemetery.

Our heroes decide to regroup in the saloon.

Let’s ask around. Not all of these characters are useful.

: I know you can beat ‘em!
: We be traveling entertainers!
: We beeeen involved♪ In something we did not not foresee♪
: Let us run away♪ This is Danger Town♪…
: We really ain’t much fer gunslingers…
: If there’s anything I can do…
: We’ll help out! Just tell us what you need us to do!

Some detail this chapter’s mechanics and backstory.

: You know, Success Town used t’be real lively durin’ the Gold Rush times… I’m sure the Crazy Bunch is fixin’ t’get our hard-won riches!
: If you do manage to rustle ‘em up and run ‘em out, we’ll give you this town’s money as thanks.
: The Crazy Bunch’s big bug is the sole survivor of the lost Seventh Cavalry Division… Fellow by the name of O. Dio. They’re a lawless bunch of varmints. Dio’s probably got wind of today’s fuss. He’ll be right along, I’ve no doubt…
: I know you’re strong an’ all, but there’s two o’ you an’ fifteen o’ them…

After we’re done talking, Mad Dog has an epiphany!

: How about we set traps t’thin ‘em out a bit? Certainly couldn’t hurt… But ya know…

(Music Stops)

To the surprise of no one, Annie is the first to volunteer.

: Me too!
: I-I’ll give it a go.

: We can’t let them control our lives!
: But…
: Yeah!
: No more rollin’ over dead! You in, Gibson?

: And so…
: After all…
: We shall…

Nice! Normally it takes most of the story to get the townsfolk to help!

: My pa… He ain’t fit to wear it!

: Sometimes, you just can’t win without toeing the line. Nineties Kid…

: You hold onto that badge for me… ‘Til this is all over with. ‘Til I can be a real Sheriff again!

: It’s decided, then.

And with that fourth-wall breaking comment, I’ll end the update. Next time, we’ll prepare for a fight against the Crazy Bunch!

1 Like

Oh, I already missed the Ninja chapter. I’ll try to find time to post my thoughts about it. I really like your comparison to the old Sierra adventure games though.

One difference in this translation patch, compared to the old one that I absolutely don’t understand is why they changed Ninety’s default name. In the old one, he’s the Sunset Kid, as opposed to the Sundown Kid, which is obviously an overly literal translation.

Here’s a little piece of trivia for you: This is the only chapter in the game where characters stand unaligned to the grid. You can see it when Ninety and Mad Dog turn their backs on each other for their “duel” before their first steps.

1 Like

I kind of prefer Sundown Kid, if only because it sounds more like Sundance Kid, and trying to be subtle about references seems out of character for this game.

Also, thanks for providing all of this trivia! It’s really cool to hear about all the little differences between the two versions of the English patches.

Welcome back!

Ninety Unchained

When we last left our heroes, they were ready to start building their defense against the Crazy Bunch!

This chapter doesn’t have a Y button gimmick, but that doesn’t mean it’s conventional. This part of the chapter is a scavenger hunt. We need to find enough traps to protect the town.

And it all starts here! The slingshot is our first trap.

: I may not be able to fire a gun, but I can fire a slingshot!

The rest of the townfolk have a few things to tell us.

: The town may be small, but the sun’ll be up before you know it. You probably won’t have the time to look everywhere.
: They’ll be here at sunrise, as usual. The bell will sound exactly eight times before dawn. We have to find the materials for traps and set ‘em up before then.
: If you spend too much time looking for materials, we’ll run out of time to set ‘em up.

These three explain the other part of this chapter’s gimmick: time. We have eight fictional hours to find and deploy all of these traps. Your best option is to find all of the traps before setting any of them; that way, you’re not making trips between all of the buildings in town.

: The Crazy Bunch ain’t stupid. The same trap won’t trick ‘em twice.
: I guess it’d be better to set a bunch of different types of traps, si?

These guys are a little important. Some of the traps have more than one copy, so it’s nice of the game to tell you that you can only use one of each.

: I run an inn across the way from here.
: Wonder if we’ve got anything you can use?
: My brewery’s on the western end o‘ town.

If we weren’t going to check every building, this would be more useful. They do point you in the direction of where the actual traps are, though.

: I am a trap-setting person♪
: I do nothing♪ Nothing at all♪
: You are of the searching types♪

And the traveling band doesn’t know anything about this situation, which makes sense, I guess.

All right, time to start grabbing everything that isn’t nailed down. All of our healing items for this chapter are things that are not good for you, oddly enough.

The door on the left leads here. The chest just has more bourbon, but there’s something about this cupboard…

Oddly enough, this secret room contains a trap that has copies, so you wouldn’t even need to find it.

: Takes a bit o’ time, though. Should we make one?

We’ll need one of these to use as a trap, but it doubles as an attack item. I usually make as many as I can find, but it’s not strictly necessary.

The room to the right of the stairway is a storeroom. It only contains oil and more healing items.

Once we get upstairs, we can find the office on the far right.

: It’s this month’s profits. P-please!

Interacting with the money does nothing but waste time. I’m not sure how time passes exactly, but I know it passes during this scene.

In the middle room, there looks to be a bedroom.

Whoops, it’s Annie’s room.

: Urgh… Too bad, Kid…
For some reason, this is an event flag.

You need to learn how to poke around a wardrobe in Annie’s room before you can poke around the Barman’s, I guess.

: That’s…a bit of a hobby of mine. It’s a pin-up of a dancer named Jennifer. I guess I can hand it over, if you really think it’ll help…

In fact, this will be helpful! The poster is another one of our traps.

Finally, the leftmost room on this floor only contains a cigar, which is a healing item. Yes.

Unfortunately, I spent too much time messing with my screen capturing software. We’ve already spent an eighth of our allotted time in one building!

:radio:Under The Fake

We need to get a move on!

First up is this little shed. It’s got someone’s Tequila’s stash, but no traps.

Next is this cute little house. I wonder who owns it?

Whoever it is, I don’t like them. This room contains one potful of oil.

Rest of the house: Completely barren. I have done nothing but waste my precious time!

This must be the barman’s brewery.

And this is why the barman pointed us in this direction: we’ve found two traps here! The carrot is easy enough to find, but the coal tar is hiding in plain sight: no other barrel like that can be interacted with.

This looks like some kind of stable.

Surprisingly enough, this is also a trap. Even after seeing it in action, I’m not sure what it actually does.

This must be Wayne and his wife’s Inn.

Oh geeze, we’re a fourth of the way through our time!

And all of these rooms are useless!

The developers were really sneaky for this trap. Unlike the carrot, the cocktails, and the dung, the rope is unique. If you don’t check under the stairs, you’ll miss out on it!

This looks like some sort of restaurant, but I’m not sure.

There’s another trap “hiding” here, but it’s more obvious than the Coal Tar.

The Frying Pan is an accessory that gives us a Vt boost as well as increasing our evasion rate around firearms, but we’ll be using it as a trap.

Yet another barn in this town where no one has a horse…

The Shovel, another one of our traps, is hiding under this wagon.

This house has an empty bottle in it, and nothing else. It is the saddest house.

Now that we’re at the Sherriff’s house, we get at the heavy-duty equipment!

The Dynamite here is our strongest trap.

And we can get an upgrade for Ninety’s weapon!

As we move unrelentingly forward, so too does time…

While the Peacemaker is intrinsically linked to all Westerns from now to the end of time, I always link the Buntline to Colonel Mortimer from For a Few Dollars More. In real life, it’s associated with Wyatt Earp, but that’s due to a most-likely fictional biography.

There’s nothing on this balcony. It exists only to waste time.

Here’s the last stop on our tour. For some reason, I think this is a post office. No idea why I think that, though.

First, we get one more Molotov Cocktail.

Second, I realize that every other room in this building is empty.

Despite being anxious about running out of time, I manage to waste even more back at the saloon. I’m not even sure what I was trying to do.

At any rate, we can start setting our traps. Here’s where this chapter can differ from person to person: you can set as many or as few traps as you’d like. The only one that really makes sense in my mind is saving the frying pan, but you can just keep all of your traps if you want.

As for the physical act of setting traps, we need to rely on the townsfolk for that. There’s a simple logic puzzle involved, but I’ll just list everyone in order from fastest to slowest. I’ll also put their dialogue for setting traps.

: Should I set one up too? / I’ll be back!
: I ain’t just gonna roll over dead! Can I help? / Okay, I’ll be back!
: Should I set one up? / I can’t stand this!
: I work faster than Wayne. / Gotcha!
: I work harder than my husband! / Okay!
: I’m more useful than Clint. / Right!
: I may not be very strong, but I’m certainly better than Gibson. / Sure!
: Of we three♪ I am more useful than Pancho♪ / I’ve set it up♪ The sweet trap of love♪
: Of we three♪ I am more useful than Delos♪ / I am going♪ Without worrying of the dangers♪
: Can I do something too? / I’m going now…
: Let me help you with something too! / Okay!
: Of we three♪ Sometimes I am helpful♪ / I do not like it♪ But I cannot help it♪ That is the life, you see♪

Out of the traps we have, two of the are unique to certain townsfolk. Only Billy can use the slingshot, and only Annie can use the Frying Pan. I have Delos listed last, but he’s not actually the slowest. His speed is randomized. Sometimes he’s the slowest, but other times he finishes immediately.

That being said, it doesn’t really matter how quickly everyone works. Even the slowest person can set a trap in four hours.

Since Delos is a wildcard and Billy needs to use the slingshot, Delos and Gibson get off easy. This also reminds me, the bar’s song has different mixes based on which members of the band are present. Since it’s just Delos, the music is just maraca shaking.

The people setting traps don’t just disappear into the ether, you can actually see them setting traps throughout the town.

Now that we have a few seconds to breathe, let’s look at our party’s stats. The Peacekeeper Badge helps Ninety avoid gunfire, and Mad Dog is, statwise, just a worse version of Ninety.

People will file back as they finish their tasks.

It’s a little tedious to just wait though…

Thankfully, the barman is back before long.

He’s our way of time-skipping. Every drink we order will pass time until someone finishes setting up a trap, or the clock rings.

Let’s just skip ahead to the climactic battle, shall we?

(No Music)

: After walking three days and three nights, we’ve finally found a town, Watt!

(A shot rings out!)

There is no mercy for the Watanabe clan.

Even with every trap in place, Dio makes his way through.

: Or else… I’ll turn the bar into a beehive!!

: Yeah…

: In the unlikely event that, well… If we’re killed, you’re the only one who can protect the townsfolk.

I’m not going to be showing off most of the alternate dialogue in this chapter. It looks like the writers didn’t want Ninety to speak without the player’s input, so they make you “chose” dialogue like this. Most of the options are just infinite loops.

Mad Dog only comforts Billy if you stay silent. Otherwise, the two of them just leave.

Normally, O. Dio only has around two lines before his fight begins. Since we used every trap, we get a more elaborate scene.

(Music Stops)

…Are we? I thought Pike just left. Did we kill Pike?

Also, why are we alone?

: Haha! Seems your friend’s run off! How sweet!

: I’ll help!

: Heh! What can the spineless Sheriff do?
: No need to worry, Kid. I won’t get in the way…

: Doesn’t matter how many rats you rustle up…!

:radio:MEGALOMANIA

Let’s talk about Dio. While Odie is still the most difficult fight, Dio is the most dangerous Chapter Boss.

And it is entirely because of this attack. When fighting Dio, stay away from his diagonals. This attack will always kill you.

This attack seems familiar! Despite sharing a name with Ryoma’s technique, this attack doesn’t have the same effects. It has a chance of lowering levels rather than a chance of paralysis.

Surpisingly, Molotov Cocktail is one of Dio’s weaker attacks. It does more damage than Warning Shot, but it doesn’t have cause any debuffs. Once you get in close, you’re a lot safer.

While I’m at it, we never got a good look at Mad Dog’s techniques! First up is Sidewinder. It only hits on diagonals, and I’m not sure if it’s supposed to cause status effects. The purple color effect usually means some sort of debuff, but it never activated when I used it.

Here’s the Texas Jitterbug; it instantly hits all enemies in an area around Mad, including those rocks that I thought were part of the background.

And here’s another look at Lightning Shot. Mad also has Single Shot, but there’s no need to show that off again, I think.

Finally, here’s the effect of making most of the healing items in this chapter booze. We can’t heal without getting drunk, which seals all of our techniques except for Single Shot in addition to making movement weird.

Generally speaking, this boss isn’t hard once you know about his Gatling Gun. You can just stand next to him and plink away. It’s a good thing Ninety was good with traps!

Meanwhile, in an alternate universe where Ninety isn’t very good with traps!

Things look considerably rougher.

: So, you’re the ones who wasted Pike? What d’you think you can do…

:radio:MEGALOMANIA

This fight is significantly harder! Your best bet is to bust out the attack items.

Here’s the Molotov Cocktail in actions. It’s useful, but it’s not the most useful item…

That would be the Dynamite! This is our best option for softening up this absurd mob.

This group is also our best chance at seeing the real power of Piercing Shot and Texas Jitterbug.

There’s not a whole lot of change to the endgame, though. Once you clear out the Crazy Bunch, it’s just a matter of closing the distance.

##And now, back to your regular universe!

I’m just as confused as you are, Mad Dog.

I find that hard to believe, Sheriff!

: When the 7th was annihilated by the allied Sioux and Cheyenne forces, they only spared a single horse…

Amazingly, this is actually true. The only survivor of Custer’s Last Stand was Comanche.

There he goes…

: That could very well be…

There’s something really funny to me about an incredibly angry horse, but I can’t put my finger on exactly why…

: I-I mean, Stranger…

So much for being nice to kids, eh Mad Dog?

: This is between him and me…Right Kid?

Mad Dog might be insistent on this fight, but what about Nintey?

This is the only fight in this chapter you can run away from. Looks like Ninety is willing to let Mad Dog go…

Luckily for Mad, The Nineties Kid isn’t a vengeful monster.

##Meanwhile, in an alternate universe where The Nineties Kid is a heartless monster!

##And now, back to your regular universe!

:radio:WARM-A-LIVE

It’s time for Ninety to head out.

: How can we ever thank you?
: Mister! … Thank you! Also… I have a request.

: It don’t mean anything… I feel like… I’ve redeemed meself, badge or no!

Couldn’t agree more, Sheriff.

: There’s… There’s something we need to apologize to you about. Truth is… We don’t have any gold left…

I don’t think Ninety ever cared about that money.

(Music Stops)

:radio:Sancho-de-los-Pancho
This song doesn’t start up until Ninety signals that band to start.

: Now I remember! Known throughout the West for his arm, fast as lightning… Someone was always out to challenge him to a duel. Eventually, it got so bad that his town was attacked by an entire band of outlaws… He couldn’t do anything, so he put a price on his own head, and wandered the desert, in search of a place to die…

And with a tragic backstory and one final reference, the credits start rolling.

The credits seem to focus on Billy.

The credits may be rolling, but the game isn’t over yet!

I can never pin down how evil Mad Dog is supposed to be. This scene makes him look like a straight up villain!

This fight isn’t to the death, so you can just fire away.

And this is how our chapter closes: with a goofy chase scene.

Five down, two to go!

Another short but sweet chapter is over, so it’s time for our final chapter select!

:radio:SELECT-A-LIVE

• Mecha!
  • SciFi!

0 voters

I’m not sure how long I’ll leave the poll up. As always, feel free to recommend names for our spherical robot and our psychic biker. Names have a six character limit.

1 Like
Wandering

Out of all of the chapter premises, this one was the most appealing to me. I really like Westerns, so I was intrigued by the idea of a Western RPG. This chapter does not disappoint!

While I made a few cracks about how the time limit stressed me out, I really enjoy this chapter’s gimmick. The scavenger hunt itself has some items that are a little too well hidden, but I think it’s very well balanced; as I demonstrated, you can beat the final boss no matter how many traps you lay. It’s also the quintessential Western plot: protect the town from bandits!

Speaking of quintessential Western things, this chapter is the best Western media I’ve ever scene. Everything from the character archetypes to the graphics to the music to the attack techniques is instantly recognizable. Even if you’ve never actually seen a Western, you can still pick out the sendups. And if you do watch Westerns, there are a ton of specific references for you to find.

As for the characters, they’re all pretty great too! Ninety is a clear amalgamation of every Clint Eastwood character and I really like his backstory, even if we don’t get it until the very end. Mad Dog is really enigmatic, but I like that! The fact that I can’t really figure out his motivations make him really cool to me. The Sheriff’s arc was by the numbers, but it was nice enough, especially with the bonus scene. The twist regarding O. Dio was kind of dumb, but it was also kind of neat. I appreciate that it references an historical event, but that also just makes the whole thing dumber. While there are more characters, the only one I still want to talk about is Annie.

I’ve always liked Annie, but she was the exact character I needed to see after the Ninja chapter. I didn’t touch on it too much because I was scared of saying something dumb, but the latent sexism in the Ninja chapter was really getting to me. Rewarding the player for not murdering women is alright on the surface, but it creates problems when you can kill some women, and they don’t follow consistent rules. Don’t kill the maids? Cool, they didn’t sign up for this. Don’t kill the ninja because she’s a woman? That takes away her agency; she knows that she can die in a battle and probably expects to do so. You can kill this woman because she’s part of Ode Iou’s inner circle? That’s no different from the ninja, who we can’t kill. It just doesn’t make sense, it’s infantilizing, and by the end of it I was really starting to miss Li.

And then I remembered Annie existed, and I was happy with this game again! She’s also a stereotype; there’s a ton of Spitfires in Western movies, and there’s not a whole lot to differentiate her. But I was just so happy to see a woman take charge, see her stand up for herself, and not see the game patronize her in any way. If anything, she inspires the other characters like Gene and Clint to act more like her.

Overall, I would rank this chapter second out of seven. I still love the Kung Fu chapter more, but this chapter comes really close.

What do you all think? If you’ve played this chapter before, how well did you do on the scavenger hunt? If you haven’t, did you think this chapter was enjoyable, or did it rub you the wrong way? And did I say something really stupid during this post? If I did, feel free to call me out on it. I can never get better if no one tells me I’m screwing up.

I still haven’t decided how long I’ll leave the poll open. I’m not sure when I’ll even get a chance to record footage, so there’s no sense in closing the poll if I can’t even start playing.

4 Likes

It’s been a week and we’re still tied, so I’m going to move for a tie-breaker. Since neither of our remaining characters have names, the first character to have a name suggested will be the next character we play as. I won’t necessarily use that name, so you all can suggest as many names as you want.

Unit-01 for Mecha

I’m going to count that! We’ll be doing the Mecha chapter next. Unfortunately, names have a six character limit. Also, we’re naming the pilot. @Bearpigman, I can change that name to Unit1 or Shinji. I prefer Shinji, but you can suggest whatever you want. Also, that name is not set in stone! If someone suggests a name I like more, I’ll use it instead.

1 Like

let’s take the the best of both worlds: Shinj1

2 Likes
Ordinary High School Delinquent

Here we go. It’s time to hit peak anime.

…This chapter is off to an ominous start.

That’s kind of a personal question, but I’ll say yeah.

: Well, that’s nice for you, isn’t it? But you know, there are plenty of people who aren’t…

And if we say no:

: That’s too bad, I guess. But your life is yours to do with what you will…

He doesn’t seem too happy with either response.

: Whoops, I was preaching a bit, wasn’t I? Well, listen to my story. Maybe you’ll understand…

Here’s our protagonist, and it looks like he’s having a nightmare.

(A shot rings out!)

: Dad, wake up!!

*By then… He’d already passed away. As a captain of the riot police, he was involved in a skirmish with a violent gang known as the Crusaders… He couldn’t have known… *

: Please tell everyone your name!

Hey, do you notice something about this naming screen? That’s right, there’s no numbers! I hecked up. I hecked up!

I’m still going with Shinji though. I like the irony of it.

: Everyone be nice to them, okay?

: I didn’t hear you, Watanabe…

Darn, we’re too late to see the Watanabe scene! He’s already in the orphanage, we missed it!

: I’ve… well, I’ve started to acquire strange powers. Like, I can read minds, and move objects without touching them…

: If you had similar powers, how would you use them? In my case…

:radio:Wait for Truth

Well, that’s enough of the void. Time to wander around a park!

But first, let’s take a look at our new protagonist. He’s not very impressive, stat-wise. His IQ will come in handy, but that HP is rough.

This guy seems innocent enough, but let’s test our Y ability.

…Still pretty innocent I guess. Let’s look at these other NPCs

: H-Hey, what are you doing? I’m just an old fogey! I’ve got nothing to do with you!/ (I bet this kid’s one of those blasted skull punks!)

: I ain’t a kid, you know! / (The taiyaki guy hasn’t come today… )

There’s a little scene playing out in this southwest corner.

: Kids these days! Sheesh! I wish these two’d get a room already! / (This reminds me of my younger days with the missus… Sigh…)

: Your eyes are as blue as window cleaner! / (I’m sure that’s what the Dating Strategy Guide said! Man, I’m smooooooth!)

: What?! How dare you! / (… … … I am SUCH an airhead!!)

Finally, this kid has something to say, or at least something to think.

: Stop following me around! I’ll call the cops!/ (He might be one of the kidnappers Mom warned me about!)

Kidnappers, huh? Well, I sure hope we don’t run into any of them!

(Music stops)

Uh-Oh.

These guys aren’t too keen on letting us pass quietly.

: (Wonder what these punks are thinking…)

: What!?

I really hope you have a step 2 Shinji, because now they’re threatening and frightened.

:radio:Motorcycle Noise

:radio:A Painful Death at the Hands of a PSYCHO

First fight of the chapter, which means it’s time to look at some techs!

Shinji has a couple of physical techs. They activate instantly, but they’re not very flashy.

He also has a healing tech, but with 80 health, he’s not able to make the most of it.

Now for Shinji’s more impressive techs: the psychic attacks! Mother Image is supposed to lower will, but I’m not sure what that means.

Unfortunately, all of Shinji’s psychic attacks have a lengthy charge time. While we wait for is second one, let’s look at our new friend’s techs!

He has two disruptive attacks, and both of them deal some heavy damage.

Pissed Fist, in addition to being a great attack name, is pretty useful crowd control, although it does have a chance to completely miss an enemy.

Finally, Heavy Blow has a chance to paralyze, which is always useful.

Sleet Image does more damage than Mother Image. It also lowers speed, which is a measured stat, so it’s better than Mother Image in every way.

And with that, the kidnappers have been dealt with!

: Hehe… Thanks, Matsu!

: You oughta be more careful, Shinji… They been pullin’ some weird stuff lately.

Even though he’s a punk, this Shinji still takes after his namesake.

: How’s your sis doing?

: Kaori’s gotten a little better, thanks. Oww, that stings…

: Scraped yourself up a bit, huh? Here, I’ll give you a lift.

Matsu seems to have a lot on his mind.

:radio:GO! GO! Buriki Daioh!
I don’t usually call attention to the music because it’s all worth listening to, but this track is actually an important part of the following scene.

In the old days of Babylonia

A fist of steel points to the sky

To accomplish the feat of defeating the demons
Light up the day with light

A warm heart will awaken it
BURIKI! DAIOH!
Is with us

I wasn’t kidding about peak anime.

:radio:Wait For Truth

: Hey… You’re already all the way out here, you should come in and see ‘em yourself…

Welcome to Chibikko House, the orphanage were Shinji grew up. I guess he’s not old enough to move out yet.

: You got into another fight, didn’t you!?

It wasn’t some schoolyard tussle, he was almost kidnapped! He’s taking this remarkably well, all things considered.

: I’m not a little kid, you know!

It’s easier to put up with Shinji’s attitude when the people around him don’t take him seriously.

: There! That’s better!

Before we meet the rest of the orphanage, let’s explore! We’ll be going through this whole hallway from left to right.

We start in Kaori’s room. It looks like the Director is checking up on her.

: Kaori’s taking a nap right now. / (You got into another fight, didn’t you? Kids these days…)

: Mmmm… / (Tarokichi… Please don’t die…)

Poor kid. She’s ill, but she’s more worried about her pet turtle.

The next room is the main sleeping quarters.

Following that is Taeko’s room.

And after that is the classroom.

I don’t think this room is explicitly identified, but it’s probably the director’s room.

Finally, we come to the laundry room, which is connected to the bathroom.

For some reason, Shinji can use all of the toilets in this chapter.

Taeko talking down to Shinji will never get old to me.

Kenichi is Matsu’s last name. I wonder why he didn’t come in?

The bathing part of the bathroom has one of two head items in this chapter. It’s not much, but we’ll take it.

Before we talk to all of the children, let’s look at what’s on the TV.

The battle to end all battles haaaaaas begun! This will determine the all-time CHAMPION of nationwide pro wrestling! Will it be Misawa? Will it be Mutoh!? There’s no limit on the number of rounds! Anything could happen, folks!!

Hopefully they’ll show some re-runs later. We might get a chance to see Dwayne!

There’s actually an easter egg here. The announcer said there was no limit on the number of rounds, so what happens when we hit Round 100?

Mutoh has ducked beneath the ring and hasn’t come out yet! We’re almost out of broadcast time, folks! Will we be able to bring you the results!? Wait… wait! There’s Mutoh! He’s come out from under the ring, and he has an apron in his hand! Oh… Oh my! There is PAINT on Mutoh’s face!!

That’s why it makes hair so full, rich, and wavy! Rinse and treatment also available!

Well that certainly happened. Let’s actually talk to these children now.

: Woooo! Misawaaaa!! / (Go, Misawaaaa!!)

: Hey! Get beaten up again? If you go to get revenge, let me know! I’ll go with you! / (You can’t just fight alone!)

: You’re always fighting, Shinji! Taeko’s been worried sick! / (Augh, get OUT of my HEAD!)

: (When will you come back…)

Wait, Watanabe’s father might still be alive? We might still get our running gag scene!

: Go get some medicine from Taeko’s room.

Even if his dad does live, Watanabe will still suffer for our amusement.

: I’ll be watching TV.
We actually have to follow Watanabe and talk to him to advance the story. This chapter has a lot of issues with event flags.

: Aw, come on! It wasn’t me!

: Come on! No fighting!

: Here’s your medicine.

: Meanie…

We should see if Watanabe is OK. That definitely looked rough.

: By the way… Kaori’s worried about Kazu’s turtle, Tarokichi. He isn’t feeling well.

Yeesh. We’d better check-in with her then.

: Poor thing…

: (Tarokichi’s… spirit isn’t dead…)

: I’ll go talk to that old antique shop dealer, Toei! He’ll know what to do!!

…If you say so, Shinji. What, are we gonna replace Tarokichi with a really nice lamp?

We don’t have any other leads, so let’s head over to the antique shop.

Welcome to the world map! This is the only chapter that takes this approach to the overworld. There are Crusaders wandering around, but I’m going to try and avoid fights for this update.

Before we stop by the antiques dealer, let’s check out a few other points of interest.

:radio:Psycho Bar

First up is this bar. It has a remix of the battle them, which is always cool.

: Hey, kid. If you come by my house later I’ll give you some candy.

: Sorry kid, we don’t stock milk here.

: I want my love to be smooth as chocolate.

: This shroom’s juice will clear your mind…

As for their thoughts…
///:(Mmmm… Matango!)

:radio:Wait For Truth

A lot of that place made me feel uncomfortable, so let’s check out this temple!

Looks like this is a bird church. I don’t know about you, but I’m already willing to convert.

: What a weird religion…

Is this “Master Inko?” How bizarre.

On my way to the antiques shop, I ended up in a fight. I decided to show off one of Shinji’s other abilities: teleport.

In this chapter, there’s no running away. Instead, Shinji teleports off to a random location. Let’s roll the dice!

…Let’s just jump ahead to the antiques shop.

It’s over in the southwest corner.

There’s definitely a lot of inventory here, but where is the shopkeeper?

: W-Wash your hands!

: Well…

I guess the whole story was inside of the ellipsis.

: Leave it to me! I’ve studied at the facility, AND I have wisdom handed down from the ancients!

You know, no biggie, just going to make a miracle happen!

Of all the adjectives to apply to “transporter,” “home-made” is one of the scariest.

: (Whew, I hope this works…)

That sounds confident enough for me!

Haha, whoops.

Hey, we didn’t get hurt! That’s great, isn’t it Toei?

: I… I don’t feel so well. You go on ahead. / (Aw, fiddlesticks…)

OK, we’ll meet you back at Chibikko House!

About as well as it could have, in hindsight.

: Don’t worry. Toei said he’d help.

: My transporter wasn’t working all that well, so I had to hoof it. We have to reduce Taro or whatever to a liquefied state, ASAP…

Nice, we’re making a turtle-bot!

: What’s a… fluid android?

: First we insert an electrode… Shinji, plug this into a power outlet, will you?

: An outlet? Let’s see…

We can’t really see an outlet from here. Kaori, you live here, where’s the outlet?

: I wonder if it’s okay…

R.I.P Toei, never scored.

Nah, he’s fine. And he brought back Tarokichi!

: (Since Toei screwed up, I guess we have to call him Taro now…)

: Science is spectacular! Say, that gives me an idea…

Hmm…I wonder what the game wants us to do…

And he runs right off.

I guess this thing doesn’t need a whole lot of maintenance? Did Toei just foist a White Elephant on us?

Awww, at least he’s appreciative.

: W-what…? Don’t follow me!

After this, he of course follows us.

Meet our new party member: a tough-as-nails turtle-droid with bowling balls for hands.

After that, a new sidequest opens up. Let’s get that out of the way while we can.

First step of this sidequest is to head over to the park.

We have to help Matsu run his Taiyaki stand.

And here’s how we farm healing items. This is a price-gouging mini-game: each customer will pay two prices for Taiyaki. If we charge them one of those prices, Matsu will reward us with a healing item. Here’s a chart of who’ll pay what. We want at least one of each item.

Price Chart

Boy
100 Yen: Taiyaki (Self Mid-Heal)
300 Yen: Banana Crepe (Self Mid-Heal)

Woman
300 Yen: Banana Crepe (Self Mid-Heal)
1000 Yen: Gutsy Taiyaki (Self Great-Heal)

Man
1000 Yen: Gutsy Taiyaki (Self Great-Heal)
10000 Yen: Misawa Taiyaki (Self Mid-Heal)

Old Man
100 Yen: Taiyaki (Self Mid-Heal)
10000 Yen: Misawa Taiyaki (Self Mid-Heal)

We’ve got four healing items, and there are four children. Kazu wants a Gutsy Taiyaki. In exchange, he’ll give us a Glove, which we already have.

Yuki wants a Misawa Taiyaki, Aki wants a regular Taiyaki, and Watanabe wants a Banana Crepe. They will give you a Power Wrist (2 Def +4 Pw), a Misanga (+4IQ), and a cap (4 Def), respectively.

To actually advance the plot, we need to see Toei. He’s nowhere in sight, but there’s a new stairway in his basement…

You have to climb down ten flights of stairs. Be thankful I’m only posting one GIF instead of all ten.

That does not answer our question Toei.

: These days, only liquefied humans have power like that… You know, people who’ve been melted down into goop to enhance their spiritual energy! Just like Taro here. In any case! There seem to be only two ways for Buriki Daioh to move. It either needs to be manipulated with psychic powers, or injected with a liquefied human.

: Psychic powers, huh… Bet I could handle it!

Look at Shinji’s character design, he’s clearly the main character, Toei!

: Come upstairs

: First touch the pink statue, read the book, play the xylophone and touch the blue mask. Then offer a prayer to Buriki Daioh… Finally, you gotta use the can. Make sure you wash your hands, first!

I don’t know if this is Toei’s security system or an actual part of Buriki Daioh’s launch program, but I do know that it is a pain. Let’s start moving.

Touch the pink statue

Read the book

Play the xylophone

Touch the blue mask

Washing our hands wasn’t a joke, in case you were worried.

…We’re being pranked, aren’t we?

:radio:GO! GO! Buriki Daioh!!

Yes, the theme music is diegetic. Somehow.

Don’t have to tell me twice, Toei! Let’s get this show on the road!

: (Come on, Buriki Daioh…MOVE!)

(The fifth lever makes noises, but no animation)

Just our luck. We manage to get a psychic character, but he isn’t psychic enough to do anything!

…Before I end this update, let’s talk about Toei’s Inventing. Remember the crafting in the Caveman chapter? Remember how it was more than a little annoying, but you could eventually work around it with a guide? Remember how I said it was just a way to avoid implementing a shop and currency system? Inventing is the alternative solution to crafting and it is far, far, far, worse.

The basic idea is: give Toei an item, and he’ll make a better version. Sounds pretty simple, right?

Since Squaresoft believes that too much fun is dangerous, they gave Toei a chance of failure. I’d say it’s too high a chance, but any chance would be too high. And if that wasn’t bad enough, some items can be made in to multiple things, and it’s random which thing is selected. Here’s the inventing tree.

Item Creation
  • Banana Crepe (One time use heal item - Self Mid-Heal)
    First Aid (One time use heal item - Self Mid-Heal)
    Taiyaki (One time use heal item - Self Mid-Heal)
    -> Gutsy Taiyaki (One time use heal item - Self Great-Heal)
    Matango Light (One time use heal item - Area Mid-Heal)
    Misawa Taiyaki (One time use heal item - Self Mid-Heal)
    –> Potion No.9 (One time use heal item - All Great-Heal)

• Cap (Head: 4 Defense)
    -> Shower Cap (Head: 1 Defense, Water Skill Evade Up)

• Glove (Weapon: 4 Attack / Glove: -5 Speed)
    -> Bowling Ball (Weapon: 8 Attack / Glove: 0 Defense)
    –> Taeko’s Punch (Weapon: 16 Attack / Glove: 0 Defense)

• Director’s Boxers (Body: 2 Defense, -10 IQ / Head: -5 IQ)
    Watanabe’s Boxers (Body: 1 Defense, -25 IQ / Head: -45 IQ)
    -> Hoodie (Body: 4 Defense)
    Taeko’s Jeans (Body: 2 Defense)
    –> Full-body Tights (Body: 10 Defense)
    Punk Jacket (Body: 12 Defense, +8 Vitality)
    Taeko’s Stockings (Body: 4 Defense / Head: 0 Defense)
    —> Rider Belt (Accessory: +4 Power, +2 Vitality)
    ----> Shinju Shirt (Body: 20 Defense, +10 Power)

• Misanga (Accessory: +4 IQ)
    -> Power Wrist (Glove: 2 Defense, +4 Power)

• Bracelet (Accessory: +2 IQ)
    Buriki Brooch (Accessory: +3 Vitality)
    Punk’s Armband (Weapon: 6 Attack / Glove: 6 Defense) (+2 Power)
    -> Abnormal Pearl (Accessory: +8 Power, -4 IQ)
    MK Badge (Accessory: +2 Speed)
    Tattoo (Accessory: +4 Power)
    –> Golden Hairpin (Head: +8 IQ)
    Coral Ring (Accessory: +4 IQ, Water Field Immunity, Water Skill Evade Up)
    —> Magic Pendant (Accessory: -2 Power, -2 Speed, -2 Vitality, +8 IQ)

• Sneaks (Boots: 1 Defense, +4 Speed)
    -> Iron Foot (Boots: 6 Defense, +12 Power)
    –> Rider Boots (Boots: 3 Defense, +6 Power)

• Taeko’s Panties (Body: 8 Defense / Head: 0 Defense) (Sleep Immunity)
    -> Magic Pendant (Accessory: -2 Power, -2 Speed, -2 Vitality, +8 IQ)
    Potion No.9 (One time use heal item - All Great-Heal)
    Power Wrist (Glove: 2 Defense, +4 Power)
    Rider Boots (Boots: 3 Defense, +6 Power)

• Throwing Knife (One time use battle item)
    -> Bounce Gun (*Robot Accessory: “Bounce Punch”)
    Hand Grenade (One time use battle item)
    Napalm Bomb (One time use battle item)
    –> 100V Laser (*Robot Accessory: “100V Laser”)
    Plasma Spark (*Robot Accessory: “Plasma Spark”)
    Stun Gun (*Robot Accessory: “50,000V Shock”)
    —> Poison Jet (One time use battle item)
    ----> Kotobuki Lacquer (*Robot Accessory: “Lacquer Spray Shot”)
    Stone Cannon (*Robot Accessory: “Intense Shot”)
    -----> Angel’s Bottle (One time use battle item)
    Kintoto Cannon (*Robot Accessory: “Goldfish Shot”)
    ------> Hiyokokko Cannon (*Robot Accessory: “Dizzy Shot”)

I won’t document my exact use of this system, but if items pop up out of nowhere, this is where they came from. With that out of the way, it’s time for Shinji to deal with his inability to become a pilot. Watch him take it out on the Crusaders…next time!

And a heads up: I’m reaching the end of the semester, so expect my update schedule to be really slow. I’ll work when I can, but I’m going to focus on schoolwork first, obviously. I might not update again before the semester’s end, but anything can happen. If anyone reading wants to, feel free to suggest names for our spherical robot. (six character limit, no numbers) That way, if I do get free time, I can play further and give myself more content to edit.

2 Likes