When the fire fades, the ash will rise... Let's Play Dark Souls 3

Guest Commentator: @Loosebricks

I apologize for everything and nothing in this video, especially during the boss fight.

We’ve got one more video after this to finish out the Undead Settlement because this is a huge area with some good secrets worth finding.

Also, I can’t really speculate on Andre, as there may be someone else later on that might fit that description better.

1 Like

The Curse-Rotted Greatwood is kind of a giant baby. He just sits on his ass, pissing poisonous liquid, kind of swiping at you but with not a lot of motor control. Sometimes he rolls on his back and throws a tantrum, and sometimes he stands up, but falls back down again.

Also, for those who haven’t played Dark Souls III before, note where you find Evangelists and what items you find around them. They’re related to Aldrich, and are significant, kind of like the Channelers in Dark Souls I.

I do not condone animal violence, I just thought it was a good joke at the time.

It was, I was just poking fun a little. Based on how many times I said “sacks” during the boss fight, I just thought it was funny what we were saying at the time.

I wanted to clear it up for people thats all lol

Guest Commentator: @Loosebricks

It’s the last video (for now?) with our first guest, LB, so let’s finish off the Undead Settlement by making a couple of new friends!

We’re gonna wind down after freeing a nun from prison(?) by celebrating with a beer or two with our new best friend.

And if anyone understand the lineage of the onion people, you are more than welcome to inform/correct me on it.

1 Like

Guest Commentator: @Enrel

We’re here with a new commentator and two new episodes… because we may or may not have forgotten to do an introduction for Enrel in the first video…

Anyway, in Episode 07, we explore more of Firelink Shrine and meet the NPC with the far-and-away strangest name in the Souls series. Then, we go kill some larger birdpeople and make even more friends.

And yes, Episode 08’s title is the most obvious joke in the world, but you know what, how many opportunities – genuine opportunities – does one get to reference that Sony press conference disaster? That’s right, not enough.

(if anything, the genius-ness of 07’s title sort of makes up for 08’s, right? …right??)

1 Like

Not going to lie, these are probably your best videos thus far.

Well, I’m glad you genuinely-and-totally-without-bias think that! Now, I don’t want to get you too excited, but wait until you see the next FOUR videos. It’ll blow your mind!

1 Like

How did you not point out that the description of the Fallen Knight set mentions that it’s drenched in urine. That’s perhaps the most significant bit of lore in the entire game.

The specific quote is from the trousers’ item description, which reads:

Trousers of an order of fallen knights. Held beneath leather boots and drab cloth using a knot of rope and bandage, they are dampened and indelibly stained with the misery of flight.

Dark Souls has a weird sense of humor sometimes.

The fact that my favorite armor set is covered in piss makes me realize maybe this game series was a mistake…

Goddamnit.

It’s a joke on From’s part because they realized a lot of players would use that set, I think. I used it too in my first run. Then I learned its horrible secret. I did not want to put another stain onto these trousers. So I stopped wearing pants altogether. That’s my Dark Souls III story.

Do you also squat down and drop a Dung Pie?

God damn it.

Crab. Broke my knife. Crab battle.

(The alternate title for this episode is “You Can’t Block The Swamp”)

The beginning of this game is a little light on boss fights compared to the end, so let’s go fight someone to make up for it.

We’re also going to meet up with a man so stoic, so shiny, so… mildly annoyed that we showed up that I think we’ll get along juuuuust fiiiiine.

A quick note about Orbeck that I never knew is that he won’t come back to Firelink for you if you don’t have 10 INT, and since I almost always start as Deprived, I’ve never been below 10 INT to notice.

If you’re below 10 Int Orbeck says (when asked to learn sorcery):

You’d better not. Sorcery is not for everyone.
And should never be forced. You have your own methods.
Sorcery need not be one of them. Don’t let it bother you.
Be on your way, then.
You’re Unkindled. Shouldn’t you get back to your duty?

It’s not as much of an insult as when Carhillion of the Fold basically says: “The light is on, but there’s nobody home” when you meet him in Yo Ho Ho Village in Dark Souls 2.

We’re going to begin to explore the Cathedral of the Deep because there certainly is a lot of it to explore. I also come the closest to having to start a Death Counter in this episode, but let’s hope that doesn’t actually happen… right?

Anyway, we get a cool new sword that has this badass description:

Executioner’s Greatsword

Greatsword of a debauched executioner used for beheadings.

This sword retains a keen memory of its executioner’s duty, and absorbs FP from each fallen foe.

1 Like

You mentioned not knowing how the Leech monsters flinch, and in my experience if you’re just hitting them with physical damage they don’t. They flinch like crazy if you hit them with fire though, to the point where its trivially easy to stunlock them even with just the basic torch. Not as cool looking a way to fight them as using fancy sword spins is though.

Getting through the “second loop” of the cathedral, we run into a few old friends, but there’s one who’s more noteworthy than the other. And I will try to make sure I never start too many videos with the same gesture in a row, or I might have to atone for it a bit more…

Also, I am including the three screenshots I took of the statue in question, so that Enrel or anyone else can show the rest of us what he sees:

1 Like