What's the story behind your username?

I wanted to be an Ent in a Lord of the Rings roleplaying game, so I took the name Luca Brasi from the Godfather and made it into a more tree-appropriate name.

1 Like

I was a kid thinking of what to name my cool DND character and got stuck because I was shit at names. I thought of a random name (Darren) then just sorta added an ae to it because it made it look elfy. Then I used it for a few online handles, and now like a decade and a half later it’s My Brand.

So yeah, nothing to do with the character from Game of Thrones that apparently exists.

3 Likes

This is a long, bizarre one, apologies in advance.

So, I’m a big fan of Super Sentai shows, and one of my favorites is Choujuu Sentai Liveman. A team of genius scientists fight against their former classmates who have abandoned humanity in order to pursue scientific discovery without ethical or moral restrictions. At one point in the series, there’s an epic two-parter where two siblings of the victims of the villains arrive and end up joining the heroes as 4th and 5th members of the team. The inspiration for my username comes from the episode immediately after this two-parter, and it is by far the most insane episode of tokusatsu television I have ever seen.

One of the new members of the team, the Green Rhino, is riding a bike when he is hit by a beam from a monster hiding in the bushes. This beam… well, it impregnates him with a monster baby. Stay with me, it gets weirder.

Understandably, his team is very concerned about what’s happening to their teammate, so they load him into an ambulance so they can… get an abortion. And the monster that attacked him bursts out, attacking the ambulance while declaring “You didn’t think I’d let you get an abortion!”. Stay with me, it gets WEIRDER.

Meanwhile, Green Rhino has heard the psychic voice of his unborn monster child beg for the right to live, so he decides to go through the pregnancy. The baby leaves his body in a cloud of gas, and becomes a man-sized monster immediately. Stay with me, IT GETS WEIRDER

Green Rhino freaks out and chases his monster spawn off, and immediately regrets it. As he searches for his weird baby, the father monster gets angry at them for not killing Green Rhino as soon as they were born and mortally injures it. Green Rhino carries the baby off on his back through a field of flowers, singing it a lullaby as it dies. Enraged, he kills the monster that impregnated him. The episode ends with him at the grave he set up for his child, and he tearfully says, “Thank you, Vega Baby, for teaching me the love of a mother.”

I will remind you that this is the first episode after Green Rhino was introduced, and an “mpreg tragic child death” plot was how they decided to expand on his character. I will also note that this episode is played 100% serious and straight.

I was looking for a new username at the time I watched this episode, and I got the fool idea in my head that it’d be great to have one with huge baggage and a lengthy explanation.

At least it sounds cute out of context?

19 Likes

My name + Magmortar. Pretty simple. I got the icon before the name and I took one look at this picture and thought “Yes, this is me.”

2 Likes

I was way into the LucasArts adventure games, so I took scumm from the Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion engine that made all the early games. Also, I was young(er) at the time and _boy seemed like a good way to finish the nick.

Mine is a spin on the original code name of the Nintendo 64, the Ultra 64. I think it was 97 or 98 that I came up with the username, so yeah, I’ve been Mega64 for nearly twenty years now, though I’ve used other aliases off and on in my various insane internet adventures.

The Mega64 internet channel is actually named after me. I met Rocco from the group on an AOL message board around 99 or so, and we both had similar sets of humor and hit it off, trolling internet chatrooms while role playing as the hosts of the Nickelodeon TV show Wild and Crazy Kids with the guy the puppet is named after. After a few years he told me he was starting up some thing with his friends and wanted to name it Mega64, after me. It’s pretty awesome that it’s still going strong after all these years.

16 Likes

I used to use an easily identifiable gamer tag, on Xbox Live for the OG xbox. But between the live sub expiring and getting a 360 I forgot the password for that one so I needed to come up with something new for the new 360. It’s the name of a hardcore band that I must have been listening to a lot at the time. Except they used numerals,and xbox live wouldn’t allow an all numerals gamer tag.

I’m pretty tired of it and have been thinking of starting a new one,

Once upon a time I was 12 and really liked Kingdom Hearts so I went by NeoKairi. Over time, partially out of embarrassment, I shortened it to NK and went by MissNK, however neither are very unique. I find plenty of other NKs or MissNKs so it’s like I’m not this NK right here but that NK.

1 Like

At lunch a friend once just yelled at me “You look like a Tolvo!” Then everyone started calling me Tolvo and then it just came into my online life and identity. It was actually kind of nice because it was a gender neutral made up name and as I discovered I was transgender it made things a bit easier for me regarding names. I’ve been thinking about starting a new identity online so I could be out and trans without any link to my time thinking I was cis but until I see it as necessary I’ll be Tolvo.

11 Likes

One of a series of names I cycled through to amuse my friends in multiplayer games, and for whatever reason this one stuck. Partially inspired by:

5 Likes

My initials are DK.

I’m very creative.

2 Likes

Malconvoker is a D&d 3.5 prestige class that I’ve never played but liked the concept of. Basicly, it’s a good aligned summoner who tricks demons and devils into helping them fight other evil things, mostly by lying and dressing like a walking evil stereotype.
I also figure it’s never really ever taken anywhere online, so it’s mine =3

Kirby is my favorite game series, so my username is just a combo of my two favorite bosses to fight: Meta Knight and Marx.

(I used to be Elephantgun, btw)

It’s my name I use for Fighting Games. It’s my name plus “Yo”, because I say “Yo” a lot! A local FGC player, Tampa Bison, helped me come up with it.

In college, me and some buds were ordering from the menu of a local place that had a little bit of every generic american food on there. The menu had pictures on it, y’know, like chicken tenders on a plate, some hot dogs in a basket on a table, pizza in a box, other totally run-of-the-mill food pics. What stuck out on this menu was one picture, of a burger, sitting on NOTHING, just floating on a black background. We joked “Oh man, check out this Void Burger.” and we decided that “VoidBurger” would be a really good SomethingAwful name, so I changed my previous one to VoidBurger. My previous one sucked so much, lol. It was ScrotumTotem (which screams “Look at me, I’m an edgy college coolgirl who went to Japan once and aren’t Tanuki statues funny?”), so good riddance.

My usual avatar is a scan of the original burger pic, this is exactly how it was in the menu, surrounded by other, completely normal stock photos of food.

24 Likes

Mine comes from Persona. There’s a series of self help books in Persona 4 called “The Man Series”. Kanji Tatsumi’s Instant Kill in Persona 4 Arena is also just “The Man Series: Brofist”.

2 Likes

Like so many, I’m horribly uncreative when it comes to names. My first handle I used in more than one place was mocliamtoh. Yes, it came from my email address at the time.

When I signed up for SA, I knew I wanted to change it. Streamers I watched at the time would always stumble over it, so I went with this. There are things I don’t like about it, like how there’s no good short version, and it’s too long for some places. That said, it’s generally available, and pretty recognizable, so it’s going to stick around for a while yet.

2 Likes

Back when I was a wee tot I watched my cousin play a ton of Everquest under the name ‘Xiaro’, being an uncreative preteen I shamelessly ripped off that name for a few years until I started playing WoW under a slightly modified ‘Xiaras.’

Eventually I got tired of trying to reason out a way to reasonably explain how to pronounce it, so I changed it one more time to a similarly pronounced ‘Zaras.’ Which to my dismay was way more common than my previous moniker, but I stuck with it since then nonetheless.

I decided to use my name because it was easier for me than something like Turok McRib.

I was named after a Doctor, and I am not related to the avocado.

1 Like

Well, I used to be on an Asheron’s Call RP server when I was ~14 and my character’s race was “Sho” which was kind of generically east Asian in appearance, so I mashed up the names of a few anime characters and used that. Turns out, “Ikaruwa”, which was my character’s surname, is gibberish and therefore always available everywhere I go, so I’ve kept using it despite the embarrassment I feel over my weeaboo nickname.