We Take Pictures, That's It - Let's Play Pokemon Snap

So today we are going to collect all the Pokemon Signs as well as tackle the “secret” stage. I say that in quotations because I’m not entirely sure how secret it was based off of Professor Oak’s reaction.

3 Likes

Todd’s work, the Pokemon report, the island, even the damn magic cloud. Everything was organized and fabricated by Oak just so he could write a paper and prove to his colleagues that he’s still the Pokemon professor, and deserved to keep receiving grant money.

4 Likes

It’s amazing how much of this game I forgot about. Rainbow Cloud? What the heck?!?

1 Like

Its a crazy feeling to have some LPers that got me into LP commenting in my thread. This has probably been one of the best journeys I have done. Everyone here made this whole thing amazing. Sadly, we are now on the final video. I show off everything I can think of and know about, even the things I know I missed get shown.

I will be leaving the thread open for another week before archiving. Please let me know of your final thoughts. It’s the comments that really drove this to what it became.

1 Like

Mew may be worth the most points, but just imagine: Mew but with balloons. Professor Oak would have a field day.

It’s a shame I never got into Pokemon Snap, considering I like both photography and Pokemon. The fact that you could go and print the pictures was delightfully 90s as well.

2 Likes

This was a fun ride, it was great to see Snap get some attention again.

Now, before we ride into the abyss, there are a few last things I’d like to mention:

• In the Volcano, getting Growlithe or Arcanine from each crater is actually random, you can get three of either one if you’re lucky.

• At the end of the Cave, when you’re getting a performance from the Jigglypuff you saved, playing the PokeFlute will make them angry, because you’re basically stealing their spotlight. It isn’t worth more points, but it’s a fun detail.

• There are more Pokemon that react/dance to the PokeFlute than you’d expect. Charmander and Magmar dance, for example, though in most cases, getting pictures of the Pokemon eating or attacking is worth more.

• I could be remembering wrong, but the Pokemon with multiple reactions to the Pokeflute tend to have one that is more valuable than the others. I want to say that the third song got you more points on Jynx, for example.

• You actually slow down a little bit if you’re looking backwards, which can make lining up some shots you normally barely get a bit easier. According to videos I’ve seen, you can slow down even more by mashing the quick-turn buttons, but that’s incredibly annoying.

• The bonus for Flying Pikachu (riding the Articuno) is worth more than Balloon Pikachu. However, it is difficult to get it to happen quickly enough for you to get a good shot without using the slowdown trick.

• If I’m remembering right, the performing Jigglypuff are the third highest-scoring picture you can take in the game, behind Flying Pikachu and Mew. The six Charmander is a close fourth.

• After a fair bit of work, and quite a few years ago, my brother and I found that there are no additional rewards for reaching 250,000 points, 275,000 points, or for beating all of the score challenges. Can’t remember if we got close to 300,000 points, but probably not.

• While we were hoping that the ability to hit the brakes would unlock at some point(see above), it never happens. There are, however, GameShark codes that let you use the L button to stop the Zero-One, if you’re a dirty cheater.

• The photo minigame in Pokemon Sun & Moon is still terrible, and will likely still be terrible in Ultra S&M if they decide to bring it back.

Farewell, Snap. I’d love to see you make a return someday.

Thanks for the LP. I hope that vile Professor Oak stops torturing animals. Even robot Pokemon deserve better than to be pesterballed for art.

1 Like

Oh no way, they made a sequel to Snap after all! Amazing!

3 Likes

Pokemon Go certainly hit a certain niche that I love. Not quite the same as Pokemon Snap, but I’d still be playing it if I hadn’t lost all my progress when my phone broke.

There was certainly some things there I didn’t know about. I might have actually seen Pikachu riding Articuno had I done the quick turn slow down. But from videos I’ve seen of people doing that, it’s actually possible to get motion sick from that. If anyone were to do an LP of this with the intention of all the best photos, that could be a really interesting watch.

Alright, looks like we’re all done here. @moderators can you put this one under completed lets plays? Please and thank you.