This LP is not a Bad Dream. Let's Play Bloodborne Blind

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:
:siren:Latest episode: 64 - I’m Still in a Dream
:tw:Violence, Gore I guess? :tw:

I love From Software’s Souls series. The Souls games are a series of action RPGs that punish impulsiveness and reward meticulous play and careful observation and it generally feels really good to overcome challenges in these games. Just looking at my Steam library, I’ve put in almost 200 hours into the PC versions of Dark Souls 1-3 alone, which isn’t even getting into the hours I’ve poured into the PS3 versions. Last year, I did a blind stream-LP of Demon’s Souls, which you can find here, and I had a lot of fun with it! As far as the series goes, however, that’s basically all I planned to play, since this game is a PS4 exclusive and I had no plans to pick one up. Things changed over the holidays, so I decided to do another blind steam LP!

Generally, these games tend to have a medieval setting, but Bloodborne does something a little different and is set in a slightly more contemporary era, that of Victorian Era London. Gone are the shields and armor of the other Souls games, as this game’s arsenal features weapons like guns and canes. The game rewards a very different style of play from the other Souls games - hiding behind a shield is no longer an option, so instead, emphasis is on dodging around attacks and staggering foes by shooting them. It still feels like a Souls game, but trying to play it like one will get you killed. It looks and feels very stylish once it all clicks though!

This is a blind LP of Bloodborne where I’m regularly joined by my friends liquidypoo, his cat, casnorf, Jobbo_Fett and LP Superstar Artix, along with assorted others who appear sporadically. It’s also a livestream LP, so I’ll make posts here and a few other places, such as my Twitter when we’re planning to stream and when we plan to go live. I tend to stream at my beam channel, but that is subject to change. Tentatively, streams will happen on Tuesday nights around 7 PM EST, with updates on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. That is subject to change depending on life.

Those of you who have watched my previous blind Demon’s Souls LP may remember that the first couple of sessions had a little gimmick where liquidy would read stories from PYF Food Industry Horror Stories upon my deaths - we ran out of stories partway through the LP, but we’ve sourced some more now so storytime is back for the forseeable future!

This is a Souls game, and invasions are a major part of the series, though Bloodborne’s implementation is… poor, to say the least. I’ll keep the OP updated with my current level and I’ll mention what my current level is when I stream, but I might not be open to invasions if I haven’t rung the Beckoning Bell. I might not always want to do co-op, so I tend to not have the bell rung, which also closes me off from invasions.

Also, let’s talk spoiler policy: If we haven’t seen it in a video or it hasn’t been discussed, don’t talk about it! Don’t do spoiler bars either. This is a blind LP and I would like for it to remain that way.

Playlist

Session 1: Welcome to Yharnam

Session 2 (Feat. CJacobs): Gascoigne

Session 3: Old Yharnam

Session 4: Bag Town

Session 5: Hemwick Charnel

Session 6: Forbidden Woods, Part 1

Session 7: Forbidden Woods, Part 2

Session 8: So, you like to play Castlevania

Session 9: Byrgenwerth

Alt Audio version

Session 10: Yahar’gul, Unseen Village

Session 11: Altar of Despair

Session 12 (feat. CJacobs): The Old Hunters

Session 13: RC Pinball

Session 14 (feat. CJacobs): The Orphan of Kos

Session 15 (feat. CJacobs): Nightmare of Mensis

Session 16: The First Hunter

4 Likes

And now that this thread is here, it is Tuesday, so we’re probably gonna stream tonight around 7 EST or so.

I’m not sure which is more amazing, the fact that we’re here now or the fact that I am officially on the same level as LP Superstar Blind Sally.

This is the game that made me reconsider my stance on Dark Souls and now that I love the games I’m glad to see someone else play blind. I had a helper for most of my playthrough but it was still rough.

You planning to do the DLC? Without spoiling anything, it has some of the best bosses in the game.

Yeah, we’ll get to the DLC at some point. I think liquidy wanted me to take a peek at it at the start of tonight’s stream, but we’ll see when we get there.

Bloodborne is absolutely a demonstration that the most basic parts of the Dark Souls formula work when applied to other genres – I just didn’t expect horror to be the one they went for first.

Will be following this… need to know if you still dream…

Bloodborne just makes me want to see FROMsoft take the Dark Soul formula and go wild with different story/location genres.

I for one would adore a sci-fi Soulsborne. Because we all know The Surge probably isn’t gonna cut it since its made by the same guys who did Lords of the Fallen…

We’re going live in a few! For those who don’t know, the streams are considerably ahead of the archived videos. This session will start on episode 31 or so.

We’re gonna be here!

Edit: I don’t know why my image thumbnail is so tiny so

09 - Old Yharnam

Edit2: Wait why is it normal sized now I don’t understand

You must’ve gone up an insight tier.

It’s Tuesday, which means it’s time for another stream! Join us over at https://beam.pro/chaosargate!

You could summon Alfred before the DLC patch, but it was wonky as heck - if you rang the Beckoning Bell and there were no other players available, then sometimes he would show up. The patch that came with Old Hunters added the specific summoning spot for him.

Yeah that sounds wonky as shit, not gonna lie. I’m happy they changed that.

It’s stream night, so come join us over at https://beam.pro/chaosargate!

We’re gonna move through the backlog a little faster from here on out, since there’s so much, so this thread’ll update Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays now.

Yeah, I caught a bit of the stream and was pretty surprised at how far along you were.

I’ve been sitting on this footage for a few weeks now, so here’s a bonus episode. About two weeks ago, I made another character so I could try out a Str/Arc build and also try to catch some stuff I might’ve missed.

At last we know what Argate thinks about children.