This game aimed for a certain target audience: Let's Play Link's Crossbow Training!

Hello, I’m Brad the Mad and this is Let’s Play Link’s Crossbow Training!

The Game

Link’s Crossbow Training for the Nintendo Wii is, as you might have guessed, a spin-off game from The Legend of Zelda. You take to the Hyrule of Twilight Princess in order to face down many enemies such as wooden targets, fruit balloons and skulls of the inanimate and the re-animated kind. It’s formatted in a similar way to an arcade based shooter with an aim to get the highest score possible in any way you can. However, it is a Nintendo game at heart so expect some interesting ways of boosting that score.

This game was one of two that I’m aware of (the other being The Conduit) that makes explicit use of a certain piece of plastic called the Wii Zapper. This strange device has a slot that both aims the Wii Remote at the screen and gives you access to the Nunchuck’s control stick in case you need it. It has the dubious honour of being one of the few non-mechanical peripheral devices made and endorsed by Nintendo. This is the game that it came with!

The LP

Each episode I will be going through one of the levels from 1 to Finale and showing the three parts of said level in the main single player mode called Score Attack. At the end of each level we will be awarded one of four medals: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. We won’t be trying for Platinum as you don’t get anything for getting all Platinum. I will be playing through this game showing any score-boosting tips I can (on purpose and accidentally) with the thought that if one day you may be possessed by the vengeful spirit of dead Wii Remote addons and be forced to play this game you will know what you’re doing. I will also be playing this game as it was meant to be played; Wii Zapper + Skyward Sword Wii Remote + Nunchuck.

I will be commentating live and solo throughout all of these videos in a style that I like to call stream-of-broken-consciousness. This isn’t likely to be a 100% informative series, however it will give you a good idea of how the game is played and some interesting features that this game has. With regards to updates, there will be a new video uploaded to my YouTube channel at 9:00PM BST/4:00PM EDT every Saturday and an update to the thread soon after that.

But that’s not all!

Because of my morbid curiosity, if any of you avid readers have this game and feel like playing along, put your scores for the level after each update in order to obtain the bewilderingly cheap prize of gloating rites! The more details that you have about getting the high score would be great to know too!

And still, that’s not all!

In order to keep the thread interesting, every few videos there will be a bonus video inspired by various titles that I thought of in the shower. They will include a some game different to the one in the thread with a different format. Keep your eye out for them!

The Rules

• Keep spoilers to a minimum. Even though this is a game that doesn’t rely on a heavy plot, there are some interesting levels that are best met with an unsoiled mind.

• I absolutely welcome any sort of tips or better gameplay advice that I don’t show in the videos. However, these tips shouldn’t descend into aimless complaining about missed targets and the like.

• Of course, the general ‘Be Civil’ rules apply.

The Videos

Without further ado (and meandering words!), here is the LP! I hope you enjoy it!

LPThreadEpisodeLCT1
LPThreadEpisodeLCT2
LPThreadEpisodeExtraTMO
LPThreadEpisodeLCT3
LPThreadEpisodeLCT4
LPThreadEpisodeLCT5
LPThreadEpisodeExtraCST
LPThreadEpisodeLCT6
LPThreadEpisodeLCT7
LPThreadEpisodeLCT8
LPThreadEpisodeExtraTTG
LPThreadEpisodeLCT9

2 Likes

I think I said my piece for this episode in the comments section of the video itself, but I do want to stress that I really hope that Malo Mart shows up. With the music of course. I naturally have no idea if it does mind you.
Useless tip #1 (because apparently that’s a thing I’ve decided to do now): Scarecrows are not skeletons. (somehow I almost left the tip “Scarecrows are not pumpkins” which, while also true, isn’t very helpful)

I remember this game, at least in the sense that I remember extremely minute and meaningless details about my life in favor of actual important things like friends’ and relatives’ birthdays. The gist of it is that this was the game my mom almost bought me as a Christmas gift nine years ago before I asked her to get me Left 4 Dead instead.

Other than that, I’ve got nothing on this game. My entire actual experience with it is the “uncut” version of a Chip Cheezum video where the added audio was him and Ironicus trying to play the game, and some four-panel comic where Link and Zelda sat on the couch and tried to play the game with an actual crossbow (and shot the TV). I’m interested in seeing what I missed, though, seeing as it looks to essentially be another arcade-style rail shooter on a console I owned pretty much solely to play arcade-style rail shooters.

The only criticism I can offer is that the subtitles you used to correct yourself when you referred to the scarecrows as skeletons could be a little smaller, and maybe a slightly brighter color or outlined in a contrasting one.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’m going to have a play around with different options and see what works best.

Gorons love to live dangerously.

Episode 2 of Link’s Crossbow Training is here!

LPThreadEpisodeLCT2

I cant tell if this game has low rez versions of all the Twilight Princess areas, or if I just dont remember the game looling like this.

Was the last version of TP you played the HD Wii U port? That might explain it.

It was not. Ive only played the original Wii version.

Take Me Out: I play a video game online and try not to look terrible!

In this break video I play Halo 5 and battle an unexpected difficulty!

LPThreadEpisodeExtraTMO

Oh man, I was obsessed with this game for about 6 weeks after it came out; trying to get perfect scores and whatnot. Then I realized I had burnt myself out on it. Cool little tech demo/hardware demo thing, and its a shame the Wii Zapper didn’t get used in more stuff

1 Like

I don’t remember those in Twilight Princess…

Episode 3 of Link’s Crossbow Training is here!

LPThreadEpisodeLCT3

Fancy a spa break? You may need it for the other two challenges.

Episode 4 of Link’s Crossbow Training is here!

LPThreadEpisodeLCT4

A little later than billed but…

You thought the Gorons were brave holding the targets, you ain’t seen nothing yet…

Episode 5 of Link’s Crossbow Training is here!

LPThreadEpisodeLCT5

Time for another break and a reminder that not all games are played with a controller.

It’s Card Shark Tank!

LPThreadEpisodeExtraCST

World Cup fever has hit me like a train. Time to get back on target…

Things with wings are bad in all sorts of ways.

Episode 6 of Link’s Crossbow Training is here!

LPThreadEpisodeLCT6

If you’re a fan of tombs, the sky or time then you’ll love this video!

Episode 7 of Link’s Crossbow Training is here!

LPThreadEpisodeLCT7

Because of busy social stuff, it makes this week a DOUBLE UPDATE!

First we have mighty duel with the day/knight cycle in Link’s Crossbow Training…

LPThreadEpisodeLCT8

And second we have something delightfully sunny and disc shaped in That’s The Game, where I show off a sports game which this time stars Wii Sport Resort!

LPThreadEpisodeExtraTTG

Next week is the final episode of Link’s Crossbow Training, be prepared for the mighty finale!

After a few weeks of no content due to chaos, here is the final episode filled with the best stages in the game!

LPThreadEpisodeLCT9

This LP was a lot of fun to make! I hope you all enjoyed the interesting mechanics and the unique look at a Zelda game. I’ll see you next time for something new!