There's so much more left to discover before the world ends... Let's Play Horizon Zero Dawn

The voice acting in this game is so much better than the lip syncing, that it’s kind of distracting.

Okay. So. The lipsyncing is not as great, no.

But there might be some points in the game where the voices just completely desync, as that happened during my last playthrough. If that happens, I’ll see what I can do in post to correct that, but it may just be a problem that happens.

That’s a damn shame, because everything else in this game (animations, voice acting, ambient music, environmental design, character design) appears to have been highly polished.

By the way, if you guys haven’t seen this yet, this cosplay is absolutely amazing!

everything i heard about this game compared it to nier automata, but from what you’ve shown us so far, that comparison doesn’t do it justice. i am looking forward seeing more.

1 Like

Let’s finish up some side quests and go see what Rost has in store for us. We get to encounter a cool, new machine, too!

I can kind of see that, but N:A leans much farther into Science Fantasy territory than this game does. HZD isn’t necessarily hard sci-fi, but it stays much closer to the realm of reality. Horizon often feels like the new Tomb Raider games, but with a mix of a couple other contemporary series, like the Batman Arkham games.

1 Like

Let me guess: Somewhere along the line, we are going to be able to tame and ride a Watcher.

Just before the Proving, the Nora celebrate with a huge festival and feast, but with the arrival of us and another tribe or two, things are a little tense. It certainly doesn’t help how Rost left us at the gate.

Either way, we’re just a day away from answers, and then we’ve got a few things to take care of.

1 Like

Wow thank you for doing this game. I don’t have time to dig into games much anymore but this one looks awesome. I love that you’re digging through all the dialogue trees.
I do have one request/suggestion, could you slow down every so often and look at the landscapes? Mothers Heart and the Embrace look fantastic but we’re zipping around so much it’s hard to appreciate!
Anyway, thanks.

Why do we even want to join the Nora anyway? They just seem like such douchenozzles. Let’s go with Muttonchops McGee and see Meridian instead.

Surely the facts of our origins can’t be that exciting?

I can definitely do that. I’ve also had a plan to show off the photo mode since it is what I’m using to get (most of) the thumbnails for the videos.

Oddly enough, photo mode is enabled during this first visit to Mother’s Heart, but I wasn’t allowed to move the camera to get a good shot. They had it disabled for some reason.

Oh, and the pace is going to slow down a lot after the next 2 (I think) videos, as that is when the world truly opens up for us to just go off and do stuff.

Also, I’m not ignoring your responses in this thread, but I’m just hesitant to suggest at anything since you may be a little closer to the truth than you might think…

Oh, I’m fine with stumbling around in the dark. I have no foreknowledge of this game, I’m just guessing based on previous knowledge how openworld games usually work.

I also want to engage with the thread!

Today’s the day we run the Proving to… prove that we’re good enough for the Nora, but we want to win if we’re ever going to get answers about our mother.

1 Like

Well that went differently than I expected, which was Vala turning on you after you both smoke everyone else in the Proving.

I also wonder why Rost was there, after he said he’d never see Aloy again. Was he watching?

There’s an optional scene I get to in a few videos that kind of explains it, but as for Rost’s motivation, we just have to assume that he was looking out for Aloy during the Proving. I mean, obviously, we can’t ask him at this point, though…

And this one’s a big one!

Alright, so. There’s a lot to unpack here, but now we’re finally got our answers and a (albeit vague) direction on what to do.

Light spoilers below until you watch the video!

So, now we’ve seen a woman who looks suspiciously like, and old enough to be, Aloy’s mom. So, here’s some questions for you to speculate over:

1. Who is that woman we saw in the hologram?
  2. Why did the attackers want to kill Aloy?
  3. Who (or what) is behind that huge vault door?
  4. How are the attackers using machines to fight for them?
  5. Why is Resh such a huge, HUGE asshole?

All of these questions will be answered in the game (except 5, because screw Resh), but I’d like to hear what you all think.

Also, a little oversight in the game that you probably missed (that I only caught in editing), but did you notice that the Corruptor module was already on Aloy’s spear when she retrieved it in All-Mother mountain, just before the fight?

And one more thing!

In between editing and recording episodes, Horizon Zero Dawn got an update that includes a New Game+ mode. I haven’t had the time to look into how it looks or plays, but I’ll do a little video on it when that time comes. In the meantime, here’s a screenshot of the main menu right after the update:

2 Likes

Since this is in Colorado and the tribe is called the Nora, I’m already pretty sure that whatever is beyond that gate is the remains of the NORAD.

There is a non zero chance that Aloy is a clone (or engineered being) of hologram lady although the percentage matches for DNA measured by a laser, somehow, are pretty low all things considered.

Hologram lady was probably an officer or scientist with NORAD. From the way she talked to the gate, it’s possible that the gatekeeper voice is more than a noisy authentication screen and might be a full AI but then again I swear at completely dumb rocks and plenty of other people do so who knows.

Resh is a dick because the writers wanted a bit more conflict, I guess?

The one thing that really stuck with me from this video was Aloy’s tech reliance. When she woke up in pain, her first thought isn’t about Rost or any of her goals until now, it’s “I need my focus”.
That’s a pretty big leap from the Nora’s whole metal devil/faithless/whispering of machines thing. I wonder how well Aloy would’ve been able to live with the Nora if the proving hadn’t gone so wrong.

Teb is such a fanboy.