The Ranking of Shmups - Let's play every shmup and rank them in an abitrary order!

insert fancy logo here

Hello and welcome to The Ranking of Shmups!

I really like shmups and shooters in general. I also like showing off games to people have not heard of them. So, it would be perfect if I can combine both of these. But, what if I was able to also find what are the best shmups out of all of them? Enter The Ranking of Shmups!

So what is this?

This will be a series of streams in which I do three simple things: Play Shmups, Rank them overall, rank their soundtrack.

How are you keeping track of this?

With this handy dandy spreadsheet!

What exactly are you considering a shmup?

I have four rules

1. The game must give you full movement around a single axis (X, Y, or Z) (Although tube shooters like Tempest and Gyruss are allowed)
  2. If you are not in control of some sort of craft, you must have no movement abilities that are required for progression (no jumping etc.)
  3. The focus of the game must be purely reflex driven with a primary focus on dodging projectiles/enemies and destroying some sort of enemy
  4. Shmups with an alternate genre such as fighting (Twinkle Star Sprites), Racing (Topple Zip and Kingdom Grand Prix), and Puzzle (Xevious: GAMP no Nazo) are allowed

That seems kind of…broad…

Yeah, I understand that some of these games might not be generally considered shmups, but I think they have most of the same concepts for them to be close enough.

Do you have any other rules?

Yes

• Games in a franchise must be played in order of release
  • Any platform I can get footage out of is viable
  • I must at least give each game 1 or 2 playthroughs before breaking out any cheats to see the rest of the game
  • Rankings are my preference and are not meant to be some sort of solid truth

Also, the following will not be covered

• Eroge is right out. (Sorry Steam Hearts)
  • No Dezeamon or other Shmup Creator as that’s only as good as the shmups you make in it
  • Any shmup/RPG that takes multiple hours to get through like Sigma Star Saga and Fuzzical Fighter are also out

When will you be doing this?

Every other Friday at around 8:00PM CST. I will most likely do some on Saturdays as well at around the same time.
My streams can be found at http://twitch.tv/lolodepuzlo

Can I make suggestions for games to be covered?

Sure!

Are there limits to platforms of games that will be covered?

If I can get footage, it can be covered.

Archive

Pre-Ranking
Radiant Silvergun
Section-Z (NES)

Ranking of Shmups
Loop 1
(Gradius, Viewpoint, Bio-Metal, Trick Trap 1771, Kiki Kai Kai, Star Force, Sorcer Striker)
Trip to the Namco Museum
(Galaxian, Galaga, Bosconian, Xevious, Gaplus, Ordyne, Dragon Spirit, Baraduke)
Loop 2
(R-Type, 1942, Trouble Shooter, Dragon Breed, Star Soldier, Life Force (US), UN Squadron)
Loop 3
(Laser Blast, Moon Cresta, Summer Carnival 92 Recca, Kingdom Grandprix, Cloud Master, Twinbee, Starship Hector, Axelay)
M S X S P E C I A L
(Zanac, Guardic, Knightmare, King’s Knight, Gall Force: Defenders of Chaos, Aleste, Parodius, Gradius 2)

1 Like

Here is Episode 2!

Trip to the Namco Museum
(Galaxian, Galaga, Bosconian, Xevious, Gaplus, Ordyne, Dragon Spirit, Baraduke)

1 Like

Here is Episode 3!

Loop 2
(R-Type, 1942, Trouble Shooter, Dragon Breed, Star Soldier, Life Force (US), UN Squadron)

1 Like

Here is Episode 4!

Loop 3
(Laser Blast, Moon Cresta, Summer Carnival 92 Recca, Kingdom Grandprix, Cloud Master, Twinbee, Starship Hector, Axelay)

1 Like

Here is Episode 5!

M S X S P E C I A L
(Zanac, Guardic, Knightmare, King’s Knight, Gall Force: Defenders of Chaos, Aleste, Parodius, Gradius 2)