The Golden State: Let's Play Crusader Kings 2

Chapter 13 - End of a Legend

February sees Emperor Thao I rewarded for his long, hard work in the Ivy League: the last Dean has died and the members of the League lift him up to their highest office. He is humbled by their faith in him.

When Emperor Thao I took the throne from Emperor Reuben II, he threw out several of old laws that the kings of California disagreed with, one of which was Regulated Inheritance; sensing a chance to bring back the old law, but this time written in his favor, he brings it to his council for a vote.

He also lets it be known that the Imperial Court is a haven for art and philosophy, drawing in numerous learned men to Sacramento.

In fact, Sacramento is becoming a major draw to the people of California, as more and more peasants seeking a better life arrive by the day; thankfully, the emperor’s road project finishes just in time to accommodate the mass of carts and horses that the city suddenly must contend with.

The Right of Regulation of Realm Inheritance is shot down by his council, who are not eager to see the emperor given any more power.

Perhaps as an outlet for his frustration, Emperor Thao I declares war on the Kingdom of Baja with the goal of bringing the Prefecture of Ensenada under the empire’s direct control. His council is more than happy to rubber stamp the war, if it means they don’t have to deal with an angry emperor.

In October, with his council and all of California distracted by the war, the emperor proposes a law that will give him sole say over who is imprisoned, effectively cutting the Imperial Council out of the decision. The Cutting of Excess Bureaucracy Act, as it is known, phrases the change as one that will ultimately streamline the bureaucracy of the empire by freeing up the council to vote on more important issues. It passes with relative ease.

While in the long run, the Cutting of Excess Bureaucracy Act will give the emperor more power over the court, in the short term it requires the firing of bureaucrats that were originally assigned with bringing imprisonment request to the Imperial Council, ultimately hurting the Imperial Bureaucracy as a whole.

Emperor Thao I also continues to court artisans and scholars in the hopes of making himself known as a patron of higher learning; to this end, he creates a massive fund that any philosopher or scholar can have a piece of to fund their works, as long as they are willing to relocate to Sacramento and publish their works through the Imperial Library. It turns out to be a big hit and soon the Imperial Palace is full of great thinkers.

While Sacramento flourishes, the war in Baja continues. It goes as expected, as the child king of Baja is unable to offer much of a challenge.

A drought plagues Tahoe in 2707, causing unrest as the people struggle to grow food for themselves. It has been a good few years for Sacramento, so the emperor immediately orders the Imperial Guards to help with relief efforts for the people of Tahoe; food and water are shipped from the capital to the county, as Emperor Thao I popularity with the common man continues to grow.

Emperor Thao I’s latest work, The Great Bear, is not one of his best and many wonder if he has finally lost the fire that animated him for much of his early reign. The emperor proves these naysayers wrong by revising The Great Bear until it shines with insight.

Continuing his efforts to court great thinkers, Emperor Thao I hosts a massive debate, open to anyone who feels they can hold their own. It promises to be an exciting, enlightening event.

The emperor’s sister Kyra is caught stealing from the relief supplies that are being shipped to Tahoe. Emperor Thao I fires her and bars her from holding any office for the rest of her life.

The grand debate kicks off in August of 2707; almost immediately things get heated, as a Mormon scholar from Deseret attempts to hold an impromptu sermon as to why Cetic philosophy will never fully answer the big questions. The emperor shouts him down and kicks him out of the debate hall.

Emperor Thao I also begins writing his greatest work: his Master’s Thesis. While he’s not sure of its topic just yet, he’s certain that it’ll eclipse all his previous teachings, for those who can decipher its hidden meanings.

The debate in Sacramento comes to an end, with a young Mormon judge being named the victor. Though no Cetic scholar managed to shine during the debates, the emperor still manages to bask in the reflected glory of hosting such a prestigious and open event. Emperor Thao I even manages to learn a little something from the whole event.

The followers of Consumerism, having been forced to leave their homeland of Ohio, have made their way to the West Coast and are determined to settle in the Kingdom of Jefferson. King Stanford III, a devout Cetic ruler and a proponent of the emperor’s “two souls” theory of rulership, refuses to allow them entry into his lands. Hopefully, they zealots will move on without conflict.

Finally, at the end of 2707 Emperor Thao I decides on the topic of his Master Thesis will be on Cosmogony, or the union of the stars, planets, and the sun to predict the future.

2708 starts off well, Emperor Thao I’s tax reforms continue to pay dividends. The emperor turns the revenues into more bureaucratic reforms. The reforms are the most sweeping of his reign, calling for an accounting of not just Sacramento’s bureaucracy, but of the whole realm’s, from Jefferson to Baja.

The Ensenada War ends with an Imperial victory and the recognition of the emperor’s right to directly rule over the area. Slowly, but surely, more and more of California falls under the sway of Emperor Thao I.

The Viceroy’s war to claim the Sun Coast is defeated following the death of the Viceroy against a HCC army; the dream of a Muslim Florida dies with him.

The emperor’s Master Thesis is completed in August; titled On Ekpyrotic Cosmogony, it is completely inaccessible to most followers of Ceticism. Some of the faith’s high ranking teachers and gurus quietly claim that it is a heretical work and not worthy of a true Cetic emperor. As far as Emperor Thao I is concerned, they all simply lack the ability to understand its deeper meanings.

The expensive reforms prove to be a complete failure, as local bureaucrats are not eager to give up local autonomy to the Imperial Bureaucracy.

Dire news arrives from the August Empire: the Gaúchos have seized the Red Throne for themselves. It is unclear what the future holds for Brasilia under the horselords of the south.

On November 16th, 2708 Emperor Thao I, sometimes known as “the Shadow,” “the Glorious,” and “the Reformer” passes away in his sleep, leaving his throne to his son, Prince Pollock. Primarily known as the first Armour emperor, he left behind a web of intrigues, a list of bureaucratic reforms, and a library full of Cetic holy texts. Long a strong, central figure in Imperial politics, it remains to be seen if his son will be able to continue in his foot steps, or if he will be a return to the later Yudkow emperors.

4 Likes

Chapter 14 - The Lecher

Emperor Pollock I is a… complex man; while it cannot be denied that he is a bureaucrat and administer of great skill, instead of focusing on managing his realm, he instead is content to party, drink, and flirt without regard for what such actions have for his public image.

Almost immediately, the empire begins to suffer under his neglect, as he would rather spend his time in the taverns of Sacramento than oversee the Imperial bureaucracy. The lords of California are more than happy to take advantage of his benign neglect and begin to assert more control over their own lands, greatly weakening Imperial authority.

Without a doubt, Emperor Pollock I is emperor in name only; the Imperial Council and the Imperial Bureaucracy fight for dominance within the court, each trying to take advantage of the puppet emperor. In the end, the bureaucrats win out over the long defanged court; while they make sure that the emperor has enough gold for his leisure activities, the bulk of the treasury is focused on the further expansion of the bureaucracy, at the expense of Imperial authority.

With a little prodding, Emperor Pollock I is convinced to see to his Imperial duties; he begins writing a new book, primarily focusing on the art of seduction. Absolutely no one wants him to finish it.

When he’s not drunk and actually focused on a task, Emperor Pollock I can be quite charming; he somehow manages to convince Eleanor Yudkow, the daughter of the late Emperor Reuben II, to renounce her claims on the Imperial Throne, before trying to seduce her.

Scandal rocks the Imperial Court in January of 2709: High Chief Nolan II of Death Valley brings credible proof that Emperor Pollock I and his sister, Princess Alice, are in an incestuous relationship, which has resulted in a child. Emperor Pollock I simply walks out of the throne room, instead of responding to the high chief’s claims.

Not too long after, Emperor Pollock I releases a new work; titled The Sweetest Fruit, it makes the bold claim that, actually, incest is good and completely natural. It is certainly one of the more… inspired Imperial texts.

Terrible news arrives from the north: Jefferson, the bulwark against the barbarians of the north, has been bested by the Consumerists, who have now claimed the lands of Idaho, under High Chairman Adam Profit-Margin. The Consumerist kingdom is protected by the deadly Golden Archers, a group of masked archers, covered from head to toe in patchwork golden armor.

The expensive bureaucratic expansion is done; the Imperial council has been filled with bureaucrat aligned aristocrats, as has every level of government.

July brings grim news: Emperor Pollock I’s eldest son, Thao, dies of some unknown illness. The new Imperial heir is Nicholas, a quiet young boy who was never expected to take the throne. The emperor loses himself in the arms of one of his many mistresses, resulting in yet another Imperial bastard.

Emperor Pollock I also manages to make time for his wife, who becomes pregnant in December, marking the emperor’s fourth legitimate child; the emperor’s bastards still out number his legitimate children by a factor of two.

Brasilia is still not a power to be taken lightly, it seems; the Gaúcho emperor brutally puts down a revolt against him by one of his many tributaries. The offender is hung, quartered, and has his head stuck on a pike as an object lesson to any other would be rebels.

While he doesn’t have time govern the Empire, Emperor Pollock I somehow makes time to antagonize his vassals into hating him. One must wonder where how he manages, between his whoring and drinking.

The emperor also off loads most of his actual religious duties on some of his drinking friends; during his reign, most of the Imperial texts published are actually written by someone other than the emperor. The biggest sign that they were not penned by Emperor Pollock I is that they actually have some religious and academic value.

Emperor Pollock I spends most of 2710 in a drunken stupor, only coming out of it long enough to acknowledge his latest bastard, a boy named Todd.

In April of 2711, the Imperial bureaucracy manages to get the emperor to sign off on a holy war to retake Nevada from the Consumerists; pressure from the aristocracy and the peasants over the loss of half of Jefferson to a group of heretics threatens to topple the bureaucracy in a palace coup, and the hope is the holy war will give the two groups something new to focus on, as well as renew faith in the emperor.

Instead of focusing on the Nevadan Reclamation, Emperor Pollock I gets really into hosting feast after feast after feast. The end result is that he throws out most of his old clothing and demands the bureaucrats buy him a new wardrobe that fits, as well as a new Imperial work, titled Food for Thought. It is not exactly a mentally stimulating book.

The Nevadan Reclamation starts off well, with the Imperial Army beating the Consumerists at Nevada City; they even manage to capture one of the Golden Archer’s captains.

Things take a turn in 2712 at the Battle of Grass Valley, where the Imperial Army faces off against the main Consumerists army, lead by High Chairman Adam himself. For the first time in decades, the Imperial Army is forced to retreat.

The emperor is inspired by the Imperial defeat at Grass Valley, and pens the work known as The Dishonor of Retreat; little more than a denunciation of the generals who had lost Grass Valley, it is a detailed report of what the emperor would’ve done, had be been consulted. A great number of Imperial generals threaten to leave their posts, and the Imperial bureaucracy taps into the treasury to bribe them into compliance.

Meanwhile, in the Mid-East, the Norse of the Twin Cities, led by Jarl Ollrod, have come together to codify their faith, in an effort to compete with the Christian kingdoms of Iowa and Chicagoland. Along with this new hierarchy comes the creation of the Fylkir’s Hundred, a band of elite warriors tasked with defending the reformed Norse faith from Minnesota to Ohio.

The Imperial Army suffers a second defeat, this time at Placerville. Disheartened by the emperor’s poor leadership, many Imperials simply desert rather than fight for the Lecher Emperor.

With the rise of heathen powers to the east, as well at home, and a weak, lecherous emperor on the throne, it seems as if California’s star is once again in decent. The dream of a unified, strong California seems more and more distant every day.

4 Likes

No update today because I was working on this (minor game spoilers, maybe?):

I got the Long After the End mod working for EU4; its one of the worst put together mods I’ve ever seen, so I spent most of the day wrangling it to make do what its supposed to. But it was worth it!

2 Likes

Looking forward to it.

1 Like

I hope that Adam Profit-Margin does well with whatever he’s doing out there. He deserves to with a cool name like that.

2 Likes

Chapter 15 - A Bad End

In May, strange ships appear just outside of Goldengate, flying an unknown flag. The city’s bureaucrats grant the ship’s captain an audience, where he explains that they are simple traders from the mythical island kingdom of Hawaii, looking to establish new trade routes with their neighbors across the Pacific. The bureaucrats grant them a trading license, with the understanding that they will be forced to pay higher tariffs than local traders.

The Imperial bureaucracy also continues to be extremely good at collecting taxes for the crown, which is greatly appreciated during these dire times.

This tax money, as well as the money coming in from the new foreign trade, is used to hire several mercenary bands to help reinforce the Imperial Army. This turns out to be an excellent idea, as with fresh troops the Imperial Army is able to beat the Consumerists at the Battle of Fernley. Urged on by this victory, the Imperial Army manages to take Susanville, finally bringing the war to the Consumerists.

Even better news arrives in November: High Chairman Adam is dead! He died of an infected wound, following the Battle of Fernley, leaving his underage son to rule over the Consumerists. Almost immediately, the heathens splinter, as High Chairman Mellon claims that he is the true successor of the Prophet Adam, not the prophet’s son. He takes with him nearly half of the established Consumerist kingdom, greatly decreasing their ability to fight.

Emperor Pollock I uses the High Chairman’s death to boost his profile, proclaiming that it was only with his blessing that the Imperial Army was able to injure the man during the Battle of Fernley. A tired, desperate populace, eager for any sign that the emperor might live up to his father, accept this claim without much argument.

The Nevadan Reclamation is still a long way from being over, though with the Consumerists divided, it is mostly mop up work for the Imperial Army.

The Nevadan Reclamation ends in February of 2713 with a victory for the empire. The Prefecture of Nevada is given to Count Frank of Carson, a distant relative of High Chief Nolan II; the hope is that it will help mend fences with the Death Valley.

In the far north of Canada, the King of the Cree begins to transition from the nomadic life of his ancestors to a more sedentary one. If he manages to convince the other Cree lords to emulate him, a truly fearsome empire will be born.

The old royal armory in Tuolumne floods, threatening to destroy some family relics. The bureaucracy dutifully ensures that nothing is permanently damaged.

With some coaxing from the Imperial bureaucrats, Emperor Pollock I arranges for a feast to introduce his heir, Prince Nicholas, to the lords of California.

The Cree experiment as a settled tribe utterly fails, causing the budding empire to shatter into a million different domains, all of them competing to reclaim the title of the King of All Cree.

The day of Prince Nicholas’ introduction to the realm comes; initially, his quiet nature causes some friction between him and his future vassals, but with a little prodding, he finally comes out of his shell and manages to make a good impression on the assembled lords.

Teacher Channing even offers to further educate the prince in the intricacies of Cetic thought; eager to get back to drinking, the emperor agrees.

The Imperial bureaucracy continues to govern while the emperor spends his days doing literally anything else; they continue to expand their powers at the cost of Imperial authority.

In March of 2715, King Walter of Gran Francisco dies, leaving the throne to his grandson, Prince Lloyd; the new king is barely a year old. Sensing a chance to further expand their holdings, the Imperial aristocracy pressures the emperor into declaring war on the ailing kingdom. Eager for the glory of a cheap, easy war, the emperor bucks the directives of his bureaucrats and declares war with the goal of claiming the prefecture of Salinas.

As a consequence of his resistance to the bureaucracy, people begin to whisper that maybe, just maybe, the emperor is done being a puppet of the bureaucrats.

In May, the Imperial Army, headed by Emperor Pollock I, engages with the Franciscan army at San Benito; the emperor immediately gets hurt and loses one of his legs in the resulting scuffle. The Imperial Army still manages to beat the minuscule Franciscan force.

Emperor Pollock I, called “the Lecher” and “the Ill-Emperor” succumbs to his injuries on May 26th, 2715. A man of no great ambition beyond feasting, drinking, and bedding any woman that would have him, the Empire is better for his death. Under him, the Prefecture of Nevada was reclaimed from the Consumerists and the Imperial bureaucracy grew by leaps and bounds.

His son, now Emperor Nicholas I, is but a boy of 13 and is untested in the realm of Imperial politics. It remains to be seen if he will join his father as a figurehead emperor, or if he will blaze his own path in the image of his grandfather, Emperor Thao I.

4 Likes

At least the Regency will only be a few years.

Pollock single-handedly tanked both my administrative bureaucracy score AND Imperial authority to unheard of levels, which I have to spend literal decades fixing. I fucking hate him.

1 Like

Easy come easy go for the mandate of heaven, I guess.

1 Like

Please, its the Prime Mandate and also claiming it is super hard, for some reason?

1 Like

Given who created it, how much of the religion of Cetism is devoted to AI development?

Sadly zero percent.

Chapter 16 - A Repayment of Debts

Being too young to rule, Emperor Nicholas I requires a regent; following a flurry of assassinations, bribes, and threats, the Imperial Court manages to oust the bureaucracy from its control over the throne. Prefect Brittany of the North Valley is appointed Imperial Regent and given the task of managing California in the young emperor’s name, as well as seeing to his education.

With most of the Imperial bureaucracy’s leaders either dead or on the run, the empire’s ability to administer its lands takes a drastic hit, not seen since the days of the Yudkow Emperors. The aristocracy of the empire take advantage of this weakness to withhold taxes and troops.

It quickly becomes apparent to Emperor Nicholas that he is expected to be seen and not heard; he is to be nothing more than a figurehead, much like his late father.

Meanwhile, the War for Salinas continues; there is no threat of loss to the greatly diminished Gran Francisco, so it is mostly just routine mop up work.

Emperor Nicholas I rebels against his regent in small ways; in July he takes it upon himself to distribute grain to the people of Sacramento, returning to a tradition established by his grandfather. The people are overjoyed with this return to the old ways, and slowly, but surely, the emperor begins building support with the people. While it will take a lot of work, over many years, it may one day become possible for Emperor Nicholas I to once again control his own fate.

In September, only months after the start of the War of Salinas, peace is declared and Gran Francisco formally recognizes Imperial rule of the prefecture. But there’s a slight wrinkle: the land is currently under the rule of the Haida raider known as Forrest; apparently the king gave him ownership of the land in exchange for his fealty and oath to protect the coast from his northern countrymen.

Thankfully, Count Forrest is a follower of the traditional Haida faith Xhúuyee K’iigaang and is thus subject to the Right of Revocation as established by Emperor Thao the Glorious. Count Forrest refuses to give his lands up without a fight, and the ensuing war is short and sweet.

In November, Emperor Nicholas I receives credible proof that his regent, Prefect Brittany, is embezzling from the Imperial treasury; of course, since he would require his regent’s approval to bring charges against his regent, he instead must wait to take action.

Count Forrest surrenders to the Empire less than a month after the start of his war; perhaps he was hoping his Haida countrymen would flock to his banner, but no such support materialized. He is stripped of his titles, which then immediately fall into a sort of bureaucratic black hole; the Imperial Court cannot decide who should receive the lands and associated titles, so they are left ungoverned.

The growing Emperor experiences his first love, a young boy named Pheng who works in the Imperial stable. Their affair is brief but intense, leaving a lasting mark on the emperor.

Prefect Brittany continues to steal from the Imperial treasury and Emperor Nicholas I continues to be unable to stop him; his contempt for the Imperial Court grows by the day.

On July 28, 2717 a massive earthquake rocks San Benito, one of the counties in the prefecture of Salinas; due to its status as a non-governed county, it cannot officially receive aid from the Imperial government. Emperor Nicholas I’s heart goes out to the people of San Benito and he curses the Imperial Court for tying his hands while his people suffer.

Emperor Nicholas I reaches his majority on September 20th, 2717 and his regency finally ends; he’s become a financial genius, with a real flair for realm management. His shy exterior hides a stubborn, uncompromising man who has a burning hatred for Imperial politicking.

The emperor also prepares to take the Imperial Examination, to prove that he is able to administer California without the help of the Imperial Council. He decides to focus on the Language Arts and begins practicing his grammars; he throws himself into the task, barely taking time to eat or sleep.

Not one to do things by halves, Emperor Nicholas I also begins writing a book focusing on how to run a realm using Cetic teachings.

Even without having completed his exams, its rapidly becoming clear to the Imperial Court that Emperor Nicholas I is no mere figurehead, but a return to the strong emperors of old.

Examination Day arrives and Emperor Nicholas I is the first to arrive at the Examination Center; he is also one of the first to finish. Now comes the long wait for the test results.

The wait is worth it, though, as Emperor Nicholas I receives a perfect score on all his exams and is awarded the most coveted rank: the Bald Eagle. This rank, only received by Elton the Lawgiver, is a sure sign that Emperor Nicholas I has the Prime Mandate of Rulership.

In celebration of his achievement, Emperor Nicholas I declares a grand tournament to be hosted in Sacramento; a display of fighting prowess, the tournament promises to bring the best warriors in California to the Imperial capital.

The emperor also brings back the sweeping bureaucratic reforms of Emperor Thao the Glorious; he pours a significant amount of the Imperial treasury into these reforms, which target rebuilding the bureaucracy that was devastated by his regent and the Imperial Council.

The grand tournament begins in January of 2718, ringing in the new year with fights between California’s greatest warriors.

2718 also sees the emperor start work on his first Cetic holy book, which consumes most of his focus; from what little is shown to the teachers and gurus of the Imperial Court, it already looks to be better than anything his father, Emperor Pollock the Lecher, ever managed to write.

One of the few remaining Imamite aristocrats, a man by the name of Wayne, wins the tournament, bringing glory to his house and the Imamites of Socal. The surprising victory leaves Sacramento buzzing with rumors of a resurrection of the Imamite heresy, though nothing comes of it.

Under his gentle care, the Imperial bureaucracy slowly returns to its pre-regency levels; Emperor Nicholas I is quickly making himself an ally of the bureaucrats.

Strange news arrives from Mexico; a group of masked holy warriors have declared themselves the enemy of those who would dare oppose the Sagrado Corazon Reconquista. For now, they face off solely against the Mesoamerican faiths, but should they be successful, they may one day be a problem for California.

Unlike his grandfather, Emperor Nicholas I has no interest in joining the very slightly heretical Ivy League; instead he opts to join the Emperor’s Disciples, a society dedicated to studying Imperial teachings to fully derive their sacred insights. The Disciples happily welcome him into the fold, as he is the first Emperor to show any interest in them for several decades.

With his position now secure and with the support of the bureaucracy, Emperor Nicholas I finally makes his move against Prefect Brittany; the traitor is imprisoned and stripped of his titles, which are then distributed to a more suitable candidate.

And just like that, Emperor Nicholas I proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he is no one’s puppet and that all debts will be repaid with interest. While nowhere near as fierce as Emperor Thao the Glorious, Emperor Nicholas I’s deceptively quietness hides the same keen mind that was able to raise House Armour up to the Imperial Throne. The Years of the Poor Emperors has come to an end.

4 Likes

Chapter 17 - The Baja Reclamation

Emperor Nicholas I continues to work on new Cetic teachings; he frequently engages with his vassals in spirited philosophical and religious debates, the results of which greatly inspire his writing. The Imperial Court once again starts to resemble the gathering of great minds it was under his grandfather.

In October, the Prefecture of North Jefferson rebels against King Stanford III, as the once great defender of Ceticism continues to dwindle. Worried that the weakened kingdom is unable to protect itself, Emperor Nicholas I asks for the kingdom to give the Prefecture of Redwoods to the Imperial Throne, so that the people of the coast can be effectively protected from the northern raiders. King Stanford III declines and so the emperor declares war for the Redwoods.

In March, Fort Bragg, one of Jefferson’s greatest military structures, falls to the Imperial Army; a weakened and malnourished Jeffersonian garrison welcomes the emperor and his army with open arms. Emperor Nicholas I listens to their stories of frequent Haida raids from the north and little to no support from the king. The emperor is appalled that any Californian lord would allow this to happen under his watch.

The Norse of the Mid-East declare a Great Holy War for the kingdom of Superior, hoping to cement their control over the region; interestingly, the target is not a Christian dominated area, but one controlled by Norse that refuse to follow the reformed religion.

More and more, it becomes apparent to the emperor that the Redwoods War is one of protection; every garrison the Imperial Army encounters is hailed with cheers and open arms. The Haida menace has not been kind to the prefecture and the sight of the Imperial standard brings hope to the people.

Distressing new from the south: the Kingdom of Baja has fallen to a coalition of Atomicists and its child-king killed by the heathens. With its royal line extinguished, the crown of Baja falls to the emperor; Emperor Nicholas I is crowned King Nicholas I of Baja in a rather morose and somber ceremony in Sacramento. During the same ceremony, Emperor Nicholas I declares an end to Salinas’ bureaucratic hell; the prefecture is given to Guru Hudson, who the emperor hopes will turn the prefecture into a model of the Cetic lifestyle.

The first Jeffersonian army is encountered by the Imperials at Eureka; a great many of the Jeffersonian force simply deserts rather than fight the Imperials; the resulting Battle of Eureka is a battle in name only.

The Ursuline Christians decide to take advantage of the Norse infighting and a Crusade for the kingdom of Aurora is declared against the same target as the Norse Great Holy War.

On January 1st, 2720 King Stanford III presents himself to the emperor at Sacramento; he profusely apologizes for his arrogance in thinking he knew better than the emperor what was best for the people of the Redwoods. Emperor Nicholas I accepts his peace offering, and the Redwoods becomes part of the Empire of California once again.

Emperor Nicholas I also begins heavily investing in new guard towers along important Imperial trade roads to help stop Haida raiders and other nefarious characters; he patterns the project off Emperor Thao the Glorious’ work on Tahoe’s road network.

Unfortunately, the plan will take years to go into full effect and does nothing to stop the Haida raids currently happening along the coast.

In August, word reaches the Imperial Court that Prince Blake, the son of King Stanford III, is gathering supporters with the goal of claiming the Imperial Throne for himself. Emperor Nicholas I takes a wait and see approach, despite his advisors’ best efforts; to him, if the prince can take the throne, then it is a clear signal that House Armour has lost the Prime Mandate.

The Haida, long used to lucrative raids on the Redwoods and Gran Francisco, suddenly start encountering the Imperial Army. As it turns out, they do not like it.

Despite every indication that the people of the coast are much better protected from the Haida than ever before, the emperor still endlessly frets and worries for his people. Hoping to find some inner peace, he enters seclusion to mediate on the truths of Ceticism.

While the emperor is in seclusion, the Consumerists of Nevada rise up, with the hope that they shall reclaim the land for the High Chairman.

The emperor, meanwhile, struggles with his lust and tries his best to defeat that particular demon; eventually he breaks and tries to find someone to lay with. Unfortunately, his normal lovers are either too busy or uninterested, and he is forced to return to his chamber and return to seclusion; he has wasted a significant portion of his time and has nothing to show for it.

At Davis Creek, the Consumerist rebels are swiftly crushed by the Imperial Army; their leaders are captured and the revolt ends before it even had a chance to begin.

The emperor spends part of his seclusion working on his first great teaching, which he throws himself into. The intense work provides insights that help him achieve new insights during his daily meditations.

The emperor finally leaves his seclusion in April of 2722, with greater understanding of the Imperial teachings and a deeper appreciation for the power of fasting and meditation. His brothers in the Disciples are deeply impressed by his dedication and allow him to advance within the society.

That same month, the emperor makes it known that the state of Baja can no longer be tolerated; the Cetic faithful suffer under the harsh rule of the followers of the Atom, while the empire has the ability to protect them. The Baja Reclamation begins with war to take back Loreto from the Kingdom of Sorona.

News from Brasilia claims that the unrest caused by the Gaúcho emperor’s ascension to the throne has come to an end and that things have returned to normal.

The Baja Reclamation goes off with out a hitch, as the Imperial Army beats the Atomicists at the Battle of Loreto, before swiftly taking the city.

So, of course, Prince Blake decides that this is the perfect chance to attack.

Through strategic use of bribes and favors, the prince’s army was able to make it to the outskirts of Sacramento before being stopped by the Imperial Guard. He quickly drives them off and begins to lay siege to the surrounding countryside.

The Imperial Army hurries back from Baja to Sacramento and, in February 2723, manages to break the siege of Sacramento and drive off the prince’s army at Folosom. They pursue the rebels to Nevada City, where they hope escape to Reno and take advantage of the fact Prince Blake is the son of King Stanford III; the Imperials give them no quarter and a humiliated Prince Blake is forced to surrender.

While the Imperial Army was away protecting the capital, the Atomicists have overrun Imperial Baja, slaughtering countless Cetic peasants in the process.

It isn’t until February of 2724 that the Imperial Army finally arrives in Baja; they immediately engage the biggest Atomicist army at Puertecitos. During the battle, the enemy general, Sam de Rio Bravos, is cornered by a young noble named Rufus and slain. For his bravery and skill, Rufus is given a place in the Imperial Court.

Peace is made not long after and the King of Sorona gives up his claims on Loreto. Emperor Nicholas I hosts a massive festival in Sacramento, partly to celebrate his victory of the the Atomicist and partly to celebrate the fact that the Prime Mandate is still with House Armour.

During the festival, Emperor Nicholas I announces that the Baja Reclamation is not yet over; despite the protests of his generals and the general war weariness of the populace, the emperor refuses to stop until all of Baja is free from the Atomicists. The feeling in the streets of Sacramento is that the war in the south will never truly end and for the first time many openly wonder if Emperor Nicholas I’s brilliant rulership was simply a fluke.

5 Likes

Chapter 18 - The Blossom Age

The Library of Tahoe, an auxiliary library primarily used for storing minor religious texts and other reference works, is flooded. Despite its minor importance within the Imperial library system, Emperor Nicholas I ensures the flood damage is repaired and the library greatly expanded.

The emperor is married to Marie Comstock in August; as the daughter of the current high chief of the Death Valley, the marriage cements the small kingdom’s place within the empire. In celebration of his nuptials, Emperor Nicholas I distributes grain to the people of Sacramento, winning him acclaim with the people and reinforcing his authority.

In October, the Imperial Army wins a siege at Comondú against a small Atomicist garrison. While touring the castle, a soldier informs the emperor that a baby boy has been discovered, with no sign of his parents; it seems likely that the boy is the son of some minor Atomicist noble family, who either died during the siege or abandoned him. Emperor Nicholas I, believing that the sins of the father should not reflect upon the son, adopts the boy as his own and names him Thao. As the emperor’s first son, the baby is also his heir.

Almost immediately, young Thao grows sick; fearing that he has been exposed to the mysterious radiation that the Atomicists are so fond of, he rushes the boy to Sacramento, where his court physician can make sure the boy is well.

The Disciples approach the emperor about removing Emperor Thao the Glorious’ On Ekpyrotic Cosmogony from the Imperial canon; Emperor Nicholas I refuses, claiming that just because they are not able to understand it does not make it heretical.

Empress Marie becomes pregnant in October of 2725; rumors in court imply that the child is not the emperor’s, who is much more fond of men than women. For his part, the emperor refuses to investigate into the situation.

The emperor also takes ill in October; it would seem that his frequent fasting and overwork have finally caught up with him. His court physician, Lama Lyman, orders him to take bed rest, while also hanging upside down.

Despite this treatment, the emperor’s condition continues to worsen.

While the emperor grows sicker and sicker, the Baja Reclamation continues; its rapidly becoming apparent that the Queen of Sierra Madre has no interest in holding the peninsula.

Lama Lyman comes to Emperor Nicholas I with a revolutionary cure for his food poisoning; according to his books, the hand of a dead thief will cure any illness. The emperor is desperate enough to try anything, so he gives his court physician leave to visit Sacramento’s pauper’s cemetery to find such a hand. The lama’s treatment leaves Emperor Nicholas I feeling cured. By February of 2726, Lama Lyman confirms that all trace of the emperor’s illness is gone from his body.

A massive landslide in Tuolumne destroys a significant portion of the city, including Thao Field; while there is a focus on rebuilding, Emperor Nicholas I orders his men to focus on saving as many lives as they can from the debris.

In November, Emperor Nicholas I is made Arahnat of the Disciples; this is the first time since Elton the Lawgiver that a sitting emperor has been made head of the society. It is truly a day to remember.

To ring in the new year, peace is made between California and Sierra Madre; Baja Sur is turned over to the empire and the queen quits all claims she had on the land. The Baja Reclamation is finally over.

With the Kingdom of Baja finally back under Cetic control, Emperor Nicholas I’s authority over his court soars to new heights. It is no longer a question of if Jefferson will be rejoined with the empire, but when.

2727 is also the year the Great Imperial Trade Reform begins; Emperor Nicholas I demands an accounting of all major trade posts within the empire, so that he may see which stations require repair and maintenance. Unsurprisingly, under Emperor Pollock the Lecher, most trade posts have fallen into disrepair. The expense is astronomical, but the results will double the empire’s income from trade once completed.

In January 2728, Emperor Nicholas I finds his grandfather’s plans for having the empire adopt regulated inheritance; copying it almost exactly, the emperor introduces the Regulated Inheritance Law to his council. Unlike Emperor Thao the Glorious, who failed to gain enough support for the law, Emperor Nicholas I is able to sway his council into approving it.

Feeling confident following the success of the Regulated Inheritance Law, Emperor Nicholas I, who’s dislike of the Imperial Council is well known, also floats the Imperial Prerogative, a law that would remove the council’s right to vote on wars, instead giving the right solely to the emperor. Surprisingly, his council is more than happy to forfeit their power in exchange for nothing.

Of course, such rapid changes results in the Imperial bureaucracy struggling to keep up; California’s bureaucratic efficiency takes a major hit.

Little Thao expresses interest in reading the Imperial writings; an overjoyed emperor is only too happy to read the greatest Cetic works to his son before bed. As it turns out, the prince only really wanted to spend time with his father and has no interest in Cetic philosophy or thought. Hopefully, with time, this will change.

Emperor Nicholas I also sends a legion of gurus and bureaucrats to the county of Orange with the goal of finally stamping out the Imamite heresy with in the province. While it does rile up the local populace, the county finally becomes majority Cetic.

Hoping to repair some of the bureaucracy destroyed by his reforms, Emperor Nicholas I opens the Imperial treasury to the Imperial bureaucracy with only a single mandate: do whatever must be done to bring the bureaucracy up to his high standards.

The reforms bear fruit, as in 2729 much of the problems with the bureaucracy are ironed out and things finally start to run smoothly again.

The Kingdom of Gran Francisco, once the greatest kingdom within the empire, has been reduced to ruling over a single province on the East Bay. The current king, Lloyd the Unready, refuses to join with the empire, instead content to rule over a single city. Emperor Nicholas I declares war on King Lloyd in an effort to force him into the empire.

The resulting war is short, with only a single battle at Oakland before King Lloyd’s honor is satisfied and he bends the knee to Emperor Nicholas I. The king is allowed to keep his title and his lands, but not much else.

Emperor Nicholas I’s greatest work is complete; titled The Gardens of Bahram, it gives practical advice for running one’s life following Cetic principles. It is said that reading it is like having a door open in one’s mind and that it radically changes how the world is viewed.

In 2730, California is experiencing a Golden Age under Emperor Nicholas I; culture, art, philosophy, science, and theology flourish under him, while the Imperial bureaucracy functions better than it ever did under Emperor Thao the Glorious. What’s more, California is more unified than ever and it seems like a bright, prosperous future lays before the Golden State. Truly, it is a great time to be alive.

3 Likes

Chapter 19 - Bleeding Jefferson

In June, Prince Blake decides to try his luck again, this time deciding to take the throne from his father.

County Blythe, the final stronghold of the Imamite heresy, is targeted by the emperor for conversion; he uses the same strategy as he did with Orange, sending a mix of bureaucrats and gurus. While the majority of peasants in the province relent and openly follow the Cetic faith, a few zealots refuse and actively begin plotting against the empire.

A landslide rocks the Imperial capital; thankfully, most of the Imperial Court is safe. The same cannot be said for parts of Sacramento, which now require repairs.

The great thinkers of the Imperial Court often wonder about Old World and theorize about the many wondrous machines the Americans had at their disposal. Thankfully, Emperor Nicholas I still has Emperor Thao the Glorious’ firearm, which he proudly shows off to the court, sparking a new debate about the Old World adage that “happiness is a warm firearm.”

In 2731 Emperor Nicholas I publishes a revised edition of On Ekpyrotic Cosmogony, hoping to make it more accessible to the people. While the work is still largely unapproachable to many people, his efforts are still appreciated. He swears to himself that he will work harder to open up Cetic thought and philosophy to the common man.

Perhaps to make up for his less than stellar work on his latest teaching, Emperor Nicholas I distributes grain to the people of Sacramento, making him even more beloved by the people.

2732 is a bad year for the Kingdom of Jefferson, as it is beset by Haida invaders, Consumerist uprisings, and Prince Blake’s war for the throne. Sensing that the kingdom will not last much longer, Emperor Nicholas I demands that King Stanford III transfer the Shasta Cascades over to him, so that it will not fall to the Haida. King Stanford III refuses, and war is declared between the two.

Caught in three different wars, Jefferson is completely unable to stop the Imperial Army, as city after city falls to them.

While visiting the front, the emperor once again sees the sorry state the people of Jefferson are in, all because their king has lost the Prime Mandate. He promises himself that he will not rest, he will not stop, until all of California is under his direct rule; he owes it to the people to make sure they are able to live safe, happy lives.

The war drags on, as the King of Jefferson refuses to surrender to any side, hoping that they will eventually end up fighting each other. But, while Jefferson suffers, 2734 is an excellent year for California: plentiful rains results in a surplus of crops. This wealth is used by the Imperial government to improve California’s irrigation system, so that the next drought will not be nearly as dire.

In April, a coup results in King Stanford III’s ousting and Prince Blake made the new king; he immediately pays off the Haida and pledges loyalty to the emperor. With the old king gone, Emperor Nicholas I is forced to end his war, as the Prime Mandate is back with Jefferson.

Peace doesn’t last long for Jefferson, as in June the Prefect of North Jefferson rises up against the new king. Clearly, the Prime Mandate has fled from King Blake I; Emperor Nicholas I uses the chance to once again declare war for the Shasta Cascades.

The war goes much the same as the last one, as the ailing Jefferson has no hope of defending against the superior Imperial Army.

To Emperor Nicholas I, the whole war seems pointless, as even if he is able to win the war, it will take time to repair the prefecture, not to mention the fact that North Jefferson will remain out of Imperial hands for at least another decade. It is endlessly depressing.

Still, it is inevitable that the Imperial Army will win the war and, in November of 2735, King Blake is finally forced to admit defeat. The Shasta Cascade is now part of California once again.

The renovation and expansion of important Imperial trade posts continues, with this second wave focusing on expanding their bureaucratic offices.

Peace suits the empire, as trade flows through its major cities, the common folks have more than enough to eat, and culture flourishes thanks to Imperial support and grants. So, of course, in 2736 the Mormons declare the 3rd Great Expedition for Socal.

Unlike their previous Great Expeditions, the Mormons now face a united, strong California; of course, the Mormons have not been quiet since their last Expedition, and rumors claim that the Nauvoo Legion rides again…

3 Likes

I’m still catching up, but I can’t let this line go, it’s too perfect.

2 Likes

Chapter 20 - The Bear of the West

With the 3rd Great Expedition for Socal underway, Emperor Nicholas I uses the fear of the Mormons overrunning California to take direct control over the empire, finally defanging the Imperial Council. The worried council is only too happy to vote for the emperor’s Imperial Emergency Powers Act. As always, the resulting bureaucratic pruning leaves the realm’s bureaucracy somewhat lacking.

The first Mormon army is encountered at Mesquite, where they are soundly defeated by the Imperial Army. If this is the best the Mormons can offer, then they might as well have stayed in their Great Salt City.

The Mormons are pursued to Havasu Falls, where they are once again beaten with minimal casualties.

News reaches the Imperial Army that while they were busy chasing the main Mormon army around the Mojave, a group known as the “Nauvoo Legion” have managed to penetrate deep into Socal with a massive force. The Imperial Army quickly breaks camp at Las Vegas and hurries to meet the Legion. The two forces engage at Campo, where the Imperials win once again.

The Mormons retreat back into Deseret, though the Nauvoo Legion continues to send small raiding forces into the city of Imperial, hoping to catch the Californians by surprise. They do not.

The situation remains static, until 2738 when a large Mormon army manages to beat the small force left in Las Vegas as a guard. At the same time, another Mormon force under the Nauvoo Legion attacks Imperial, hoping to tie up the main Californian army so that they cannot link up with the Las Vegan garrison. The plan works, though at the cost of many Legionary lives.

Still, the plan ultimately means nothing; the Mormon war effort cannot support such tactics for long and in August of 2738 peace is made between the Mormon faithful and California. Once again, the Mormon president must admit defeat at the hands of the emperor.

Emperor Nicholas I decides to spend some of the Imperial treasury on improving Sacramento and the old royal capital of Tuolumne. He also improves San Joaquin’s roads, allowing for greater trade between the city and the rest of California.

Perhaps because many see him as only an Atomicist barbarian who has no right being the Imperial heir, prince Thao makes it his goal to outshine his adoptive father, no matter what.

Emperor Nicholas I continues to distribute grain to the citizens of the Imperial capital, giving a portion of the empire’s wealth back to its people.

The emperor also publishes his newest teaching; titled Wealth of Empires it claims that the real wealth of any nation is its citizenry and that rulers must strive to enrich the people and build a just and equitable society. It is a hit with the common man, less so with the aristocracy.

He puts words to action and begins the first of many reforms aimed at opening up the bureaucracy to everyone, as long as they can prove their competence through a series of exams. They are a success, as previously overlooked candidates are able to finally join the Imperial bureaucracy.

The Imperial Palace is overflowing with philosophers and scholars and Emperor Nicholas I makes it his life’s goal to make House Armour known for its patronage of great thinkers.

In 2740, Emperor Nicholas I revokes the crown of Jefferson from King Blake and instead transfers it to himself. Both the Prefect of North Jefferson and the once King of Jefferson agree to become the emperor’s vassals instead of fighting a war against the empire.

The Bear of California, long in hibernation, roars once again; the empire is united and at its helm Emperor Nicholas the Great. His authority is unquestioned, his power unmatched.

Meanwhile, the Catholics target Booneland for their next Crusade, hoping to break the Rust Cult once and for all.

At the start of 2741, the emperor takes ill; his condition rapidly deteriorates.

Initial treatment of the sickness is promising, as the emperor’s condition improves somewhat. It seems likely he will recover in due time.

He does not. On April 9th, the emperor dies, succumbing to his illness.

Emperor Nicholas I, better known as “the Great,” “the Hammer of the Mormons,” “the Golden Emperor,” “the Uniter,” and “the Awoken Bear,” leaves behind a radically different California; a depowered Imperial Council, a newly united California, and a strong bureaucracy are his legacy. It is hoped that the newly crowned Emperor Thao II will be able to live up to his father.

4 Likes

Oligarch Jimmy of Booneland is inexplicably hilarious.

1 Like

Chapter 21 - Greater California

Emperor Thao II is the adoptive son of Emperor Nicholas the Great; he’s an ambitious and diligent man, with a paranoid streak. Rumor in the court is that his small stature is due to early exposure to Radiation, the fickle god of the Atomicists.

To celebrate his coronation, Emperor Thao II distributes grain to the people of Sacramento, continuing the tradition of the Armour Emperors.

The emperor also follows in his father’s footsteps and joins the Disciples, further increasing their standing in the court.

He also prepares to take his exams; he drowns himself in preparations, as he must live up to the high standards of Emperor Nicholas the Great.

Exam day comes and the emperor is joined by hundreds of other hopefuls. He leaves the examination center confident in his ability; his confidence is well earned, as a few weeks later his results proclaim him worthy of the third rank, that of the Valley Quail.

The emperor’s first child is born in July of that year; she is named Doris and made the provisional heir, to be replaced with the emperor’s first son.

With the Imperial Council’s power on the decline, Emperor Thao II institutes the largest reform of Imperial bureaucracy ever seen: the Imperial Administrative Reform limits aristocratic power, while revamping the Imperial structure to provide more power to the bureaucrats, usually at the further cost of the aristocracy.

Most of 2741 passes in peace and prosperity, until September when news from the Mid-East reaches the Imperial Court; the zealous Catholics of the region have won their Crusade to reclaim Booneland for their faith. Slowly, the Mid-East is becoming the core of Christianity outside of the Holy Columbian Confederacy.

The throne is never safe from outsiders, as in 2742 news reaches the court that Lily Gable, a distant relative of the old Jeffersonian ruling family, intends to take back her family’s old titles and prove that House Armour no longer has the Prime Mandate. She’s supported by the nobles of the Gaian kingdom of Lincoln, who are not eager to see a strong California.

In defiance to the threats to his rulership, Emperor Thao II hosts a grand tournament that same year; the message is clear to anyone who attends: the power and wealth of California will endure. It is a great success, as the best fighters in all of California come to Sacramento to prove their worth; the resulting two months of celebrations increases the overall prosperity of the capital. A minor Death Valleyan noble is named the victory, bringing glory to his court and house.

The emperor also releases his first teaching. A Study of the Prime Mandate is an in depth look at just what the Prime Mandate is and how it has been lost in the past; since it has only been lost once, by the Yudkow Emperors, it ultimately concludes that it is beyond understanding by anyone who has not studied it for many years, such as the current sitting Emperor.

There is still some talk within the Disciples of removing On Ekpyrotic Cosmogony from the Imperial teachings; when the topic reaches Emperor Thao II, he refuses to even consider it.

By 2744, Lily Gable has managed to gather a large group of Gaian mercenaries and disaffected Californian nobles to her cause and her invasion to take back Jefferson is finally under way.

The rebel force splits itself in two armies, the larger of which invades via Lincoln; the smaller one hopes to make its way through the Great Basin Desert to strike at the an undefended Sacramento. Thankfully, Battleborn scouts from the Death Valley are able to keep the Imperial Army informed; in June of 2745 the two forces meet at Hawthorne, where the superior Imperial Army easily beats the smaller rebel army.

The Imperial Army then swings north towards the remaining rebel army; they meet on the field in October, where they drive the rebels out of the city of Weed. With both her armies in retreat, Lily is forced to admit defeat; she is brought back to Sacramento in chains. The Prefect of Redwoods, her husband, begs the emperor to release her; he does so, for a hefty amount of gold.

At the start of 2747, Empress Ntxhiav announces her second pregnancy; Emperor Thao II hopes that this time the child will be male, to ensure the continuation of House Armour. In September, the emperor’s prayers are answered, as young Thao is born. He is made heir immediately.

The irrigation project started by the last emperor continues, as revenues from 2748’s surplus taxes fund a massive grant for farmers who wish to improve their farms.

Some of the surplus is also given back to the people of Sacramento, the real wealth of the nation.

Emperor Thao II’s Imperial Administrative Reform finally comes to completion, as he now has full control over California. He’s finally come into his own as an emperor.

The expansion of trade offices along the Golden Road continues as well; as a stable and unified empire, the revenues from the Golden Road are the Imperial treasury’s main source of gold.

2750 arrives and the celebrations in Sacramento are bigger than ever, as the emperor gives a public speech to his people. In it, he declares a new age for California, one of expansion and growth; long ago, the Yudkow Emperors attempted, and failed, to claim the three Gaian kingdoms of Cascadia, Lincoln, and Idaho and allowed the dream of a Greater California to die. It was this action, Emperor Thao II claims, that caused their slow decline and loss of the Prime Mandate to House Armour. He refuses to make the same mistakes; he declares a holy war to reclaim the lost Cascadian lands and bring the light of California to their Gaian brothers and sisters. After years of peace, war has finally returned to California.

5 Likes