The Golden State: Let's Play Crusader Kings 2

For Thao I’s reign, it hovers around 80% to 90%, which is pretty good.

The way it works is that 0%-49%, you’re a figurehead emperor (with the accompanying trait), at 50%-74% you’re a normal emperor, and at 75%+ you’re a strong emperor. While there’s not much reason to have anything beyond 75% imperial authority, mostly to weather the odd malus, when your emperor dies, your score drops by 20% or worse if you’re a kid, have low stewardship and low learning, or if you have slow or inbred, so having it at 100% will let you survive a couple bad rulers, since you can pretty reliably raise it up a couple points in with grain distribution and writing new teachings. The fun comes if you appoint a Governatus or your regent or council force you to assign one, because they have more opportunities to fuck with imperial authority.

If you rebuild the train museum Sacramento will really love you.

1 Like

Chapter 8 - The Peaceful Years

September sees Empress Jessica telling the emperor that she is pregnant with their third child; Emperor Thao I is, as always, happy with the news.

The emperor also finally proves his ability to his colleagues in the Ivy League and is granted the privileged of being made a Lecturer. He is humbled by the League’s faith in him.

In April of 2689, little Kyra is born to the Imperial family to little fanfare, beyond the proper ceremonies in Sacramento.

Peace seems to agree with the emperor and with California in general; taxes for 2690 are the highest they’ve been in a years and Sacramento prospers under the benevolent rule of Emperor Thao I.

Perhaps hoping to preserve this peace, Emperor Thao I chooses to try his hand at diplomacy instead of war; High Chief Nolan of the Death Valley has long made it known that he wishes to be recognized as one of the kings of California and so, after some negotiation, Emperor Thao I recognizes the Death Valley as an essential part of California and grants High Chief Nolan all the rights and privileges guaranteed that comes with the title. In exchange, the Death Valley recognizes the right of the emperor to rule over them and King Nolan I pledges his vassalage to the Imperial Throne.

Emperor Thao I quickly sends Imperial bureaucrats to the Death Valley, taking the first steps to turn the tribal kingdom into a model Cetic kingdom. Of course, it helps that the Imperial bureaucrats increasingly tie the Death Valley to Sacramento.

Distressing news comes out of Mexico; taking a page from the Mormons of Deseret, the beleaguered Sagrado Corazón declare a new age of holy wars, with the goal of reconquering all of Mexico for the Saints. Only time will tell if these “Reconquistas” will threaten the Empire.

The expansion of the Imperial bureaucracy under Emperor Thao I necessitates a new office for the Imperial bureaucrats to work out of; construction for such a building begins in Sacramento in March of 2690. The emperor makes it known to his royal builders that there is no expense to big when to comes to the new headquarters; he wants his bureaucrats to be able to do their jobs to the best of their abilities, with all possible conveniences at their disposal.

Towards the end of summer, the peasants of Mariposa rise up against the emperor, claiming that Imperial taxes are too high. The Imperial Army swiftly defeats them before the end of summer.

As 2690 draws to a close, Emperor Thao I announces a grand tournament, set to coincide with the start of the new year. He invites all the kings of California to attend, a few of the more notable Gaian tribes, and the King of Deseret. To the surprise of no one, the Mormon king declines.

As it turns out, Emperor Thao I has ulterior motives for hosting the tournament; the County of San Benito, once a part of Gran Francisco, has managed to win its independence from King Walter I under the peasant turned aristocrat Nakamura Thavi. During the tournament, the emperor invites the count to join him for a private dinner, where he manages to woo Count Thavi with promises of legitimacy and Imperial recognition; the cost is his vassalage. Slowly, but surely, the once proud Gran Francisco is chipped away at.

Apparently, the northern barbarians are unhappy with the reconquest of Goldengate; in particular is one named Emmy Campbell, the Queen of Vancouver. Her vicious raids become the stuff of legends and it almost makes the emperor regret reclaiming Goldengate. Almost.

The grand tournament comes to an end in February of 2691, with Prince Khais its victory; his strong arm and stout heart brings glory to House Armour.

In March, Emperor Thao I finishes his long worked on book; titled the Song of Thao, it is a retelling of the Formation War, where Elton the Lawgiver first formed the Empire of California. It draws several favorable comparisons between the Lawgiver and Emperor Thao I, ultimately drawing the conclusion that House Armour is the spiritual successor to the old Yudkow emperors, before the dynasty fell into disrepair under Elton IV.

The people of Tahoe send representatives to Sacramento requesting help with Mormon highway men; Emperor Thao I responds by building a series of outposts along the roads, staffed by Death Valley tribesmen. Soon, the highway men are a thing of the past and the overall prosperity of Tahoe increases, as trade flows through the region.

A dispute between Imam Karim II and some peasants reaches the emperor in September; apparently, the Imam set up a tent on the farmer’s land, which destroyed some of his crops. Ultimately, Emperor Thao I pays for the farmer’s lost crops out of the Imperial treasury, all for a favor from the Imam, to be named in the future.

Emperor Thao I doesn’t wait long to call in the favor; he uses it to push for a vote on an expansion of the Right of Revocation. This expansion redefines the term “traitor” as anyone who is not of the Cetic faith; this small revision is hidden beneath many sub-clauses and many minor, unimportant changes. Imam Karim II votes in lock step with the rest of the Imperial Council, completely missing the fact that the revision mostly targets the Imamite rulers of Socal.

In December, Emperor Thao I sends a missive to Imam Karim II, demanding he step down from his position as king of Socal, relinquish all his other titles and claims on his land, and present himself in Sacramento for his treason trial. The stunned and outplayed Imam declines and declares war on the emperor, claiming he is in violation of establish Imperial law; the Imamites of Socal are an accepted religion within the Cetic administration of the Empire of California and have been nothing but faithful servants of House Armour. Emperor Thao I does not care.

4 Likes

Chapter 9 - The Imamite Rebellion

The Empire of California is divided once again, with the Imamites of Socal rising up against Emperor Thao I. The kings of Jefferson and Gran Francisco abstain from joining in to defeat the Imamite Rebellion; a strong, religiously unified Empire only strengthens Emperor Thao I’s authority, but they dare not move against an emperor so beloved by the commoners of California.

Still, the emperor is not without allies; the Count of Solano, a rebel named Kevin who won his independence from Gran Francisco, makes it know that Solano stands with the empire and publicly pledges himself to the the emperor. Emperor Thao I accepts his vassalage, taking another bite out of Gran Francisco.

Word reaches the Imperial Court that the foolish Christians of the Far East have decided to copy the Mormons, as the Catholic Pope and Ursuline Abbess-General declare a new age of Crusades within days of each other.

Emperor Thao I, looking for a quick way to end the Imamite Rebellion, begins reading up on Old World strategy and weapons, the most intriguing of which is the “firearm,” or a arrowless bow that could fire hot lead over a great distance. The emperor sends out his most competent bureaucrats to find him one of these firearms and bring it back to Sacramento so that it may be studied and reproduced.

Nearly a year after the start of the Imamite Rebellion, the Imamite army captures Nellis, a city outside of Las Vegas. Its a disheartening bit of news, as the Imperial Army is still preparing for war and has no hope of responding for several months.

But what a response it is; the Battle of Las Vegas proves that the Imperial Army is far more capable than it was under Emperor Reuben II, as the Imamites are driven from Las Vegas and Nellis is freed from their tyrannical rule.

In May of 2693 a strange letter arrives in Sacramento; from High Chief Samuel of the Silver Bow tribe, the letter pledges his life to Emperor Thao I and asks for his blessing for him and his people. Apparently, priests from the Kingdom of Jefferson have successfully converted the high chief and his people to the Cetic faith, without any prompting from Emperor Thao I. The emperor welcomes the people of Silver Bow to the Cetic community and gives them his blessing.

The Imperial Army and the Imamites next meet on the fields of Hollywood, where the rebels are soundly defeated. Following the battle, a soldier by the name of Freddy presents Emperor Thao I with an Old World firearm; the grateful emperor invites Freddy to join the Imperial Court. The firearm is sent to Sacramento, to see if the royal smiths can figure out its secrets.

As the summer wanes, the Imamites attempt their old tactic of sneaking into the Valley through Bako County; the Imperial Army is ready for them and they are beaten back at Oildale.

Not long after the Battle of Oildale, Emperor Thao I’s smiths present him with a refurbished firearm; he’s so pleased with their work that he is able to overlook the fact that they have no practical way of making their own firearms. While the emperor’s dream of equipping every Imperial soldier are effectively dead, his ownership of a functioning firearm makes him a dangerous figure on the battlefield.

In October, Count Thavi of San Benito passes away; in his will, he leaves his lands and title to Emperor Thao I. The emperor takes it as a sign that further good things are in store for him.

As 2693 closes, Emperor Thao I finds himself once again in Tehachapi, again with the goal of conquering it; by now the siege of the city has become almost routine.

2694 starts with the first Catholic Crusade; thankfully the Far East faith cares nothing for the Empire and instead focuses on conquering the Kingdom of Chicagoland in the name of the Pope. Emperor Thao I prays that the Catholics will remain distracted for a long, long time.

As the war continues, it becomes clearer and clearer that Imam Karim II has no hope of winning, as the Imamites lose city after city and battle after battle to the Imperial Army.

2694 turns into 2695 and the renovations of the Imperial Palace continue; this time, a rotting library, long buried and flooded, is discovered. Emperor Thao I orders his men to recover whatever books he can, as well as making the library fit for use once again. The builders are able to recover several original works by the first Yudkow Emperors, once thought completely lost to time; Emperor Thao I makes sure these works are made available to the general public, as they hold tremendous insights and knowledge.

In April, the new bureaucratic offices in Sacramento are finally finished; their completion promises a new age of tax collection and bureaucratic oversight. Their addition to the city draws in peasants from the surrounding countryside, looking for jobs within the ever expanding Imperial bureaucracy.

Finally, in May, the Imamite Rebellion comes to an end; facing bankruptcy and rebellious Cetic peasants, as well as a completely depleted army, Imam Karim II surrenders all his titles to Emperor Thao I, and renounces his claims on all Imperial lands. As a token gesture, the emperor grants independence to the Imamite ruler of the duchy of Altar in Mexico and offers to pay for any Imamite families that wish to move there before the start of 2696. Forced to choose between the harsh desert that is Altar and the safety and relative comfort of the Californian Empire, most Imamites choose to remain in California.

Emperor Thao I immediately begins reorganizing Socal into a model Cetic kingdom; Socal still remains a majority Cetic kingdom, so the emperor simply raises local Cetic counts to the office of Prefect. This makes him more than a few allies within the kingdom.

He also continues to remove Imamites from power where he can; when questioned as to why he continues to persecute the Imamite aristocracy of Socal, Emperor Thao I simply states, “The Empire cannot survive with two souls; we must dedicate ourselves to the one that has given us the greatest strength. That soul, I believe, is Ceticism.”

While Emperor Thao I continues to reform the aristocracy of Socal, the Catholics manage to achieve what the Mormons could not: victory in their great holy war. Chicagoland’s new ruler, Queen Jilly I, is a rallying figure for the Christians of the Far East, a symbol of for the renewed light of Christ.

Perhaps the greatest threat, in Emperor Thao I’s opinion, to the stability of the Empire is the Imamite Los Angeles merchant republic; the original backers of the Imamite take over of Socal, the emperor refuses to suffer this den of vipers any longer than necessary. When he demands that the republic’s families give up their titles and claims on the city and its surrounding environs, they predictably declare themselves an independent state; unfortunately, the Imperial Army just so happens to be stationed in Los Angeles. The resulting war is quick and brutal.

Emperor Thao I uses the Los Angeles War as a lesson for his son and heir, Prince Pollock; while touring the great city, the emperor explains how he was able to do achieve all he did during his life time, before issuing a challenge to his son: do better than he. Prince Pollock becomes annoyed with his father and his constant lessons, claiming that when he is emperor, thinks will be different…

The final battle of the Los Angeles War takes place December of 2696, near the city of Orange; while leading the Imperial Army, Emperor Thao I has an epiphany about making the most use out of the surrounding terrain.

Peace is finally made in February of 2697 and the Imamite Republic of Los Angeles is no more; a local Cetic teacher, named Charles, is elevated to the Prefect of Los Angeles. It is the emperor’s hope that having a strong Cetic ruler will encourage the people of Los Angeles to return to the Cetic fold.

The Imamite heathens, long a thorn in Emperor Thao I’s side, have finally been removed from power in Socal, greatly increasing the stability of the Empire. For the first time in thirty years, California is unified under the Cetic faith; the biggest blunder of Emperor Elton IV is finally reversed, all thanks to House Armour.

4 Likes

For a moment I thought that TYCOON STEPPEN was the character’s full name and not title+name and I was disappointed we couldn’t play as someone with as awesome a name.

Also the more that this mod tries to talk about the Old World the more that I think that a Hungry City Chronicles mod would be wild but probably impossible to model with a Paradox engine.

1 Like

Chapter 10 - The Great Reform

As is the tradition, upon his return to Sacramento following a victorious war, Emperor Thao I distributes grain to the people of the city. Unfortunately, it turns out that he has been given a stock of moldy and rotten grain, greatly angering the people. Following the debacle, he spends nearly a month distributing fresh grain to the people of the city, costing the Empire an obscene amount of money. In the end, the emperor is able reclaim his reputation as a man of the people.

The emperor also spends some time on writing a new work of Cetic philosophy; titled The Parable of the Two Souls, it outlines his reasoning as to why he could not allow the Imamite aristocracy of Socal to continue to exist. Many agree that this new work is a worthy addition to the Cetic canon.

Emperor Thao I also begins introducing his heir, Prince Pollock, to the realm; a grand feast is planned for the end of summer, where all the lords of California can fully meet the prince.

As it turns out, Prince Pollock is a natural people-pleaser, as his manners and intelligence charm the emperor’s many vassals; Emperor Thao I basks in the reflected light on his son.

The emperor also uses the feast to announce the Great Reform, a series of council approved laws and reforms that should hopefully ease their burden and allow for better governance. In reality, they greatly favor the emperor, giving him sweeping powers to change Imperial succession and determine what actions constitute treason. Thanks to the never ending wine and the excellent food, his vassals largely miss the subtext of the Great Reform.

Emperor Thao I pays some of his more competent vassals to further educate Prince Pollock in the art of war and the intricacies of Cetic thought. They are only too happy to have a chance to work with the charming prince.

The feast is a spectacular success, as the lords of California are greatly impressed with the young prince; his reputation as a competent diplomat is sure to help him in the future, when he takes the Imperial Throne.

Prince Pollock is quickly married to his cousin Fine, the daughter of Prince Khais; the marriage ensures that the two branches of House Armour will forever be entwined.

On the day of his marriage to Fine, Emperor Thao I takes his son aside for a private conversation; he tells him he is proud of the man he has become and has great hopes for his future, as well as reminding him that he carries the weight of California on his shoulders. Prince Pollock, for his part, reaffirms his commitment to being the best ruler he can be.

Never one to rest on his laurels, Emperor Thao I continues his bureaucratic reforms; the Great Reform will take some time to be fully integrated into the laws of California, and this latest batch of reforms is geared towards speeding up that integration.

The emperor also sends out his most competent bureaucrats to find him a smith worthy of adding to the Imperial regalia. Not long after, he soon receives a visit from a goldsmith known as Isaac; Emperor Thao I provides Isaac with a modest budget.

When he hears that Isaac its taking his time with the new regalia, the emperor decides to check in on him; he finds Isaac flirting with one of his courtiers, a woman by the name of Marla. Emperor Thao I chides the man for being distracted instead of working on his task; Marla and Isaac grumble, but the goldsmith gets back to work.

Emperor Thao I’s reforms do not go over well and instead of speeding up the integration of the Great Reform, he actually manages to slow it down, much to his great disappointment.

Isaac finishes his new pieces for the Imperial regalia, a small engraved dagger and a necklace of pearls; the emperor is happy with his work and proudly displays his new jewels.

The emperor also publishes a new set of religious teachings, titled The Wilted Flower; focusing on the passage of time and the slow approach of death, it ends with the narrator revealing that he has bested Death by living on in the hearts and minds of the people. The work is immediately popular, offering people hope that they too can cheat death and live on through their loved ones and friends.

Summer brings strikeball to Sacramento; the Tuolumne Tigers are playing the Sacramento Imperials and Emperor Thao I is among the many fans that fill Imperial Field to watch the two teams play. A die-hard Tigers fan, the emperor goes against the grain and cheers his hometown boys; ultimately they lose, but the game is intense and engaging. As a reward for their excellent play, the emperor renovates Imperial Field, bringing it in line with Thao Field in Tuolumne.

In November of 2699, Princess Kyra, the emperor’s sister, requests to be made Grand Commander of the Imperial Army and be given a seat on the Imperial Council. Being of royal blood and a competent commander, her request is granted, much to the chagrin of the council.

It comes to the emperor’s attention that Sacramento, the greatest city in California, lacks the most basic of hospitals; he sets about correcting this oversight immediately. While he’s at it, he also commands a survey of all of Sacramento’s roads so that those in disrepair can be fixed and improved.

In September of 2700, Emperor Thao I begins work on his next great Cetic text; his work is partly inspired by an engaging conversation between himself and Lama Charles of Los Angeles. The resulting work, On the Lawgiver, is not one of the emperor’s best and he takes the time to revise it to make it truly shine.

The revised version of On the Lawgiver is much better received by the people of California and the emperor notices a small boost in his sway over the Imperial Court.

As 2700 becomes 2701, Emperor Thao I announces to the Imperial Court that his son, Prince Pollock, is to be made the new Count of San Benito; perhaps more importantly, he appoints the prince as the new Governatus of California. It becomes clear to all present that the time when the Governatus could operate outside the sphere of Imperial control is over; the office is now forever linked with the emperor.

3 Likes

Chapter 11 - Interesting Times

Sacramento’s roads are the envy of the Empire, increasing the capital’s efficiency and prosperity, so, in April of 2701 Emperor Thao I commissions his builders to bring the major roads within California up to the quality of Sacramento’s road network. It will take years to complete and cost drain much of the treasury, but the results should more than make up for the time and cost.

The Imperial Palace continues to need repairs, after its neglect by the Yudkow Emperors; an unnoticed leak in the armory threatens to ruin the palace guards’ weapons and armor, along with some relics once belonging to the Lawgiver. A frustrated emperor gives his sister a blank check to ensure that the armory is in tip top shape.

The Imamites continue to be a problem, as the Prefect of Los Padres, a man named Keaton, comes out as a secret Imamite. Los Padres is an important prefecture, as it contains Tejon Pass, which is the locked gate that guards the Valley from invasion; allowing it to be owned by an Imamite rebel is a threat to the security of California. Thankfully, the Imperial Guards are able to quickly arrest Prefect Keaton and drag him back to Sacramento, where he is stripped of his titles; Emperor Thao I elevates General Kyra’s son, his nephew, to the office of Prefect of Los Padres.

In the distant land of Ohio a new religion rises; headed by the Tycoon of the Reserve, Consumerism worships the all mighty Dollar and the Invisible Hand. Thankfully, the petty religious feuds of the Far East mean nothing to the great California.

In 2702, a merchant from Brasilia brings strange news: crippled by what he calls “A Praga Devastadora,” the August Empire is also dealing with a band of raiders known as the Gaúcho, who threaten to over run the empire. Hopefully, the August Emperor will be able to hold them back, lest they take over all of South America.

2702 turns into the year of terrible news: a new strand of the Imamite heresy known as Orientalists, have been united under “the Viceroy,” with the explicit goal of reconquering the Sun Coast Kingdom, more commonly known as Florida. This goal puts them in direct conflict with the Holy Columbian Confederacy, which claims all of the Old World South; thankfully, the HCC is ready to stand against these invaders.

In August, a coup replaces King Walter of Gran Francisco with his sister, Sapphire; backed by the Kingdom of Jefferson, it is a clear attempt by King Stanford III to try to expand his influence within California as a counterweight to Emperor Thao I. The emperor will not let this stand and, as soon as Queen Sapphire is crowned, he declares war for the Prefecture of Wineland, claiming that historically it was directly governed by the emperor.

The emperor also begins working on making sure history remembers him in the same way it remembers Elton the Lawgiver; it will take time and effort, but in the end it’ll be worth it, if it makes House Armour remembered as paragon of art and philosophy.

The Wineland War initially goes in Gran Francisco’s favor, as the Imperial Army is slow to wake; early victories Marina, Yountville, and Napa embolden the Franciscan forces and give them hope for a swift victory.

These hopes are dashed at the Battle of Vallejo, where a massive Imperial force crushes the Franciscan army; the Franciscans lose nearly half their number, while the Imperials lose only ten men. It is a stark reminder that the Empire is not to be underestimated.

In November, Princess Alice the Pale is married to High Chief Nolan II of Death Valley; the marriage lends legitimacy to the claim that Death Valley is a true Californian kingdom.

The Mormons, having caught wind of the Wineland War, decide it is the perfect time for another Great Expedition; it once again targets Socal, hoping to crack open California for the Children of Zion.

But, instead of rushing into Las Vegas, the Mormons remain quiet through most of the Wineland War. Emperor Thao I takes advantage of this silence to quickly conquer Wineland for the Empire so that he can focus on the Mormons.

King Stanford III of Jeffeson pledges to support Emperor Thao I during the Second Socal Expedition; not too long after several regiments of Jeffersonian troops arrive in Sacramento, ready to fight the Mormons.

The Wineland War ends in September 2703, barely a year after its start; another coup has ousted Queen Sapphire and replaced her with a distant member of House Yudkow. Broke and tired, King Elton I surrenders the Prefecture of Wineland to the emperor.

The first and only battle of the Second Socal Expedition takes place at Havasu Falls. The Mormon army, barely 600 strong, crumbles before the superior Imperial Army.

Las Vegas is reinforced and its old fort rebuilt by the Imperial Army; as the only way the Mormons can attack California, Las Vegas is a linchpin in the defense of the Empire.

2703 turns to 2704, which then turns to 2705 without much fanfare; one could almost be excused for forgetting the Empire is at war with the Mormons. With Las Vegas locked down, the Mormons can only stare across the Hoover Dam and gnash their teeth in frustration. Finally, in February of 2706, after three years of stalemate, the Mormon President agrees to a white peace, ending the Second Socal Expedition. For managing to beat back the Mormons not once, but twice, Emperor Thao I becomes known as “the Glorious.”

2706 starts with a victory over the enemies of California, promising a bright future for the Empire; with Emperor Thao I at the helm of state, nothing seems impossible for the Golden State.

4 Likes

Chapter 12 - 2706 State of the World
Things have greatly changed since the time of King Pollock the Ram, not just for California, but for the rest of the world as well.

Under Emperor Thao I, the Empire of California is more united and powerful than it has been since Elton the Lawgiver first created it. The emperor still remains as hale and hearty as he was when he first claimed the throne, promising to rule for many more years to come.

Gran Francisco continues to be a land of instability; King Walter the Wise is back on the throne, after yet another coup. The once great kingdom has fallen far from its place as the jewel of California, since the loss of Goldengate.

Meanwhile, Jefferson continues to prosper under King Stanford III; a bulwark of stability, Jefferson guards California from the north, stopping any number of Gaian raiders from reaching Sacramento.

To the south is the impoverished Kingdom of Baja; currently ruled by the child king Baltasar III, its survival relies on the goodwill of Emperor Thao I. It is unclear how much longer this goodwill will last.

To the north of California two great realms are slowly emerging under the Gaians: the Kingdom of Cascadia and the Kingdom of Lincoln. While not currently a threat to California, should they ever manage to find common ground, they could easily force their way into Sacramento. Thankfully, Queen Penny I and Queen Veronica II hate each other, claiming that their “signs” are natural born enemies; whatever that means, it is apparent that no grand Gaian alliance will materialize while they rule.

North of the two Gaian kingdoms is the Kingdom of Januug Tlagaang; based out of Vancouver, the people of Januug Tlagaang are feared in California for their raiding prowess. The current king, Tahaygen the Tenacious, is, by their standards, a kind and temperate man; this has not stopped their frequent raids on the Californian coast, but it has made them less violent.

Across the Great Basin Desert lies the realm of the Mormons, Deseret. While outwardly it projects an image of a strong realm, in reality it is one in decline. Under High Judge Verril, not only did the Children of Zion fail to secure Socal, but they have lost ground to the tribals of Gadsen under Manuelito. While still possible for the Mormons to recover, it is growing increasingly unlikely they will.

For the longest time, the American Great Plains were dominated by the Catholic Kingdom of Comancheria, but in recent years the Atomicists of Sierra Madre have begun expanding into the area from Mexico. Now King Pahayoko II must deal with the up-and-coming Queen Nina I if he hopes to protect his realm from the Old World Cultists of Mexico.

Complicating matters for King Pahayoko II are the nomads of Kickatus to his north; fierce raiders and horselords, Sheriff Galen III has made it his purpose in life to destroy Camancheria.

In the Mid-East, the Kingdoms of Iowa and Chicagoland do what they can to protect Catholics and other Christians from the Old World pagans of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. Queen Jilly I, crusader who was given the crown of Chicagoland, acts somewhat as a mentor and teacher for the young Queen Emma and the two kingdoms enjoy an alliance with each other.

The biggest threat to Christianity in the Mid-East is the Jarldom of the Twin Cities; having conquered most of Michigan and Wisconsin, Jarl Ollrod I has set his eyes on conquering Iowa and Chicagoland.

In Ohio, Consumerism has failed to bring forth the change it promised; the current Tycoon of the Reserve, Stevland, has banned the religion and brought his realm back to the Rust Cultist faith. His zealous nature makes it unlikely that Consumerism will be able to survive in Cleveland, the city of its birth.

While the Christians of the Mid-East struggle to protect their people and kingdoms, the Christians of the Far East fight among themselves while the wolves gather at the door. The Anglican kingdoms of Ontario and the Maritimes have banded together to try and counter the Hudsonia-Deitscherei alliance; while Hudsonia follows the Ursiline faith and the Deitscherei are staunchly Anabaptist, they have found common ground in their shared distrust of the Anglicans of Canada. For their part, the kings of Ontario and the Maritimes have done nothing to prove this distrust unfounded, having declared several wars on both kingdoms with the goal of enforcing their faith on them.

While the Christians argue and scheme, the tribes that surround them slowly grow in strength. To the north, High Chief Kajika has managed to unite, through war and diplomacy, several local tribes under his rule. The Eeyou Itschee Coalition, as it is called, promises to be a problem for Ontario and the Maritimes if not properly managed.

To the south, the Rust Cultists of the Mid-East have united under the rule of High Chieftess Allison of Transallegheny, who has turned her gaze towards the conquest of Ohio and New York, which would put her in direct conflict with Hudsonia.

The Americanists have managed to cobble together a kingdom under General Eudoxia I; called the Old Dominion, the kingdom has designs on the Delmarva and Gotham, which has brought it into conflict with Deitscherei. Only time will tell if the Old Dominion has any staying power, beyond its current ruler.

The South remains unified under the Holy Columbian Confederacy; once thought invincible, under Emperor Omar I the HCC has faced its first real threat in the form of the Viceroy. Following a successful invasion of Florida, the Viceroy has slowly, but surely, expanded into HCC lands, bringing into question if the Empire truly is bless by God.

The Caribbean has still not recovered from the fall of the Empire and its people are scattered and disunited. In recent years, there has been a small hope for a return to stability in the form of Queen Ella of the West Indies; since the fall of the Empire, she has worked to forge a strong, united kingdom. Her biggest rivals in her quest for unity are the lords of Cuba, who have begun working together to prevent her further expansion on to the island.

In Central America, the followers of the Saints contend with a resurgence in Mesoamerican religions; the kingdoms of Mexico and Rio Bravo are threatened on all sides by the Mesoamerican kingdoms Michoacán, Mixteca, and Yucatán. The only thing stopping their complete destruction by their hands is the fact that the three kingdoms cannot agree on which Mesoamerican religion is the true faith.

South America, a land once united by the Gracia Divinia faith is now splintered in the face of Tres Potencias, a religion native to Venuzela and popular with the nomads and tribes of the Amazon. Faced with this threat, the King of Puente Grande, the King of Zulia, and the Lord Proprietor of Cartagena have banded together to protect the few remaining Gracia Divinia realms.

While it seems like Gracia Divinia is on the decline, its rival Tres Potencias seems to be unstoppable. Popular among the tribals and nomads of South America, the only thing stopping it from completely dominating the landscape is the fact that its followers seem content to fight among each other.

Finally, the August Empire of Brasilia continues to exert its power upon South America, though with the recent plague and the rise of the Gaúcho tribes it has not been as active in the region as it once was; the Northern Capitancy has only forced the Muslims of Guyana to swear fealty to the August Emperor. Only time will tell if this trend of weak Governor Militants will continue.

The World in 2706

4 Likes

Chapter 13 - End of a Legend

February sees Emperor Thao I rewarded for his long, hard work in the Ivy League: the last Dean has died and the members of the League lift him up to their highest office. He is humbled by their faith in him.

When Emperor Thao I took the throne from Emperor Reuben II, he threw out several of old laws that the kings of California disagreed with, one of which was Regulated Inheritance; sensing a chance to bring back the old law, but this time written in his favor, he brings it to his council for a vote.

He also lets it be known that the Imperial Court is a haven for art and philosophy, drawing in numerous learned men to Sacramento.

In fact, Sacramento is becoming a major draw to the people of California, as more and more peasants seeking a better life arrive by the day; thankfully, the emperor’s road project finishes just in time to accommodate the mass of carts and horses that the city suddenly must contend with.

The Right of Regulation of Realm Inheritance is shot down by his council, who are not eager to see the emperor given any more power.

Perhaps as an outlet for his frustration, Emperor Thao I declares war on the Kingdom of Baja with the goal of bringing the Prefecture of Ensenada under the empire’s direct control. His council is more than happy to rubber stamp the war, if it means they don’t have to deal with an angry emperor.

In October, with his council and all of California distracted by the war, the emperor proposes a law that will give him sole say over who is imprisoned, effectively cutting the Imperial Council out of the decision. The Cutting of Excess Bureaucracy Act, as it is known, phrases the change as one that will ultimately streamline the bureaucracy of the empire by freeing up the council to vote on more important issues. It passes with relative ease.

While in the long run, the Cutting of Excess Bureaucracy Act will give the emperor more power over the court, in the short term it requires the firing of bureaucrats that were originally assigned with bringing imprisonment request to the Imperial Council, ultimately hurting the Imperial Bureaucracy as a whole.

Emperor Thao I also continues to court artisans and scholars in the hopes of making himself known as a patron of higher learning; to this end, he creates a massive fund that any philosopher or scholar can have a piece of to fund their works, as long as they are willing to relocate to Sacramento and publish their works through the Imperial Library. It turns out to be a big hit and soon the Imperial Palace is full of great thinkers.

While Sacramento flourishes, the war in Baja continues. It goes as expected, as the child king of Baja is unable to offer much of a challenge.

A drought plagues Tahoe in 2707, causing unrest as the people struggle to grow food for themselves. It has been a good few years for Sacramento, so the emperor immediately orders the Imperial Guards to help with relief efforts for the people of Tahoe; food and water are shipped from the capital to the county, as Emperor Thao I popularity with the common man continues to grow.

Emperor Thao I’s latest work, The Great Bear, is not one of his best and many wonder if he has finally lost the fire that animated him for much of his early reign. The emperor proves these naysayers wrong by revising The Great Bear until it shines with insight.

Continuing his efforts to court great thinkers, Emperor Thao I hosts a massive debate, open to anyone who feels they can hold their own. It promises to be an exciting, enlightening event.

The emperor’s sister Kyra is caught stealing from the relief supplies that are being shipped to Tahoe. Emperor Thao I fires her and bars her from holding any office for the rest of her life.

The grand debate kicks off in August of 2707; almost immediately things get heated, as a Mormon scholar from Deseret attempts to hold an impromptu sermon as to why Cetic philosophy will never fully answer the big questions. The emperor shouts him down and kicks him out of the debate hall.

Emperor Thao I also begins writing his greatest work: his Master’s Thesis. While he’s not sure of its topic just yet, he’s certain that it’ll eclipse all his previous teachings, for those who can decipher its hidden meanings.

The debate in Sacramento comes to an end, with a young Mormon judge being named the victor. Though no Cetic scholar managed to shine during the debates, the emperor still manages to bask in the reflected glory of hosting such a prestigious and open event. Emperor Thao I even manages to learn a little something from the whole event.

The followers of Consumerism, having been forced to leave their homeland of Ohio, have made their way to the West Coast and are determined to settle in the Kingdom of Jefferson. King Stanford III, a devout Cetic ruler and a proponent of the emperor’s “two souls” theory of rulership, refuses to allow them entry into his lands. Hopefully, they zealots will move on without conflict.

Finally, at the end of 2707 Emperor Thao I decides on the topic of his Master Thesis will be on Cosmogony, or the union of the stars, planets, and the sun to predict the future.

2708 starts off well, Emperor Thao I’s tax reforms continue to pay dividends. The emperor turns the revenues into more bureaucratic reforms. The reforms are the most sweeping of his reign, calling for an accounting of not just Sacramento’s bureaucracy, but of the whole realm’s, from Jefferson to Baja.

The Ensenada War ends with an Imperial victory and the recognition of the emperor’s right to directly rule over the area. Slowly, but surely, more and more of California falls under the sway of Emperor Thao I.

The Viceroy’s war to claim the Sun Coast is defeated following the death of the Viceroy against a HCC army; the dream of a Muslim Florida dies with him.

The emperor’s Master Thesis is completed in August; titled On Ekpyrotic Cosmogony, it is completely inaccessible to most followers of Ceticism. Some of the faith’s high ranking teachers and gurus quietly claim that it is a heretical work and not worthy of a true Cetic emperor. As far as Emperor Thao I is concerned, they all simply lack the ability to understand its deeper meanings.

The expensive reforms prove to be a complete failure, as local bureaucrats are not eager to give up local autonomy to the Imperial Bureaucracy.

Dire news arrives from the August Empire: the Gaúchos have seized the Red Throne for themselves. It is unclear what the future holds for Brasilia under the horselords of the south.

On November 16th, 2708 Emperor Thao I, sometimes known as “the Shadow,” “the Glorious,” and “the Reformer” passes away in his sleep, leaving his throne to his son, Prince Pollock. Primarily known as the first Armour emperor, he left behind a web of intrigues, a list of bureaucratic reforms, and a library full of Cetic holy texts. Long a strong, central figure in Imperial politics, it remains to be seen if his son will be able to continue in his foot steps, or if he will be a return to the later Yudkow emperors.

4 Likes

Chapter 14 - The Lecher

Emperor Pollock I is a… complex man; while it cannot be denied that he is a bureaucrat and administer of great skill, instead of focusing on managing his realm, he instead is content to party, drink, and flirt without regard for what such actions have for his public image.

Almost immediately, the empire begins to suffer under his neglect, as he would rather spend his time in the taverns of Sacramento than oversee the Imperial bureaucracy. The lords of California are more than happy to take advantage of his benign neglect and begin to assert more control over their own lands, greatly weakening Imperial authority.

Without a doubt, Emperor Pollock I is emperor in name only; the Imperial Council and the Imperial Bureaucracy fight for dominance within the court, each trying to take advantage of the puppet emperor. In the end, the bureaucrats win out over the long defanged court; while they make sure that the emperor has enough gold for his leisure activities, the bulk of the treasury is focused on the further expansion of the bureaucracy, at the expense of Imperial authority.

With a little prodding, Emperor Pollock I is convinced to see to his Imperial duties; he begins writing a new book, primarily focusing on the art of seduction. Absolutely no one wants him to finish it.

When he’s not drunk and actually focused on a task, Emperor Pollock I can be quite charming; he somehow manages to convince Eleanor Yudkow, the daughter of the late Emperor Reuben II, to renounce her claims on the Imperial Throne, before trying to seduce her.

Scandal rocks the Imperial Court in January of 2709: High Chief Nolan II of Death Valley brings credible proof that Emperor Pollock I and his sister, Princess Alice, are in an incestuous relationship, which has resulted in a child. Emperor Pollock I simply walks out of the throne room, instead of responding to the high chief’s claims.

Not too long after, Emperor Pollock I releases a new work; titled The Sweetest Fruit, it makes the bold claim that, actually, incest is good and completely natural. It is certainly one of the more… inspired Imperial texts.

Terrible news arrives from the north: Jefferson, the bulwark against the barbarians of the north, has been bested by the Consumerists, who have now claimed the lands of Idaho, under High Chairman Adam Profit-Margin. The Consumerist kingdom is protected by the deadly Golden Archers, a group of masked archers, covered from head to toe in patchwork golden armor.

The expensive bureaucratic expansion is done; the Imperial council has been filled with bureaucrat aligned aristocrats, as has every level of government.

July brings grim news: Emperor Pollock I’s eldest son, Thao, dies of some unknown illness. The new Imperial heir is Nicholas, a quiet young boy who was never expected to take the throne. The emperor loses himself in the arms of one of his many mistresses, resulting in yet another Imperial bastard.

Emperor Pollock I also manages to make time for his wife, who becomes pregnant in December, marking the emperor’s fourth legitimate child; the emperor’s bastards still out number his legitimate children by a factor of two.

Brasilia is still not a power to be taken lightly, it seems; the Gaúcho emperor brutally puts down a revolt against him by one of his many tributaries. The offender is hung, quartered, and has his head stuck on a pike as an object lesson to any other would be rebels.

While he doesn’t have time govern the Empire, Emperor Pollock I somehow makes time to antagonize his vassals into hating him. One must wonder where how he manages, between his whoring and drinking.

The emperor also off loads most of his actual religious duties on some of his drinking friends; during his reign, most of the Imperial texts published are actually written by someone other than the emperor. The biggest sign that they were not penned by Emperor Pollock I is that they actually have some religious and academic value.

Emperor Pollock I spends most of 2710 in a drunken stupor, only coming out of it long enough to acknowledge his latest bastard, a boy named Todd.

In April of 2711, the Imperial bureaucracy manages to get the emperor to sign off on a holy war to retake Nevada from the Consumerists; pressure from the aristocracy and the peasants over the loss of half of Jefferson to a group of heretics threatens to topple the bureaucracy in a palace coup, and the hope is the holy war will give the two groups something new to focus on, as well as renew faith in the emperor.

Instead of focusing on the Nevadan Reclamation, Emperor Pollock I gets really into hosting feast after feast after feast. The end result is that he throws out most of his old clothing and demands the bureaucrats buy him a new wardrobe that fits, as well as a new Imperial work, titled Food for Thought. It is not exactly a mentally stimulating book.

The Nevadan Reclamation starts off well, with the Imperial Army beating the Consumerists at Nevada City; they even manage to capture one of the Golden Archer’s captains.

Things take a turn in 2712 at the Battle of Grass Valley, where the Imperial Army faces off against the main Consumerists army, lead by High Chairman Adam himself. For the first time in decades, the Imperial Army is forced to retreat.

The emperor is inspired by the Imperial defeat at Grass Valley, and pens the work known as The Dishonor of Retreat; little more than a denunciation of the generals who had lost Grass Valley, it is a detailed report of what the emperor would’ve done, had be been consulted. A great number of Imperial generals threaten to leave their posts, and the Imperial bureaucracy taps into the treasury to bribe them into compliance.

Meanwhile, in the Mid-East, the Norse of the Twin Cities, led by Jarl Ollrod, have come together to codify their faith, in an effort to compete with the Christian kingdoms of Iowa and Chicagoland. Along with this new hierarchy comes the creation of the Fylkir’s Hundred, a band of elite warriors tasked with defending the reformed Norse faith from Minnesota to Ohio.

The Imperial Army suffers a second defeat, this time at Placerville. Disheartened by the emperor’s poor leadership, many Imperials simply desert rather than fight for the Lecher Emperor.

With the rise of heathen powers to the east, as well at home, and a weak, lecherous emperor on the throne, it seems as if California’s star is once again in decent. The dream of a unified, strong California seems more and more distant every day.

4 Likes

No update today because I was working on this (minor game spoilers, maybe?):

I got the Long After the End mod working for EU4; its one of the worst put together mods I’ve ever seen, so I spent most of the day wrangling it to make do what its supposed to. But it was worth it!

2 Likes

Looking forward to it.

1 Like

I hope that Adam Profit-Margin does well with whatever he’s doing out there. He deserves to with a cool name like that.

2 Likes

Chapter 15 - A Bad End

In May, strange ships appear just outside of Goldengate, flying an unknown flag. The city’s bureaucrats grant the ship’s captain an audience, where he explains that they are simple traders from the mythical island kingdom of Hawaii, looking to establish new trade routes with their neighbors across the Pacific. The bureaucrats grant them a trading license, with the understanding that they will be forced to pay higher tariffs than local traders.

The Imperial bureaucracy also continues to be extremely good at collecting taxes for the crown, which is greatly appreciated during these dire times.

This tax money, as well as the money coming in from the new foreign trade, is used to hire several mercenary bands to help reinforce the Imperial Army. This turns out to be an excellent idea, as with fresh troops the Imperial Army is able to beat the Consumerists at the Battle of Fernley. Urged on by this victory, the Imperial Army manages to take Susanville, finally bringing the war to the Consumerists.

Even better news arrives in November: High Chairman Adam is dead! He died of an infected wound, following the Battle of Fernley, leaving his underage son to rule over the Consumerists. Almost immediately, the heathens splinter, as High Chairman Mellon claims that he is the true successor of the Prophet Adam, not the prophet’s son. He takes with him nearly half of the established Consumerist kingdom, greatly decreasing their ability to fight.

Emperor Pollock I uses the High Chairman’s death to boost his profile, proclaiming that it was only with his blessing that the Imperial Army was able to injure the man during the Battle of Fernley. A tired, desperate populace, eager for any sign that the emperor might live up to his father, accept this claim without much argument.

The Nevadan Reclamation is still a long way from being over, though with the Consumerists divided, it is mostly mop up work for the Imperial Army.

The Nevadan Reclamation ends in February of 2713 with a victory for the empire. The Prefecture of Nevada is given to Count Frank of Carson, a distant relative of High Chief Nolan II; the hope is that it will help mend fences with the Death Valley.

In the far north of Canada, the King of the Cree begins to transition from the nomadic life of his ancestors to a more sedentary one. If he manages to convince the other Cree lords to emulate him, a truly fearsome empire will be born.

The old royal armory in Tuolumne floods, threatening to destroy some family relics. The bureaucracy dutifully ensures that nothing is permanently damaged.

With some coaxing from the Imperial bureaucrats, Emperor Pollock I arranges for a feast to introduce his heir, Prince Nicholas, to the lords of California.

The Cree experiment as a settled tribe utterly fails, causing the budding empire to shatter into a million different domains, all of them competing to reclaim the title of the King of All Cree.

The day of Prince Nicholas’ introduction to the realm comes; initially, his quiet nature causes some friction between him and his future vassals, but with a little prodding, he finally comes out of his shell and manages to make a good impression on the assembled lords.

Teacher Channing even offers to further educate the prince in the intricacies of Cetic thought; eager to get back to drinking, the emperor agrees.

The Imperial bureaucracy continues to govern while the emperor spends his days doing literally anything else; they continue to expand their powers at the cost of Imperial authority.

In March of 2715, King Walter of Gran Francisco dies, leaving the throne to his grandson, Prince Lloyd; the new king is barely a year old. Sensing a chance to further expand their holdings, the Imperial aristocracy pressures the emperor into declaring war on the ailing kingdom. Eager for the glory of a cheap, easy war, the emperor bucks the directives of his bureaucrats and declares war with the goal of claiming the prefecture of Salinas.

As a consequence of his resistance to the bureaucracy, people begin to whisper that maybe, just maybe, the emperor is done being a puppet of the bureaucrats.

In May, the Imperial Army, headed by Emperor Pollock I, engages with the Franciscan army at San Benito; the emperor immediately gets hurt and loses one of his legs in the resulting scuffle. The Imperial Army still manages to beat the minuscule Franciscan force.

Emperor Pollock I, called “the Lecher” and “the Ill-Emperor” succumbs to his injuries on May 26th, 2715. A man of no great ambition beyond feasting, drinking, and bedding any woman that would have him, the Empire is better for his death. Under him, the Prefecture of Nevada was reclaimed from the Consumerists and the Imperial bureaucracy grew by leaps and bounds.

His son, now Emperor Nicholas I, is but a boy of 13 and is untested in the realm of Imperial politics. It remains to be seen if he will join his father as a figurehead emperor, or if he will blaze his own path in the image of his grandfather, Emperor Thao I.

4 Likes

At least the Regency will only be a few years.

Pollock single-handedly tanked both my administrative bureaucracy score AND Imperial authority to unheard of levels, which I have to spend literal decades fixing. I fucking hate him.

1 Like

Easy come easy go for the mandate of heaven, I guess.

1 Like

Please, its the Prime Mandate and also claiming it is super hard, for some reason?

1 Like

Given who created it, how much of the religion of Cetism is devoted to AI development?

Sadly zero percent.