The Golden State: Let's Play Crusader Kings 2

Chapter 4 - The Children of Zion

With war once again looming on the Valley’s horizon, King Thao I approaches local moneylenders in an effort to secure a small loan to fund the war. Backed by promises of quickly paying them back once the war is over, he manages to get 200 gold from them, which allows him to hire a band of mercenaries to help shore up the Valleyan army, which is still recovering from the Mormon War.

Just as the Valleyan army is gearing up for the war, King Thao I receives an interesting letter from a mercenary captain known as Cooper; apparently, his band of men was hired by Socal months ago, but they have yet to be paid for their services. Captain Cooper proposes that King Thao I hire him and his group instead; promises of a deep discount and knowledge of Socal tactics and plans is enough to entice the king and he agrees to the captain’s proposal.

Word of the Charger’s betrayal reaches the king of Socal and they are forced to quickly flee into the Valley; while many Chargers die, Captain Cooper manages to reach friendly lines and provide the information he promised the king. Apparently, the Socal army plans to quickly march into the Central Valley and propose an alliance between themselves and Prefect Graham, allowing for a swift conquest of the Valley. King Thao I issues orders for his bureaucrats to watch his uncle, dons his armor, and heads off to battle; he cannot allow the Imamites to reach the Central Valley, for he is sure that Graham will eagerly join them.

In March of 2674, the King of Jefferson finally comes of age; King Thao I’s sister Skylar is quickly married off to him, further cementing the ties between the two kingdoms. While King Stanford II cannot become directly involved in the war, he sends a small gift of gold to King Thao I and his best wishes for a quick resolution to the fighting.

The Valleyan army engages the Imamites at Tehachapi, hoping to cut off the main force before it has a chance to enter the Valley proper. The Chargers prove themselves during the battle and the following siege, where they are key in the capture of city.

The victory celebrations are cut short when news arrives that the main Imamite force used the Battle of Tehachapi as a distraction, so that they could slip past the Valleyan army and make their way via Ventura. At Bakersfield, a small Valleyan rearguard is defeated by the Imamites, before the main Valleyan force can reinforce them.

When the Valleyan army arrives at Bakersfield, ready to fight, they instead find that they have missed the Imamite army yet again; while they were marching double time to break the siege of Bakersfield, the Imamites once again slipped past them and liberated Tehachapi.

This game of cat and mouse does not anger King Thao I, but rather fills him with a general sense of malaise; he is not eager for yet another prolonged war in Socal that forces him to put his plans on hold. His court physician, Ricardo, claims that the king is suffering from Slow Fever and issues a rigorous schedule of nature walks to “clear the lungs of the smells of civilization.” This does nothing to help the king feel better.

The king’s health continues to worsen and Ricardo’s treatments become more and more bizarre; this culminates in throwing King Thao I into a room full of angry bees and allowing him to be stung several times. The strange thing is, these treatments work, and the king begins to feel better.

King Thao I’s health recovers just in time for the latest philosophical work from the Emperor, a great tome that is a dialogue between a hermit and a king; by the end of it, the king has given up all his worldly possessions, including his throne, to the much more capable hermit. While the Hermit King is extremely popular, it does not take King Thao I to realize that Emperor Mickey’s latest work is simply all about how he should surrender to the Imamites, abandon his throne, and live a simple, peaceful life in the hills. He very carefully throws the book into a well, without reading it beyond the third chapter.

Word reaches California in October of the fall of the Caribbean Empire; the parallels between it and California are apparent, as the last Empress of the Caribbean was weak and surrounded by infighting. A dark cloud seems to pass over the Empire, as people feel they are in the end days of the once great Golden State.

Suddenly, in December of 2675, the Imamites sue for peace, giving up their claim on the Valley. While no one can prove it, rumors swirl that King Thao I’s spies had a hand in the sudden change of priorities for the Imamites; the sudden rising of several Cetic rebels within Socal cannot be tied back to the Valley, but it is true that the Valley’s coffers are lighter than they were a few months ago. Whether true or not, people begin to refer to King Thao I as “the Shadow,” but usually in a whisper.

Peace returns to the Valley and with it comes more reforms. King Thao I continues to remove supporters of his old council and replacing them with competent and loyal bureaucrats.

The royal court also celebrates the marriage of the king’s brother and heir, Prince Khais; his bride is the daughter of the Prefect of Kern. While nothing special, the marriage provides the Valley with much needed stability and revenue.

The New Year brings excellent news: Ricardo is confident that King Thao I is on the mend, and gives him a clean bill of health.

Now that he is well, King Thao I travels to Sacramento to expand his influence over the Imperial Court. Bucking tradition, he does not name Prefect Graham as his regent, but rather his new father-in-law, the Prefect of Kern. Prefect Tubrog continues to oversee the king’s bureaucratic reforms, which are now in full swing.

While in Sacramento, King Thao I works to project an image of a model Cetic king in defiance of the rumors about him and his family. When offered a second helping during a meal with the Emperor, the king declines, which contributes to the image of him as a temperate and moderate ruler.

Tuolumne continues to be seen as a center of learning, equality, and higher learning; again the people of Dorado bring forward a suspected witch and, in line with the king’s previous decision, Prefect Tubrog demands they release the woman and invites her to stay in the court as a respected scholar. People begin to speak of King Thao I’s ambition to collect all knowledge and prove himself as a worthy successor to House Yudkow.

In August, King Thao I returns home from Sacramento, having secured his position in court. He immediately begins work on a book, which is rumored to be a refutation of the Hermit King; thanks to his open door policy regarding philosophers and scholars, it promises to be a great work. More and more, it appears as though Sacramento is not the center of the Empire, but rather Tuolumne.

The Valley enjoys nearly a year of peace and prosperity, which comes to an end in April of 2677, when a pandemic begins to sweep through Tuolumne; the people of the city immediately blame the spread of the disease on the local cat population. Wishing to come to some sort of consensus, King Thao I sends out the royal doctors and scholars to study and examine the cats of Tuolumne. They ultimately come to the conclusion that the cats are not to blame, though the king orders them to keep a few of the beasts around for further study.

One month later, Prince Khais has his first child, a girl who he names Fine. King Thao I is overjoyed at his new niece, as he still does not have a child of his own.

Perhaps longing for his own child, King Thao I begins spending more and more time with the cats he obtained for examination and becomes more and more attached to a small cat he named Mittens. Soon, the two are inseparable and King Thao I’s mood improves significantly. When a mob shows up at the castle demanding that all cats in the city be driven out and killed, the king picks the meanest looking cat and publicly executes it, claiming it is the source of the disease in Tuolumne. Not long after, the pandemic dies down and life returns to normal.

In October, King Thao I uses his connections in the Imperial Court to force his uncle to name him as the next Governatus of California. Forced by court politics well beyond his ability to control, Prefect Graham names the king as the next Governatus during an impressive ceremony in Sacramento.

While on the surface, Governatus Graham, Emperor Mickey, and King Thao I are all pulling together to protect all of California, underneath it all is a shadowy war for control over the future of the Empire. With his position as Governatus heir secure, the king puts into motion a plan long in the making: the untimely death of his beloved uncle.

King Thao I receives a strange message from Gran Francisco in March; apparently the current king, Walter the Wise, has fallen in love with one of his courtiers and is requesting the king’s permission to marry his lady love. While it does not result in a formal alliance, King Thao I agrees to King Walter’s request; he figures that having the richest of the five kingdoms predisposed to liking him isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

March is the month of weddings it seems, as Princess Opal finally comes of age and her and the king finally marry. The royal court is hopeful that this marriage will produce a heir.

In June, Prefect Graham, perhaps sensing the vultures preparing to dine, invites his nephew to his court for a feast, hoping to mend fences. King Thao I surprises everyone by accepting his uncle’s invitation, if only because he is curious about the gesture.

During the feast, the prefect invites the king to join him in playing an Old American board game known as “Monopoly.” The gaming session is intense, but with some creative cheating, the king is able to win. The joy of beating his uncle fills King Thao I with a love of all things related to gaming, and he leaves the feast with a new passion.

On the New Year, the king’s loan comes due. King Thao I tells the moneylenders to leave him alone and banishes them from his castle. While he doesn’t have to pay his loan, his public image takes a noticeable hit.

But, this black mark on his honor is soon forgotten, as he takes the money he would’ve had to give to the moneylenders and instead invests it back into improving Tuolumne; he improves the castle’s walls and opens up a new public hospital, which is staffed with some of the greatest doctors in California.

The royal court’s culture of philosophy, learning, and debate continues to flourish under King Thao I’s gentle care, but unlike many rulers, the king also joins in the frequent debates and discussions. When the topic of the American Dream comes up, King Thao I makes it known that, to him, the American Dream is not one of learning or of living a simple life, but rather one of conquering all your enemies and driving them before you. He says this while looking at Prefect Graham; not long after, the prefect packs up his office in the capital and returns home to the Central Valley.

In April of 2680, Emperor Mickey the Holy dies and is succeeded by his brother, who is crowned Emperor Reuben II. Emperor Reuben II is a much more vital man, who has strong opinions about what the Emperor’s job is and exactly where the five kings fit within that picture. His first action is to force the Regulated Inheritance Act of 2680 on to the five kingdoms; essentially, the five kingdoms cannot inherit lands from each other, and that the five crowns will never be united under a single king.

As a message to the Kings of California, it is clear: the days of the weak Emperors are over and that the authority of the Imperial Throne is absolute. But where the other kings worry about this new age of Imperial oversight, King Thao I sees the chance he has always been waiting for; with the Kings unhappy about Imperial overreach, he is confident that, should he make his move now, the Emperor will find himself without allies. And so, the king beings to put his plans into motion.

4 Likes

I’m legitimately surprised that they were able to mod something like this in. Does it work on events?

I dunno, but it resets when there’s a new emperor from a new dynasty.

Isn’t it just a natural application of the base game’s mechanics? Imperial laws apply to everyone in its de jure territory but since the kingdoms are all technically independent realms their titles can’t pass between each other.

Didn’t think of it that way; I so rarely see an AI empire in this situation it never crossed my mind.

Chapter 5 - This Year in Sacramento

Emperor Reuben II continues his efforts to boost Imperial authority, this time by demanding that King Thao I relinquish his claim on Sacramento. Again, the king tells the Emperor that he will not simply hand over what is his birthright.

Perhaps hoping to convince his nephew to quite his pretensions on the Imperial Throne, Prefect Graham invites the king to another feast in the Central Valley; again, King Thao I agrees to attend, but this time he does so with the plan to finally kill his uncle, as the time is perfect for his ascension to the role of Governatus of California.

Imagine his surprise when, in June of 2680, his uncle simply dies of natural causes. A little deflated that he did not have the honor of ending the man who had been a constant thorn in his side, King Thao I accepts the title of Governatus during a short ceremony in Sacramento. Once again, the office of Governatus is controlled by House Armour.

While in Sacramento, King Thao I revives the old Armour tradition of distributing grain to the populace, sparing no expense in doing so. The people of Sacramento cheer him on and compare him favorably to King Pollock the Ram, the last Governatus to distribute grain to the people. The Emperor can only fume at the king’s growing popularity with his people.

Instead of returning home to Tuolumne after receiving the role of Governatus, King Thao I decides to remain in Sacramento for the time being, with the goal of re-organizing the office of Governatus to be more in line with his vision. Prince Khais assumes control of the Valley while his brother is at the Imperial Court.

Having honed his skills for reforming the bureaucracy of the Valley, the office of Governatus is soon made into a lean, efficient machine, with the unstated goal of weakening the Emperor’s position in court. Soon, Emperor Reuben II is completely left out of the day to day decision making of the Empire, as the office of Governatus takes on more and more responsibility.

His position secure and his powers unmatched, King Thao I presents the Emperor with an ultimatum in August of 2680: turn over Sacramento to the Valley or face a war. Emperor Reuben II, sure that all of California will rise up against the Valley for such a raw display of power and disregard for Imperial authority, shouts him down and bars him from the Imperial Palace. But instead of the other kingdoms supporting the Emperor, they instead decide to sit out and allow the two to duke it out; even the Imamites of Socal, who have enjoyed Imperial protection in exchange for loyalty and vassalage, send only a token force to protect the Imperial Palace. The Emperor is said to be in a constant rage over this betrayal.

King Thao I continues to work on his book, and releases a small sample of it in September; it is said to contain a dialogue between himself and Elton the Lawgiver, which proves that House Armour are the intellectual heirs to his legacy. While it is clearly propaganda of the highest order, its quality and writing make many question whether Emperor Reuben II deserves the throne.

The Imperial and Valleyan armies engage in battle in the outskirts of Tuolumne; the Battles of Turlock and Folsom are Valleyan victories over the Imperial Palace guards, the only force that the Emperor has at his disposal. The way to Sacramento is finally open for King Thao I.

At the start of February 2681, Prefect Tubrog requests to be the next Governatus; King Thao I informs him that, while he appreciates his work as a prefect of the Valley, he fully intends to keep the office of Governatus within House Armour.

In May, Queen Opal shares joyous news with the king: she is pregnant! Almost overnight, the king’s focus shifts from the war for Sacramento to making sure his wife is taken care of during her pregnancy; he gives his court physician, Teacher Pheng, leave to study with the doctors at the Hospital of Tuolumne, with the goal of improving his understanding of pregnancy.

But with joy there must also be equal amounts of pain; May also brings the news that the Emperor has managed to bribe the Imamites into honoring their agreement. An army of four thousand Imamites attack and siege the city of Bakersfield, claiming it for the Emperor.

Still, King Thao I keeps his eyes on the real prize: Sacramento. The city itself falls in May and the king is once again walks the halls of the Imperial Palace. But while Sacramento is now in Valleyan hands, the rest of the kingdom suffers under the Imamites’ attack; the town of Oildale falls in July, yet another Imperial victory on their way to reclaim Sacramento.

As King Thao I prepares to reclaim the lands lost to the Imamite army, his court astronomer informs him that his child will be born under auspicious stars. While King Thao I doesn’t believe in such superstitious drivel, Queen Opal is elated with the news. While the queen’s head is in the clouds, the king makes sure that she has plenty of maids and friends to socialize with during her pregnancy.

The city of Arvin falls to the Imamites in September, cementing their control over the County of Bako. Despite this set back, King Thao I is feeling less and less cynical about things; the end of his intrigues feel closer and closer every day.

The Valleyans and Imamites meet outside of Hanford and the following battle quickly falls in favor of the king’s forces. With the Emperor’s last, best hope of winning the war defeated, victory seems just around the corner.

Still, King Thao I leaves nothing to chance and, with the help of his wife, manages to court the High Chief of Gadsen; while they follow the way of the Atom, High Chief Jojo finds common ground with King Thao I and the two leaders sign an alliance against Emperor Reuben II.

By December, Bako County is back in Valleyan hands and its garrison receives reinforcements to make sure it can be held against the next Imamite offensive.

December, as it turns out, is a month of joy, as King Thao I’s first child is born. The boy is named Pollock after his grandfather, and the king has great hopes for the boy’s future.

In spring of 2682, the Valleyans continue their efforts to seize the Imperial seat, the County of Sacramento. Without much resistance, the city of Roseville surrenders to King Thao I.

June sees the return of the Imamites, as their next offensive manages to take back Bakersfield before the Valleyan army can respond.

Teacher Pheng publishes a conclusive study of his time with the midwives and doctors of Tuolumne Hospital; Upon the Birth of Children is hailed by the local academic community as a major step forward in the understanding of the human body and its many, sundry functions. Outside of Tuolumne, it is seen as only a small contribution to the general body of knowledge of physiology.

The Sacramento War drags on into 2683, with a constant back and forth between the Valleyans and Imamites; the Valleyans will retake Bakersfield, return to Sacramento to lay siege to some other small city, and then rush back to retake Bakersfield once again. While it is slow going, its slowly becoming clearer and clearer that the Emperor cannot hope to keep the war going.

Hoping to break the Valleyan’s slow, but sure, grind to victory, the Imperial army, under the command of Terpen Yudkow, attempt to sneak a small force of soldiers into the Imperial Palace to retake it while the Valleyan army deals with the Imamites in Bako. Unfortunately, word reaches King Thao I just in time for him to turn around and rush back to Sacramento. The Imperial army is defeated and Terpen Yudkow is captured. The son of Emperor Mickey the Holy and the current Imperial heir, Terpen is an extremely valuable hostage; finally, it seems like Emperor Reuben II might be willing to negotiate.

With his heir in Valleyan hands, Emperor Reuben II has no choice but to surrender Sacramento to King Thao I; peace is made on May 4, 2683 and Sacramento, including the Imperial Palace, is handed over to the Valley. Emperor Reuben II is allowed to keep his chambers in the palace, but beyond that, he has no control over the city; an outraged Emperor relocates the Imperial Court to Las Vegas, but is unable to move many of the bureaucratic structures that run the Empire of California with him. Suddenly, King Thao I finds himself with the keys to the Empire, without the Emperor constantly looking over his shoulder.

A new age of Imperial politics looms, one where the entire Empire is dominated by the Governatus and his bureaucrats. Only time will tell if this is for good or for ill.

4 Likes

Chapter 6 - Courtly Intrigues

With Sacramento under his control, King Thao I moves the royal court into the Imperial Palace; ostentatiously, this is to minimize bureaucratic waste and consolidate the Governatus office with his own royal office, but in reality it makes a clear statement to Emperor Reuben II: King Thao I considers himself the true Emperor of California.

King Thao I resumes the building projects left fallow by Emperor Reuben II in favor of his great golden throne; he focuses on building up the royal bedchambers, to better accommodate his growing family and court. The fact that it allows for more direct intrigue and threats never crosses the king’s mind.

To pay for the renovations to the Imperial Palace, he ransoms off the five members of House Yudkow that he somehow acquired during the Sacramento War, for a rather tidy sum and numerous angry letters from the enraged Emperor.

Unfortunately, suddenly having control over Sacramento doesn’t make most of King Thao I’s problems go away, but instead amplifies them, as he now has to run almost all of the Imperial bureaucracy by himself. It is extremely stressful.

It doesn’t help that Emperor Reuben II constantly sends missives demanding the return of Sacramento to him; the Emperor censures him, barring him from the Imperial court. Of course, the fact that King Thao I controls the Imperial court and bureaucracy seems to completely go over his head.

The streamlining of bureaucracy continues, resulting in a more centralized government, with less delegated powers for the prefects. Since the reforms directly benefit them, the prefects are quick to approve them.

In November of 2683, Valleyan scholars uncover old texts that talk about the “King of Sacramento;” apparently before Elton the Lawgiver was Emperor of California, he was simply the king of Sacramento. Eager to draw more parallels between himself and the Lawgiver, King Thao I revives the old title and crowns himself as such on November 16, 2683. Emperor Reuben II declares the act the highest treason, but his voice is quiet all the way in Las Vegas.

Word of King Thao I’s support for the sciences and arts have reached the secretive Ivy League; a loose confederation of universities, philosophers, teachers, and learned men, the Ivy League is part secret society, part social club. When the king makes his interest in such a group known, Dean Antipas invites him to join. King Thao I is only too happy to accept.

Towards the end of November, King Thao I prepares to make the journey to Las Vegas, to see if the Emperor can be made to see sense and recognize his claim on the Kingdom of Sacramento. Prefect Tubrog is again made regent of the Valley.

When the peasants of Colusa hear that the king is gone, they immediately rise up, demanding rights and privileges generally reserved for the aristocracy. They are just as quickly put down by the battle hardened Valleyan army.

King Thao I arrives back in Sacramento in May of 2684, bringing news from the Imperial Court: while the Emperor was vitriolic as always, the bureaucrats still recognized Governatus’ authority. In the end, Emperor Reuben II is powerless to stop his bureaucracy or King Thao I’s influence over it; not only is his Imperial Censure removed, but his claim to the Kingdom of Sacramento recognized.

In July, the king starts writing his first work for the Ivy League; he decides to copy liberally from the Lawgiver’s essay on the nature of the soul, The Unbroken Wheel, reasoning that the Ivy League has not often encountered Cetic thought and philosophy.

King Thao I continues to reform the remaining Imperial bureaucracy still in Sacramento, this time focusing on the religious offices. He quickly determines who still supports the Emperor and quietly removes them, usually by offering them early retirement with a large lump sum of gold. By the end of August, every teacher and philosopher in Sacramento are singing his praises.

Emperor Reuben II continues to demand Sacramento back, this time by claiming that several properties within the city belong to House Yudkow. Without any prompting, the Imperial bureaucracy quickly proves that this is not the case, greatly embarrassing the Emperor.

In October, Queen Opal is once again pregnant, this time with the king’s second child. When the queen informs her husband, he expresses his joy, but gently reminds her that he has his hands full running the Imperial bureaucracy and that she is fully capable of taking care of herself.

At the start of 2685, King Thao I finishes his essay for the Ivy League; he quickly submits it for their approval. He hopes that none of their scholars are well versed in the intricacies of Cetic philosophy.

Unfortunately, the king’s focus on his writing is put to an end when is wife goes into labor; apparently it is difficult one, and the king calls in his court physician, who was so helpful with Opal’s last birth. He is able to help somewhat, though only time will tell if he truly did anything.

Concerned with the health of his wife, King Thao I is able to find some small distraction in the arrival of a merchant from far off Brasilia. His stories of the August Empire of the south transport the king to another land, one full of Imperial splendor and noble knights. When the merchant leaves the following day, he presents King Thao I with the gift of a eunuch named Alcomendras, which the king happily accepts.

Not long after the merchant leaves Sacramento, the king receives the news that Queen Opal has died giving birth to his newest child, a small, sickly girl his wife named Alice, before passing away. King Thao I blames himself for his wife’s death; he was too distracted with ruling that he lost sight of what was truly important. He vows to take care of little Alice and ensure that she survives to adulthood in atonement for his hubris.

Not long after his wife’s death and the birth of his daughter, King Thao I prepares for another journey to Las Vegas; this time he plans on bringing his family with him, partly to watch after his son and daughter, partly to show young Pollock how much of a fool Emperor Reuben II is. Prefect Tubrog is once again made regent of the Valley, having proven himself a reliable and loyal man.

King Thao I arrives in Las Vegas in April of 2685, and is immediately greeted by a young, shy woman who introduces herself simply as Jessica Norris; Jessica is one of the Empresses’ handmaidens and had been sent by the Emperor to greet his Governatus. Perhaps it is the fact he has just lost his beloved wife, or perhaps it is because Jessica shows a keen interest in administration and business, but whatever the reason, King Thao I falls in love with her at first sight. He asks her to marry him after a whirlwind of romance in Las Vegas; the stunned Jessica happily agrees, and the two are soon wed at one of Las Vegas’ many temples.

While he’s in Las Vegas, the Ivy League finishes reviewing his paper; it turns out his bet that the members of the League did not know Cetic philosophy pays out, as they lavish his paper with praise and claim it provides insight into the deepest part of the human soul.

The king doesn’t forget his primary reason for coming to Las Vegas; he shows Pollock the ins and outs of the Imperial bureaucracy (or at least, the little that exists in the new Imperial court), while also making sure he knows that Emperor Reuben II is a complete buffoon. He leaves the court with even more power than he had before, leaving the Emperor to fume and fret in his sad and shabby court.

The king has barely returned to Sacramento when yet another letter demanding the return of the city to the Emperor arrives; King Thao I has had enough with the toddler masquerading as the Emperor of California and pens his very own letter to the Emperor.

The letter details the many failings of Emperor Reuben II and how he has lost the Prime Mandate that originally empowered Elton the Lawgiver to unify the many people of California; instead, he claims that that Mandate now exists with him and House Armour. He draws parallels between himself and the Lawgiver, how he has reformed the Imperial bureaucracy to be more efficient, in spite of the Emperor’s efforts to hamstring him. He concludes the letter demanding Emperor Reuben II immediately step down and give him the throne, as it is the only logical and true thing to do; to do anything else would mean war, a war that the Emperor has no hope of winning. King Thao I begs the Emperor to choose the choice that would allow California to continue on as a single, strong state, instead of one divided.

The Emperor, predictably, chooses war.

4 Likes

I know this Emperor would never accept it, but is it possible to actually get the Emperor to step down without a fight?

Not that I know of; I believe its scripted to have a war.

1 Like

That’s surprising, my knowledge of Chinese history is pretty limited but I can think of two cases where the Deposed Emperor just gave up without a fight in exchange for a cushy advisory job.

It’d be neat if that could happen; this is generally a problem with AtE, though. There’s lots of things that would be neat if they could happen, but they don’t in the mod, despite the fact that they can happen with the right event/script.

Chapter 7 - The Golden War

Though there is a war on, life continues on; not long after the declaration of hostilities between the Valley and the Emperor, Queen Jessica makes it known that she is pregnant with her first child. King Thao I vows to pay better attention to his new wife during her pregnancy; he refuses to repeat the errors of the past.

Renovations for the Imperial Palace continue apace and the royal builders discover an old metal box deep within the bowels of the palace; while eager to see what secrets it contains, King Thao I hires a local expert in Old American locks to make sure it is not trapped. His caution pays off, as the box contains a set of beautiful Old World jewelry.

The Imamites dust off their old strategy from the Sacramento War: a quick attack into the County of Bako, with the goal of seizing the pass into the Valley. Unfortunately for them, the Valleyans have learned their mistakes and a fully reinforced army waits for them at Arvin; the Battle of Arvin is a resounding Valleyan victory, throwing the Imamites back into Socal.

The Valleyans follow up their victory at Arvin by pursuing the retreating Imamites to Tehachapi, where they are once again defeated; a few months later, in February of 2686, Tehachapi falls to the Valleyans. It seems as though nothing can stop King Thao I’s advance.

On March 16th, 2686 Queen Jessica gives birth to a daughter, who she names Jessica. King Thao I receives the news just as his army begins to leave Tehachapi; he orders all his men to stop breaking camp and invites them to join him for a celebratory feast for the birth of his newest child.

In a strange quirk of fate, the king is given a chance to meet his new daughter not long after her birth; the barbarians of Death Valley have answered the Emperor’s call to arms and have managed to slip into the Valley to begin laying siege to Sacramento. The Valleyan army rushes back to Sacramento and beat back the barbarians; this leaves Tehachapi with only a small garrison, which the Imamites take advantage of to score an easy victory.

When the Valleyan army prepares to leave Sacramento, King Thao I decides to stay to look after his family and to continue working on his various papers and essays for the Ivy League; his latest one concerns celestial bodies and their relationship to Earth.

The king is quickly consumed with his study of the sky, finding its mysteries endlessly fascinating; while pondering the movements of Venus during a meeting with his council, he accidentally fires his guru, Teacher Zack. After making his apologies to him, King Thao I returns to his work as if nothing had happened.

In September, the Imamites are driven out of Bakersfield and Bako County is once again in Valleyan hands.

With this latest defeat, it has become clear that the Emperor with his Imamite allies has no hope in enforcing his rule over California and so he approaches King Thao I to open up negotiates. The terms are hammered out and in October a treaty is signed; in it, King Thao I is crowned as the newest Emperor, House Yudkow is allowed to keep its titles in and around Las Vegas, and the Imamites are allowed to continue ruling Socal, with the newest Imam, a man named Karim II, given a place on the Imperial Council. It is not the crushing victory that Emperor Thao I wanted, but it is a step in the right direction.

Now the undisputed ruler of California, Emperor Thao I institutes several bureaucratic reforms, with the goal making the Emperor the undisputed ruler of California; now that he is the Emperor, he will suffer not intrigues or power plays that would threaten his throne. With the Empire’s treasure open to him, he spares no expense in his reforms.

Emperor Thao I also takes the time to meet with Imam Karim II in private, where he manages to convince the Imam that he has no plans to remove the rights given to the Imamites under the old Yudkow Emperors; while this is not the case, the emperor knows that to move now would only expose him to his enemies.

The bureaucracy of the old Valleyan royal court and the office of Governatus (of which, Emperor Thao I is technically still the head of) integrate seamlessly into the new Imperial Court; it is almost like Emperor Thao I had been planning for just such an eventuality.

The emperor also institutes a new law: the Right of Revocation, which simply states that the Emperor of California has the right to revoke the titles of anyone who would betray the throne. The Imperial Council, nothing more than a group of toadies and puppets, is only too happy to throw their support behind the new law. The remaining Kings of California complain about Imperial overreach, but none make any serious moves to stop Emperor Thao I, as they quickly find out the Right of Revocation allows them to revoke titles from traitors.

Between bouts of reform and legislation, Emperor Thao I still takes time to study the sky and work on his essay on celestial bodies, even when it hurts Imperial tax collection, not that the emperor really notices.

Emperor Thao I’s work seems to pay off when he predicts a major meteor shower; he invites his court to come watch with him, only for the predicted meteor shower to not actually happen. A humiliated emperor learns to measure twice and cut once.

Still, even with the bitter taste of failure in his mouth, the emperor continues to be a powerhouse of Imperial reform. Under him, tax collection becomes efficient, easy, and effective; the treasury bulges with gold from owed back taxes, previously uncollected under Emperor Reuben II.

Empress Jessica announces in July that she is once again pregnant; an overjoyed Emperor Thao I makes sure that she is well taken care of, now that he is not consumed with the stars.

In September, word reaches the emperor that the Prefecture of Goldengate, the jewel in the crown of Gran Francisco, has fallen to barbarian sea raiders from the far north. An important part of California, both for the Cetic faith and for the tolls it collects, Emperor Thao I cannot allow Goldengate to remain out of Imperial control; a holy war for the prefecture is declared not long after.

Mittens, the emperor’s beloved cat, also passes away in September. Emperor Thao I picks a small plot in the Imperial gardens for her grave, along with a small, short ceremony in her memory. She will truly be missed.

The bureaucracy of Socal is finally fully integrated with the Imperial bureaucracy towards the end of September in 2687; the emperor’s assurances that they will still be mostly autonomous from the main branch of bureaucracy, along with the endorsement of Imam Karim II, finally wins the Imamite bureaucrats over.

In February of 2688, Emperor Thao I’s second son is born and is named after the emperor. By all accounts he is a healthy, normal baby.

The Battle of San Rafael marks the first major battle in the Reconquest of Goldengate; the northern barbarians are easily defeated; during the battle, a young Valleyan noble, named Max, manages to recapture his regiment’s lost battle standard, earning himself fame and glory, as well as the attention of Emperor Thao I, who invites him to stay at his court in Sacramento.

The second battle of the war takes place at Daly, when a barbarian army, led by the so-called “High Queen of Goldengate,” makes landfall. During the Battle of Daly, Emperor Thao I proves himself once again worthy of his position, as he joins in the battle with his men, slaying many barbarians. That night, his men sing songs in praise of his skills not just in court but in battle; the most popular of these is “When the Emperor Came to Goldengate,” which goes into full, gory detail about the Battle of Daly and Emperor Thao I’s role during it.

The Battle of Daly marks the end of the Reconquest of Goldengate; the High Queen is forced to surrender the prefecture to the emperor on June 27, 2688. Instead of returning the land to Gran Francisco, Emperor Thao I gives Goldengate to his brother and long time ally, Prince Khais; the King of Gran Francisco is besides himself with rage at the move, but the emperor is quick to point out that it was he who lost the prefecture, not the emperor. Powerless to stop him, King Walter I must watch as Emperor Thao I crowns Prince Khais the ruler of Goldengate.

In celebration of his reconquest of Goldengate, Emperor Thao I distributes a large amount of grain to the citizens of Sacramento, much to their pleasure; Emperor Thao I is quickly becoming a favorite among the common people of California.

Peace returns to California, one where Emperor Thao I is the undisputed ruler of the Golden State. With his popularity at an all time high and a competent and loyal bureaucracy at his beck and call, it seems as though nothing can stop the rise of the new emperor.

4 Likes

That blue text on black background is maddening.
So what’s the total imperial authority like at this point? Probably as high as it gets, right?

For Thao I’s reign, it hovers around 80% to 90%, which is pretty good.

The way it works is that 0%-49%, you’re a figurehead emperor (with the accompanying trait), at 50%-74% you’re a normal emperor, and at 75%+ you’re a strong emperor. While there’s not much reason to have anything beyond 75% imperial authority, mostly to weather the odd malus, when your emperor dies, your score drops by 20% or worse if you’re a kid, have low stewardship and low learning, or if you have slow or inbred, so having it at 100% will let you survive a couple bad rulers, since you can pretty reliably raise it up a couple points in with grain distribution and writing new teachings. The fun comes if you appoint a Governatus or your regent or council force you to assign one, because they have more opportunities to fuck with imperial authority.

If you rebuild the train museum Sacramento will really love you.

1 Like

Chapter 8 - The Peaceful Years

September sees Empress Jessica telling the emperor that she is pregnant with their third child; Emperor Thao I is, as always, happy with the news.

The emperor also finally proves his ability to his colleagues in the Ivy League and is granted the privileged of being made a Lecturer. He is humbled by the League’s faith in him.

In April of 2689, little Kyra is born to the Imperial family to little fanfare, beyond the proper ceremonies in Sacramento.

Peace seems to agree with the emperor and with California in general; taxes for 2690 are the highest they’ve been in a years and Sacramento prospers under the benevolent rule of Emperor Thao I.

Perhaps hoping to preserve this peace, Emperor Thao I chooses to try his hand at diplomacy instead of war; High Chief Nolan of the Death Valley has long made it known that he wishes to be recognized as one of the kings of California and so, after some negotiation, Emperor Thao I recognizes the Death Valley as an essential part of California and grants High Chief Nolan all the rights and privileges guaranteed that comes with the title. In exchange, the Death Valley recognizes the right of the emperor to rule over them and King Nolan I pledges his vassalage to the Imperial Throne.

Emperor Thao I quickly sends Imperial bureaucrats to the Death Valley, taking the first steps to turn the tribal kingdom into a model Cetic kingdom. Of course, it helps that the Imperial bureaucrats increasingly tie the Death Valley to Sacramento.

Distressing news comes out of Mexico; taking a page from the Mormons of Deseret, the beleaguered Sagrado Corazón declare a new age of holy wars, with the goal of reconquering all of Mexico for the Saints. Only time will tell if these “Reconquistas” will threaten the Empire.

The expansion of the Imperial bureaucracy under Emperor Thao I necessitates a new office for the Imperial bureaucrats to work out of; construction for such a building begins in Sacramento in March of 2690. The emperor makes it known to his royal builders that there is no expense to big when to comes to the new headquarters; he wants his bureaucrats to be able to do their jobs to the best of their abilities, with all possible conveniences at their disposal.

Towards the end of summer, the peasants of Mariposa rise up against the emperor, claiming that Imperial taxes are too high. The Imperial Army swiftly defeats them before the end of summer.

As 2690 draws to a close, Emperor Thao I announces a grand tournament, set to coincide with the start of the new year. He invites all the kings of California to attend, a few of the more notable Gaian tribes, and the King of Deseret. To the surprise of no one, the Mormon king declines.

As it turns out, Emperor Thao I has ulterior motives for hosting the tournament; the County of San Benito, once a part of Gran Francisco, has managed to win its independence from King Walter I under the peasant turned aristocrat Nakamura Thavi. During the tournament, the emperor invites the count to join him for a private dinner, where he manages to woo Count Thavi with promises of legitimacy and Imperial recognition; the cost is his vassalage. Slowly, but surely, the once proud Gran Francisco is chipped away at.

Apparently, the northern barbarians are unhappy with the reconquest of Goldengate; in particular is one named Emmy Campbell, the Queen of Vancouver. Her vicious raids become the stuff of legends and it almost makes the emperor regret reclaiming Goldengate. Almost.

The grand tournament comes to an end in February of 2691, with Prince Khais its victory; his strong arm and stout heart brings glory to House Armour.

In March, Emperor Thao I finishes his long worked on book; titled the Song of Thao, it is a retelling of the Formation War, where Elton the Lawgiver first formed the Empire of California. It draws several favorable comparisons between the Lawgiver and Emperor Thao I, ultimately drawing the conclusion that House Armour is the spiritual successor to the old Yudkow emperors, before the dynasty fell into disrepair under Elton IV.

The people of Tahoe send representatives to Sacramento requesting help with Mormon highway men; Emperor Thao I responds by building a series of outposts along the roads, staffed by Death Valley tribesmen. Soon, the highway men are a thing of the past and the overall prosperity of Tahoe increases, as trade flows through the region.

A dispute between Imam Karim II and some peasants reaches the emperor in September; apparently, the Imam set up a tent on the farmer’s land, which destroyed some of his crops. Ultimately, Emperor Thao I pays for the farmer’s lost crops out of the Imperial treasury, all for a favor from the Imam, to be named in the future.

Emperor Thao I doesn’t wait long to call in the favor; he uses it to push for a vote on an expansion of the Right of Revocation. This expansion redefines the term “traitor” as anyone who is not of the Cetic faith; this small revision is hidden beneath many sub-clauses and many minor, unimportant changes. Imam Karim II votes in lock step with the rest of the Imperial Council, completely missing the fact that the revision mostly targets the Imamite rulers of Socal.

In December, Emperor Thao I sends a missive to Imam Karim II, demanding he step down from his position as king of Socal, relinquish all his other titles and claims on his land, and present himself in Sacramento for his treason trial. The stunned and outplayed Imam declines and declares war on the emperor, claiming he is in violation of establish Imperial law; the Imamites of Socal are an accepted religion within the Cetic administration of the Empire of California and have been nothing but faithful servants of House Armour. Emperor Thao I does not care.

4 Likes

Chapter 9 - The Imamite Rebellion

The Empire of California is divided once again, with the Imamites of Socal rising up against Emperor Thao I. The kings of Jefferson and Gran Francisco abstain from joining in to defeat the Imamite Rebellion; a strong, religiously unified Empire only strengthens Emperor Thao I’s authority, but they dare not move against an emperor so beloved by the commoners of California.

Still, the emperor is not without allies; the Count of Solano, a rebel named Kevin who won his independence from Gran Francisco, makes it know that Solano stands with the empire and publicly pledges himself to the the emperor. Emperor Thao I accepts his vassalage, taking another bite out of Gran Francisco.

Word reaches the Imperial Court that the foolish Christians of the Far East have decided to copy the Mormons, as the Catholic Pope and Ursuline Abbess-General declare a new age of Crusades within days of each other.

Emperor Thao I, looking for a quick way to end the Imamite Rebellion, begins reading up on Old World strategy and weapons, the most intriguing of which is the “firearm,” or a arrowless bow that could fire hot lead over a great distance. The emperor sends out his most competent bureaucrats to find him one of these firearms and bring it back to Sacramento so that it may be studied and reproduced.

Nearly a year after the start of the Imamite Rebellion, the Imamite army captures Nellis, a city outside of Las Vegas. Its a disheartening bit of news, as the Imperial Army is still preparing for war and has no hope of responding for several months.

But what a response it is; the Battle of Las Vegas proves that the Imperial Army is far more capable than it was under Emperor Reuben II, as the Imamites are driven from Las Vegas and Nellis is freed from their tyrannical rule.

In May of 2693 a strange letter arrives in Sacramento; from High Chief Samuel of the Silver Bow tribe, the letter pledges his life to Emperor Thao I and asks for his blessing for him and his people. Apparently, priests from the Kingdom of Jefferson have successfully converted the high chief and his people to the Cetic faith, without any prompting from Emperor Thao I. The emperor welcomes the people of Silver Bow to the Cetic community and gives them his blessing.

The Imperial Army and the Imamites next meet on the fields of Hollywood, where the rebels are soundly defeated. Following the battle, a soldier by the name of Freddy presents Emperor Thao I with an Old World firearm; the grateful emperor invites Freddy to join the Imperial Court. The firearm is sent to Sacramento, to see if the royal smiths can figure out its secrets.

As the summer wanes, the Imamites attempt their old tactic of sneaking into the Valley through Bako County; the Imperial Army is ready for them and they are beaten back at Oildale.

Not long after the Battle of Oildale, Emperor Thao I’s smiths present him with a refurbished firearm; he’s so pleased with their work that he is able to overlook the fact that they have no practical way of making their own firearms. While the emperor’s dream of equipping every Imperial soldier are effectively dead, his ownership of a functioning firearm makes him a dangerous figure on the battlefield.

In October, Count Thavi of San Benito passes away; in his will, he leaves his lands and title to Emperor Thao I. The emperor takes it as a sign that further good things are in store for him.

As 2693 closes, Emperor Thao I finds himself once again in Tehachapi, again with the goal of conquering it; by now the siege of the city has become almost routine.

2694 starts with the first Catholic Crusade; thankfully the Far East faith cares nothing for the Empire and instead focuses on conquering the Kingdom of Chicagoland in the name of the Pope. Emperor Thao I prays that the Catholics will remain distracted for a long, long time.

As the war continues, it becomes clearer and clearer that Imam Karim II has no hope of winning, as the Imamites lose city after city and battle after battle to the Imperial Army.

2694 turns into 2695 and the renovations of the Imperial Palace continue; this time, a rotting library, long buried and flooded, is discovered. Emperor Thao I orders his men to recover whatever books he can, as well as making the library fit for use once again. The builders are able to recover several original works by the first Yudkow Emperors, once thought completely lost to time; Emperor Thao I makes sure these works are made available to the general public, as they hold tremendous insights and knowledge.

In April, the new bureaucratic offices in Sacramento are finally finished; their completion promises a new age of tax collection and bureaucratic oversight. Their addition to the city draws in peasants from the surrounding countryside, looking for jobs within the ever expanding Imperial bureaucracy.

Finally, in May, the Imamite Rebellion comes to an end; facing bankruptcy and rebellious Cetic peasants, as well as a completely depleted army, Imam Karim II surrenders all his titles to Emperor Thao I, and renounces his claims on all Imperial lands. As a token gesture, the emperor grants independence to the Imamite ruler of the duchy of Altar in Mexico and offers to pay for any Imamite families that wish to move there before the start of 2696. Forced to choose between the harsh desert that is Altar and the safety and relative comfort of the Californian Empire, most Imamites choose to remain in California.

Emperor Thao I immediately begins reorganizing Socal into a model Cetic kingdom; Socal still remains a majority Cetic kingdom, so the emperor simply raises local Cetic counts to the office of Prefect. This makes him more than a few allies within the kingdom.

He also continues to remove Imamites from power where he can; when questioned as to why he continues to persecute the Imamite aristocracy of Socal, Emperor Thao I simply states, “The Empire cannot survive with two souls; we must dedicate ourselves to the one that has given us the greatest strength. That soul, I believe, is Ceticism.”

While Emperor Thao I continues to reform the aristocracy of Socal, the Catholics manage to achieve what the Mormons could not: victory in their great holy war. Chicagoland’s new ruler, Queen Jilly I, is a rallying figure for the Christians of the Far East, a symbol of for the renewed light of Christ.

Perhaps the greatest threat, in Emperor Thao I’s opinion, to the stability of the Empire is the Imamite Los Angeles merchant republic; the original backers of the Imamite take over of Socal, the emperor refuses to suffer this den of vipers any longer than necessary. When he demands that the republic’s families give up their titles and claims on the city and its surrounding environs, they predictably declare themselves an independent state; unfortunately, the Imperial Army just so happens to be stationed in Los Angeles. The resulting war is quick and brutal.

Emperor Thao I uses the Los Angeles War as a lesson for his son and heir, Prince Pollock; while touring the great city, the emperor explains how he was able to do achieve all he did during his life time, before issuing a challenge to his son: do better than he. Prince Pollock becomes annoyed with his father and his constant lessons, claiming that when he is emperor, thinks will be different…

The final battle of the Los Angeles War takes place December of 2696, near the city of Orange; while leading the Imperial Army, Emperor Thao I has an epiphany about making the most use out of the surrounding terrain.

Peace is finally made in February of 2697 and the Imamite Republic of Los Angeles is no more; a local Cetic teacher, named Charles, is elevated to the Prefect of Los Angeles. It is the emperor’s hope that having a strong Cetic ruler will encourage the people of Los Angeles to return to the Cetic fold.

The Imamite heathens, long a thorn in Emperor Thao I’s side, have finally been removed from power in Socal, greatly increasing the stability of the Empire. For the first time in thirty years, California is unified under the Cetic faith; the biggest blunder of Emperor Elton IV is finally reversed, all thanks to House Armour.

4 Likes

For a moment I thought that TYCOON STEPPEN was the character’s full name and not title+name and I was disappointed we couldn’t play as someone with as awesome a name.

Also the more that this mod tries to talk about the Old World the more that I think that a Hungry City Chronicles mod would be wild but probably impossible to model with a Paradox engine.

1 Like

Chapter 10 - The Great Reform

As is the tradition, upon his return to Sacramento following a victorious war, Emperor Thao I distributes grain to the people of the city. Unfortunately, it turns out that he has been given a stock of moldy and rotten grain, greatly angering the people. Following the debacle, he spends nearly a month distributing fresh grain to the people of the city, costing the Empire an obscene amount of money. In the end, the emperor is able reclaim his reputation as a man of the people.

The emperor also spends some time on writing a new work of Cetic philosophy; titled The Parable of the Two Souls, it outlines his reasoning as to why he could not allow the Imamite aristocracy of Socal to continue to exist. Many agree that this new work is a worthy addition to the Cetic canon.

Emperor Thao I also begins introducing his heir, Prince Pollock, to the realm; a grand feast is planned for the end of summer, where all the lords of California can fully meet the prince.

As it turns out, Prince Pollock is a natural people-pleaser, as his manners and intelligence charm the emperor’s many vassals; Emperor Thao I basks in the reflected light on his son.

The emperor also uses the feast to announce the Great Reform, a series of council approved laws and reforms that should hopefully ease their burden and allow for better governance. In reality, they greatly favor the emperor, giving him sweeping powers to change Imperial succession and determine what actions constitute treason. Thanks to the never ending wine and the excellent food, his vassals largely miss the subtext of the Great Reform.

Emperor Thao I pays some of his more competent vassals to further educate Prince Pollock in the art of war and the intricacies of Cetic thought. They are only too happy to have a chance to work with the charming prince.

The feast is a spectacular success, as the lords of California are greatly impressed with the young prince; his reputation as a competent diplomat is sure to help him in the future, when he takes the Imperial Throne.

Prince Pollock is quickly married to his cousin Fine, the daughter of Prince Khais; the marriage ensures that the two branches of House Armour will forever be entwined.

On the day of his marriage to Fine, Emperor Thao I takes his son aside for a private conversation; he tells him he is proud of the man he has become and has great hopes for his future, as well as reminding him that he carries the weight of California on his shoulders. Prince Pollock, for his part, reaffirms his commitment to being the best ruler he can be.

Never one to rest on his laurels, Emperor Thao I continues his bureaucratic reforms; the Great Reform will take some time to be fully integrated into the laws of California, and this latest batch of reforms is geared towards speeding up that integration.

The emperor also sends out his most competent bureaucrats to find him a smith worthy of adding to the Imperial regalia. Not long after, he soon receives a visit from a goldsmith known as Isaac; Emperor Thao I provides Isaac with a modest budget.

When he hears that Isaac its taking his time with the new regalia, the emperor decides to check in on him; he finds Isaac flirting with one of his courtiers, a woman by the name of Marla. Emperor Thao I chides the man for being distracted instead of working on his task; Marla and Isaac grumble, but the goldsmith gets back to work.

Emperor Thao I’s reforms do not go over well and instead of speeding up the integration of the Great Reform, he actually manages to slow it down, much to his great disappointment.

Isaac finishes his new pieces for the Imperial regalia, a small engraved dagger and a necklace of pearls; the emperor is happy with his work and proudly displays his new jewels.

The emperor also publishes a new set of religious teachings, titled The Wilted Flower; focusing on the passage of time and the slow approach of death, it ends with the narrator revealing that he has bested Death by living on in the hearts and minds of the people. The work is immediately popular, offering people hope that they too can cheat death and live on through their loved ones and friends.

Summer brings strikeball to Sacramento; the Tuolumne Tigers are playing the Sacramento Imperials and Emperor Thao I is among the many fans that fill Imperial Field to watch the two teams play. A die-hard Tigers fan, the emperor goes against the grain and cheers his hometown boys; ultimately they lose, but the game is intense and engaging. As a reward for their excellent play, the emperor renovates Imperial Field, bringing it in line with Thao Field in Tuolumne.

In November of 2699, Princess Kyra, the emperor’s sister, requests to be made Grand Commander of the Imperial Army and be given a seat on the Imperial Council. Being of royal blood and a competent commander, her request is granted, much to the chagrin of the council.

It comes to the emperor’s attention that Sacramento, the greatest city in California, lacks the most basic of hospitals; he sets about correcting this oversight immediately. While he’s at it, he also commands a survey of all of Sacramento’s roads so that those in disrepair can be fixed and improved.

In September of 2700, Emperor Thao I begins work on his next great Cetic text; his work is partly inspired by an engaging conversation between himself and Lama Charles of Los Angeles. The resulting work, On the Lawgiver, is not one of the emperor’s best and he takes the time to revise it to make it truly shine.

The revised version of On the Lawgiver is much better received by the people of California and the emperor notices a small boost in his sway over the Imperial Court.

As 2700 becomes 2701, Emperor Thao I announces to the Imperial Court that his son, Prince Pollock, is to be made the new Count of San Benito; perhaps more importantly, he appoints the prince as the new Governatus of California. It becomes clear to all present that the time when the Governatus could operate outside the sphere of Imperial control is over; the office is now forever linked with the emperor.

3 Likes

Chapter 11 - Interesting Times

Sacramento’s roads are the envy of the Empire, increasing the capital’s efficiency and prosperity, so, in April of 2701 Emperor Thao I commissions his builders to bring the major roads within California up to the quality of Sacramento’s road network. It will take years to complete and cost drain much of the treasury, but the results should more than make up for the time and cost.

The Imperial Palace continues to need repairs, after its neglect by the Yudkow Emperors; an unnoticed leak in the armory threatens to ruin the palace guards’ weapons and armor, along with some relics once belonging to the Lawgiver. A frustrated emperor gives his sister a blank check to ensure that the armory is in tip top shape.

The Imamites continue to be a problem, as the Prefect of Los Padres, a man named Keaton, comes out as a secret Imamite. Los Padres is an important prefecture, as it contains Tejon Pass, which is the locked gate that guards the Valley from invasion; allowing it to be owned by an Imamite rebel is a threat to the security of California. Thankfully, the Imperial Guards are able to quickly arrest Prefect Keaton and drag him back to Sacramento, where he is stripped of his titles; Emperor Thao I elevates General Kyra’s son, his nephew, to the office of Prefect of Los Padres.

In the distant land of Ohio a new religion rises; headed by the Tycoon of the Reserve, Consumerism worships the all mighty Dollar and the Invisible Hand. Thankfully, the petty religious feuds of the Far East mean nothing to the great California.

In 2702, a merchant from Brasilia brings strange news: crippled by what he calls “A Praga Devastadora,” the August Empire is also dealing with a band of raiders known as the Gaúcho, who threaten to over run the empire. Hopefully, the August Emperor will be able to hold them back, lest they take over all of South America.

2702 turns into the year of terrible news: a new strand of the Imamite heresy known as Orientalists, have been united under “the Viceroy,” with the explicit goal of reconquering the Sun Coast Kingdom, more commonly known as Florida. This goal puts them in direct conflict with the Holy Columbian Confederacy, which claims all of the Old World South; thankfully, the HCC is ready to stand against these invaders.

In August, a coup replaces King Walter of Gran Francisco with his sister, Sapphire; backed by the Kingdom of Jefferson, it is a clear attempt by King Stanford III to try to expand his influence within California as a counterweight to Emperor Thao I. The emperor will not let this stand and, as soon as Queen Sapphire is crowned, he declares war for the Prefecture of Wineland, claiming that historically it was directly governed by the emperor.

The emperor also begins working on making sure history remembers him in the same way it remembers Elton the Lawgiver; it will take time and effort, but in the end it’ll be worth it, if it makes House Armour remembered as paragon of art and philosophy.

The Wineland War initially goes in Gran Francisco’s favor, as the Imperial Army is slow to wake; early victories Marina, Yountville, and Napa embolden the Franciscan forces and give them hope for a swift victory.

These hopes are dashed at the Battle of Vallejo, where a massive Imperial force crushes the Franciscan army; the Franciscans lose nearly half their number, while the Imperials lose only ten men. It is a stark reminder that the Empire is not to be underestimated.

In November, Princess Alice the Pale is married to High Chief Nolan II of Death Valley; the marriage lends legitimacy to the claim that Death Valley is a true Californian kingdom.

The Mormons, having caught wind of the Wineland War, decide it is the perfect time for another Great Expedition; it once again targets Socal, hoping to crack open California for the Children of Zion.

But, instead of rushing into Las Vegas, the Mormons remain quiet through most of the Wineland War. Emperor Thao I takes advantage of this silence to quickly conquer Wineland for the Empire so that he can focus on the Mormons.

King Stanford III of Jeffeson pledges to support Emperor Thao I during the Second Socal Expedition; not too long after several regiments of Jeffersonian troops arrive in Sacramento, ready to fight the Mormons.

The Wineland War ends in September 2703, barely a year after its start; another coup has ousted Queen Sapphire and replaced her with a distant member of House Yudkow. Broke and tired, King Elton I surrenders the Prefecture of Wineland to the emperor.

The first and only battle of the Second Socal Expedition takes place at Havasu Falls. The Mormon army, barely 600 strong, crumbles before the superior Imperial Army.

Las Vegas is reinforced and its old fort rebuilt by the Imperial Army; as the only way the Mormons can attack California, Las Vegas is a linchpin in the defense of the Empire.

2703 turns to 2704, which then turns to 2705 without much fanfare; one could almost be excused for forgetting the Empire is at war with the Mormons. With Las Vegas locked down, the Mormons can only stare across the Hoover Dam and gnash their teeth in frustration. Finally, in February of 2706, after three years of stalemate, the Mormon President agrees to a white peace, ending the Second Socal Expedition. For managing to beat back the Mormons not once, but twice, Emperor Thao I becomes known as “the Glorious.”

2706 starts with a victory over the enemies of California, promising a bright future for the Empire; with Emperor Thao I at the helm of state, nothing seems impossible for the Golden State.

4 Likes