The Dub Defender Has Logged On - Let's Play Yakuza 1

Today, Kiryu faces consequences for his actions. Haruka isn’t happy with being sidelined, and it’s up to Kiryu to keep her from getting into too much trouble!

1 Like

:tw: This episode contains an extended suicide attempt that is played for laughs at the beginning and some pretty blatant anti-black racism at the end. There are “plot-related” cutscenes in this episode, but honestly, you can safely skip it. :tw:

Haruka went through some shit last time, so her new Uncle Kiryu is going to do his best to cheer her up!

1 Like

Having played all the Yakuzas with Akimoto and Mizuki, I can assure you that they don’t get any better, but that I do have their cries of “Akimoto-kun!” and “Mizuki-chan!” stuck in my head for all eternity.

Oh no, Chinchironin. I’ve started replaying the first two Suikodens now that Eiyuden is a thing and I’m not looking forward to the bullshit that is II’s version of that game.

Thankfully, that sidequest is the longest screentime Emoto gets.

2 Likes

And after a brief hiatus that I planned but completely forgot to announce, we’re back!

It’s time for Nishki to finally make his return to the story! If you’re only familiar with him through Yakuza 0, this episode is probably going to be more than a little jarring.

1 Like

This time on Yakuza, Haruka gets kidnapped by the gangs! It’s up to Kiryu to single-handedly destroy all non-Yakuza organized crime!

1 Like

Kiryu has a lead, but can he follow up on it without getting distracted by substories? Find out in this week’s episode of Yakuza!

1 Like

This week, Kiryu has to infiltrate a Chinese restaurant. I’m sure it will go well, Kiryu won’t kill anyone, and it won’t be followed up with one of the worst gameplay segments in the game.

1 Like

In a more supportive society, being slammed bodily through a table by Kiryu would not be a threat to one’s livelihood. Therefore, it is not Kiryu’s fault if you lose your crime-restaurant job and die homeless. That’s on capitalism.

2 Likes

This week, we learn there’s a traitor in our midst, and learn who that traitor is! Things quickly go from bad to worse for Kiryu, as he finally gets another call from Shinji. It’s time for a new problem that requires our immediate attention!

1 Like

With Shinji and Reina both potentially bleeding out, there’s only one thing to do. Substories!

1 Like

What’s that? It’s time for more substories? And we’re doing the Gangbuster subplot, which is just a series of identical fights? Joy!

1 Like

:tw: Regrettably, it is time for another content warning regarding transphobia, from 5:35 to 8:33. Personally, I think it veers closer to “clueless dumb-ass transphobia” than “active malice transphobia,” but you don’t have to put up with either if you do not want to.

This episode, we tackle yet more sidequests! There are, like, an absurd number of sidequests that open up at this moment given what’s supposed to be happening in the main story!

This week, we finally more the plot forward again! We storm the abandoned building in an effort to save Shinji and Reina, but it appears that a certain memetic guest character is trying to stop us! Find out who!

1 Like

This week, we need to find Shinji’s girlfriend. We know where she is; the problem is how to get in.

1 Like

Today, we infiltrate a soapland, watch my favorite cutscene in the whole game, and learn where to find Kazama Shinto. But never mind that shit! Here comes Majima!

1 Like

Tune in to the most disappointing update! We finish up our sidquests and prepare to take on the Bonus Boss!

1 Like

It’s time for the penultimate episode! Kiryu returns to Kamurocho to find an angry mob waiting for him!

1 Like

It’s time for the end of Yakuza! We face off against Jingu, who Kiryu has literally never met up until this point. But don’t worry, we get at least one face-off with emotional stakes!