The Best Things In Life Are Free: the “free games” thread

Video games are good, y’all, in fact, sometimes they are so good, that they don’t have to be fun in the strictest sense of the word; but they can be a little pricey, good thing some of them are free though!.. right?

I’d like this to be a thread where we can recommend some free to play games that we think are good, interesting, or just worth taking a look at (for good or bad reasons) , whether they are more traditional games, mobile games, or even flash games.
We can also discuss free games themselves, and things associated with them, for example:

• Do you think it’s worth having ads inside a game, even if they interrupt you?
  • What about games that only sell cosmetic, or other non-beneficial, items?
  • If there is a “premium currency”, should you be able to obtain it in-game?
  • Is a “pay to win” model justified? How do you think it could be better handled?

But first, some rules please:
Don´t be a jerk to people over what they like, or don’t like.
Respect other’s opinions don’t go telling people that they’re “wrong” for liking something; we’re just sharing opinions here.

1 Like

To start things off, I’d like to recommend “Symmetry: Path to Perfection”, a mobile puzzle game available for iOS and Android, where the premise is that you’re given a two grid, where one side has colored squares, and you have to reflect them on the other grid (I included an image, to better illustrate it). The game is free with ads, but you can pay to remove them (there are several amounts to choose, but I believe there isn’t any other difference) .

Summary

http://imgur.com/uIAM7dg

The game gradually increases the difficulty, not only by making the grids bigger, but adding other mechanics, such as different colored squares, set squares that will end the round if pressed, and more.
Apart from the main mode, there are 3 others; “Zen Mode”, where you can continuously play rounds without any hindrances, “Infinity”, a sort of time-attack mode, and a two player mode, where you can play against a friend, to see who can complete grids faster.

Nice thread.

I like this a lot, but I’m not very good at it.

Ads-in-game and such? Generally, fuck, no; life is too short. I’ll take a free game if it has good intentions, if it’s someone’s skill-display or an outdated thing, rarely for any other reason and I’d never bother with pay-to-win/find the whole concept odious.

1 Like

I´ve seen Hydorah before, but had no idea it was a free game! thanks for posting it here, don’t know if I’d be good at it though. :sweat_smile:

I usually have no problem with ads in game, but it depends mostly in just how intrusive they are, and when it comes to pay-to-win things, I find it very annoying, especially when a spokesperson talks about how it’s “optional”, or they are just “giving their players options”, when it’s obvious they just want money, by the very fact they put it there.

The vast majority of locomalito’s games are free.
Here’s the official place to get them https://www.locomalito.com/

1 Like

Nice thread. :grinning:

Do you think it’s worth having ads inside a game, even if they interrupt you?

I never really had any problems with ads. Would I rather not have to do deal with them? Sure, but they’re not immersion breaking. Not to mention we already get a ton of developer/publisher/whatever logo videos upon booting the game. Might as well stick another one in there.

What about games that only sell cosmetic, or other non-beneficial, items?

My problem with this is usually how overboard they go with what’s being offered simply because it’s marketable. I don’t really like seeing a schoolgirl outfit in my totes serious business MMORPG, for example. Devs need to pay more attention that what IS being offered actually fits into the existing game world.

If there is a “premium currency”, should you be able to obtain it in-game?

Yes. And don’t screw me over with currency conversions from real money into monopoly money because you don’t like rounding things up. With MMORPGs I prefer having the option to get premium currency with regular currency as well.

Is a “pay to win” model justified? How do you think it could be better handled?

Justified? No, but I also think people lost sense of what Pay2Win actually means and now bawk at everything sold in a store. Take Guild Wars 2 for example where people are still freaking out EXP boosters are Pay2Win.

1 Like

I agree with you, although I have an even bigger gripe with bringing in things from other games, maybe it somehow fits, like an MMORPG bringing in something recognizable from Final Fantasy, but I still dislike it.

I guess some people have a problem with stuff that seems more like a leg up, just as much as things like that premium tank, which was too hard to hurt without using premium ammo against it, in World of Tanks.

I want to tell y’all about a really good game, “Really Bad Chess”; a mobile game, which is just like chess, except that you (and your opponent) receive one king and the other 15 pieces are randomized, and you also have the option to undo moves (by a set amount of times); but other than that, it’s just like chess. The game’s stardard mode is “ranked”, in that everytime you defeat the AI, it will get harder by leveling out the advantage you are given with your pieces; it also has daily and weekly challenges, where you play with a set board, and a freeplay mode, where you can set the difficulty and have an unlimited amound of undos.
The game is free, but by paying once, you unlock a mode to play against friends locally, removes ads, displays captured pieces, and adds alternate color-palettes.

1 Like