She's got the Skittles to pay the bills. Let's Play Darkened Skye

Does anyone know if there are snakes in this game?

1 Like

…Wow, this game is magical. Strapping in for this wild ride.

I was saving this for later in the LP, but since you brought it up I had to address it in this update:

Part 2 - Hey Nonny Nonny

2 Likes

The more I watch of this the more I can’t believe that this is, like, a real game. I’m so glad it is, though.

You know, for a while the gameplay seemed oddly passable for a licensed game. I was wondering when it was going to get heinous. Now, now is the point when it gets heinous. They just had to bring extensive platforming into it.

Also for some reason the voice of the fish riders makes me deeply, profoundly uncomfortable.

1 Like

Cool LP so far! Jumping on the bandwagon fo say that putting the journals in the corner when they come up works pretty well. Man, I almost wish this game had been legitimately good gameplay-wise and sold amazingly well so we’d have gotten even more terrible licensed games with sarcastic plots.Though, I’m also kind of glad it didn’t. The last thing we need is a PvP zombie survival game where the only cure for being bitten is a Snickers bar.

Do you reckon that when Necroth was going about his plan to steal the rainbow there was a point where he was just sitting in his throne, gloating about his plans, and he uttered the words “Yes, victory is nearly in my grasp! Soon, only I shall possess the power of the rainbow! I can almost… taste it.”?

I’ve never eaten Skittles. They seem similar to M&Ms though, and I’ve had those. M&Ms also had a real nice licensed game in M&M’s Kart Racing.

I miss these nonsensical licensed games. I blame iOS for taking over so much of that market. :frowning2:

Skittles are fruit-flavored chew-something, not candy-coated chocolate.

Putting both in the same bowl is considered a valid prank as long as you don’t mind not having any friends.

3 Likes

Joke’s on them, I’m a pro Skittles eater.

Looking forward to seeing the tropical flavor texture hack in action!

1 Like

Right, okay, but have you ever just crammed a handful of both in your giant gob with wild abandon?

You will want to die. Right there.

Don’t forget Chex Quest the ultimate licensed game/Doom WAD.

2 Likes

This game is so amazingly ridiculous. For example: Most of the images used in Ganneth’s little exposition scene come from the actual for real Skittles® commercials that were around at the time.

Thank you, Fiendly, for playing this game so that I don’t have to!

Fiendly I’m curious, how did you come across this game? Did you end up purchasing it not knowing it was a Skittles tie-in or did you know what it was about when you first picked it up? It really feels like they went out of their way to hide the Skittles element, I wouldn’t be surprised if some people were completely blindsided by it.

Also I gotta say, I really love that Skye is voiced by Linda Larkin, aka the voice of Princess Jasmine.

Update: Part 3 - Seashell and The Bugs

I’m sure there are some people out there who are into S&Ms.

I found this game on the Something Awful LP request thread years ago (it’s long since been purged now that they cycle out requests that aren’t fulfilled with six months). I just noticed the interesting title Darkened Skye while browsing, looked it up, said “Oh my God” aloud several times while reading its Wikipedia entry and added it to my own LP to-do list. Luckily, Chowder a few posts up had exactly the experience you described which confirms that it can and did happen.

Whoa, I didn’t know that! Her voice was immediately familiar, but I couldn’t place it and never looked it up after I didn’t recognize the actor’s name. That’s incredible.

6 Likes

Okay listen.

I first rented this game at Blockbuster around the same time it came out. There was a single copy.

The second Skittles were mentioned, I was confused. I was also 11 at the time, so I thought that, maybe, I was just misunderstanding something. But no, there they were. Skittles. Blatant Skittles.

A week later, I returned the game. Years passed and, no matter who I asked, no one knew about “The Game With The Skittles”. Was it an incredibly vivid dream? The red haired woman with the flying imp and the Skittles?

No. It was real. And it was this game. Thank you so much for confirming that I wasn’t just dreaming over a decade ago.

1 Like

I thought I’d give this thread some eye candy to balance out all the regular candy talk.

For a game where the colours of the rainbow are a big deal, you’d think they’d maybe give the romantic lead some bright colourful eyes instead of the soulless death pits he currently has. Or maybe as Fiendly suggests in the last video, that’s indication that Dorian isn’t to be trusted… time will tell I suppose!

5 Likes

Hearing stories of people getting inadvertently tricked into playing the Skittles game almost makes me wish I’d titled the thread “An unwelcome taste of the rainbow.”

The fanart above has me ever so fluffled and rustered. It really captures his eyes, or lack thereof as the case may be. And to think I was gonna skip this LP on the grounds of “Who’s gonna put up with this mess?” Thanks @ShawiniganHandshake, that’s getting a special place in the OP with the next update!

I’m glad you like it! It was a fun little doodle to make, I hope I made him sufficiently hunky for everyone.

On the note of the thread, I originally passed over it because I assumed that the Skittles mention in the title was probably just a joke at the expense of something in the game. When I actually opened up the thread and I saw that this game is legitimately about Skittles I started watching and was hooked by the end of the first episode. I can’t wait to see what comes next.

Your loyalty to the Skittles game is about to be tested as we leap through pseudo-Atlantis in today’s update:

Part 4 - Trust Squall

3 Likes

The background music for this level is magical.