Roger Rabbit this ain't - Let's Play Toonstruck

The Cutifier can’t bring anyone back to life. I doubt it can erase memories either so Marge and Polly are going to have to have an interesting reevaluation of their relationship after this.

1 Like

Aw, thank you so much! You came in just around the midpoint of the LP, we’ve got another 5 videos to go of the main game and then there’ll be some bonus videos that’ll come out just before Halloween (So look forward to some spooky Toonstruck fun around then!).

I’m going to spoiler tag this in case anyone wants to avoid end of the game spoilers After we get the Cutifier all fixed up we get locked in Nefarious’ castle and never get to see what’s become of Cutopia before the game ends. I sort of wonder if that might’ve been something they would’ve done if they hadn’t been pressed for time/money and had to end the game prematurely.

Here’s Part 7! We’re so close to finishing the Cutifier, but first we have to bust out of this jail cell! Sadly this part was recorded before Nidoking provided his solution for sliding puzzles, so I didn’t get to test out his process (But I at least figured out how to speed up footage in premiere to make it a little less painful for everyone to sit through).

1 Like

Since we’re so close to finishing the device, one thing I always have kind of wondered is, how would one go about converting this blueprint into a Zanytizer? Would you want to go as lolrandum as possible (salt/pepper/socks) or would you want something thematic but not part of the actual pair (salt/pepper/mustard)? For that matter, aside from perhaps an increased propensity for swearing, would being Zanytized really make a meaningful change in Cutopians? They’re pretty weird little spuds already.

1 Like

Man, this is a really intriguing thought! Based on the Zanydu mouse causing a ruckus in the tavern, I assume a bunch of Zanyfied toons would wreak havoc on any remaining Cutopians (Sponsored by WACME, of course). I like the idea of something thematic, but not quite appropriate to the pairing to create a Zanytizer.

On the note of Zanyians, I always kinda wondered if there was any meaning to glean from Zanydu being an island separated from the mainland… Was that done to keep the extremely zany toons out of the rest of the toonworld? I kinda wish that the game played up King Hugh as a total despot, maybe there’s some kinda social hierarchy in the toonworld that he exploits… Could be an interesting way to reference how Drew’s being restricted by his Boss into only drawing cute, cuddly things when all Drew wants to do is cut loose with the zaniness! (I’m probably giving this way too much though)

I can’t remember specifics but I feel like I’ve seen this conceit before, except that it’s more explicit that the different nations/factions are broad categories of cartoon character. Cutopians are childrens’ show characters, toons in the vein of classic Looney Tunes or Disney seem to be some kind of arbitrarily assigned default (the cartoon equivalent of white people) without any distinct name of their own, the Malevolands seem to just be villains of any and all kinds, and the Zanydu-analog is, yes, where the really nutty toons are cloistered away so they’ll only bother each other. I suppose the confusion in Toonstruck’s case is that aside from a couple of exceptions like Bun Bun and the armadillo guards, there’s really nothing that makes one think, “these guys are definitely intended for the seven-and-under crowd.” Basically everyone else you meet in Cutopia could be a Zanian after a gallon of chamomile tea; and a couple, like Bricabrac and the Footman, feel sort of like Zanian immigrants (ala Fingers).

Zanydu kind of feels to me like it was colonized by the Zanians of their own accord; there may have been a period of time when Zanians and Cutopians were one people, divided by some kind of psycho-cultural split in ideology about, I don’t know, probably manners as the Cutopians told it and potato salad according to the Zanians. Tension brewed until finally the Cutopians had had enough. When the riots lasted about twenty seconds and consisted entirely of a million voices joined in a single cry of “Knock it off, you poopy-heads!” the Zanians all just sort of left awkwardly, feeling embarassed for their would-be oppressors. Cutopian history remembers it as a dark, shameful event for which they will never be able to make amends. I do like the idea of King Hugh as a despot, maintaining power by playing inter-racial conflicts off one another between principalities in his kingdom, but I also get sort of a sense that the three different locales represent distinct countries in their own right; Zanydu, being full of basically ungovernable nutbars, is perhaps more of an anarchist commune.

1 Like

Part 8 is here! This one is pretty cutscene heavy, so hopefully everyone can sit back and enjoy the show!

I rather like that Drew grabs his arm during his conversation with Nefarious before he’s actually told he’s been injected. Nice touch.

Yeah eh? It’s a nice subtle moment that I didn’t really expect from Toonstruck.

The whole scene with Nefarious is pretty great, gotta love a villain who knows to get shit done before you start monologuing to the hero. Of course, he still makes the classic mistake of letting the hero live instead of just killing him then and there, but I guess that wouldn’t make for a very exciting adventure game.

Part 9 is here! We get our first look around Nefarious’ castle.

EDIT: It just struck me, anyone who is watching this that wasn’t a 90s kid might have no idea what we’re talking about when comparing Snout to Mr. Bumpy. Feel free to have a look at the intro to Bump in the Night if you want a bit more context:

You have inflicted a very specific curse upon me - I can’t get the Duke of Zill song from the Felix the Cat movie out of my head now.

The Felix the Cat movie is completely baffling and I invite everyone to watch it at least once (Preferably in a group setting so you can get the emotional support you’ll need to actually make it through the movie).

Most films I liked as a kid I can rewatch and see some merit in them. Even if they’re not great, there’s usually some sort of charm to them. The Felix the Cat movie though? No idea what I was thinking.

Amazingly, the entire soundtrack is available on iTunes. Who would’ve thunk?

Here’s a link to the part of the movie featuring the Duke of Zill song for everyone not in the know. If you’re completely baffled by the visuals, that’s okay, it doesn’t make that much more sense even if you’ve actually watched the movie.

Part 10 is up! In this part we basically set out to ruin everything Nefarious owns.

I can’t believe I never considered putting a bare firecracker in the dumbwaiter.

Although at least one of those scenes seems familiar.

It’s funny, I had a similar moment re-watching your LP after having recorded all of mine. I never once attempted to go north in the Malevolands, for some reason I just figured that there was nothing to see. But as shown in your LP, we can actually get a closer shot of Nefarious’ castle!

I love the type of game where there’s always something new to see when someone else plays it, and this one goes above and beyond by having special acted and animated cutscenes for many of them. It’s pretty impressive that the whole thing fits on two CDs.

Off-topic, but this is exactly why I fell head over heels for the Labyrinth Commodore 64 game. I’m still really impressed how random an experience it can be, and how you have a lot of different options for getting through the game, getting out of the oubliettes, etc. Super charming game that everyone will experience differently.

Part 11 is here! This concludes our adventures in the land of Toonstruck, but stay tuned next week for our bonus videos, including creepy bit of fun just in time for Halloween.

It’s bonus time! We’ve got two videos this Sunday!

The first is a video going through some bonus footage, as well as a brief look into what could’ve been regarding Toonstruck 2.

In our second video, we decide to take a look at the Toonstruck 2, Creepypasta, just in time for Halloween.

And on that note, that wraps up this LP! Thanks everyone for joining us at our look at Toonstruck. I hope you all got some enjoyment out of this one.

1 Like

“Mr. Tambourine Man” in a William Shatner impression is one of the random lines Spike the Clown will say if you keep prodding him with your own random lines. He repeats it a few times, which probably made it seem like one of the more memorable lines. He also mentions gherkins in another line.

Henryk Kuzniak’s Tango D’Amore - I guess it works for a killer dentist chair scene.

1 Like